Dradis

Back with my first challenge in a while as i need something to keep me accountable trying to form some new habits

At first glance this isn't going to look very warrior-like, however i am still lifting 3-4 times/week, a habit which is fully ingrained now, and i think there must be other warrior folk who could benefit from similar things (who couldn't?).

I foam roll and stretch after each session, everything here is in addition to that.

Back story

========================================================================

I keep getting injured (shoulder and back). I don't like it. It's screwing my progress. Its miserable. It hurts. My posture is whack (non-official diagnosis). I started a thread with helpful stuff here:
http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70646-counter-desk-job-program/

Big things a-happening

========================================================================

Finishing job (desk, boo) 5 days before end of this challenge, prior to emigrating 1 month after (hello America!)

My stag-do (bachelor party for the US folk) is 3 days before the end of this challenge. I hope to be improved, if not fully better by then so i can enjoy whatever activities come my way.

I have a wedding in a week or so, that will likely be an "eat/drink like an asshole" time, which i'm allowing.

Main goal

=========================================================================

Improve posture, be more flexible, have better mobility, fix injuries, prevent injuries (those are all one thing!)

Tasks

=========================================================================

1 - Do SOMETHING from the above thread every single day. Trying for 10mins/day outside the gym.

2 - "Don't eat like an asshole" - I think it was Curl Brogo who came up with this phrase, apologies if it wasn't.

3 - Resist the temptation to go back to squats and deadlifts too early.

Other than doing SOMETHING every day i have no real specific goals. I don't see how i can have with these.

As always, suggestions welcome. Please prod me if it appears i've fallen off the wagon.

• Like 1

I figured out what is wrong with my shoulder, I know you asked me about it on the flexiness challenge last time!  Apparently at work, I hold the mouse with my right hand, and prop my left hand under my chin with my elbow on my desk and learn forward.  This is NOT good for my left shoulder lol.  The problem is, I only realize I'm doing it when it starts to hurt. If you see any good suggestions, please let me know! I promise I'll pop by and make sure you haven't fallen off the mobility wagon in return.

What I do:

every morning: neck circles (5 each direction), shoulder rolls (5 each direction), windmills (10 each direction) - this has helped me, but I'm not all better or anything.

before each workout - the ninja turtle mobility workout on NF somewhere

every 4-6 weeks (theoretically) regular massages - theoretically because they're expensive and I'm a broke grad student.  I'm fixing to switch to someone cheaper that I can actually afford to go to every 4-6 weeks.

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

I figured out what is wrong with my shoulder, I know you asked me about it on the flexiness challenge last time!  Apparently at work, I hold the mouse with my right hand, and prop my left hand under my chin with my elbow on my desk and learn forward.  This is NOT good for my left shoulder lol.  The problem is, I only realize I'm doing it when it starts to hurt. If you see any good suggestions, please let me know! I promise I'll pop by and make sure you haven't fallen off the mobility wagon in return.

What I do:

every morning: neck circles (5 each direction), shoulder rolls (5 each direction), windmills (10 each direction) - this has helped me, but I'm not all better or anything.

before each workout - the ninja turtle mobility workout on NF somewhere

every 4-6 weeks (theoretically) regular massages - theoretically because they're expensive and I'm a broke grad student.  I'm fixing to switch to someone cheaper that I can actually afford to go to every 4-6 weeks.

Interesting, there are 3 of us (that i know of) in the office here with rotator cuff injuries and all of them are on the mouse side, not the other. I did wonder whether it was the amount of time spent slightly lopsided with one hand resting on keyboard and one on mouse. Mouse side is normally the dominant hand though, so figured that is probably a better link.

I think everyone in the office must think i have ants in my pants as i spend a lot of time getting up and down from my desk nowadays.

I've been having sports massages too, for my back each time. They're great, but more than once per month (if that) is enough dollar especially on top of gym fees.

