• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - Learning to be an Assassin, A Barbarian's Tale.

Week: The Third- Day 5.  

I think I am going to leave the story line for days when something interesting and worthy of the story happens.  Today was not such a day :)

1.  Carry my own Weight:

2/3

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

6.4 minutes of Six Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3 - I am planning on going to the rock climbing gym on Sunday for my first climb.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and one set of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  Eight sets in 16 minutes using my HR to determine when the next set starts.  I wait until my HR drops to 93 to start the next set.

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB.  My Get Ups were really strong today, well at least until the very last rep on my right side.  I was thinking how nice they were, lost focus, and bent my elbow on the way down...  

Simple and Sinister stretches and a Frog Stretch.

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Relax in Rivendell -

Not today.

S&S did feel really good today, and I got the 8 sets of swings in 16 minutes.  That is quite a bit faster than even in the last couple of weeks when I did 7 sets in 23 minutes.  I'm not timing my TGU's yet, but I do believe I have compressed that part of the program also.  I'll time it tomorrow to see where I am at.  It feels like I am getting close to moving up in weight for my Get Ups, but in no real hurry until I'm swinging 24 Kg one handed.

I did S&S in the morning, and worked on the yard this afternoon.  Mowed and edged the front and side yards, then pulled out the yellow bell peppers.  They are pretty much done and I need the spot for my Fall beets.  Well... the Yellow Jackets that were living there did not approve.  One got me on the knee.  Wasn't really sure how I'd react.  Bee and Wasp stings never really bothered me in the past, but with my meds and new lungs, really wasn't sure.  Thought I was having an issue, then figured out I was back to pre-transplant breathing.  Still haven't made normal breathing a total habit yet.  You would think that after 9 months and 1 day I'd have it down by now :)  When I wasn't breathing correctly I was wondering if my donor was allergic to wasps and bees?  If he was, would that transfer to me?  How did all that work?  I guess it doesn't matter, I didn't have a reaction :)

All this talk about KB competitions of late has given me a touch of the competition bug.  I found that StrongFirst has a "Tactical Strength Competition".

The Tactical Strength Challenge has three events:

• A Three Attempt Power Lifting Deadlift
  • Pullups for max reps
  • KB Snatches for max reps in 5 minutes (20 kg for my age)

I haven't done a deadlift in 30 or so years.  Can't yet do a pullup, and have never done a KB Snatch.  I'm really tempted to shot for trying this next year :)

• Like 4

Week: The Third- Day 6.  

I think I am going to leave the story line for days when something interesting and worthy of the story happens.  Today was not such a day  :)

1.  Carry my own Weight:

2/3

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

7.2 minutes of Six Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3 - I am planning on going to the rock climbing gym on Sunday for my first climb.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and one set of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  Did the 8 sets in 15 minutes today, I was keeping a closer eye on the HR reading.  The rest in between the 7th and 8th sets was the longest.  I kept monitoring HR until I had recovered after the 8th set.

KB%20Swings%208%20Sets%2010-3-15.jpg

You have to remember that I just use HR for trend analysis.  My meds and the surgery have dinked with it a bit, so don't pay attention to the numbers, just the graph.   The black line is where I finished my last set, as you can see the HR lags a little bit :)

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB.  As promised, I timed my Get Ups today.  I didn't chase the clock, but did do them quicker than usual.  I did not look at the timer until I finished the program, and was kind of surprised at how long it took.  16 minutes.  I thought I was ready to move up in weight, but I need to compress the time to complete the workout quite a bit first.  The standard for owning a weight is 10 minutes, I have a good ways to go.  Patience Grasshopper.  

Simple and Sinister stretches - Done.  I'm getting just a little bit better at the QL Straddle.  At least I now look like I'm attempting the stretch.

Not today.

Go go Texas Rangers!  Decisions, decisions...  finish watching the game or go take care of the back yard????

• Like 3

Congrats on a great checkup! You are also doing really great with your KB's! I LOVED the explanation of a good KB swing. I'm bookmarking that for when I actually have a KB.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about it.

All this discussion of kettlebells has me looking into getting one...any recommendations on the "right" size to get started?

This is awesome...

And so are you!! I'm continuously blown away when I read your thread! :)

Thanks RES, I'm really looking forward to following your Roller Derby adventures.  Might be a good excuse to go down and "Get Fed and the Shed" again :)

Congrats on a great checkup! You are also doing really great with your KB's! I LOVED the explanation of a good KB swing. I'm bookmarking that for when I actually have a KB.

That swing explanation was accurate, and it gave me a smile.  

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about it.

All this discussion of kettlebells has me looking into getting one...any recommendations on the "right" size to get started?

My grandson is in town also so I'll have a partner, looking forward to it.

