• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - Learning to be an Assassin, A Barbarian's Tale.

... With the amount of work you are doing, you might also experiment with your macro ratios to see how those affect your performance and weight. It seems like there are a multitude of opinions on the "correct" ratios but then everyone says "each body may be slightly different".

I set my Macros based on grams/day of protein and carbs. The percentages just work out based on number of cals.  I try to keep carbs under 150 grams/day and protein between 130 and 150 or so grams/day.  

I set my Macros based on grams/day of protein and carbs. The percentages just work out based on number of cals.  I try to keep carbs under 150 grams/day and protein between 130 and 150 or so grams/day.  

It sounds like you have a pretty good system in place and far more scientific than my approach. I didn't mean to suggest changing, by the way, just to offer ideas for experimenting.

You're doing great as usual, jrosto! Way to go with your KB's!

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this program :)

It sounds like you have a pretty good system in place and far more scientific than my approach. I didn't mean to suggest changing, by the way, just to offer ideas for experimenting.

No worries, I like explaining my eating program.  Makes me go back and make sure I'm keeping on track :)

Week: The Fifth- Day 3. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See comments in Mini Challenge notes.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

2/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

1/3 - Looking at going to the indoor climbing center come Thursday.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Four sets of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  Time to start progressing with the one handed swings.  

Turkish Get Ups - Four sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, one set from each side with a 20 kg KB.  

Simple and Sinister stretches, and a frog stretch.

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol

I did a total of 100 Bear Crawls.

I have done a total of 200 leg raises.. 

• Like 3

Week: The Fifth- Day 4. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See comments in Mini Challenge and learn a new skill notes.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

8.4 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

We went back to the Dyno Rock Indoor Climbing Center this morning.  They have 6 walls with the auto-belay ropes and I climbed all six walls.  Didn't fall this time :)  My Sweetie took a vid of one of the climbs.

Climbing walls is almost as much fun as swinging kettlebells :)  

A nice thing about climbing during the week is that there are not many people there so this is something I can probably do even when flu season kicks in.  I figure that people who are sick are not going to feel much like rock climbing.  I'll have to talk with the Transplant Team about this.

Rest day.

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol

A mini-mini challenge has been added, jumping squats.  I did 5 jumping squats today just to see how my ankles and knees like them.  So far, so good :)  I may be able to help out with this challenge also.

We had to use Uber, Roadside Assistance and get a tow today.  Made me think about how hard this all would have been pre-smartphone.  Having "an app for that" really is kind of awesome.

• Like 7

Climbing walls is almost as much fun as swinging kettlebells :)

A nice thing about climbing during the week is that there are not many people there so this is something I can probably do even when flu season kicks in. I figure that people who are sick are not going to feel much like rock climbing. I'll have to talk with the Transplant Team about this.

We had to use Uber, Roadside Assistance and get a tow today. Made me think about how hard this all would have been pre-smartphone. Having "an app for that" really is kind of awesome.

Almost!

Not to be negative, but because I think about it sometimes, there is a lot of contact at a climbing wall with shared surfaces. They seem like somewhat easy ways for something to spread.

And finally, I recently had car trouble which required renting a car and multiple calls and research efforts while out of town. On one hand, the phone was indispensable but on the other I think "in the old days" the customer service folks would have helped to a higher level knowing I had no way to do it myself.

Glad you're enjoying the rock climbing! Sucks that you had car problems though. It's awesome that it's time for you to progress with your one handed swings. Way to go!

Week: The Fifth- Day 5. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

I attempted a pull up today.  Failed miserably so I did an assisted pull up with with slow reverse.

3/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3

Kettlebell Swings - Two sets of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  Started progressing with the one handed swings :)  

Turkish Get Ups - Three sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, two sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.  

Simple and Sinister stretches, and a frog stretch.

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol

5 Jumping Squats

15 Walking Lunges

• Like 3

I hadn't realized you'd been cleared for the pull-ups already, jrosto. You've been making excellent progress with everything, so I'm sure it won't be long before you can do a pull-up. Congrats on your one-handed swing progress!

• Like 1

Almost!

Not to be negative, but because I think about it sometimes, there is a lot of contact at a climbing wall with shared surfaces. They seem like somewhat easy ways for something to spread...

