noxiousGnome putting a challenge here

noxiousGnome

This challenge is going to be much like my last challenge with a small bit of structure.

1) I need to get back into tracking my food intake -- I been lazy about it for a long time and it needs to stop

2) Continue going to the gym every other day, as long as body wants to go and I am still in Reston, VA -- This I picked up my 2nd or 3rd week here mainly cause I tried going for a jog one Saturday and the humidity about killed me... More on that though next.

3) Supposedly one gets use to humidity after a few weeks (I been here for a little over a month now) and I still am not ready to jog in this crap. I hate the evil evil dreadmill and therefore haven't jogged... This is entirely not scoutish enough. -- Go for small jogs, even if it is a few minutes around the complex, up the streeet, however long I can jog for...

Yeah that's it... Tomorrow (9/14) also starts the last week of actual training... So there is that... Hopefully I land a job real quick and in a hurry.

Gnomish Superhero-In-Training S3|D3|S1|C3|W4.75|CH3

Gnomish Trials and Tribulations

1|2(a)|3|4
Gnomes Have Epic Quests Too! This gets updated as things get finished or I add more =D

Friday (Yesterday by about 15 minutes ago) was my last day of official training... I have to finish up a few things by Monday which is okay cause i am nearly done. Today I go to the office to help others out and also help myself. yay. Monday I gotta turn it in plus a rewrite of my summary about myself for my profile thinger at work. -sighs- A long weekend ahead.

I was gonna go to the gym Thursday (which was gym day for me) but my wrist wasn't feeling up to par... Friday was the same way... Maybe later today or Sunday I will go... Depending on how I feel... So far it looks rocky. I not entirely sure what happened but I think it involves poor hand placement/grip on the bar with a total of 100# (including bar) and doing squats... Needless to say I wasn't pleased with myself. My wrist is still pretty sore but doing okay.

1|2(a)|3|4
Gnomes Have Epic Quests Too! This gets updated as things get finished or I add more =D

Saturday I spent most of the day working on my project.. Still getting uber pissed on the AJAX refresh call. -sighs- I haven't been to the gym since tuesday due to my wrist. when I type it feels okay. but when I turn it to the outside of it (it's my left wrist so when I turn it towards the left) it aches. I am not sure what causes it but when I wake up it really aches... Sucks to cause I haven't beento the gym since then. Afraid to injury myself worst...

I been working on my portfolio project... it has been a pain in my ass with the AJAX refresh call I need to implement. I spent from about 1400 to 1800 helping a fellow coworker understand MVC and complete his project with plans to contact him Sunday asking how everything is going (I am nice that way). Heh...

However, since about.... 2200? I have had a bit more booze than I expected... I finished off my tequila.. About a sixth of a bottle I would say ... A bottle of Strongbow's Ginger Cider, and a bottle of Post Road Pumpkin Ale... Needless to say... If this post is all screwy I blame that... LOL It is also 0015... heh. Not feeling tired, loopy, but not tired... heh... Depending on how I feel later i might go to the gym... I do sorely miss my deadlifts already (that was suppose to be my Thursday workout..)

1|2(a)|3|4

My life came to a crashing mess last night... I am just going to post this:

My wife and I have been trying to have a second child for over a year and I found out early August (while I was meeting some nerds in the DC area) that she was pregnant with our second child.... But things weren't going well for her from the get go, complication after complication. Last night she had an ultrasound and was given bad news. She is in NY so she called me as soon as she was done with the appointment on her way to her dad's to pick up our daughter. I broke down when she told me. I am still not sure how to register that I will never get to see, hear, or get to know my second child in any fashion.

My father in law called my wife during appointment, but of course she couldn't answer the phone as she was preocuppied with being told life shattering news. When she finally gathered enough wits to call and find out what was going on at her dad's the news struck even harder... Our daughter started crying at the same time my wife was told the news of our unborn child.

1|2(a)|3|4

Gnome, I'm so sorry for your loss. So very sorry.

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

NGnome. I am so crushed. I am thinking of you and your wife and daughter and I hope there comes a time when bearing the loss is not so devastating. But for now, cry, my friend, be angry, be sad. Do what you have to do. Your family and friends will see you through this tragedy. My heart goes out to your wife.

Grieve with all your heart, my friend.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I have fallen off all the wagons the last few weeks. Partly my own doing, partly because of life throwing crap at me, and partly because I lost my gym card and now i gotta get a  new one monday... Life sucks in those moments.

Well, on other news: Wife seems to be dealing better with everything (well better than she was at first? I think...) I am doing well enough with that situation, but my last mock interview was no good. I lack confidence during interviews... Mostly I hate that first question one always gets asked 'Tell me about yourself'... That's not even a real question -.- I hate that question cause it always derails me.

• Like 1

1|2(a)|3|4

You'll get it back together, Gnome.  We all fall down sometimes.

If you want help with the interview thing, feel free to ping me on IRC.

"What's the goal here?  What's the lesson here?  What's the best use of my time right now?" <-- Rory Miller's "three sacred questions"

"Lacking in humility?  Don't worry, the bar will give you some." <-- Me.

HedgeMage, Orc Ranger

Battle Log | IRL Info

Hey NGnome.

I'm glad your second interview went better. And it's nice to know, your wife is recovering even a bit. You are too?

The 'about yourself' question pisses me off. I mean, I don't want my potential boss to know anything about me outside the realm of work at first. I don't know if they're trustworthy anymore than they know of my trust worthiness. But you don't hear me saying, 'Hey George/ette, how's life for you outside of work?'

I think the question is used to find out how malleable we are to their needs, making us feel like we need give more of ourselves than they do, and,  I think, it tells them how much they can bend us into doing more than we should, without complaint and feeling scared not to do it in fear of retaliation. It sucks, but we won't likely get a job at that place if we didn't give them something. So I suppose it's a matter of listing things about ourselves that we wouldn't mind telling a stranger and then in that list somewhere, picking a few that we would tell our potential boss. I just hate that they feel entitled to information about us that isn't relevant to the job.

Don't mean to be negative, I just think it's something to think about before telling them anything about yourself.

I hope this finds you happier.

Teri

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

what i learned is that question is in terms of why ya went to this field. ie- i became a developer to learn and eventually try to get into the prosthetics development. i wanted to know what makes the machine behave when the user makes it work.

i am doing better, i am seeing my wife this upcoming week.

• Like 1

1|2(a)|3|4

if anyone was curious, the reason for me returning home this week was cause my wife needed to get a dnc, it went good, beyond pain She its doing good, Izzy is also sick... can't win lol. i got an interview over the phone at 10am today. joy

1|2(a)|3|4

i haven't been paying much attention to nerds and such lately so let me give y'all a rundown:

i left my family aug 6th for training to get a new job. during that time i find out my wife was pregnant (later miscarried:(), hung out with nerds at the beach. went and had Ramen with coworkers in dc, finished training getting placed on "market", returned home to help wife through surgery involving miscarriage plus with stuff around the house.

during my time in va i picked up weights:)

1|2(a)|3|4