Kilyra is Striving for Stability

Kilyra

Back Story: The biggest change I'm pushing for is no change at all. Sounds a little odd, I agree, but let me explain. For most of my life, I've been overweight. I grew up a tad on the larger side, and lost a ton of weight in highschool. I managed to maintain that for about two years before I went through some bad times and gained it all back with good 'ol stress eating. For all the years following, my life has been a struggle to get to a healthy weight and stay there. Time after time, I'd pour months and months of effort into getting healthy, only to gain it all back again, and then some. Finally, a year and a half ago, I realized I was at my heaviest – 224 lbs. I had enough. I partnered up with a professional who was focused mostly on my nutrition. We worked through figuring some surprising food sensitivities (nuts and dairy are the big ones) and, through strict eating, I made my way down to 137 lbs. I am coming off the strict food plan and now jumping onto the challenge of maintaining this loss on my own – which is the part I've failed at repeatedly. Truly, I feel that I've got a long way to go still, and my biggest success will be to see no change right now.

Main Quest: I need to discover a new balance with food and fitness so I can maintain my new weight. To do this, I need to form new, healthy habits. I don't want to jump into an intense workout regime with equally intense food demands like I have in the past. I want a gentler path that I can turn into constant habits. So...

Goal 1: Use my new nutrition knowledge to forge a healthy relationship with my food. I don't want eating a candy bar to make me feel like a failure – I must move beyond the all-or-nothing mentality. I will weigh in each week, with the goal being to stay within a 5lbs range of 137lbs.
Point System – I will have 6 possible points in total, and for each week I'm out of range, I will lose a point.

Goal 2: Do a physical activity at least 3x a week. It will be primarily aquafit or a 30+ min walk.
Point System – I will have 18 points total, and each week I come in under 3 workouts, I will lose a point for each workout I'm short.

Goal 3: Eat supper at home at least 4x a week. One of my downfalls is stopping and grabbing food on my way home from work. If I can keep it to 3x or less, it's better for my waistline and wallet!
Point System – I will have 6 points in total, and each week I eat out more than 3x, I lose a point.

Life Goal: Sit and write at least 2x a week. I claim to be a writer, but haven't sat down with any of my stories for a couple months now. Granted, summer was busy and I had other priorities, but I desperately want to get back to making this a priority in my life.
Point System – I will have 12 points total, and each week I come in under two sessions, I will lose a point for each writing session I'm short.

Motivation: I want the chance to get comfortable with the new me. I enjoy how I feel and look right now, and it bothers me to think of losing this/gaining back all my weight. It's very important to me to get off the yo-yo routine and move forward with a new, healthy lifestyle.

So folks, there you have it – Kilyra's Strive for Stability. I haven't assigned attribute points just yet, but I do want to participate in that side of it too, so that will come shortly!

Looking forward to doing this and getting to know my fellow challengers!

• Like 3

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

Good luck Kilyra! I can really tell by the way you've written out your plan that you are going to rock this challenge by sticking to it! Sustainability is a huge deal because its all about forming habits and really good ones to boot. You got this  :victorious:

• Like 1

"You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be."

Race: Hybrid Elemental Dragon Spirit || Class: Recruit following the Monks around

Attributes:  0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 WIS | 0 CHA | 0 CON

Track my first challenge here

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Suck it up and SHINE: Perfect my Morning Ritual daily

7%
7%

Become a Strong Lady Ninja 5-6 days/week

40%
40%

Become a Flexible and Agile Lady Ninja 2-3 days/week

36%
36%

Eat Real Food, 90-110g protein/day

41%
41%

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to checking in on everyone else's challenge too! We're gonna nail this :)

I bought myself an agenda to carry around with me, and a multi coloured pen so I can jot down each day I tackle something from my goal list. I know, totally over nerding here, but sometimes I get pretty frazzled and trying to remember things doesn't work out so well. I think it's going to be a good tool to help with accountability too. 

So excited!

• Like 2

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to checking in on everyone else's challenge too! We're gonna nail this :)

I bought myself an agenda to carry around with me, and a multi coloured pen so I can jot down each day I tackle something from my goal list. I know, totally over nerding here, but sometimes I get pretty frazzled and trying to remember things doesn't work out so well. I think it's going to be a good tool to help with accountability too.

So excited!

There is never too much nerding! Charts are great tools :) I made a 6 week chart and each one I succeed at I use green highlight and each one I fail at I use pink....

I don't hate pink but I like green more... Lol

• Like 1

Race: Hybrid Elemental Dragon Spirit || Class: Recruit following the Monks around

7%
7%

40%
40%

36%
36%

41%
41%

So far so good. I'm trying to not get hung up on little weight changes because I know I'm ultimately hovering around the 137 mark. But hopping on the scale is still a heart-in-throat moment. Maybe once I'm here for a few months, I can relax.

