NeverThatBored Gets Better Than BeFOUR

NeverThatBored

I used the same name as my last challenge, because this time it’s a pun. I’m hilarious.

I like shorts pokemon

Hi, I’m NeverThatBored and this is my fourth challenge. I’m trying to get fit for a lot of reasons - to make shopping for clothes and looking nice easier, to be able to keep up with people when they do something athletic, so that I don’t feel limited by my body, to get rid of annoying aches and pains, to hopefully lower my genetically high cholesterol, etc.

After a blip in my second challenge, my third challenge went very well! I was able to meet my goals, but I didn’t see the same (any) weight loss that I saw with almost the same goals for my first challenge. I think that even though I was still staying away from grains/sugar, I started consuming more carbs because I started thinking of more things I could eat. Or the 5 days throughout the challenge where I was traveling really threw me off…

Anywho, it’s a new dawn and it’s time to move forward. Even though I do a bunch of different things, I limit my challenge goals to my basic building blocks of fitness. Everything else is extra, but I won’t beat myself up if it doesn’t happen. I’m making the building blocks a little more advanced each time.

Main Quest: Lose the rest of the 30 pounds to get back to my happy weight (15 lbs to go)

Goal 1: Strength+

I’ve been doing a modified BBWW and I think I’m just going to keep modifying it for now until I figure out a better way to strength train. I also participate in a bootcamp class that uses a lot of bodyweight movements, so I count that towards strength as well.

For this challenge, I need to do at least 3 of either modified BBWWs or bootcamp workouts per week, even while traveling.

For the BBWW, I’m doing:

• 20 squats

• 15 push ups

• 20 lunges

• 15 dumbbell rows

• 15 dips

• 2 30 second one-legged planks and 1 30 second regular plank

• 30 jumping jacks

Possible modifications I can make include:

• Increasing reps

• Adding mountain climbers

• Replacing some jumping jacks with burpees

• Decline push ups

• Adding weight for squats, lunges, or rows

• Buy a pullup bar and make use of it

• Add more core - flutter kicks, roman twists, side planks, bicycles, or vertical leg crunches

Goal 2: Walking+

Last challenge I walked 104/100 miles. I’d say I could just walk more miles, but there’s only so much time in a day. During Week 4, I started rucking on some of my walks - that just means carrying a heavy backpack while walking. This challenge, I’m going to walk 102 miles for the easy divisibility, and go rucking for at least 51 of those miles.

That means 8.5 miles per week of rucking and 17 miles per week of walking.

Goal 3: Primalish Eating+

Last challenge I aimed to be grain/refined sugar free 100% of the time on normal days and 50% of the time while travelling or having my boyfriend staying with me. This is the critical area for weight loss, so this time I’m upping my game and trying to figure out how to make this more successful.

I am going to:

• Avoid grains

• Avoid refined sugar

• Reduce dairy (a little cheese on my eggs and yogurt 1-2 times a week is fine, for example, but I’ll avoid snacking on cheese or making cheese-heavy dishes)

• Avoid sweet potato chips and vegetable chips

• Avoid eating after 8pm (exceptions for getting home late and not having a chance to eat sooner on evening class days)

I have a TON of traveling planned during this challenge, so it will be hard. I'm going to stick to this plan 100% of the time that I'm not traveling, and then follow a custom plan for each little trip to try to minimize the food damage. I'm going to do some over-planning in a second post below this one, if you're curious about the details. :)

Life Quest: Reading+

Last challenge I read for pleasure almost every day, except for unusually busy or traveling days. This time I’m going to incorporate reading for self-development too. I’m still thinking about how this will work, but for now I’m going to say I should still read every day, but this time try to complete 1 book about something career-related over the course of the challenge.

Possible Weekly Schedule

Sunday: BBWW

Monday: Aikido

Tuesday: Bootcamp

Wednesday: Rest/yoga

Thursday: Aikido

Friday: Bootcamp/BBWW

Saturday: Rest/yoga

EDIT: Mini #1 answers

I am in fact fantastic at creating random parody songs. I'm also fantastic at bop-it. For some reason they stopped producing them and for a while were only selling them for like $70 on amazon. I recently saw a price drop and got one, and now I've been playing it a lot. I'm terrible with directions  - so terrible that once when I was in college (a senior, no less) someone asked me for directions to the gym, and I could not tell them how to get there, even though I'd been there a million times before.