Pavel, in the book Simple and Sinister, recommends that an average strength gentleman get a 16 and 24 kg KB.  I started out much lighter because of weight restrictions by my medical team and concerns about my transplant incision.    Those restrictions have been lifted and the light KB's are gathering dust for the most part.  I do use the 25 lb one every once in awhile for light get up days, but that is not very often.  If you are in decent shape, 16 and 20 or 24 kg KB's would be a good start.  Craigslist could be your friend here :)

• Like 2

Got rear ended today.  Idjit in a full, old, Suburban cut in front of us at the last minute to turn into our right turn lane, we stopped and the guy behind us didn't.  The SUV was driving erratically for the past couple of blocks so I was pretty sure there was a chance he would do that so was going slower than normal, and didn't even have to slam on the brakes.  The guy behind me wasn't paying as much attention.

The other car

F377092D-2676-46E8-848A-92B1D67E9253.jpg

Our back bumper.

82828aa8-4847-4509-812a-ada3c4686576.jpg

I really like our Jeep :)

Chest is sore, but not bad.  Called the Transplant Team and since the airbag did not deploy, and I'm not in a lot of pain, I don't need to come in tonight, so that's a good thing :)

Other than this, we had a wonderful day.  More in a bit.

• Like 2

Now for the awesome part of the day :)

Didn't do a whole lot this morning, cleaned the interior of the Jeep (that was a waste :) ), got gas, went through a car was, just little things.

Then took my grandson to Dyno-Rock Indoor Climbing Center.  We had a blast, and I kicked his 16 yo rear :)  Told him that "a little less X-Box and a little more Crossfit Box do him some good.

I made the first transition on this wall, but missed the second.

DB9402BC-D96B-4F98-9E80-C00C4FD768B2.jpg

ACB6327C-693B-4377-A636-CBBB3E945B8A.jpg

Made it to the top of four walls 

59D3933A-2197-471B-AEFA-BD12CC38941D.jpg

D07E5CF4-51E4-45A5-966B-368AC66310DC.jpg

Fell a couple of times, once with a little too much slack in my rope.  That didn't do my chest much good.  Between that and getting rear ended I'm kind of tight right now, should be good to go tomorrow though.

We had a very good time together and will do this again.  

It is a heck of a workout and I am going to consider this a body weight day :)

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about your accident.  Glad you had fun on the rock climbing wall.  That's one of my eventual goals.  There's one right down the street from me, but I'm way to heavy for it yet.   Perhaps next year.  :)  

Sorry about the accident! It sucks when other people do stupid stuff that messes things up for you. We had to buy a new car (and get the siding on the house fixed) last year because some drunk kid hit our car in our driveway and drove it into the side of our house.

It looks like you had a lot of fun at the climbing wall! It definitely looks awesome and I'm going to have to get up the nerve to go do that.

I love driving, but I hate everyone else on the road. People here are crazy, so I end up having to do stuff like that all the time. You reminded me of another thing I should be thankful for that I haven't gotten rear ended myself yet.

Glad your chest is okay. I got a little worried there for a second. And then you went climbing, you assassin you.

Sorry to hear about your accident.  Glad you had fun on the rock climbing wall.  That's one of my eventual goals.  There's one right down the street from me, but I'm way to heavy for it yet.   Perhaps next year.  :)

[/quotes] 

Sounds like a good goal for 2016 :)

Sorry about the accident! It sucks when other people do stupid stuff that messes things up for you. We had to buy a new car (and get the siding on the house fixed) last year because some drunk kid hit our car in our driveway and drove it into the side of our house.

It looks like you had a lot of fun at the climbing wall! It definitely looks awesome and I'm going to have to get up the nerve to go do that.

It always amazes me how people can drive into the side of a house. That must have been a royal pain to get lined out.

I love driving, but I hate everyone else on the road. People here are crazy, so I end up having to do stuff like that all the time. You reminded me of another thing I should be thankful for that I haven't gotten rear ended myself yet.

Glad your chest is okay. I got a little worried there for a second. And then you went climbing, you assassin you.

I was worried there for a second also :). Climbing was first, wreck was on the way home after we dropped our grandson off. Getting stiffer as the night goes on, a nice KB workout tomorrow should fix me right up.

Glad you weren't hurt. Woot for showing up the 16yr old-they need that!

I think it surprised the heck out of him :)

• Like 4

Now for the awesome part of the day :)

Then took my grandson to Dyno-Rock Indoor Climbing Center.  We had a blast, and I kicked his 16 yo rear :)  Told him that "a little less X-Box and a little more Crossfit Box do him some good.

Made it to the top of four walls

It is a heck of a workout and I am going to consider this a body weight day :)

Sounds like an awesome trip to the rock gym! Glad to hear that you guys had fun and looking forward to hearing about future trips. Hopefully your grandson is excited to go again as well.

Glad to hear that you are mostly OK after the car incident. Hopefully there are no long term issues from that.

• Like 2

Week 3 Week in Review - A Day Late, but Not at all Short.

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: 

...I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

I did complete 2 days of body weight type exercises, plus a day at the indoor climbing center.  That turned out to be quite the full body workout in itself.  

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

I once again performed 6 second box breathing only 3 times this week.  C for the week.  This is becoming a bad habit that I need to fix starting today.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

...To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

Went to the indoor climbing center with my grandson yesterday.  We had a blast.

...Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one set of the warm up exercises, 5 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

I performed the S&S 45times this week as scheduled.  I am swinging with 20 kg (both 1 and 2 handed) and doing the get ups with 16 kg.  I have added one set of 2 handed swings with the 24 kg KB. 

I only did the one Yoga vid for this challenge.  I do feel bad that I didn't support the Hobbits more during this challenge, but...  well no buts, I just didn't get it done.

This was a very good week S&S wise  I'm working my way up to the 24 kg 'bell for my swings and started working on compressing the time it takes me to get my TGU reps completed.

I had planned on doing another max rep circuit of body weight exercises today, but decided not to after our auto accident.  I'll probably schedule that for Thursday now :)

Now for a new week.  I'm going to get my swings up to 10 sets, then start working more with the 24 kg 'bell.  Can't wait!

• Like 4

Week: The Fourth- Day 1.  

1.  Carry my own Weight:

0/3

8.4 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing.  I increased to 7 seconds just to see how it felt, and it felt pretty good.  During this exercise I was able to isolate pain that is due to yesterday's accident.  There is a little extra pain on my right side that is not due to exercise or rock wall climbing.  Now I know what to keep an eye on :)

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and one set of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. I took my time today and got a good rest in between sets.  I was thinking about doing a total of 10 sets today, but decided 8 was enough after yesterday.  They were really good swings, I"m happy with them.

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB.  I did feel the effects of both the rock climbing and the accident in my Get Ups.  I initially thought I may have to do down a weight today, but the first set was strong so continued on and got stronger with each set. 

Simple and Sinister stretches and a Frog Stretch.

• Like 3

Monday Macros

Weight = 157. Weight lost this week = 3 lbs. Total weight loss = 94 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 20/52/28%. Daily avg cals = 2,288. 

​Two pounds of that lost weight is the water/inflammation from the previous week's trip, so in all actual reality (I love saying "actual reality") I lost 1 pound.  The macros are pretty much spot on :)  Avg cals are very close to my 2,300 cal/day goal, but they are higher due to a 2500 cal day today.

How is it so hard to create good habits?? When I figure that out for real I will have a million dollar blog for sure.

You'll kill it this week, I'm certain!

Thanks :)  I'm getting to where I'm kind of enjoying my quiet box breathing time so it should be easy to make the time to get it done.  I just need to get it higher on my priority list.

• Like 1

What's your goal weight, you look pretty lean right now?

That is a very good question.  I'm at the point now where I am going to let my body decide for me.  My first goal weight was 178 lbs.  Then 170, then...

I was holding steady at 160 - 162 for a few months and then decided to increase cals to 2300/day at the same time I started doing S&S five days/week.    I kind of expected to start gaining, not lose.  

I do still have loose skin/belly fat on my midsection that I would like to be rid of, not sure how much of it is fat though.  Maybe I'll post a picture and get the opinion of the Rebel Hive Mind :)

I have ordered a body fat meter to get some idea of where I am at so I can make sure I don't gain BF when I do start gaining weight.

I'm planning on keeping it at 2300 cals/day for at least another week to see what happens.

When I am swinging 24 kg for a majority of my swings I will probably increase cals to 2500/day.  I expect to get to 2800/3000 cals/day when I'm swinging 32 kg :)

Just so long as I don't start putting on bodyfat.  Been there, done that, thrown away most all of the 2X T-Shirts :)

• Like 3

You're doing great this challenge, jrosto! I hope the pain in your side goes away soon. 

Oh and yes it was a royal pain getting things straightened out when the kid hit our car and house. In the end we had to deal with two car insurance companies and the home owner's insurance company to get it all handled. 

Looks like a super week 3 and great start on 4. I didn't do much yoga for the previous mini either. I think competing with yoga made my brain hurt . I'm sure I will see plenty of axe swings out of you this week!

Week: The Fourth- Days 2 & 3.  

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See comments in Mini Challenge notes.

The seven second box breathing is very doable, the extra four seconds/breath cycle is noticeable, but not bad.  Performed every day this week so far :)

3/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3

I've added a set of one handed swings to my program so I am now swinging the full 10 sets of swings required by S&S.  Now to get that weight up :)

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and one set of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. I took my time these past two days and got plenty of rest in between sets.  Now that I'm at 10 sets of swings I can start progressing with the 24 kg bell :)

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB. I took a video of a get up yesterday, I'll post here shortly.

Simple and Sinister stretches and a Frog Stretch yesterday.

5.  Let's Hunt Some Orc

I have never even thought about doing a "Jumping Lunge" before.  Oh my goodness.  I'll bet a vid of me jumping and lunging would make a funniest vids list.  I feel so uncoordinated doing those, but do them I am :)  Yesterday I did two sets of 15 and will do the same today.

For pull ups, I'm doing three 15 second hollow body dead hangs and two 10 to 15 second reverse pull ups / set.  I'm shooting for at least one set / day of those.

• Like 1