Fitting fitness into my routine has been great though! Nothing strenuous yet, but adding it in as a priority and building the habit of doing the thing is going well, so yay! :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

So far so good. I'm trying to not get hung up on little weight changes because I know I'm ultimately hovering around the 137 mark. But hopping on the scale is still a heart-in-throat moment. Maybe once I'm here for a few months, I can relax.

Fitting fitness into my routine has been great though! Nothing strenuous yet, but adding it in as a priority and building the habit of doing the thing is going well, so yay! :)

Maybe it would be better to simply track it at the end of each week, instead of on a daily basis? It would take some of the pressure off you, and would give your body more time to ebb and flow, without you stressing about each fluctuation.

Your goals sound perfect for what you're trying to accomplish - good luck!

• Like 1

Something else that may help is to try to stay in size range of a favorite pair of jeans that currently fit you perfectly....

I don't use a scale so If mine start feeling too tight, I know I gotta make some adjustments to keep from getting out of range.... that's helped me a lot this year and now I can kinda predict the mornings when they will feel too tight (aka when "all you can eat wing night" happens right after friend's bday party and well....30 wings + cake 2 days later and my jeans won't shut up guilting me about it......like I tell them to stop making fun of me: "zip your lip and button up!" and they say, "no, we like... really can't zip it.") :surprise: :surprise:  "Fine then Jeans, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED...." :bull_head: 

• Like 1

7%
7%

40%
40%

36%
36%

41%
41%

Something else that may help is to try to stay in size range of a favorite pair of jeans that currently fit you perfectly....

That can work very well. I bought a fairly expensive suit last year, when I was match fit. The pants got a little bit tighter this year, and reminded me that I was letting my habits slide. :)

• Like 1

Level 4 Human Assassin/Monk
Str 11 | Dex 10 | Sta 2 | Con 6 | Wis 8 | Cha 4
Intro - Challenges: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Thanks guys, I think you're all more on the right track about measuring my weight/size. 

I worry about just using clothes and the mirror because I'm stunningly good at not seeing an issue. Most of my clothes stretch with me and I don't have a petite frame, so I don't tend to notice a few extra pounds. By the time I notice, it's a huge issue (err....pun intended? haha). 

For now though, with this challenge, maybe I can start by just doing the weekly weigh in and go from there :) If I stay stable long enough, maybe I can start trusting the system enough to cut that down even further!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Of COURSE I'm getting sick. I tried to deny it - my nose isn't runny from a cold, it's because I'm chilly. My eyes aren't gunking up from a cold, it's because I had something under both contacts all day. I'm not getting totally exhausted, I'm just trying to do too much. (sigh)

Explains why the scale was all over the place too, I'm retaining water like crazy, but at least it's not from the food I'm eating which is mostly meat and veggies (which lead to me being super confused why the scale bounced since I wasn't eating poorly).

Alrighty. Scale is going away, and I may end up losing some points in my challenge.

(shakes fist) (grumble, grumble)

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Of COURSE I'm getting sick. I tried to deny it - my nose isn't runny from a cold, it's because I'm chilly. My eyes aren't gunking up from a cold, it's because I had something under both contacts all day. I'm not getting totally exhausted, I'm just trying to do too much. (sigh)

Explains why the scale was all over the place too, I'm retaining water like crazy, but at least it's not from the food I'm eating which is mostly meat and veggies (which lead to me being super confused why the scale bounced since I wasn't eating poorly).

Alrighty. Scale is going away, and I may end up losing some points in my challenge.

(shakes fist) (grumble, grumble)

Oof, getting sick blows. :( Hope you get well soon, and take good care of yourself in the meantime. :positive:

If you're anything like me, it might be good to remember that all is not lost just because this happened. Even if you lose some points, you know there's a good reason for that, and it doesn't change the fact that you're on a quest full of greatness!

• Like 1

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Heeeey, I just noticed I got tagged! :D

Thanks Ellis_e. You are right, it's not an all or nothing situation. If being sick costs me a couple points, it's a couple points. That's life. I'm feeling a bit better thankfully. Funny what staying home instead of going to work will do for you haha

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Get well soon. If you are feeling all right, you can go for a walk and see, how you body reacts. Your goals says three exercises a week, so light exercise is totally fine when you are ill. And when it's really bad just stay in bad and focus on your eating habits.

Getting ill during a challenge can be really decouraging and than you have to find a way around it. Good luck, I wish you well. :)

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Mini challenge! I just copied and pasted the whole thing and answered here so I have it in one spot :)

Week 1 - Let's Get SMART

So you've set up your challenge and people have popped in and said hi, given you some advise on your goals and just generally cheered you on for the start of your challenge. There's so much information to go that sometimes it seems like you're being overwhelmed. How do I allocate attribute points? Which guild do I join? What should my workout look like? Can I join an Accountability Squad?

You don't need to worry about these things right now. What you do need to worry is your challenge. For this first week you should be focusing on your own quests. Once you're comfortable with them you can move onto other questions. Your mini quest this week will to really really look at your goals and make sure that they're SMART. 

= Specific
= Measurable
= Attainable/Achievable
= Realistic/Reasonable
= Timeous

Goal 1: It's specific (stay within 5 lbs of 137lbs), Measurable (hello scale!), Attainable (I have been doing it so far), Realistic (Again, I have been doing it so far), Timeous...sort of. This will be a never ending goal in a way, so it fits into all sorts of time frames haha

Goal 2: It's specific (Do a physical activity 3x a week), Measurable (Track my attendance in my day planner), Attainable (I have a membership for the pool by my house), Realistic (both me and my hubs are doing this one together. I think 3x a week is very realistic), Timeous - it's a new routine I'm building and fits into the 6 week time frame for sure.

Goal 3: It's specific (Eat supper at home at least 4x a week), Measurable (Track it in my day planner), Attainable (No one is forcing me to eat out!), Reasonable (sucks saying no to meeting up with everyone sometimes, but I'm responsible for me and my choices), Timeous - This is achievable immediately and a new routine I'm building.

Goal 4: it's specific (write 2x a week). Measurable (track it in my day planner), Attainable (I have my laptop and my printed copy of my work to edit at any point), Realistic (making myself sit down and do it is surprisingly hard, but it's still realstic to expect 2x a week), Timeous - again, it's a routine I want to cement, so it's fine for the time frame. 

And for kicks, on to the questions: 

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)? Is it reasonable?

Absolutely. I may find my body might want to settle in around the 140 mark though, rather than my initial 137, but if that's the case, I will listen. My goal is to be healthy to maintain this loss, not to be focused on numbers that I forget about the “be healthy†part!

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

I kept my three goals small because I want to build a new norm around these habits, so I didn't want to put in anything extreme.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

I think maintaining my current weight is realistic. I may have to relax on how rigid I am with the scale, but I do know that a scale will have a place in my life from here on in.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked? What will you use to track them?

Yes. I made sure I built them around their measurability. I will use various methods – one is weight based (so my scale), the others are based on how often I do or don't do something. I am writing everything down in a day planner!

5. How are you grading your goals? Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)? Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

My goals are point graded. I don't have any that are as simple as pass or fail because every effort matters. If I only make it to the gym twice in a week, I'll lose a point for the one I missed but I still get points for the two I did. I don't have a specific reward, other than the number of stat points I'll accrue this round :)

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

Because my goals aren't strictly pass or fail, I will do what I can no matter what comes my way and the points will fall where they will. I will not fail the challenge because of an illness or injury, I just might not get full points.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge? What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

I did take special occasions into account. In fact, I will be going on a trip from Oct 6-16 back home. I will try my hardest to still get in 3 workouts, even if it's long walks in the neighbourhood I'm staying. My eating out minimum might be shot, but I still want to stay within my weight. I was kind of happy the trip fell during this challenge because an out of town trip can't be an excuse for me to throw everything to the wind.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

The only goal that can be challenging is my life goal – hitting the gym in the evening is a good excuse for me to not get around to writing later. They don't conflict with each other though, and that's something I want to prove to myself.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set? If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

I do have the time in my schedule. I am done work at 3 each day and have weekend off, so I have plenty of time!

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

I am trying to build multiple habits. Changing how I eat has already been a focus in my life, and now I want to add in physical activity.

Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.

For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks. 

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

So, despite being sick, week 1 has actually been a full success. Went to the gym this morning to finish off my 3x of physical activity this week. I weighed in at 137.4 this morning, so I'm right on point there. The only time I ate out this week was lunch yesterday. My writing sessions weren't nearly as long as I wanted, but the fact is, I did work on one of my chapters three different times this week, which is more than I have in a month or so.

For week 2, I'd like to have longer writing sessions and really focus on my story for a bit, but I'll be happy if I can pull off another week like this :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

It's rubbish getting sick just as the challenge was starting. I hope you're feeling better. Congrats on the success of week 1, even though you were ill. :)

I can totally understand the writing thing, and well done on working on your chapter several times during the week. I have to write too for work, but I never seem to get round to it - there's always something else that seems to need to be done first. But it's amazing how much one can get done (not always, mind) if writing sessions are actually scheduled in. Otherwise it just sits there.

I found a website that recommends setting aside time to write every day for 60-90 mins a stint and no more, taking frequent breaks, but doing nothing but writing in those 90 mins. Apparently, it's better than trying to write for hours and hours at a time. I've never been able to do it, always going for nothing for ages and ages and then binge writing when there's a looming deadline. But loads of people swear by it. Here's the link, if you're interested (it's for writing in academia, but apparently it's the same for creative writing):

http://www.academiccoachingandwriting.org/academic-writing/academic-writing-blog/iii-overcome-procrastination

There was another site but I can't find it now.

• Like 1

Pumpkin Pi: Level 1 Night Elfling (respawned September 2019)

0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 CON | 0 WIS | 0 CHA

Challenges: Respawn: Current (16 Sep-20 Oct 2019) | Original: 2nd (2 Nov-14 Dec 2015), 1st (14 Sep-25 Oct 2015)

It's rubbish getting sick just as the challenge was starting. I hope you're feeling better. Congrats on the success of week 1, even though you were ill. :)

I can totally understand the writing thing, and well done on working on your chapter several times during the week. I have to write too for work, but I never seem to get round to it - there's always something else that seems to need to be done first. But it's amazing how much one can get done (not always, mind) if writing sessions are actually scheduled in. Otherwise it just sits there.

I found a website that recommends setting aside time to write every day for 60-90 mins a stint and no more, taking frequent breaks, but doing nothing but writing in those 90 mins. Apparently, it's better than trying to write for hours and hours at a time. I've never been able to do it, always going for nothing for ages and ages and then binge writing when there's a looming deadline. But loads of people swear by it. Here's the link, if you're interested (it's for writing in academia, but apparently it's the same for creative writing):

http://www.academiccoachingandwriting.org/academic-writing/academic-writing-blog/iii-overcome-procrastination

There was another site but I can't find it now.

Thanks for the article, it was really helpful actually. I think the idea of scheduling in time is smart. I mean, adding in my fitness classes wasn't a bit deal, but they're scheduled so I make the rest of my day up around it. If the same thing is applied to a scheduled writing block, it could have the same impact.

I do better with deadlines, like you say. When the pressure is on, suddenly *poof* the writing is done and I wonder what was so hard about sitting down and doing it earlier. I think, maybe along with scheduled times, having deadlines for smaller writing goals might help too.

Thanks again for the ideas :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Wow, this is really inspiring. You weren't kidding with the whole similar background thing. My best wishes to you and I'm gonna follow if that is okay. :)

I really like how you are going about it too. Great attitude. Learning how to eat, seems trivial but as we both know, effects EVERYTHING. Hurray you!

-waves pompoms- You've got yourself a cheerleader c: ♡♡♡

• Like 1

Doll | Gargoyle | Ranger | lvl 7th
STR 17, STA 8, CON 14, DEX 2, CHA 7, WIS 4
1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | Current | B L

Main Storyline: Drop 55lbs 06/55lbs

10.9%
4.4%

Wow, this is really inspiring. You weren't kidding with the whole similar background thing. My best wishes to you and I'm gonna follow if that is okay. :)

I really like how you are going about it too. Great attitude. Learning how to eat, seems trivial but as we both know, effects EVERYTHING. Hurray you!

-waves pompoms- You've got yourself a cheerleader c: ♡♡♡

Heck yeah it's ok! :) Yep, when I saw your post, I was floored at the similarities. Glad you found your way here, it's a really great group of supportive people! Also, feel free to PM me if you ever want - there's some stuff that isn't so comfortable to talk about in public.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%

Heck yeah it's ok! :) Yep, when I saw your post, I was floored at the similarities. Glad you found your way here, it's a really great group of supportive people! Also, feel free to PM me if you ever want - there's some stuff that isn't so comfortable to talk about in public.

Thank you, I will! I'm a pretty open person but yeah, sometimes a PM is a more suitable location. ♡ Glad we stumbled upon each other ♡
  • Like 1

Doll | Gargoyle | Ranger | lvl 7th
STR 17, STA 8, CON 14, DEX 2, CHA 7, WIS 4
1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | Current | B L

Main Storyline: Drop 55lbs 06/55lbs

10.9%
4.4%

Still sick! (Shakes fist)

But, I ended up staying home today and slept for about 14 hours. Eventually, I actually felt pretty good and did both a long writing session and my first aquafit class. Bam! Take that challenge :)

Wasn't totally thrilled with aquafit though - I thought there'd be weights or something to add a bit of a challenge. I'll give it a few more goes, but I might have to buy some wrist weights or something. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

50%
50%

50%
50%

25%
25%