• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - Learning to be an Assassin, A Barbarian's Tale.

It looks like you are knocking this challenge out of the park! Congrats on the great results and have a fun time climbing this week.

Thanks.  I think I'll figure out the different routes up the walls this time :)

• Like 1

I did smack myself in the face doing the curls during the Prying Goblet Squat before I increased the weight. With the Halo tighten your body like you are in a standing plank and think of the move having 4 parts and you will be just fine :)

I'll keep all that in mind (and try not to smack myself)!

Your challenge is looking great!

• Like 1

Week: The Final - Day 3. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See Mini Challenge Notes

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

6.5 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3 -  

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. Today took even longer than yesterday.  I'm not sure if it is the incoming weather or the Mountain Climbers, but I was dragging rear during my swings. 

Turkish Get Ups - Two sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, three sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.   Even though I was dragging rear, I was still feeling strong so I did a third set with the 20 kg 'bell.

Simple and Sinister stretches.

5.  Time to Climbl

270 total Mountain Climbers

• Like 3

Ten years ago today my Sweetie said "I do" :)

Our wedding was a potluck dinner and we had two margarita machines going.  When most everybody was half lit we were married by a friend who is a judge.

DSCF0135_1.jpg

Here we are in our Chariot off to Wonderland

DSCF0164_1.jpg

• Like 6

Ah, that's so sweet. :) I hope you'll have a chance to celebrate today!

I'm going to cook her the Fettuccine Alfredo with mixed wild mushrooms.  It's the same as the first meal I ever cooked for her :)

I'll have mine over roasted asparagus instead of pasta. 

• Like 3

Week: The Final - Day 4. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See Mini Challenge Notes

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

2/5

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3 -  We did not make it to the indoor climbing gym today.

Rest day.

5.  Time to Climbl

445 total Mountain Climbers.  I wouldn't think these would be as much of a job on my shoulders as they are.  I wonder if I could count Spiderman Planks just to mix things up a bit?

• Like 3

Happy Anniversary! Your story is so sweet and your Anniversary dinner sounds wonderful .

Well, for someone that was dragging rear a day ago YOU sure managed a lot of mountain climbers!

Week: The Final - Day 5. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

See Mini Challenge Notes

4.2 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing.  Just could not get into it this evening.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3 -  

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. Today was much better.  Took 9 minutes off of Wednesday's time, and felt good doing it. 

Turkish Get Ups - Four sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, one set from each side with a 20 kg KB.   Today I dropped the ball, or I should say 'bell.  During my second get up with the 20 kg KB on my left side, I lost focus and lost control of the 'bell while going up onto my knee.  I finished off the routine with the 16 kg 'bell.  

5.  Time to Climbl

555 total Mountain Climbers.  I, for one, am glad this mini is over.  This was a hard one on my shoulders.  They were tight before my S&S routine but the warm ups and swings really went a long way towards loosening them up. The Get Ups were most affected though.  

I could use a massage :)

• Like 2

Happy Anniversary! Have a fun one!

Happy Anniversary! Your story is so sweet and your Anniversary dinner sounds wonderful .

Well, for someone that was dragging rear a day ago YOU sure managed a lot of mountain climbers!

Happy anniversary :)

I did mean to come wish you a happy anniversary! Congrats on that and kicking ass in this challenge!!

I might add the fact that you cooked for her before she married you, AND that you remember what it was and did it again speaks volumes :D

• Like 1

Week: The Final - Day 6. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

3/3

6 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3 -  

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. Since it is Saturday, I only rested to a 100 BPM heart rate instead of my usual 95.  Time to complete my swings was 17:31.  That's a minute longer than last week, but last weed did include two handed swings.

Turkish Get Ups - Four sets from each side with a 16 kg KB, one set from each side with a 20 kg KB.   A second set with the 20 kg 'bell just felt too heavy today.  

5.  Time to Climbl

555 total Mountain Climbers.

• Like 2

Week: The Final - Day 7. 

1.  Carry my own Weight:

3/3

10.26 minutes of Seven Second Box Breathing.  Today felt really good.  It was an enjoyable and relaxing session.  I'm beginning to think that the incoming weather front affected my past few sessions.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

2/3 -  

Rest day.