Have you seen those posture wearables? They're meant to alert you when you slouch and stuff. I can't remember any of their names, will have to go look. They seem a good idea for desk jockeys but i have no idea how well they actually work

Hmm... those look interesting. I've been looking into getting a fitness tracker, and I like that some of them will vibrate when you've been sitting a while.  I think that sounds good, because it would at least get me up and moving.  I remember reading in Supple Leopard that it's almost impossible to reset your posture while sitting. The best way is really to get up and then sit down again. 

Re: what side the pain is on - It might be a job related thing.  I have some coworkers who are programmers and they have the same issue I do (i.e. spend more time looking at the screen rather than typing).  But the people on the business side seem to have more issues with their right shoulder (which could be that they spend more time typing than just looking at the screen).  However, I've been told by massage people that both of my shoulders are terrible, and it may just be a coincidence that only the left one usually hurts.

Please note: this is all pure speculation, I really have no idea. 

• Like 1

Lurking on your challenge with interest because I'll probably target the same area (upper back and shoulders) for my side quest to accompany physical therapy for elbow, hips, and lower back... I think these injuries stemmed in part from kyphosis and my bumbling reaction to it.

FWIW, I have a Lumo Back (lower back) and a Lumo Lift (upper back). I don't use them. :(

I've been considering putting on the Lift again, and I might still. Here's the thing, though, and it's a pretty obvious thing that escaped me not once but twice: You have to calibrate it by getting into a "perfect posture" position and pushing a button to tell it, "yes, now I have perfect posture!" And of course that perfect posture changes when you're sitting or standing. If I could identify perfect posture by feel throughout the day, I wouldn't need the darned device. You may have better luck with this than I do, but I didn't find either one helpful at all. For me, both devices were just expensive, glorified pedometers (everyfrickingthing has a pedometer built in now) that buzzed at me a lot until I turned them off.

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

Tbh I'm not gonna get one of the devices, I just came across them. I'm relying on fixing my muscle imbalances to do the job. I've had decent results with my rolled shoulders and kyphosis so far by reducing my presses and increasing my pulls.

Now I need to do the same with my anterior pelvic tilt. Everything I've read says it can actually be corrected fairly quickly (say 6 weeks). I dunno if that is while still doing the thing that causes it though.

I took a side progress photo (usually only do front) and that is what made me decide I really need to do something. That and the lower back pain that could be linked. If I get brave enough and see any improvement I'll put it up. It's a bit out of focus/rubbish quality and I didn't retake as I was too shocked at how I was standing

Back with my first challenge in a while as i need something to keep me accountable trying to form some new habits

Looks like you popped on my thread to do exactly this, so returning the favor.

I keep getting injured (shoulder and back). I don't like it. It's screwing my progress. Its miserable.

Shoulder issues plaguing me over here.

Finishing job (desk, boo) 5 days before end of this challenge, prior to emigrating 1 month after (hello America!)

Where in the USA?

I figured out what is wrong with my shoulder, I know you asked me about it on the flexiness challenge last time!  Apparently at work, I hold the mouse with my right hand,

I think this is one of the contributors for me.   Keyboard and mouse sit on desk.  Desk is too high for proper arm posture.  Shoulder gets pushed up and forward.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

So i'll update, even though the challenge hasn't started yet. As prep today i decided to try turkish get ups as recommended by Machete on my mobility thread. Wow, erm, humbling. They look SO easy and i went cautious and tried only an 8kg kettlebell. After my first go i decided that no weight was probably the way to go  :triumphant:

Its not so much the weight that is an issue but rather the movement. And getting your leg from out front to behind requires a surprising amount of mobility. I'm confident the move will progress quickly after a few goes however.

I did swings too (with 20kg, too light), so basically Simple and Sinister routine.

Definitely something i'm going to continue doing.

(TN. I keep getting told to put the state as there are lots of the same place names :) )

I cannot think of too many cities named Nashville, so there will not be too much confusion.

Here is my theory:  Americans identify geography by state more often than by city.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Ok, we're off. I like to have a plan, so i've been working on one. Usually i lift 4-5 times per week, for about 45mins at a time so not marathon sessions. I need to stick as close as i can to 45mins so in order to fit more of this stuff in i've decided to try and go to the gym 6 days a week, but do less lifting each day than usual. 