• Like 8

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Food Quest Details

Ok, so I have a lot of travel planned during this challenge that I’ll need to account for here. There's no point in cheat days or meals with this much travel - just staying afloat will be hard. I still have to figure out how to make these more measurable, but they'll work for now.

September 14th - my birthday!

I’m going to have a nice dinner and homemade birthday dessert that day. I'll have leftover dessert after the 14th that I won’t count against myself at the start of the challenge (though if I’m good, I’ll leave some in the break room at work instead of eating it all myself). I'll avoid overindulging in carby meals earlier in the day.

September 18-20th - I’ll be visiting friends to celebrate my birthday and generally catch up

​My plan is to eat as low carb as possible for breakfasts on all of those days, since usually working out some eggs is easy. I'll see if I can pick up some fruit/carrots for healthy snacks too. There will likely be celebratory desserts that I will enjoy, but not allow myself to binge on. For other meals we'll likely eat out, and it's hard to predict where. I'll eat primal or at least low carb meals wherever possible, to counterbalance anything like pizza where I don't have many healthier options.

October 3rd - 4th - I’ll be traveling with a friend to an annual apple harvest festival, where I will encounter lots of treats

​This doesn't have to result in me going overboard. I can focus on lower-carb options like pumpkin soup rather than going overboard and being tempted by everything. The thai food is always tempting but too much, so if I do get some I'll get just some curry. In general, I'll say a meal is a meal and avoid eating for the sake of entertainment at the festival. For desserts I'll try to restrict myself to 4 small ones over the course of the festival (that probably sounds like a lot, but it represents restraint on my part).

October 7-12 - I’ll be on vacation in Chicago with my boyfriend, who is taking me there specifically to feed me his favorite things for his birthday.

​This will be both the longest and the hardest food challenge for me. I'm still working on a plan with him to minimize the possible damage. Right now I think we'll try to only indulge in the good stuff (try a famous deep dish, for example) and otherwise focus on healthy. I'll aim to get at least one veggie-heavy meal a day to keep my gut happy. I'll limit myself to 3 desserts.

October 22- end of challenge - I’ll likely be visiting by BF over the weekend of his birthday or sometime around his birthday

​I'll try to get in one salad or veggie-heavy meal per day, and generally stay low carb on other meals. I'll prioritize avoiding desserts over my other goals during this period. When I do eat carbs, I'll try to restrict it to white rice first and foremost, and after that whole grains.

….so that’s about 16 days of the challenge that I’ll be traveling. Even with these rough goals in place, I don't feel confident about this. I'll probably privately write out even more detailed plans about what to do in different situations. Overall, my focus for these days will be to avoid excessive desserts first and foremost, and then to stay low carb as much as possible, rather than to specifically avoid grains.

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

Travel is tough when trying to eat right...not impossible, and sounds like you have a good plan!! :)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Last challenge I read for pleasure almost every day, except for unusually busy or traveling days. This time I’m going to incorporate reading for self-development too. I’m still thinking about how this will work, but for now I’m going to say I should still read every day, but this time try to complete 1 book about something career-related over the course of the challenge.

What career?

What career?

I design corporate eLearning courses, so the book can be focused on that, or on project management/consulting, which is a part of my job too.

• Like 2

Subbing now but I'll read your goals tomorrow. My brain is shutting down x_x

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Wow, you have a plan. I especially like that you incorporated your vacation time. I should have had a plan, too, for my travelling. ^^ than I wouldn't have gained half of my lost weight back. I'll be following again of course.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Ambitious challenge! Go go go!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Following along again!  I love the detail work you did for your travel plans - traveling during a challenge (and staying primalish) is hard!  I think that focusing on avoiding desserts and trying to eat more veggies will pay off for you though.  And I love the rucking goal; what a great way to step up your walking game!  

(heh... "step up"... puns are awesome, right?)

• Like 2

Level 9 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 17.25 | DEX 12 | STA 20.75 | CON 34.75 | WIS 22 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 CURRENT: TBA

Wow you are totally on top of this. That's amazing. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Great goals! I'm looking forward to following.

I live in Chicago, btw. You can eat healthy here, believe it or not. Or you can enjoy some amazing local faves. 

historyOfChicagoDog.jpg

No ketchup, thank you very much.

