• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mr_Willes

MR_Willes: "Awesome, Dude!"

Yeah i was thinking about adding chinups/pullups and pushups/dips to my routine. To emphasize my arms more, which i think are lagging a bit behind.

I mean i can squat 1.3 times my bodyweight, and only do 3 chinups...

• Like 1

Yeah i was thinking about adding chinups/pullups and pushups/dips to my routine. To emphasize my arms more, which i think are lagging a bit behind.

I mean i can squat 1.3 times my bodyweight, and only do 3 chinups...

Chin-ups are the best assistance exercise there is, I am all in favor of this plan. Upper body training is hard, but it'll pay off. You're doing great, that's three more chins than most people can do, even on this forum! 

• Like 1

The plan was to start every stronglifts with 5x3 chin ups with a 1,5 - 2 minute break in between sets. After that the normal stronglifts routine. And after the normal stronglifts a session of 5x10 (or so) pushups. Every once in a while try dips, and once i can do those a couple with good form exchange the pushups with dips.

• Like 1

The plan was to start every stronglifts with 5x3 chin ups with a 1,5 - 2 minute break in between sets. After that the normal stronglifts routine. And after the normal stronglifts a session of 5x10 (or so) pushups. Every once in a while try dips, and once i can do those a couple with good form exchange the pushups with dips.

If you do both rows and chins, you may find you quickly have trouble progressing since you're essentially doing as many as three upper body exercises in one session. If you give swapping in chins a try, I think you'll see better progress all the way around. I think you can probably manage the push-ups and dips because you are a beast, but then again you might decide a Workout A/Workout B approach for chins and push-ups is in order. 

Ok let me think this through:

Stronglifts is:

SQ - OHP - DL

and

SQ - BP - BR

The version i was thinking about would be:

Chinups - SQ - OHP - DL - Pushups

and

Chinups - SQ - BP - BR - Pushups

I tried coloring the same movement excercises in the same color, is it correct like this?

This way i tried to alter between push movements and pull movements

One of the double-edged things about the compound lifts is they hit a wide range of muscle groups; chins are the ultimate assistance exercise because, although no barbell is involved, it works darn near all the muscles from glutes up:

Chins involve lats, delts, biceps/triceps, the entire band of muscle from abs to spine, with a wee bit of chest recruitment.

OHP touches all muscles from traps to quads/hams if you use your body like a bow to get the bar overhead.

Push-ups and BP share most of the muscles that are being worked, I'd argue BP stresses legs more than push-ups, but close enough for our purposes. 

Barbell rows hit everything the chins do and applies tension to the glutes and legs in the similar way as the deadlift, but for a lesser ROM.

So with this format you are working upper body three times and four times, respectively. This is completely fine, just be aware that this is occurring and it will impact progress to some degree. Push-ups and rows are the weakest links, IMHO; pushups because you can't stably scale up the weight (without just gaining the weight yourself in LBM and fat), rows because I'm not a big fan of how the spine is held in an awkward kind of mid-rise position and it's not a very natural exercise vs deadlift and associated DL assistance work (rack pulls, for example).

So, let's say you keep all of the exercises. Instead of doing push-ups and chins every session, alternate them to at least keep the type of upper body work spread out and reduce the stress your poor upper body will be under:

SQ - OHP - DL - Pushups

and

Chinups - SQ - BP - BR

HOWEVER, this is a still a lot of upper body work and it's already got some catching up to do. Less is more with compound lifts, since you want to see those numbers go up, yes? Here would be the more ideal scenario, if you dig it:

SQ - OHP - DL - Pushups

and

SQ - BP - Chinups

I position chins at the end of the B-side workout because they're assistance work (if you're winded from a hard BP session, drop 'em) and you have the luxury or not having three upper body exercises in a row this way. Same story for push-ups, exact same logic. Alternative logic would be to have a day dedicated to chins and do the first variation of the workout schedule sans chins. It's all about what exercises are most important to you, as we also have to take into account the inevitability these bodyweight exercises will appear in the mini and you will be doing ALL OF THE REPS, because of course you will, you're a badass.  

• Like 2

Wow this has to sink in...