Enough rambling, the plan....

Every AM - Band face pulls, thoracic bridge, band pull aparts

I absolutely HATE doing stuff early in the morning but realistically this is the only time i have where i have a chance of sticking to it. I've just gotta tell myself that this literally takes 3 mins and i can do it while having my coffee rather than sitting staring into space like a zombie.

Every gym session - Simple and Sinister program. This is basically a warm-up, 10x10 kettlebell swings and 10x1 turkish get ups. The 10 sets of swings will be supersetted with something each day.

Monday

<supersetted with swings>

Stability plank row pushup (i dunno the real name, basically pushup position, row some dumbbells then do a pushup) 

Dumbbell lateral raises

Dumbbell rear lateral raises

</supersetted with swings>

Dips

Tuesday

Goblet squat

Leg press (currently off back/front squats while recovering from a poorly back)

Wednesday

Kettlebell/dumbbell row

Lat pull down

Neutral grip machine row

Thursday

Arch holds

Hollow body holds

Maybe something lower back related, not deadlifts, yet (again, back recovering)

Lengthened foam rolling/stretching compared to usual

Friday

Box jumps

Lengthened foam rolling/stretching compared to usual

Saturday

Nothing

Chest press

Machine row

Leg press

Dumbbell raises

Lat pulldown

Jog (depending on the state i'm in)

Sunday

Planking with no tension (eg, just lie down and relax all day  :joyous: )

Mon-Weds should be more intense, then taper off a bit thurs-fri before hitting it hard again for full body on saturday.

I know all the machine work is not ideal, but with my back i don't have a lot of options at the moment. Was actually told by my PT that it was a solid idea til its better and i can get back to the fun stuff.

Enjoyable first day.

Did my face pulls and pull aparts this morning. Didn't do my bridges as i only decided to add them in afterwards as going from face pulls to pull aparts is fatiguing the same muscles.

Simple and Sinister+ as i'm calling it was absolutely savage. Loved it and feel really good. Only using a baby weight for the get-ups right now but i think they'll improve quickly. I already noticed significant form improvements from rep 1 to rep 10 today. I'm slightly better with the weight on my right side as when its on the left i have to support the weight, and my weight on my recovering right shoulder and it seems my left leg is less mobile than my right meaning i struggle with the movement getting it from in front to behind.

Delts totally burned out after all that.

Will do the bridges tonight to nail day 1.

Day 2 complete.

Pull aparts, thoracic bridges and face pulls done first thing this morning. Absolute torture (because first thing).

Tuesday workout above done. Not as tough as yesterday but pretty good. I probably couldn't handle yesterday's toughness 6 days a week anyway.

Shoulder is a little bit twingey. Not too bad. It got a lot of work yesterday.

Back is still pretty knotty, but its fairly pain-free now. Continuing self-massage (no sniggering in the back) whenever i can.

Sniggering?! We are way too grown up for sniggering.... have you SEEN all of the adulting challenges around here?

or not. haha. self-massage. (I'm not sniggering exactly. But pretty close)   

I'm glad your pain is better, even if it's still a little knotty.  Reading your thread is reminding me that I really need to do some shoulder work (though I have been getting better about leaning on my desk with my elbow.  I think it was an awareness issue)

• Like 1

Yeah, i get some funny things with my shoulder. Sometimes it just hurts, injury-type hurts, and pops and clicks and generally doesn't feel like its in the right place. This often happens after a massage actually, and sometimes just out of nowhere. Then it sorts itself and i get back to being knotty (shoulder, upper and lower back, just a mess here).

It's happened so much over the last 6 months that i've kinda got a feel for it and i can tell not to worry about it too much. Obviously i hope to rid myself of this issue eventually.

My PT (who is also my masseuse) reckons that any trigger point/knot work is just a band aid and they'll keep coming back until the underlying (likely posture) problem is resolved.