5.  Time to Climbl

555 total Mountain Climbers.

• Like 3

Week 6 Week in Review 

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: 

...I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

My body weight exercises for the week consisted of the Mountain Climbers.  I did not get any pull up work in this week.  Between the MC's and my S&S program I was pretty well worked out.  I'll score this week a B.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

5/5 Seven Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

...To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

Did not make it to the indoor climbing gym this week.  Planned on Thursday, but decided to stay in out of the rain with my Sweetie.  It was out 10th anniversary after all :)

...Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

I performed the S&S 5 times this week.I converted all my swings to one handed swings with the 20 kg bell.

Continued working on incorporating the 20 kg KB into my TGU's.  I dropped it during one of my sets this week, a reminder to stay focused on the kettlebell, the iron demands attention.

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Time to Climb!

555 Mountain Climbers.

Week 6 was another good week.  Dropping the kettlebell was a bit of an embarrassment, but no real harm done.  It's a good thing I thought through what to do if something like that happened and was able to safely guide the 'bell away from my soft squishy parts :)

• Like 2

Good week! And good nothing happened with that kettlebell. 

It was great to read all your updates during this challenge. :) And you made so much progress yet again!

5. Team Hobbit Mini Quest: Time to Climb!

555 Mountain Climbers.

Oh god..... but also quite impressive. :) 

• Like 1

Challenge Recap:

Main Quest for 2015: Do a pull up all the way to my transplant scar. 

This is going to be a tough nut to crack as I have not yet been able to develop a pull up, much less one that high.  I think working on pull ups will be a major part of the next challenge.

Main Quest for This Six Week Challenge: Develop Assassin Skills. An Assassin needs to have complete control over their body, so I need to continue developing my bodyweight strength and maybe even introduce myself to a new thing or two.  I also need to continue to throw around heavy things because, well… a Barbarian’s got to break things and make a big mess every once in awhile  :)

A large part of this challenge was proving to my old Dungeon Master self that a Barbarian could make an effective Assassin.  I did accomplish that task. 

SMART Quests:

1.  Carry my own Weight: An assassin never knows when he’ll have to rely upon his ability to push his own body weight around to get out of, or even better yet in to, a jam.  A basic requirement of an Assassin is to be able to pull himself up, push himself up from various positions, and hold his body in perfect stillness for extended periods of time.  To improve upon what I have accomplished during my introduction to the Assassins, I will do a bodyweight workout that focuses on pull-ups, pushups and planks three times a week..(+1 Str, +1 Con)

Well...  I didn't focus on pull-ups, pushups and planks, and it shows.  I tried a pull-up today, and I failed.  Then tried a set of pushups, and only could get 18 with good form.  I did do lots of body weight exercises with the Mini Challenges, but didn't focus on my priorities from the start of this challenge.

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Complete a bodyweight workout three times/week, and, be able to do a full pull-up and 20 pushups in one set.

A-    = Complete a bodyweight workout less than three times/week, but still be able to do a full pull-up and 20 pushups in one set.

B = Complete a bodyweight workout three times/week, but fail to do a full pull-up or 20 pushups.

​I'm going to call this a B-    .8 STR and .8 CON

C = Complete a bodyweight workout less than three times/week, and fail to do a full pull up or 20 push-ups.

F = Not going to happen.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

I had a couple off weeks that I did not catch up on in the final weeks of the challenge so did not make my 5/week average.  I'm still not really sure just how much positive effect this is having on my body and mind, but I am starting to enjoy it more, at times :) 

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

B = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 4 times/week.

Numbers don't lie, a B it is.  .8 STA, .8 WIS.

C = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 3 times/week.

F= Anything less.

3.  Learn a New Skill: There are many things for a Barbarian to learn in order to become an accomplished Assassin.  One ability every Assassin should have is the ability to climb to great heights.  To  begin this new learning adventure I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

I only made it to the Indoor Climbing Center twice this challenge.

A = 3 visits to the climbing center.

B= 2 visits to the climbing center.

Grading this a B.     .8 STA, .8 WIS

C= 1 visit to the climbing center.

F= 0 visits to the climbing center.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: In order to keep from causing suspicion, and to have a bit of Barbarian fun, I’ll continue to toss around these heavy metal objects.  Perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  Complete the Program Minimum training session and progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes three at least one sets of the warm up exercises, 5 reps of 10 kettlebell swings with a 24kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 16kg kettlebell, and the final streatching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

Here is where I had the most success.   

Prying Goblet Squat: Progressed from 25 lbs to 16 kg.

Kettlebell Swings: At the beginning of this challenge I was only doing 7 sets total.  Both one and two handed with the 20 kg 'bell.  I progressed the two handed to the program minimum 24 kg 'bell and increased total sets to 10.  I am now doing all 10 sets one handed with the 20 kg KB.  I can do the PM weight and sets two handed, but am working on my one handed swings now.

A = Exceeding the Program Minimum reps with listed weights.

B = Complete the Program Minimum with listed weights.

Another B.  .8 STR, .8 DEX, .8 STA, .8 CHA

C = 90% participation with 100% effort (100% participation = once every 5 days) and completing the program minimum.

F= less than 90% participation and not being able to complete the PM.

Across the board B's.  I knew getting an A with my kettlebell goals would be difficult, and maybe the pull up goal, but the rest should have been easy A's.  Should I count this a successful challenge?  Yes, I think I can.  Could I have done better?  Yes.  I could have gotten in a couple more box breathing sessions and gone to the Indoor Climbing Gym earlier in the Challenge.  As for the body weight goals, I made a decision to really push hard on the mini challenges and that they could take the place of BW work when they were body weight type exercises.  I did a lot more than I thought I ever could, so that is a success :)

I get a new T Shirt :) 

Instead of starting a Battle Log for the "between challenge posts" I'll just continue posting important milestones here. The 5 day/week S&S program is working out very well for me, so I will be continuing with that routine 3 on/1 off/2 on/1 off.  

I really enjoyed this challenge and all the mini's.  Thanks all of you who stopped by to offer encouragement and support, you don't know just how much that means to me.  

And ElimHH...  thanks for this:

Henry-Cavill-workout1.jpg

I now have a mental image of where I would like to be one of these days.  I may never get there, but the attempt is going to be an awesome journey :)

• Like 5

Just in case you were not following along with the Assassin Mini Challenges, this is what we accomplished as a group:

...And now for the rundown.  Ladies and gentlemen, over the course of the last 6 weeks, as a team, here is what we have accomplished:

• 871 miles walked
  • 15,066 push-ups
  • 13,491 squats
  • 114 yoga videos
  • 6,000 jumping lunges
  • 2,466 pull-ups
  • 3,764 bear crawls
  • 4,323 leg raises
  • 2,553 walking lunges
  • 2,195 jump squats
  • 15,940 mountain climbers

We also had champions setting ridiiiiiiiiiiiculous records in timed burpees and wall sits.  Give the champions a round of applause.

With this, our journey comes to an end.....

All this is over and above our individual goals.  Pretty impressive is you ask me.

• Like 5

Monday Macros

Weight = 156. Weight loss this week = 1 lbs. Total weight loss = 95 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 22/53/25%. Daily avg cals = 2450.  Body Fat = 12.9%.

Actual average cals are closer to 2300 than 2450, today was a 2900 calorie day.  For some reason I was really hungry this afternoon.  I wasn't Jonesing for anything in particular, just hungry.  So I fed the hunger :)  All good cals, just lots of them.

I was planning on increasing my avg cals starting this week anyway.  My new goal is to average between 24 and 2500/day for a couple of weeks and see what happens.  I do still have a little bit of belly fat, but most of what's there is loose skin.  I'll keep an eye on weight, BF %, energy levels, workout gains and my end of challenge images to make sure I don't start gaining fat back.  I do expect to gain weight, just not fat.

You've had a GREAT challenge, jrosto! You definitely deserve the t-shirt! 

It was a great challenge to follow! Looking forward to the next :)

Amazing challenge! :) And those stats for the group truly are impressive!

Thanks you guys, you are a big part of my success.  Your kind words and motivation really helped keep me on track :)

• Like 3