bgvanbur returns to Disney World

bgvanbur

Background

Last challenge I finished an epic goal of running 99 miles.  I am recovered now and time to work on the next goal except I don't know what the new epic goal will be.  But I figured for the rest of the pre-snow running I will aim to run faster.

At the beginning of November my family might go for a trip several hours away for a charity 5k that my wife is close to charity-wise (and my brother is close to location-wise).  But we aren't sure about her traveling and such so this plan is still up in the air.  If not, I am planning on running a local 50k for the third year in a row.  So definitely working on fast runs will help me with the 5k or 50k (since I ran 99 miles, those are now "short" distances I think, please note I am being totally sarcastic).  In all seriousness, I have a tremedous amount of base even for a 50k, so I think running fast will help me most anyways for beating last year's 50k and will obviously help with the 5k.

The first weekend I plan to stay overnight to volunteer at a 50k / 50miler / 100miler with one of my kids.

In the middle of this challenge, my family is going to Disney World for 10 days.  So I will account for that as only having 32 possible workout days (though I plan to get in maybe 2 easy runs during the trip).

When I get back from Disney I head right back out to travel for work for an overnight.

kRpVGXWm.jpg

Goals

1) Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Working on speed to be fast like this rock star coaster!  
Do 14 speed workouts (14: A, 12: B, 10: C, 8: D)
+4 DEX

2) The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
It picks people and puts them down, and does a few reps, takes a break and does many sets every day.
Do 9 barbell workouts (9: A, 7: B, 5: C, 3: D)
+3STR

3) The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
A few long runs, would be easier with a magic carpet but I will make due just fine with these legs of mine.
Do 4 long runs
+2 STA

4) Kilimanjaro Safaris
Eat natural just like the real animal you are! (Perhaps if there was an electrified fence around the junk food it would be easier.)
95%+ primal days at home
+2 CON

5) Cinderella Castle
Eat amazing food and still look like a prince.  Indulge but not derail while at Disney.
Do not derail at Disney
+1 WIS

6) Tom Sawyer Island
This island is full of so much fun for the boys, definitely want to have fun with them throughout the entire challenge.

Have fun with the boys most days

+3 CHA

p8L4drmm.jpg

Stats
LVL: 24, FAILS: 2, STR: 37, DEX: 34.5, STA: 56.5, CON: 27.75, WIS: 21.5, CHA: 16.25

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Great theme and solid goals! Count me in!

I did the The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 mile way back when ... man the memories of 80°F and 90+% humidity at a night race ... 

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

Damn, for a night race that's insane. The Disneyland Half last weekend was pretty damn hot and humid but it wasn't that humid for sure. Also, yay Disneyworld!

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Great theme and solid goals! Count me in!

I did the The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 mile way back when ... man the memories of 80°F and 90+% humidity at a night race ... 

I looked into doing a Disney race, but the best time for us to go was when there wasn't a race going on.  Sounds like a pouring sweat kind of run :)

Damn, for a night race that's insane. The Disneyland Half last weekend was pretty damn hot and humid but it wasn't that humid for sure. Also, yay Disneyworld!

3 weeks today till leaving for Disney!

Been working on my barbell training plan, thinking of removing a lift or 2 and doing more sets on the important lifts and doing a deload just to get back into routine.

Oh what a FANTASTIC challenge and theme.  

Love the sarcasm but a 50k will feel shortish in relation to what you accomplished.  LOL  

Electric fence around junk food...BRILLIANT!

3debf45d6379b796de654bc67dff4cf6.jpg

2558336-diet-concept--fast-food-behind-b

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Having a great week zero so far.  I did a fast 10k bike ride on Tues, a fast 5k run on Wed, missed my group run on Thurs but did a weight lift workout once the kids went to bed, and did a fast 2.5 miler with the dog Fri.  I have been primal since Tuesday morning and the tiredness I was feeling previously has been lifted.  Definitely feel back to normal again :)

• Like 1

I was hoping to do a fast 10k trail loop over the weekend but alas I didn't work out.  But I had a "fun" weekend resoldering a hot water pipe and recaulking the master bathroom.

Ate a little too much crap last couple days, part of it was I knew I was going to stop eating it on Monday, feels like a yoyo eating diet pattern I never get out of.

• Like 1

I ate great all weekend and then last night happened.  We ate dinner very early.  I did not consider a snack in the evening.  Pizza and a subs with soda were ordered and all that.  Tasted great but left me sick this morning.  But it was eaten with that same old thought of well gotta have it together starting tomorrow.  Forget that I was eating well up until last night.  I used today as a justification to be extra stupid.  We had fruits and lean proteins and something I could have made but still yeah...I am right there with you.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

And yesterday was rough.  Even though I ate all primal foods I ate a ton of them since I was just hungry all day.  Happens every time after some big dirty carb days.  And pretty big carb flu last night which I haven't had in a while.