Yeah... that's something to think about.  I was thinking about that the first time we went to the climbing gym.  I'm not supposed to go to regular gyms and locker rooms due to molds, fungi and germs/viruses.  The climbing gym doesn't have a locker room per se.  I didn't rent a chalk bag because of the germ potential.

Glad you're enjoying the rock climbing! Sucks that you had car problems though. It's awesome that it's time for you to progress with your one handed swings. Way to go!

Thanks :)  The truck has 220,000 miles on it.  This is the first starter I've had to replace.  It was just at a very inopportune time :)

Nice way to switch things up with a bit of climbing :) Glad you're enjoying it.

It is a good workout, and a good time.  I do enjoy it :)

• Like 1

I hadn't realized you'd been cleared for the pull-ups already, jrosto. You've been making excellent progress with everything, so I'm sure it won't be long before you can do a pull-up. Congrats on your one-handed swing progress!

Cleared with a "Take your time and be careful" disclaimer :)

• Like 1

Week: The Fifth- Day 6. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

5/3

4/5 - It was an abbreviated exercise today as I was interrupted by a call asking if we could watch our granddaughter overnight.  

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3

Kettlebell Swings - Two sets of 10 with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  It is Saturday so I compressed the time to complete the swings by only allowing my heart rate to drop to 100 bpm instead of the usual 95.  I completed my swings in 16 mins, 22 secs.  That's a nice 2 minute + improvement over last week :) 

Turkish Get Ups - Three sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, two sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.  

Simple and Sinister stretches.

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol

5 Jumping Squats

15 Walking Lunges

• Like 3

Week: The Fifth- Day 7. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See Mini Challenge notes below.

6.5 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing 

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3

KB rest day.

5.  Survive Cirith Ungol

5 Jumping Squats

50 Walking Lunges

Since it was an exercise rest day, I worked in the yard for several hours.  I put some Corn Gluten Meal down in the front yard (second Fall application) and watered it in, cleared leaves, acorns and crushed pecans from drive and back patio, and pulled weeds in the garden along the back fence.  I also worked on getting my compost pile started back up.  I couldn't work my pile for over the past two years while I was sick and then recovering from the surgery, and it is well past time.  Before I bought a leaf blower that also mulches up the leaves, I would bag over 30 bags of leaves just from the patio and drive for the compost pile.  It would eat them all over the next year.  Now that I mulch the leaves I have far fewer bags and the pile eats them faster.  I hated letting that much biomass off the property when I was sick.  There were three wheelbarrows full of old compost in the pile that got spread where it was most needed.  I know it has a lot of seeds in it because it hasn't been hot in a couple of years so I didn't put it in places where that much matters.  Then I mulched up some new leaves and mixed them with chopped up Sweet Potato vines and the pile is officially restarted :)  Also got a nice workout with all the shoveling, squatting, raking and weed pulling.  

• Like 4

Week 5 Week in Review 

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: 

...I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

I did some form of bodyweight exercise pretty much every day this week.  I attempted a pull up and failed.  My pull up progression is now doing assisted pull ups with a slow reverse.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

5/5 Seven Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

...To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

Went to the indoor climbing gym last Thursday.  Climbed the 6 walls that had auto-belay lines.  Next time I go I will have to pay attention to the routes and try working on increasing the difficulty of the climbs when I don't have someone around to belay for me.

...Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

I performed the S&S 5 times this week. I worked my way up to doing 8 sets of one hand swings with the 20 kg 'bell and 2 sets of two hand swings with the 24 kg 'bell.  When testing on Saturday by resting only until my heart rate dropped to 100 bpm, I took over 2 minutes off the same test from the previous week.  Next week I plan on converting to all one handed swings.

I have added another rep with 20 kg to my TGU's.  I am not doing doing 5 sets with each side as follows: 16 kg, 20 kg, 20, kg, 16 kg, 16 kg.  The plan for next week is to increase to 3 sets with the 20 kg KB.

Getting closer to being an 'average strength gentleman' according to Pavel.

