• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - Learning to be an Assassin, A Barbarian's Tale.

The vid of the TGU is on my iPad, and the iPad is at home :(  

I will have to post it later.

I purchased an Omron Body Fat Monitor just to see where I was at BF wise and give me something to use as a baseline as I increase my cals.

I used it this morning when I was taking my other vitals and it indicated that my BF is 13.4%.  I was thinking more in the 15 to 18% range.  I guess this means that a lot of what is hanging around my belly is loose skin, but there is still some fat there.

I think I'll start adding a BF reading to my Monday Macros, just to gather data.  Not really sure what I'll do with it unless it starts trending up.

• Like 1

I think I would give you some competition on funniest video with the jumping lunges!  :loyal: They're ridiculous! Or at least I look ridiculous doing them.

I like your TGU video! I'm pretty sure I saw some Tigertubagirl Death Glare in there!

• Like 2

I think I would give you some competition on funniest video with the jumping lunges!  :loyal: They're ridiculous! Or at least I look ridiculous doing them.

I like your TGU video! I'm pretty sure I saw some Tigertubagirl Death Glare in there!

You did see the TTG Dath Glare. Can't hardly do a get up without it :)

That looks awesome! I'm very much liking the idea of kettlebells.

I think I've become addicted to the 'bells.

Looked good to me. Were you playing a horror movie soundtrack?

It was the soundtrack to Mad Max Fury Road. It is an awesome track for working out, that just wasn't the best song.

• Like 1

Week: The Fourth- Day 4.  

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See comments in Mini Challenge notes.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

3/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

An S&S rest day.

5.  Let's Hunt Some Orc

Too bad my granddaughter isn't a Hobbit.  She enjoys the jump lunges.  Me... well I'm getting better at them and think I don't look quite a silly as I did yesterday.  These are hard on the ankles so I'm sticking with 15 rep sets, and doing them throughout the day.

For the pull ups I'm still doing sets of three hollow body dead hangs and two reverse pull ups.

So far I've done 150 Jumping Lunges and 25 Pull Ups.  15 dead Orks :)

thorin_vs_Azog.jpg

• Like 3

Our respite in Rivendell came to an end, the guild has called us home.

Great video!

Thanks, now you see why it takes me so long to get through a set.  I spend too much time thinking about each step.  I'll try to push the time on Saturday and see if I can get it done in 10 mins so I can start working on getting the 20 kg 'bell.

• Like 1

Our respite in Rivendell came to an end, the guild has called us home.

Thanks, now you see why it takes me so long to get through a set.  I spend too much time thinking about each step.  I'll try to push the time on Saturday and see if I can get it done in 10 mins so I can start working on getting the 20 kg 'bell.

Me too. I think the ideal is to do some like that, where you think through each step and go super slow, and then a few that are quicker so you can finish in the 10 minute time

A quick "Yeah Me!" post...

I decided to race the clock with my TGU's today and...

Got them done in 9 mins 26 seconds :)  And they were all quality movements full of less thinking and more doing.

16 kg is officially owned, time to get started on 20 kg.  Super pumped.

• Like 5

Week: The Fourth- Day 5.  Friday, a great day to Level Up.  

1.  Carry my own Weight:

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

9.8 minutes of seven second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Two sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and two sets of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  The 24 kg 'bell is feeling pretty good two handed, I should be trying a one handed 24 kg swing sometime next week :)

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 16 kg KB. As I mentioned earlier, I beat the 10 minute mark with this set so now I can work on increasing the weight to 20 kg.

Simple and Sinister stretches and a Frog Stretch.

5.  Let's Hunt Some Orc

The jumping lunges are kind of stressing my knees and ankles, so I only did one set so far today.  I think I'm going to give them a rest and then see what I can knock out on Sunday.  I may do some tomorrow just to grease the groove, but we'll have to see how everything feels.  Goblet squats and S&S really helped to loosen up my hips and made my knees feel better.

For the pull ups I'm still doing sets of three hollow body dead hangs and two reverse pull ups.  I also added 20 kg kettlebell rows to help make up for the jumping lunges I'm not doing.  

This is really working my grip.  The last set of one handed swings really illustrated that fact.  I had to really concentrate on grip to get through the set.  I think my forearms are going to be the strongest part of my body soon :)

So far I've done 165 Jumping Lunges and 40 Pull Up progression exercises.  19 dead Orks  :)

My forearms are wicked too. I'm actually really proud of them :D

Your progress is so amazing! The tgu looks excellent to me, but ofcourse i don't know anything about them. Congrats on beating the clock with them!

The StrongFirst competition sounds like fun! 5 minutes snatch with 20kg is a good goal. Can you switch hands as often as you like?

• Like 1

My forearms are wicked too. I'm actually really proud of them :D

Your progress is so amazing! The tgu looks excellent to me, but ofcourse i don't know anything about them. Congrats on beating the clock with them!

