Raptron in the Mossflower Woods

Woo, thanks!

Day 6.3

Rest day. zZz.

Pull-ups: 1/3 
Jumps: 0/2
Handstands: 1/3 
Adulting points: 14 [+2 PT, +1 self-care, +3 cleaning]

Also, cool concept introduced at the gym Savage Games is at: https://instagram.com/p/7qs_dAP36b/?taken-by=bkbsomerville

It's projected but also can tell when you've hit it I think, so it can spit out your time. Use whatever holds you want but you have to hit the dots in the right order. I think there are a few different configurations. :D

• Like 1

Haha, your thread's a great advert for the NF camps, showing the rest of us how much fun things go on in them!

For the occasional food binges, have you tried not having unhealthy things in your house? Makes it much easier to eat heathily when there are no oreos or other junk available.

Good to come back and see you still doing well :)

Turns out that the projection IS interactive and can tell when you've hit it (though it will interpret your head/shoulder/elbow crossing the light to also be hitting it). Very very cool. 

Day 6.4

Wound up not going to gymnastics for various Reasons. Pull-ups done but very poorly + jumps at home because I wanted to try out those knees to feet jumps. They're fun. :)

Pull-ups: 2/3 
Jumps: 1/2
Handstands: 1/3 
Adulting points19 [+1 PT, +2 self-care, + 3 cleaning]

Day 6.5

Rush, rush, rush day. Some of my coworkers are interested in the cardio/strength circuit class now so I went again with them, partially because I missed NP stairs for some cardio and partially because yay working out during the middle of the day. Circuit was very similar to last time:

2 x 90-second rounds of 3 stations: ball passing v-ups, DB curls, and weighted side lunges

4 minute tabata of burpees

2 x 90-second rounds of 3 stations: planks, DB rows, and weighted reverse lunges

4 minute tabata of high knees jogging

2 x 90-second rounds of 3 stations: ball sit-ups, push-ups, and weighted glute bridges

When working core, legs, and arms equally... my arms go out much faster than the others. Whoooo knew? *eyeroll* But anyway, the circuit class gets me good and sweaty and is in the middle of the day when I'd normally just be working. I may continue to attend because of those reasons and because I JUST talked about doing more cardio to prep for competition season, so I might as well put my body where my mouth is. 

Then, idk, I felt bad about having two rest days in a row or something and needed to kill time before dinner reservations so I went back to the gym after work.

Bulgarian split squats: 3 x 5 x 40# DBs

Overhead bar raises: 3 x 10 x 25# bar

Seated lateral raises: 3 x 8 x 12.5# DBs

KB curtsy lunge: 3 x 12 x 40# KB in arms

15 minutes of handstand practice + PT exercises. 

Pull-ups: 2/3 
Jumps: 1/2
Handstands: 2/3 
Adulting points: 22 [+1 PT, +2 cleaning]

Day 6.6
SAVAGE GAMES. 20 stations, teams of 5, and 4 minutes per station.

I'll write them all out just because it helps me remember so I can give feedback and because, I don't know, maybe it's interesting. So we started with the interactive rock climbing puzzle from the instagram video above, then agility tires, spear throw, vertical rock climbing on auto-belay, static yoga chair pose holds, PEG BOARD, bear crawls balancing a power bar on your back or neck, 2 rounds at the climbing wall traverse capture the flag complete with nerf guns you could use to shoot the opposing team if you were on the wall, slack line catch, rope to hanging boards to rope, vaulting parkour station, swinging parkour station, balance rails parkour station, floor is lava parkour station, teamwork parkour station, giant tire-as-a-sled pushes, cargo net traverse, rope climb, and hands to feet ball passing down the team and back. 

Boom, 20. Loved the climbing games (interactive projection + the team versus team race to capture the flag) and the parkour stations as usual. There was only one "get your whole team to x without screwing up or start over" station, which is good because those ones are more frustrating than fruitful in terms of getting in a good work out. Peg board! Man, that was way harder than I was expecting. We didn't have very long to play with it, but going sideways was pretty easy + therefore didn't get you any points. I managed to get up one set of holes higher but in general, any time I picked up the peg, my shoulder tension collapsed and I would drop down instead of staying up. Tricky business! I can't way to get to play with it again. 

Then I went to practice. I did full-body exhaustion front tumbling as practice for routines. Then moved to balance beam to finish out practice. It wasn't amazing but it was more productive than you'd expect after a full 2-hour workout prior to even coming into the gym. Rushed about to do some errands then went up to NH for a housewarming party. 

Pull-ups: 3/3 
Jumps: 2/2
Handstands: 2/3 
Adulting points26 [+1 PT, +2 self-care, +1 cleaning]

Day 6.7
We had planned to do an NF hike but there was some rain in the forecast so pretty much everyone lost interest and I took that as a cue to drink my face off on Saturday night into the wee hours of Sunday morning now that I wouldn't have to get up at 7 AM to get out to hike. Had a beautiful, beautiful day of complete LAZINESS after 2 very chock-full days. 