I've decided that I'm going to start working on jumping weights in my progressions as recommended by StrongFirst.  That means my next kettlebell is going to be the 32 kg instead of 28 kg.  That means I'm going to have to well and truly own that 24 before I try to move up :)  

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest:Survive Cirith Ungol

5 15 Jumping Squats

50 Walking Lunges

Only one week left to go....  oh chit.  I need to start working on goals for the next challenge.  Oh wait... maybe I should finish up this one first :)

It has been a very good week.  The 5 day/week S&S program seems to be working out very nicely.  I'm not wiped out by the routine, I'm still excited to do the workouts, and I am progressing well.  If I could get a new tattoo, it would be of a kettlebell :)

I did some nerdy stuff this week also.  The last computer games I really got into were Half Life and Diablo.  I kicked rear in Diablo and did pretty well in Half LIfe.  I couldn't get HL to load on my newer laptop so I loaded Diablo.  Ran through it fairly quickly and picked up Diablo II and just finished the first quest.  It has been a long time since I've done any gaming and it is kind of fun getting back into it.

Hope you all have an awesome Week 6 my Rebel Friends, let's finish strong!

• Like 4

You're doing so great with your kettlebells! And it's great that you've figured out the right amount of workouts so that you're making (great) progress and feeling good at the same time. I've been reading the simple and sinister book some this weekend and I have a better idea of what you're doing now. I can tell that it may take me some trial and error to find the sweet spot of workouts vs. rest. I also now know what a Halo is and I'm amazed that you can do that with a 16 kg KB and not knock yourself in the head! Actually that's a really big fear of mine at the moment. I can't imagine doing the halo with an 8 kg KB without knocking myself in the head.

Very awesome wall climb. I really must try that some day.

Thanks. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I do.

You're doing so great with your kettlebells! And it's great that you've figured out the right amount of workouts so that you're making (great) progress and feeling good at the same time. I've been reading the simple and sinister book some this weekend and I have a better idea of what you're doing now. I can tell that it may take me some trial and error to find the sweet spot of workouts vs. rest. I also now know what a Halo is and I'm amazed that you can do that with a 16 kg KB and not knock yourself in the head! Actually that's a really big fear of mine at the moment. I can't imagine doing the halo with an 8 kg KB without knocking myself in the head.

I did smack myself in the face doing the curls during the Prying Goblet Squat before I increased the weight. With the Halo tighten your body like you are in a standing plank and think of the move having 4 parts and you will be just fine :)

• Like 3

I did smack myself in the face doing the curls during the Prying Goblet Squat before I increased the weight. With the Halo tighten your body like you are in a standing plank and think of the move having 4 parts and you will be just fine :)

I aspire to be like you with kettlebells when I grow up :)

• Like 1

I cannot believe how much progress you made recently. (And that climbing does look like fun.) You're a real inspiration. :) Hope week 6 will be just as awesome as the rest - or even better. 

• Like 2

Week: The Final - Day 1. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

0/3

0/5.  

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3 - Going to have to hit the Indoor Climbing Gym on Thursday if I want to get my third visit in.  

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  I have officially graduated to one handed swings :)  I have also done more one handed swings than two handed as of today. 3034 total swings with 1566 of them being one handed.  

Turkish Get Ups - Three sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, two sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.  I thought about doing a third set with the 20 kg 'bell, but decided to wait until at least Wednesday.  I'm currently doing my gets ups as follows - 16 kg, 20 kg, 20 kg, 16 kg, 16 kg.  

5.  Time to Climbl

30 Mountain Climbers

• Like 3

Monday Macros

Weight = 157. Weight loss this week = 2 lbs. Total weight loss = 94 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 22/53/25%. Daily avg cals = 2282.  Body Fat = 13.2%.

I am very happy with this week's macros and avg cals.  

I enjoy a little piece of dark chocolate after dinner most nights.  Tonight I had Pure 7 100% Dark Chocolate.  Oh. My. Goodness.  It took me half an hour to finish 10 little grams of chocolate.  I think 5 grams/night will be plenty :)

I aspire to be like you with kettlebells when I grow up :)

You made me smile :)

I cannot believe how much progress you made recently. (And that climbing does look like fun.) You're a real inspiration. :) Hope week 6 will be just as awesome as the rest - or even better. 

Thanks NK, sure hope you get back to feeling 100% soon.

• Like 3

Week: The Final - Day 2. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See Mini Challenge Notes

4 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing.  I just couldn't get into it today.  I have a little bit of chest congestion and that may have been a part of it. 

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3 - Going to have to hit the Indoor Climbing Gym on Thursday if I want to get my third visit in.  

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell.  It took 21 minutes to complete this today.  It seemed to take forever to get my heart rate down to 95 BPM between sets.  

5.  Time to Climbl

150 total Mountain Climbers

• Like 3