Popeye must have swung a KB or two.

popeye.jpg

And thanks for the complements :)  

The StrongFirst competition sounds like fun! 5 minutes snatch with 20kg is a good goal. Can you switch hands as often as you like?

Yes, you can switch hands as often as you like.  You can even set the KB down for a quick rest.  You just have to knock out as many perfect form snatches as you can in 5 mins.

• Like 2

Week: The Fourth- Day 6.  Swing Buster, Swing.  

1.  Carry my own Weight:

9 1/2 minutes of seven second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3

Kettlebell Swings - Two sets of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and two sets of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  I decided to try and compress the time to complete this movement today.  I usually wait until my heart rate drops below 95 bpm to start the next set of swings.  Today I only waited until my HR dropped below 100 bpm.  I finished the movement in under 18 mins, 40 seconds.  I have a very long way to go reach a 5 minute time, but this is a big improvement for me.  My max HR was 126 bpm.  That's pretty awesome.  It looks like my body is either healing, or working around, the minor nerve damage that occurred during the transplant.  Looking at the charts my heart is reacting much faster to exertion than it was a couple of months ago.   

Turkish Get Ups - Four sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, and... one set from each side with a 20 kg KB. Yep, I got in a good set with 20 kg :)  I did the 20 kg lift for my second set of the movement.  I am happy happy :)  I was thinking that I should have gone for the 24 kg lift, that is until my last 15 kg Get Up.  I most definitely felt the effects of the heavier weight by then.  24 kg will come soon enough :)

Simple and Sinister stretches.

5.  Let's Hunt Some Orc

I think I'm going to give this challenge a rest for a bit and see how I feel later this afternoon.  One ankle is still a little sore from the jumping lunges and I want to give my shoulders a rest this morning's workout.

So far I've done 165 Jumping Lunges and 55 Pull Up progression exercises.  22 dead Orks 

• Like 1

Very nice! I've tried but I can't do TGU's with 20kg x) 

Yes, you can switch hands as often as you like.  You can even set the KB down for a quick rest.  You just have to knock out as many perfect form snatches as you can in 5 mins.

Sounds good! You might want to look into a BOLT competition too, they're the easier-going, friendlier cousin to kettlebell sport. Same rules as you described I think.

But, perfect by whose standard? :P If it's mine then everyone gets a ZERO! hehehehe.

Week: The Fourth- Day 7.  Yellow Jackets do Not Like Nosy Barbarian Hobbits.  

1.  Carry my own Weight:

5/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3

Rest day.

5.  Let's Hunt Some Orc

Decided to make this a total exercise rest day.  I pushed a little too hard with the mini and started to develop some pains that were not just DOMS.  Resting did me good as the pains have pretty much gone away now.  I'll be in good shape for the next one :)

I completed 165 Jumping Lunges and 55 Pull Up progression exercises.  22 dead Orks.  I expected to do many more jumping lunges.  

I like having wasps around.  We usually have a few of the Red Paper Wasps, Mud Daubers, and Cicada Wasps around.  These guys are never a problem.  The Cicada Wasps even come check me out sometime when I'm outdoors, big scary things but not at all aggressive.

This year we have had a ton of Yellow Jackets.  We had enough that they ran off the Paper Wasps.  Yellow Jackets are aggressive, especially if you bother things near their nests.  Today I was working in the garden when I disturbed a large nest that I didn't know about.  Those buggers got me 4 times before I got away.  I'm usually a live and let live kind of guy when it comes to wasps, they help take care of garden worms.  No longer, Yellow Jackets are on the hit list.  No trespassing, trespassers will be eradicated with extreme pleasure and prejudice.    

• Like 2

Week 4 Week in Review 

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: 

...I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

I did bodyweight exercises 5 days this past week.  The Mini Challenge superseded the pushups and planks, but still got a lot of arm work in and hollow body dead hangs do work the core.  I'm calling it a successful week.  

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

Worked my way up to 7 second box breathing and performed the exercises 5 times this week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

...To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

1/3

...Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one set of the warm up exercises, 5 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

I performed the S&S 5 times this week.  I am now doing ten sets of swings total, two of which are two handed with 24 kg.  The rest are a mixture of one and two handed swings with 20 kg.  I'm working my way towards the one handed 24 kg swing.

I have added one rep with 20 kg to my TGU's.  :)  I plan on progressing to 2 our of 5 with 20 kg next week.

I am very happy with my kettlebell progress.  I'm really close to being an 'average strength gentleman' according to Pavel.  Can't wait. 

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Let's Hunt Some Orc -

I completed 165 Jumping Lunges and 55 Pull Up progression exercises.  22 dead Orks.  I expected to do many more jumping lunges. My first Jumping lunges were very uncoordinated and silly looking.  By the 165th I was actually doing something that looked like a Jumping Lunge.  Only problem is that by then my ankles and knees were sore.  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the JL in my portfolio for lunge progressions, or stick with adding weighted lunges when I do lunges.