144965701.jpg

I know that it's bad, but I don't care. At least some of the time.

116_17-10-2012_1464.jpg

Oh yeah!

Anyway, there are some other local places that are a little healthier. 

• Like 2

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Hey, your travel plans look absolutely amazing! I believe you when you say that four desserts/treats is moderation, because I only (ONLY) had two boxes of Pocky my entire last con, one each day. Sweets are hard! You've got your travel on lockdown, so you're gonna do well. I should take a page from your plans for my future travel and conventions.

• Like 1

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

144965701.jpg

I know that it's bad, but I don't care. At least some of the time.

I have never tried deep dish pizza, so that's high on the list! I'd love some healthy recommendations too though! 

• Like 1

Holy shit you guys. Thank you so much for your encouragement! I've been busy all weekend so I haven't been on NF, and I've been kind of overwhelmed catching up on everyone's threads and feeling like I fell behind already, but seeing your comments has made me feel better~

I also want to share some AMAZING news! Back in April I had bloodwork done and found out my cholesterol was crazy high. My doctor said it was so high that she thought it must be genetic rather than health related, and wanted to start me on drugs immediately. BUT I hate medicine and cholesterol drugs in particular sound scary, and a lot of the paleo/primal crowd is skeptical about conventional wisdom on cholesterol, so their attitude influenced me. I asked my doctor to let me try to get it down through exercise and diet instead, so she agreed to humor me. 

I've been really nervous about it, and finally had the new bloodwork done this month. My doctor called and told me my cholesterol has improved a lot! She seemed slightly surprised.  :devilish:  My overall number has gone down by 50 points, and I'm SOSOSO relieved. I'm so glad that I have control over this and this is real validation that even if my weight has stalled, I'm getting healthier. No drugs for me! 

tl;dr: Clearly my doctor underestimated my love of desserts, since eating primalish and exercising has greatly improved my cholesterol. 

Here's an update on my (lack of) progress so far:

Food

SO birthday foodstuffs have spilled over through today. I have a couple days to do some serious keto before my next weekend trip starts (though I do have one piece of birthday dessert left too), so I'm going to be uberhealthy until then! And then hopefully I will also be able to stay decently healthy this coming weekend. I definitely fell off the wagon over our off week, but my body is giving me all the feedback I need to know that it feels terrible when I eat badly. 

Strength

I had my bootcamp class today, and I decided to try a month of the trainer's program, so I also did a fitness assessment last weekend. It turns out I'm decently fit (or at least I felt impressive) and a lot of my vitals are either healthy or just about to fall into the healthy zone! I also did 27 push ups and held a plank for 3 minutes and five seconds, which I felt pretty cool about. :) 

Walking

I've gotten off to a slow start on the walking, so I'll have to do some catch up tomorrow after work. I kind of want to start getting up earlier and walking in the morning too, but every time I inch back my alarm clock, I just find something indoors to take up the extra time...

Reading

I still have to do my reading tonight, but I will. I'm reading ChiRunning and learning about a running technique that I really think will help me run without hurting my shins any further. Basically, you run by leaning forward and letting gravity move you instead of putting all the stress into your lower legs. It seems like a great way to prevent injury! A little background - even just doing the couch to 5K program last year, I somehow managed to very quickly develop shin splints that I've had pretty much ever since then. I had an MRI in May because I was worried that I might even have a fracture, and the MRI confirmed shin splints. 

• Like 4

That is wonderful news from the Dr! :)

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

That is great news! A few years ago my doctor wanted me on cholesterol meds also but was able to get my levels under control thru diet and exercise. It feels like a major win as I'm sure you'll agree!

I'll post a few recommendations for places to eat in Chicago also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Wow, your cholesterol story is awesome. Congratulations!

I feel you on your body telling you what's good for you. I'm still amazed at how quickly my body decided that too many carbs are yucky, when I've never had any problems before starting this diet. In my head, my stomach was a tired old man back then, who had to devour carb after carb and didn't have energy to protest anymore. But now that it's been allowed to feed on vegetables and fruits and lots of protein and healthy fats, it won't take shit  from me anymore ;)

I'm also thoroughly impressed with your fitness level. I can do 5 knee push-ups if I put my mind to it and was really proud of my one minute plank. Well, there's always something new to aspire to :)

• Like 2

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Congrats!  That is fantastic news about your cholesterol!

Best of luck with the uber clean eating the week - my body is already feeling so much happier now that I'm putting good, healthy food in again.  I'm sure it won't take you long at all to readjust.  Also, your fitness results are impressive!!  27 push-ups and a 3 minute plank?? 

giphy.gif

I feel you on your body telling you what's good for you. I'm still amazed at how quickly my body decided that too many carbs are yucky, when I've never had any problems before starting this diet. In my head, my stomach was a tired old man back then, who had to devour carb after carb and didn't have energy to protest anymore. But now that it's been allowed to feed on vegetables and fruits and lots of protein and healthy fats, it won't take shit  from me anymore ;)

Oh my god, this is the best analogy.  I love it!!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 17.25 | DEX 12 | STA 20.75 | CON 34.75 | WIS 22 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 CURRENT: TBA

I have never tried deep dish pizza, so that's high on the list! I'd love some healthy recommendations too though! 

Okay, here are a few recommendations that may be of some interest. Turns out, most of the places that I eat when we go out are not necessarily "healthy." Typically eat healthy at home and then go to places that have great food when going out.

Costa Rican - http://www.irazuchicago.com/Just a fantastic place in Bucktown. Cash only, just so you know. 

Revolution Brewing - http://revbrew.com/home/. Don't know I'd say this is healthy, but the food is really great, especially the Hombre Burger. I don't drink, but my drinking friends love their beer.

Cuban - http://www.90milescubancafe.com/. This place is great, go to the Logan Square location. I love the cafe con leche. 

• Like 2

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Okay, here are a few recommendations that may be of some interest. Turns out, most of the places that I eat when we go out are not necessarily "healthy." Typically eat healthy at home and then go to places that have great food when going out.

Costa Rican - http://www.irazuchicago.com/Just a fantastic place in Bucktown. Cash only, just so you know. 

Revolution Brewing - http://revbrew.com/home/. Don't know I'd say this is healthy, but the food is really great, especially the Hombre Burger. I don't drink, but my drinking friends love their beer.

Cuban - http://www.90milescubancafe.com/. This place is great, go to the Logan Square location. I love the cafe con leche. 

Irazu looks amazing. I'm feeling hungry for some plantains now!

• Like 1

Update:

I'm still frantically catching up on NF threads! Today was a bit better overall, though I've definitely been feeling worn out today. 

Strength

Nothing today. And I realized I won't be able to go to bootcamp in the morning since I have a wellness screening for my health insurance. I could possibly do it and then get to the appointment....but I don't know how I'd have time to shower before work, which seems like a bad idea. I guess I'll have to try to make it on Friday, even though my friends will be crashing with me tomorrow night/Friday before our weekend drive down to NJ. Also Friday is boxing day...and I hate boxing. But I have to get that workout in somehow!

And then I guess I'll do my third workout on Sunday night, assuming I get back at a reasonable hour.

Food

I was good today (with the exception of my last challenge-proof piece of birthday dessert) for the most part. I've been frenzied, so I am still getting back into the swing of things with cooking. I prepared a meal plan for next week when I'm back from this weekend's trip, and I'm already looking forward to all of the yummy things I'm going to make. For this week, I made a bunch of pork. But then I ended up impulsively having bacon guacamole sandwiches that I came across when looking at the Nom Nom Paleo site instead of the pork I cooked. Unsurprisingly, they were great!

I have a miniboss battle at work tomorrow - we're having a catered work lunch. They always get chicken parm. It's not even that the food is that good, but more that there aren't many healthy options as part of the spread. There's usually just a pretty mediocre salad. But bringing my own lunch would draw too much attention and make me feel awkward. SO I'm planning to bring some hardboiled eggs as an extra snack to work for protein, and then focus on the salad during the actual lunch. If it looks too meager or I feel too uncomfortable, I might scrape the breading off a small piece of chicken and include that as well.

Walking

I got in 4.42 miles today as I work to catch up on the slow start with walking. I haven't done any rucking yet. I think for this to work, I need to stuff a backpack with weights and have it ready to go for when I decide to go on a walk.

Reading

I've been doing the bare minimum here so far, but as long as I'm maintaining the habit, I'm good on this one! 

Other

I did the NF yoga Fire A yoga video this morning. My legs feel a bit overstretched, but I've been neglecting my stretching so it's to be expected.

• Like 3