With the 24-hour gaming marathon coming up, I figured I better reactivate those gaming muscle memory pathways, so I played some Guacamelee and Destiny while Hubston finally installed my new SSD and wiped my computer. I've barely touched Destiny (seriously, I'm like level 9) so if any of you guys have the PS4 version and want to play together, let me knoooow. 

Hit my last handstand practice session on very, very tired arms from Friday + Saturday. 

Pull-ups: 3/3 
Jumps: 2/2
Handstands: 3/3 
Adulting points: 30 [+2 cleaning, +1 PT, +1 self-care]

Challenge Summary

Stoat_Anamatic.jpg

GOAL ONE: BADGER STRONG

*Pull-up work 3x per week, following the twenty pull-ups program

17/18 pull-up workouts complete 

94%

GENERALLY SPEAKING, I put in the 3x a week program for these, but toward the end of the challenge, I don't think I prioritized doing it on fresher arms and was more willing to accept that sometimes my pull-up wasn't going to go up. I lost some tenacity and didn't gain any new reps. I've squeezed out a 3 pull-up set again, but it was a huge struggle and involved some kicking, so it doesn't even count in terms of the PVP I set up for this. May need to try a different format in the future to improve my pull-up range. I think more daily, grease-the-groove work would help at this current place in my pull-up progress.

GOAL TWO: JUMP LIKE A HARE

*Explosive jump work in at least 5 sets, 2x per week, including a mix of vertical and distance in each workout

9/12 jump workouts complete

75%

I kind of fumbled this goal. It wasn't clear enough in terms of what I needed to do and I didn't establish a clear baseline to try to improve or see changes in, so I felt like there was no measurable progress here.

GOAL THREE: SQUIRREL TREETOP BALANCE

*Static handstand practice for 10 minutes, 3x per week OUTSIDE of gymnastics practice.

17/18 handstand workouts complete

94%

I definitely saw improvement in my handstand holds over the course of this challenge and I will absolutely attribute that to getting in more static handstand work at home and at the non-gymnastics gym.

GOAL FOUR: TAKING CARE OF THE HOME FRONT

*Clean abbey, clean mind: Cleaning things gives 1 point

*Self guard duty: Some kind of self-care gives 1 point 

*Nursemice: Making doctor or PT appointments for myself gives 1 point 

*Don't raid the larders: Mindful eating day gives 1 point 

SCORING -- Anything higher than 180 is going to be an excellent score. Between 160-180, good. Between 140-160, okay. Below 140, blah. 

169 total points = good

90%

Had fun with the point system again this time. Adding in doing my PT exercises as part of my self-care points made it a bit easier to pad it out, but that is okay. It gave me a bit more incentive to take care of various things around the house. I may keep the points for cleaning or settle on something else because while I'm starting to build a better habit of tidying, it's not very strong yet and needs more external encouragement. 

Overall Challenge Score: 88% = B+

I saw some handstand improvements, established better tidying habits, had good dedication to PT exercises, and while I didn't improve my pull-ups, I learned a bit more about what I may need to do to approach them in the future. I am still bummed not to be lifting heavy weights via barbell, but I'm working to re-establish a gym habit sans barbells for now. Also, I was getting pretty close to dropping under 140# again in recent weeks, which is where I'd like to be for this upcoming competition season. I've been eating a bit like an asshole, but I think with some buckling down over the next challenge, I can get there without too much stress or drama.

So next challenge, look out for Catch 'Em All yoga handbalancing/forearm balancing poses, end of motion control drills for gymnastics, improving my all-arounder gymnastics status aka forcing myself to vault more often, and eating less like an asshole, part IV. :)

• Like 2

Goodness, it makes me tired just hearing about your adventures. So much ass was kicked this week. And the whole challenge! I think you did great. You know I'm up for Part IV!

Haha, thanks!

Sidenote: The gym always posts pictures from the event and it's  been like a running gag that they never get our team doing work. This time, we're just stretching/standing around in all the pictures of this. They even got us literally sitting down.

dd4e419eecc21e82a664d6d21b3364a7.png

I SAY I was at a 2-hour, ass-kicking workout but photographic evidence suggests I sat on my ass the whole time. 

But it's cool because my back looks hella good.  :victorious:

• Like 6

Every time you recap a Savage Games, I end up feeling both super excited for you and totally jealous that I can't be there doing it too.  It just sounds incredible,  even if all you do there is sit around looking fabulous.  ;)

And I'm totally jumping on board and stealing any new arm balances you find.  Gotta Catch 'Em All!

• Like 1

The savage games sound really cool. I kind of want to try the peg board too, they've put one up in the climbing gym just the other week!

Oh and I also want to play cath 'em all! :D 

• Like 1

Every time I read your thread it reminds me I can do even more things if I organise it properly. Seriously, you do more stuff in a week than most people do in a month! And well done for actually following all of your challenge :)

Really enjoyed your challenge, as always! :) Sorry you didn't get the pull-up progress you were looking for, but you know.. Never give up! Plans for the next one are exciiiiting, I'm looking forward to it.

Every time you recap a Savage Games, I end up feeling both super excited for you and totally jealous that I can't be there doing it too.  It just sounds incredible,  even if all you do there is sit around looking fabulous.   ;)

^This!

• Like 1