I tuned my bike yesterday and it took so long I only had a 15 minute bike ride but went from 2:20 to 1:40 on this hill near my house (according to Strava), so the tune up probably helped.  Will count as half a speed workout since it was so short.

Did my barbell workout this morning.  Have a group run planned for tonight and Thursday night so that should be nice.

• Like 1

Had carb flu recently.  Not so fun.  I wake up so congested too if I really go off the deep end.

Yay for biking!  Hope you have a good group run.

Doing good.  Primal (except a beer last night but that is within my deviation allocation).  Did a group run last night.  Did uphill sprints this morning.

Mon took the boys to the playground, Tues was American ninja warrior in the morning (still have more to watch so no spoilers!), Wed was hanging out at the park during my lunch break with my littlest.  So doing good on the fun with sons goal too.

• Like 2

My fastest 5k is 23:18.  My boston qualifier pace in 13 months (when I enter the 35 age group) has a pace of 7:14 minutes/mile.  That pace for a 5k with that pace is a 22:30, so that is the next target for my 5k.  The other day I ran a 25 minute one so not too far off considering I haven't done speedwork in a good while prior to the last week.

During lunch I did a jogging stroller all out mile and finished in 8:17 including 100 feet of elevation change.

• Like 4

My fastest 5k is 23:18. My boston qualifier pace in 13 months (when I enter the 35 age group) has a pace of 7:14 minutes/mile. That pace for a 5k with that pace is a 22:30, so that is the next target for my 5k. The other day I ran a 25 minute one so not too far off considering I haven't done speedwork in a good while prior to the last week.

During lunch I did a jogging stroller all out mile and finished in 8:17 including 100 feet of elevation change.

That's awesome! I'm curious what you've done for speedwork in the past, as I'm giving it a go for the first time ever this challenge. What have you found to be effective?

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

That's awesome! I'm curious what you've done for speedwork in the past, as I'm giving it a go for the first time ever this challenge. What have you found to be effective?

I find my base training helps me the most on going faster, but trying out doing more speedwork than I usually do since I have had plenty of base building over the summer.

...and still waiting to hear about the podcast you are going to be on after that epic 99 miles!!!

Me too, still haven't recorded it yet.

Week 1 Summary

3/14 speed workouts

It picks people and puts them down, and does a few reps, takes a break and does many sets every day.
3/9 barbell workouts

A few long runs, would be easier with a magic carpet but I will make due just fine with these legs of mine.
0/4 long runs

4) Kilimanjaro Safaris
Eat natural just like the real animal you are! (Perhaps if there was an electrified fence around the junk food it would be easier.)
95%+ primal days at home: 5/8 days

5) Cinderella Castle
Eat amazing food and still look like a prince.  Indulge but not derail while at Disney.
Do not derail at Disney: 0/0 days

6) Tom Sawyer Island
This island is full of so much fun for the boys, definitely want to have fun with them throughout the entire challenge.

Have fun with the boys most days: 7/8 days

• Like 2

Week 2 Summary

5/14 speed workouts

6/9 barbell workouts

1/4 long runs

4) Kilimanjaro Safaris
95%+ primal days at home: 6/16 days

5) Cinderella Castle
Do not derail at Disney: 0/0 days

6) Tom Sawyer Island

Have fun with the boys most days: 10/16 days

Did a half marathon training all out training run and shaved nearly 4 minutes off my PR!  But other than I have been pretty much sucking at this challenge.  And I have gained 18 pounds since my 99 miler.  Well time to go to Disney and worry about it when I get back :)

• Like 1

Disney was lots of things.  And after I got back from Disney I had no motivation.  I ran once and lifted twice in those 12 days.  Eating has been low quality and large quantity.  I am just not feeling this challenge.  But I am starting to turn it around and might need the next challenge as some further motivation to get out of this hole.

• Like 1

Ah, sorry to hear you're in a similar boat as I. Well, I think I have found a way out of the bog. Instead of oaring madly or not at all, I invested in a trolling motor! They are heavenly. Small, great maneuvering powers, and steady as she goes propellers!  So grab a trolling motor of your own and follow the trail that leads to your happiness! I'll see you through. We'll both make it.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Do 14 speed workouts (14: A, 12: B, 10: C, 8: D)

9/14

+2 DEX

Do 9 barbell workouts (9: A, 7: B, 5: C, 3: D)

7/9

+2.25 STR

Do 4 long runs

2/4
+1 STA

4) Kilimanjaro Safaris
95%+ primal days at home

7 days
+0.5 CON

5) Cinderella Castle
Do not derail at Disney

Did pretty good, C.
+0.5 WIS

6) Tom Sawyer Island

Have fun with the boys most days

22/42

+1.5 CHA

Calling this challenge a fail.  After Disney completely ignored the challenge.

Stats
LVL: 24, FAILS: 3, STR: 39.25, DEX: 36.5, STA: 57.5, CON: 28.25, WIS: 22, CHA: 17.75

• Like 1