Scumspawn's third challenge Sept 15, let's level up!

Scumspawn

I'm 48 and a stone overweight with a dodgy knee. I've been working on the knee all year and it is getting better. I'm not losing any weight though.

In the 2nd week of the challenge I'm booked in for a blood test, I've got high blood pressure and that needs sorting.

I like running but I'm taking it very easy 'cos of the knee - week 1,2 and 3 of C25K is enough at the moment. I have 4kg dumbells at home and an 8.5kg kettleball and at the gym I lift slightly heavier weights. I do easy routines, anything complicated stops me exercising alltogether.

Challenge 3 is a refinement of challenge 2 which was over the summer holidays and really difficult to focus on. I did really well at drinking more water and respawning after eating something not so good - so one biscuit doesn't mean the whole packet for me any more - that is a breakthrough.

I've reset all my quests and I'm going to work through them properly and slowly now too.

Quest 1 - Exercise properly, giving it full attention and working hard twice a week (this is for knee rehab)
STR 2 STA 2 DEX 1  CON 1 CHA 1

Quest 2 - Change my eating habits for the better, split into weeks to make it easier for me to stick to.

CON 2 WIS 1 CHA 2

Week 1 - drink more water (easiest)

Week 2 - +no sugar for 4 days at least (easy)

Week 3 +no wheat for 4 days at least, no sugar for 5 days at least no cheese for 3

Week 4 +no wheat for 5 days at least, no sugar for 6, no cheese for 4

Week 5 +no wheat for 6 days at least, no sugar for 7, no cheese for 5

Week 6 + no wheat or sugar or cheese

I'm going to reward myself at the end of each week with a beauty treat, a haircut, new nail varnish..... some nice smelly bath stuff......

extra points for stopping eating when I am full,

WIS 1

Life Goal - declutter

WIS 2

STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Week 1 food goal is from the Academy challenges

"Drink a minimum of 3l of water a day for 5 days in a 7 day stretch"

To level up to 4 in Nutrition I need to:

keep liquid calories reduced.

drink more water

have no grains at breakfast for 2 weeks.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

• Neck 13.5
  • Chest 40
  • Biceps 12
  • Waist 34
  • Hips 40.5
  • Thigh 22.5
  • Calf 15

Weight at the Dr's yesterday was 11st 8.

gallery_41123_1983_11919.jpg

MIndset "Why"

I want to fit into these grey trousers again because the way I look now makes me feel old, like I have no respect for myself and that I am weak. I see this flabby stomach every day and it makes me hate myself.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Batcave - placeholder

make 3 changes that make it easier to achieve my goals

• put gym kit next to bed
  • keep water filter filled
  • buy a sports bra I dont have to fight with every time I try to put it on or take it off

make 3 barriers to stop me failing

• buy good healthy food not crap and meal plan
  • buy tortilla wraps instead of bread - they are not so moreish
  • diary in exercise days
  • Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Batcave - placeholder

make 3 changes that make it easier to achieve my goals

• put gym kit next to bed
  • keep water filter filled
  • buy a sports bra I dont have to fight with every time I try to put it on or take it off

make 3 barriers to stop me failing

• don't buy crap food
  •  

What a brilliant idea!  I love the idea of setting yourself up for success like this!

Following along!

• Like 1

Level 13 Ravenclaw Adventurer

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 12 | 13 CURRENT: 14

Buy a sports bra ... have you checked out the online store "Brastop" yet?

I order all my bras there, and they're in the UK... I am sure they'll have sports bras too.

got one from Marks and Spencers, alongside 3 other bras - I was waiting until I lost weight but that hasn't happened. Oh the joy of having underwear that fits!

What a brilliant idea!  I love the idea of setting yourself up for success like this!

Following along!

Yep, no failing at all planned :-) - well I sort of have planned in failure days - "wheat for 5 out of 7 days" means I don't know what is going to happen on 2 of the 7 days but that is fine. I've proven to myself that I can be moderate around things like biscuits - cheese sandwiches are a different matter.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

MIndset "Why"

I want to fit into these grey trousers again because the way I look now makes me feel old, like I have no respect for myself and that I am weak. I see this flabby stomach every day and it makes me hate myself.

I feel like you should also get the same outfit that the little penguin is wearing...

I understand the self-hate as I dealt with it all my life as well. However, it's not healthy to be that hard on yourself.

• Like 3

You should not hate yourself when looking at your stomach. How can you say such a thing...

Do you know hat I see looking at your pics? Actually I see that there is an outline of a nice waist (I'll point it out to you if you say you aren't seeing it !!!). And you're going to reveal it during this challenge. 

Flabby stomach… it held a baby once. It is battleproof. It deserves respect. And with this challenge, you'll give it positive attention. Shaping it, tuning it and treating it from inside with decent food, and from outside maybe with nice brush massages and a good smelling body lotion...

Sounds much better than just hating youself, don't you think? :)

• Like 4

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Silverwitch is right, what you are dealing with is a duck/rabbit thing. Your perspective determines your reality. If you struggle with hating yourself, begin to tell yourself that you love yourself. It worked for me. Begin each day writing down in a journal some variation of "I love myself and accept myself the way I am. I will work on losing weight, but I love myself now." Telling yourself that, over and over, in writing everyday will change your beliefs about yourself.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You should not hate yourself when looking at your stomach. How can you say such a thing...

Do you know hat I see looking at your pics? Actually I see that there is an outline of a nice waist (I'll point it out to you if you say you aren't seeing it !!!). And you're going to reveal it during this challenge. 

Flabby stomach… it held a baby once. It is battleproof. It deserves respect. And with this challenge, you'll give it positive attention. Shaping it, tuning it and treating it from inside with decent food, and from outside maybe with nice brush massages and a good smelling body lotion...

Sounds much better than just hating youself, don't you think? :)

This was said much better than I could...

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: it's all routine

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 64

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

oh you lovely lovely people. thank you!

• Like 3

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Quest 2 - Change my eating habits for the better, split into weeks to make it easier for me to stick to.

CON 2 WIS 1 CHA 2

Week 1 - drink more water (easiest)

Week 2 - +no sugar for 4 days at least (easy)

Week 3 +no wheat for 4 days at least, no sugar for 5 days at least no cheese for 3

Week 4 +no wheat for 5 days at least, no sugar for 6, no cheese for 2

Week 5 +no wheat for 6 days at least, no sugar for 7, no cheese for 1

Week 6 + no wheat or sugar or cheese

Nice, I like how you decided to go with this goal breakdown.

We got this Scumspawn.

• Like 1

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

Inspired by you, I looked up this Plant Nanny app. It's so cute - and useful at the same time! I'll put it on my phone, too. To drink more water is never a bad idea. 

I've been drinking 2.5 litres a day (from nothing) consistently now for 3 weeks, it really works! I don't dare let one of them die, they are too cute, and I'm usually immune to cuteness!

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

And I agree with what everyone else has said about not hating yourself - they have all said it much better than I could have, but I agree 110%.  

When I say I can't do something my trainer just looks at me, smiles and says "No negativity" in his Jamaican accent and that gets me moving again.  So I'm going to say to you too (only I can't do the accent) "No negativity!".

• Like 2

I've been drinking 2.5 litres a day (from nothing) consistently now for 3 weeks, it really works! I don't dare let one of them die, they are too cute, and I'm usually immune to cuteness!

Usually, I'm immune to cuteness that has been drawn … but these tickle my responsibility feeling. Can't let die what you feel sort of … responsible for. :D

Hm, interesting thought just came up: shouldn't I "water" myself too, out of responsibility and care? 

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Usually, I'm immune to cuteness that has been drawn … but these tickle my responsibility feeling. Can't let die what you feel sort of … responsible for. :D

Hm, interesting thought just came up: shouldn't I "water" myself too, out of responsibility and care? 

I'm much better at putting other people and it seems animated plants first :-) I think the depersonalisation thing is what is making NF work for me - it's not about me, its about levels and I can cope with that but when I get into trying to do something for me I come second, then third, then the train of thought comes in that I'm just not worth it......... making progress bars bigger is something I can deal with, the rest of it would take years of therapy, because the years I have had haven't made a difference to that :-)

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Silverwitch is right, what you are dealing with is a duck/rabbit thing. Your perspective determines your reality. If you struggle with hating yourself, begin to tell yourself that you love yourself. It worked for me. Begin each day writing down in a journal some variation of "I love myself and accept myself the way I am. I will work on losing weight, but I love myself now." Telling yourself that, over and over, in writing everyday will change your beliefs about yourself.

As always, you are right :-)

I'm working through MoodGYM which is a free CBT thingy - https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/ the self esteem module suggests the much same as you have, your suggestion was to write down 3 nice things about myself each day which I do on and off.

I've cut and pasted it here because I'll do it (privately) but also because the second idea I really like - pretending I'm someone else might make me less harsh on myself.

• Every day in the next week spend 10 minutes doing something that you like to do. This means indulging yourself, spending time alone, if you like doing that, with music, etc.
  • Spend 5 minutes everyday being as nice to yourself as you would to a friend who has problems with their self-esteem.

For example, if you react badly to a situation, don’t say to yourself "you worthless worm", say "it’s pretty normal to react that way, you are being hard on yourself. I think you handled the situation as best you could", etc.

Keep a diary of these interactions – so that you know that you did the exercise, and you develop ideas about how this exercise is working for you.

• Like 2

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

tomorrow is a new start day.

I have the gym at 8.20 and a PT session, which is going to be harsh - especially as I drank far too much last night and I have the most awful hangover today. Almost been sick hangover :-( it's my last for a while now!

• Like 2

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%