As i am all about efficiency i like to believe Mehdi's original story, just do all the basic strong lifts and you'll get stronger. Great! Super efficient! BUT my arms need extra work, cause they are my weakest link. And i really hate it that i can't do those things in numbers i can do other stuff. No way i would hit a couple of hundred chin ups or a thousand pushups in a small time (like i can with other stuff). And i want to be able to do that (eventually). So for now i'm gonna just add them and see how it works out. So it looks like i'm gonna do your last recommendation more or less. Since the Barbell row isn't my best excercise with me seeking form etc i'm gonna try and subbing it with power cleans, to transfer to the startingstrength program, and see how that goes.

I read through the app from stronglifts and they suggest assistance excercises 3 sets till failure. So that's what it's gonna be for the moment. 

SQ - OHP - DL - Pushups

and

SQ - BP - PC - Chinups

This also satisfies my inner autistic tendency to have a balanced workout (4 excercises on both days).

• Like 3

You want word vomit, I'm your girl. Sorry about that.

I am in great favor of this substitution, switching to starting strength (what can I say?), and exercise symmetry. Massive thumbs-up. Re: the weaker lifts, heaviest weights you can do for 3x5 will get you stronger ASAP. Work 'em hard, rest 'em hard. You'll catch up, no prob, of that I have no doubt. 

• Like 3

Almost forgot about the levelling up!

I had a completion rate of 88% there are 15 points to distribute 88% of 15 is 13,2 rounded down to 13 stat points.

Full score would mean:

Quest 1 Eating (94%): DEX+1 STA+1 CON+1 CHA+1
Quest 2 Exercising (82%) STR+2 STA+2
Quest 3 Beer (95%): CHA+1 CON+1 STA+1
Quest 4 Protein (82%): STR+2 DEX+1 STA+1

So i'm gonna take out one STA for the Exercising-quest and one DEX for the Protein-quest.

Gives a total of STR+4 DEX+1 STA+4 CON+2 CHA+2 (13) for the Challenge
For the mini challenge:
  • Simply walking to mordor: STA+1
  • Battle in the mines: STR+1
  • I didn't Relax in Rivendel
  • Let's Hunt some Orc: CON+1
  • Survive Cirith Ungol: DEX+1
  • Time to climb: WIS+1

Gives a grand total of

STR+5 DEX+2 STA+5 CON+3 WIS+1 CHA+2

And upgrading to a level 6 Orc Assassin!
  • Like 4

Fantastic leveling up!  Yeah I know I've been gone for a while, but I have been lurking!  Awesome work on this challenge and I'll be following along your next challenge as well :D

Congrats!

Thank you very much! It's nice to see something for the hard work delivered the last 6 days. Oow and tonight is weighing!!! Curious!!!

Fantastic leveling up!  Yeah I know I've been gone for a while, but I have been lurking!  Awesome work on this challenge and I'll be following along your next challenge as well :D

I do a lot of lurking, a lot! I want to keep up with everyone but it's just not possible, with my family at home, work, working out, my family here, the ambassadoring, lurking and keeping up with everything. But i read ALL the mail notifications, so i lurk a lot offline.

1333387307_dramatic_hamster_behind_cocac

Thank you for the compliment, it was a rather decent challenge. Great i'm definittely gonna be following you. If you haven't done so you should also check DWK - llama topic. The challenge didn't even started and it's already madness over there, i think you will like it ;)

• Like 5

Congratulations on all the awesome, whoooohoooo!!

Can't wait for your new challenge to go up, I have a feeling we're in for epic adventures ;)

Always love your spirit, you don't just rock thing, your enthusiasm is also immensely infectious. Whenever I do catch up on you I smile real big immediately, thank you!!

There is something forming in my head, (also thanks to Dan)... But i'm tuning it down a notch... That's for sure.

Don't know where it ends up, we'll see!

• Like 3

Found the starting pic of my next challenge!

So it's gonna be like this:

UHovhdq.jpg

And now it's time to hit the weights, because i had my preworkout 45 minutes ago and i'm feeling all bouncy, i'm gonna wreck that SQUATS!

972510c7499243d7cd5d79f3efb42f4202597d22

• Like 5

Thank you for the compliment, it was a rather decent challenge. Great i'm definittely gonna be following you. If you haven't done so you should also check DWK - llama topic. The challenge didn't even started and it's already madness over there, i think you will like it ;)

Llama topic?  Man I have been seeing threads BLOW UP!  I'll have to find that!

• Like 2