On that note, today was my holy grail of posture fixing workouts - swings, get-ups, rows, pulldowns.

I also did my face pulls, pull aparts and bridges this morning, grudgingly still.

I spent my short rest periods looking longingly and people deadlifting.

Another successful day.

Morning routine grudgingly done.

Thursday workout done. I didn't do the arch holds and hollow body holds. I did simple & sinister and then finished off with some light, high rep deadlifts. Used the opportunity to practice hook grip a bit.

Next couple of days are a bit messed up. Moving saturday workout to tomorrow as that is my biggie and don't wanna miss that one and then i'm away at a wedding for the weekend so i'll be feeding the gainz somewhat.

I was reminded on Sam's thread, that i've been doing "happy baby" every evening as part of my mobility too.

Today, while doing prying squats i had a bit of a tinker with form. I can now sit in what i consider a fairly decent grok squat with no weight. Knees almost in armpits (close enough), chest up, feet shoulder width apart. This is in my "crossfit" lifting shoes so might not hold true barefoot but its still a woot for improvement.

• Like 2

Today, while doing prying squats i had a bit of a tinker with form. I can now sit in what i consider a fairly decent grok squat with no weight. Knees almost in armpits (close enough), chest up, feet shoulder width apart. This is in my "crossfit" lifting shoes so might not hold true barefoot but its still a woot for improvement.

lotr-hobbit-toast.gif

Ran out of time and had to leave for a train so no mobility this morning.

Hit the gym though, so I did pull apart and bridges there. Couldn't find a band for face pulls.

Then I did my "saturday" workout, went well. The weight I tried to start with on TGUs and failed miserably is now doable with some pretty solid, slow reps.

Away for weekend, have brought a band for pull aparts. Might get to do bridges but I'm in a shared room so no promises.

I feel like a need a couple of days off. Secretly I'm glad it was a 5 day gym week and not a 6. The kettlebell stuff is deceivingly tough, and very sweaty

Well, i can safely say no progress was made over the weekend and i've probably gone backwards. I'm avoiding the scale that's for sure.

Back on it today though. No mobility this morning as i got less than 5 hrs sleep meaning i woke up a tad late and had to rush. I can do this evening, so hope is not all lost.

Despite the lack of sleep i'm hoping for a decent gym session today. I should certainly be loaded up to the max with energy after all the eating for 3 days.

Having a crappy day. Feel fat and weak, which is the worst. And also like i may never be injury-free again. Basically i'm fighting the urge to binge eat to feel better right now.

I did my mobility and struggled through my workout. I had to drop some sets of goblet squats as my back started to seize up and i just can't be going through all that again. All at the same weight i managed last week, which is annoying

I'm really bad at motivational things. All I can say is hopefully it will get better.

Good for you with doing the mobility stuff despite crappy day!

And with regard to the squats... Injury recovery is typically not linear. Hopefully the general trend is up in the long run.

Thanks. My crappy day started well before the gym if i'm honest. That and poor gym are probably linked.

If i can gleam anything good from the gym today its that my back hasn't hurt since i left. So, touch wood, i didn't do too much and re-aggravate anything.

Oh, actually, i did 12kg for TGUs today too after i realised i'd been doing twice as many reps as i needed to to follow the program, so i bumped the weight. Not too difficult either. Early problems were clearly form.

Its not all doom and gloom, although i have eaten like an asshole!

The injuries are really getting me down now though. I seem to heal SO slowly. Might as well have written off a whole year of strength gains because of it. Would be good to be better in a month for when i finish work, so i can get a good month of lifting in before i leave the country. November 6th is my injury-maversary.

Had to work from home yesterday so i could get some vaccinations done for my US visa. So i missed out on gym. Annoying but not a lot i could do about it.

Back on it today.

Mobility stuff is still on track.

Still eating a little bit like an asshole but starting to reign it in a bit.

I'm seeing a chiropractor about my shoulder and back tomorrow. I'm excited. The amount of excitement tells me something about my life  :rolleyes-new: