Syren

29dwfgm.jpg

Because Saxophones 

The Search for the Non Creaky Body -- Chapter 16 -- Back in Time

Just Keep Swimming and Seek Natural Movement for Alignment, Flexibility, and Strength

Eat Cleaner -- Caffeine, you only think you need it 

Get Caught Up -- Anxiety Strikes When Procrastinating 

Week 0: Timecircuits on! -- Start the new schedule

2wnmjie.jpg

Week 1: Get up to Speed

2hzjmn5.jpg

Week 2: All of the Power!

iod6xe.jpg

Week 3: Cross the Genres -- Er, Crosstraining

2yns4js.jpg

Week 4: Seriously

dob4ec.jpg

Week 5: Rock On

29v03ll.jpg

Week 6: Last Chance

24bntig.jpg

• Like 2

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Dang ... did you and Elinox talk about this whole Back to the Future theme? If I hadn't already done time travelers ... man ... 

tumblr_nhh69nV7Fb1s3dtkro1_500.gif

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

Dang ... did you and Elinox talk about this whole Back to the Future theme? If I hadn't already done time travelers ... man ... 

tumblr_nhh69nV7Fb1s3dtkro1_500.gif

Nope, but that is kind of cool to have the same nerdspiration.

I had a McDonald's toy a long, long time ago that kind of resembles your GIF there.

No, there was no hope for me that I would not be a nerd.

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

I am going to call Week 0 mostly a success -- because I swam MTWF and worked on strength training RSaSu throughout the day (I have taken up swinging on the cabinets when I am alone in the lab... probably should not have told you that).

I have reduced my caffeine to 1.25 drinks a day instead of 2+ a day -- will be working on wiggling it down to 1 over the course of next week

The goal to be truly caffeine free is somewhat misleading -- I do not want to be caffeine dependent for early morning and late afternoon energy -- caffeine has some good properties other than stimulant, so I would like to still to be able to drink a cup or two of coffee -- but perhaps ween myself from the Starbucks and other Coffee Joints as a regular -- they know what I want when I come in now! I must stop this madness!

*Coughs* Still working on that procrastinating -- as I type on NF instead of making my lesson plans for the week

>_>

<_<

:hopelessness:

• Like 1

Monday -- Workout with the Masters

250 easy free

100 kick

4 x 50 uni-paddle drill alt moderate free

200 reverse IM (with fins!)

100 uni-paddle drill

4 x 75 stroke speed drill 

100 uni-paddle drill

4 x 125 stroke speed drill

100 uni-paddle drill

825 stroke speed build -- epic charlie horse off the 825 turn :(

50 easy free

Total 2725 yards

Tuesday's Swim -- Absolutely no freestyle! (also 30 minute swim)

200 Breaststroke

100 Backstroke

100 fly kick

4 x 50 fly pull drill

100 fly kick

4 x 25 fly -- attempt perfect form

100 backstroke

4 x 25 fly -- attempt perfect form

100 backstroke

200 breaststroke

Total 1200 yards

• Like 2

I have all of my lectures set for bio II (but I had most of those ready from the last time I taught it)

Need to make quizzes for my 3 sections for the remainder of the semester and I will feel awesome.

I cannot yet make my lecture for Gen. Bio for Non-Majors for this week --- because I have yet to receive the content that I am supposed to be teaching!

Presumably it is about cells

If I don't get the material this weekend, I am going to give a lecture about animal anatomy, because I like that. Consequences be damned

However, I need to compose quizzes, lectures, and exams for the remainder of the semester for my 2 sections of this class and life will be amazing.

Alternatively, I think that if I can find my toothbrush for this evening, life will be equally amazing.

Today's Swim -- I got yelled at by my coach for not stopping when I thought I had missed the interval, but apparently had not missed it?

200 swim allt choice drill

100 kick

200 IM

200 Free

200 Pull

100 kick

100 free

6 x 50 fist drill alt build

10 x 100 interval descend -- supposed to decrease from 2:05 minute interval to a 1:05 minute interval by 5 seconds each 100 (not possible for me since my 100 time is generally 1:45 minutes... I calculated, but apparently was never right -- we often have a point of contention about timing my coach and I -- we also disagree about physics quite a bit too -- so it goes

100 kick

100 unipaddle drill

Total 2600 yards

Caffeine consumption has regressed this week -- so we shall revisit that tomorrow -- had way too much yesterday -- which made me feel like I had not had enough today

Now I am off to go learn an R programming lesson

Progression bars!

As if I would totally forget those! Ha.

Swim (15/18)

83%
83%

Natural Movement ~ Resting Squats and Hangtime ~ (36/42)

85%
85%

Reduce Caffeine Dependence (1/36)

2%
2%

Reduce Panic ~ Through Procrastinating less! ~ Quantified by panic feelings (19/42)

45%
45%
  • Like 1

Wednesday's Swim!

300 swim

300 kick

300 drill

300 IM

5 x 50 Butterfly

5 x 50 Breaststroke

5 x 50 Backstroke

5 x 50 choice anything but free

300 Free

Total 2500 yards

Today was a bad day. I cannot put my finger on exactly when it turned bad, but it was a bad day. I had a high number of students fail their lab practical, I had to attempt to keep the incredibly unorganized lab coordinator from blowing her top on undergraduate minions, had to deal with setting up a lab I just read about the day before, had to teach that lab to two classes of non-scientists, and on and on... thank the gods for alcohol.... and coffee --- but I could have used the coffee 15 hours ago.

Tomorrow will be better, there will very likely be SCUBA diving --

-- and maybe octopuses

23ihvfm.jpg

• Like 1

Thursday -- the weather did not let me SCUBA dive

Friday -- Swam with Masters

I can't remember the full workout but I think it was about 2600 yards and sprinty

Doc appointment went well, I am healthy, but I must develop a way to avoid fiberglass shards from implanting in my arms when I clean tanks and feed fish.

Worked half day -- >.> still walked 3 miles

Rushed to P-cola because the ocean was flat and attempted an octopus hunt -- I need to do more night dives because my comfort level was not in place -- also need to find my dive lights -- my anxiety feels like it was mostly due to: rushing to get into the water to make use of the remaining light because I had no dive lights and traffic took away what should have been an hour of light down to 15 minutes -- me and trying to rush/be timed elevates my anxiety to the max. I wasn't in full panic when I got tangled in my dive flag line, but I was not a happy marine mammal.

Saturday -- attempted natural movement while at work -- there were audiobooks, podcasts, and many squats, stretches and attempted alignments today

Menu to Attempt this week

Breakfast (Swim Days)

Snack Box

Cheese Stick

Lemon Pepper Chicken Cubes

Boiled Egg

Tomatoes

Snow Peas

Banana

Breakfast (Non-Swim Days)

Englishy Brekkie

Grilled Kippers

Over easy eggs

Toast

Kale

Lunch (Hatchery Days)

Lunch on the Run

Beet Chips

Peppers

Chicken/Tuna Salad Sammich

Chicken/Tuna 

Avocado

Carrot

Goddess Dressing

Wheat Bread

Orange

Lunch (School Days)

Panera Simulacrum

Soup -- Campbell's (yes I know it is full of sodium, but I am trying to develop a habit, and taking out a cooking step seems helpful for a start)

Salad

Tuna/Chicken

Spring Mix

Tomatoes/Peppers

Carrots

Avocado

Dressing (Tuscan or Gingerly)

Kiwi

Dinner Options

Curry Potatoes

Chicken

Peppers

Onion

Sweet Potato

Collard Greens

Curry Sauce

Un-Stuffed Peppers

Cajun Spice Blend

Shrimp

Peppers

Onion

Rice

Collard Greens

Thaiish

Rice

Pad Thai Sauce

Tofu

Shrimp

Egg

Carrot

Broccoli

Pasta 

Kale

Pasta

Tomato Sauce

Chicken

Peppers

Onion

Snacks

Yogurt 

Berries

Almonds

Sunflower Seeds

Chocolate Chips

• Like 1

I had a moment of not really sure what week I am on -- luckily I have a spread sheet and my challenges, while not easy, are becoming fairly routine -- except for the caffeine dependence...

Anyway -- I have created all of my lectures for the rest of the semester! I almost wrote a song about it on Thursday -- Instead I wrote the mid-term for the non-majors :)

One less thing to be anxious about at least.

Meal Plan Saturdays

Sunday (tomorrow):

Breakfast -- Spinach and Cheese Omelet + oranges and coffee

Snack -- Almonds & Sunflower Seeds

Lunch -- Chicken Salad sandwich + vegetables and beet chips (and a banana)

Dinner -- Grab something on the way to P-cola

Monday: 

Breakfast -- Raspberry and Chocolate green smoothie -- + coffee at work

Lunch -- Chicken Salad sandwich + vegetables and beet chips (and a banana)

Dinner -- Remnants of butter chicken and naan or stir fry

Tuesday:

Breakfast -- Crepe Burritos! + oranges and coffee

Lunch -- Pumpkin Soup + Salad w/ Chicken and a kiwi

Dinner -- Crockpot Gumbo!

Wednesday:

Breakfast -- Crepe Burritos! + oranges and coffee

Lunch -- Pumpkin Soup + Salad w/ Chicken and a kiwi

Dinner -- Trivia Night @ Mellow Mushroom or Chik-a-fila or Pita Pit

Thursday:

Breakfast -- do I really want to wake up that early?

Lunch -- what ever looks good in the fridge

Dinner -- Tuna steaks, roasted sweet potato wedges, roasted asparagus -- because maybe date night?

Friday:

Breakfast -- Raspberry and Chocolate green smoothie -- + coffee at work

Lunch -- Chicken Salad sandwich + vegetables and beet chips (and a banana)

Dinner -- Leftovers or Stir Fry

Saturday:

Breakfast -- Spinach and Cheese Omelet + oranges and coffee

Lunch -- Chicken Salad sandwich + vegetables and beet chips (and a banana)

Dinner -- Shrimp of the Scampi persuasion? (or leftovers if any left)

• Like 2

Man, you sound so busy all the time! Well done on your progress though as well as getting your your uni teaching organised. Is there a plan for this next week and your coffee independence?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Man, you sound so busy all the time! Well done on your progress though as well as getting your your uni teaching organised. Is there a plan for this next week and your coffee independence?

I am aiming for no more than 2 coffees per day this week (my caffeine allowance) -- preferably made by me and not purchased elsewhere

The rest of the plan is to keep swimming and walking and incorporating other movements --

I really like implementing barefoot walking when I am at work -- I try to walk the 1/4 mile out to the fish pond for at least 1 feeding to give my feet a rest from pounding against the concrete floors in the lab. I need to see if I can make flats out of a pair of thong sandals that I have -- an attempt to banish positive heels and follow lab safety guidelines for closed toed shoes. And then see if I can make some tie up sandals out of another pair of thong sandals I have. I need to source some gorilla glue -- or other non-sweat sensitive adhesive.  When I am stuck in the lab, I work on posture exercises -- I have to wear closed toed shoes of some sort for safety reasons. My current shoe has a slightly elevated heel, but I can do a little ankle strength training in them to work towards minimal shoe wear. And since we are not allowed to sit -- not sure who came up with that rule -- I can at least improve my standing and walking posture while I pretend to look busy between feeding fish and cleaning tanks -- also not sure who decided that "looking busy" was a good idea -- Alternatively, you could create more tasks, such as data mining, literature sourcing, moving the fry that are too large for the fry tanks out to a pond, etc. for your five employees to do until egg production from the broodstock returns. But I digress.

Luckily I have always hated shoes -- so I have some calluses and my ankles are not completely out of shape despite the soft tissue trauma injury to the right one.

I have been able to lower my resting squat by 1/4 of an inch since starting to practice a couple of weeks ago -- keep lengthening muscles!

I have also taken up floor sitting -- and had my first negative reactions to sitting in chairs for more than 15 minutes this week -- so, just keep moving :D

I am also on the extreme line of attempting to sleep without a pillow -- and if I get my car's brakes replaced successfully today and my oil changed, and tweak the last few things on the midterm -- I will take a handful of stuffing out of my pillow so as to reduce its fluffiness.

I need to also rearrange my room so that I can start implementing operation sleep without a mattress -- preferably before I have to move in December  :nightmare:

And look into building a squatty potty that will not get in my roommate's way.

-- And the answer to your question is always "yes, Syren is crazy."  :onthego:

• Like 2

Change of plans -- could not get garage door to stay open, so I did get around to rearranging my room, tweaking my exam, and writing up the extra credit protocol for my bio II majors.

-- Note -- when I give you extra credit, you do a lot more work than you would just studying for exams

You will experiment

And you will write about it!

With proper engrish.

-

-

-

I am an evil mastermind

Megamind+1.png

• Like 1

Hi Syren! I just thought I'd tell you, you may get a question of two from Nerds about swimming. I used your name a few times at Camp so folks knew there was a swimming Nerd with lots of experience to chat with. Thanks in advance!   :nevreness:

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Hi Syren! I just thought I'd tell you, you may get a question of two from Nerds about swimming. I used your name a few times at Camp so folks knew there was a swimming Nerd with lots of experience to chat with. Thanks in advance!   :nevreness:

No problem, Terinatum, you know how I just [insert sarcasm]hate[/close sarcasm] sharing information with people about things that I love :P

I hope that camp is/was fun!

• Like 1

Midweek Update:

I moved my mattress to the floor -- no more box springs! I feel pretty good after the move. After the first night, I woke up a little stiff, but it went away with just a bit of light stretching and I felt ready to take on the day. I still wanted coffee, because well coffee is delicious as well as stimulating -- but I could make my lunch and breakfast with only minor begrudging shuffling as opposed to trying to bury back under the covers in an attempt to hide from the need to get up.

No stiffness getting up the past couple of days, except in my feet, and those should not be impacted by the mattress. I also have been getting up earlier than I need to, but not feeling groggy -- this could be minutely stress induced, though not feeling groggy is new even when early rising ensues due to slight anxiety about getting everything done. 

The only problem I seem to have right now is that my arms fall asleep depending on my sleep position. This wakes me up but I just move and am able to fall right back to sleep -- which is unusual for me. 

Thinking about challenges for the future:

Eating more seafood -- because it is tasty and pretty quick to make -- freshness and storage is somewhat difficult -- sometimes pricey

Figuring out how to get iced tea at work so I do not attack the soda machine for Mountain Dew.

Get off the floor without using my hands

Get off the floor without using my knees

Find a tree(s) to hang on and climb

Barefoot walk more often

Find flats that fit properly without squishing toes and rubbing heel raw -- I hate shoes but have to wear them for work

• Like 1