The pull up progressions were sets of three 15 second hollow body dead hangs and two 10 second reverse pull ups.  On Friday, after I had done all of these I could, I did a couple sets of 20 kg KB rows.  

This was an awesome kettlebell week! I set a few PR's and am progressing according to plan :)

Off to a new week, have a great one fellow Rebels.  

• Like 4

Week 4 Week in Review 

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: 

...I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

I did bodyweight exercises 5 days this past week.  The Mini Challenge superseded the pushups and planks, but still got a lot of arm work in and hollow body dead hangs do work the core.  I'm calling it a successful week.  

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

Worked my way up to 7 second box breathing and performed the exercises 5 times this week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

...To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

1/3

...Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one set of the warm up exercises, 5 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

I performed the S&S 5 times this week.  I am now doing ten sets of swings total, two of which are two handed with 24 kg.  The rest are a mixture of one and two handed swings with 20 kg.  I'm working my way towards the one handed 24 kg swing.

I have added one rep with 20 kg to my TGU's.   :)  I plan on progressing to 2 our of 5 with 20 kg next week.

I am very happy with my kettlebell progress.  I'm really close to being an 'average strength gentleman' according to Pavel.  Can't wait. 

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Let's Hunt Some Orc -

I completed 165 Jumping Lunges and 55 Pull Up progression exercises.  22 dead Orks.  I expected to do many more jumping lunges. My first Jumping lunges were very uncoordinated and silly looking.  By the 165th I was actually doing something that looked like a Jumping Lunge.  Only problem is that by then my ankles and knees were sore.  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the JL in my portfolio for lunge progressions, or stick with adding weighted lunges when I do lunges.

The pull up progressions were sets of three 15 second hollow body dead hangs and two 10 second reverse pull ups.  On Friday, after I had done all of these I could, I did a couple sets of 20 kg KB rows.  

This was an awesome kettlebell week! I set a few PR's and am progressing according to plan :)

Off to a new week, have a great one fellow Rebels.  

Awesome week! 

• Like 1

Week: The Fifth- Day 1.  Starting off the Week with a Crawl.  

1.  Carry my own Weight:

6.8 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3 - Looking at going to the indoor climbing center come Thursday.

Kettlebell Swings - One set of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and three sets of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.   This is my current program for swings.  Each is a set of 10 swings.  T 20 kg, T 24 kg, L 20 kg, R 20 kg, T 24 kg, L 20 kg, R 20 kg, T 24 kg, L 20 kg, R 20 kg.  (T = two handed)   

Turkish Get Ups - Four sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, one set from each side with a 20 kg KB.  My 20 kg 'bell is a competition KB, it is larger than my other KB's.  This changes the center of gravity a bit so works my shoulders differently.  Just a little, but enough to notice.

Simple and Sinister stretches, and a frog stretch.  I can not kinda, sorta get into the starting position of the QL stretch :)

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol

Knocked out 50 Bear Crawls just now :).  

• Like 2

Monday Macros

Weight = 159. Weight gain this week = 2 lbs. Total weight loss = 92 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 24/46/30%. Daily avg cals = 2168.  Body Fat (from yesterday, forgot today) 13.1%.

I ate a huge dinner last night trying to get my cals in.  Dinner included an even pound of Spaghetti Squash.  I'm not sure just how much of the weight gain was due to that much food still hanging around in my system.

I'm still under 2300 cals/day.  Need to work on that harder.  I really want to see how I do at 2300 cals for a while, I just don't want to have to boost the carbs to get there.  I have some macadamia nuts ready to roast, that will help :)

• Like 2

Checking in and it looks like you are doing an amazing job! I think you have a good strategy of picking a calorie level and seeing what happens at that level. You can always adjust up or down if you would prefer to see different results. With the amount of work you are doing, you might also experiment with your macro ratios to see how those affect your performance and weight. It seems like there are a multitude of opinions on the "correct" ratios but then everyone says "each body may be slightly different".

Week: The Fifth- Day 2. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

7.5 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3 - Looking at going to the indoor climbing center come Thursday.

Kettlebell Swings - One set of 10, two handed, with a 20 kg kettlebell, and three sets of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  Did the swings in 17 minutes allowing my heart rate to drop to 95 bpm between sets.  Max heart rate during the program was 117.  Looks like resting to 95 is the magic number.

Turkish Get Ups - Four sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, one set from each side with a 20 kg KB.  

Simple and Sinister stretches.

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol

I did a total of 100 Bear Crawls before the Hobbits finished up that part of the challenge.  Hobbits are awesome :)

I have done a total of 150 leg raises so far.  I'll get a few more done tonight. 

• Like 1