• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron in the Mossflower Woods

Hello, hello. Welcome and come enjoy some peach and elderberry brandy, a piece of cheddar from the wheel so large that even four badgers couldn't roll it, candied chestnuts, and some turnips... I think I may have discovered where my love of food and feasts came from.

So far, from this challenge, I've gathered is that pull-up madness is a highly contagious disease. :D Awesome. 

Anyway... WEEKEND UPDATE PRE-CHALLENGE EDITION:

Friday, I did not gym, which was a good choice as stadium + gymnastics practice after two weeks of rest had pretty much wiped me out. We went for my friend's birthday and maybe, possibly, didn't get home until 3:30 AM. This was quickly revealed to be a Not Great Idea when my alarm went off at 7:00 AM for Savage Games at 7:30. For the uninitiated, this is a sampler video:

I was definitely still drunk when I got there. This month's was 20 stations with 3.5 minutes at each station and 1.5 minutes of transition time. It included 5 parkour-ish stations then an onslaught of 5 really upper body intense stations in a row: tire pulley pulls, group pulling a big tire full of sandbags, vertical rock climbing wall, cargo net traverse, and then a rope climb. My hands died -- no really, rips on three fingers! Then, we did the new circular quad-step from this season's ANW, swinging rings, piggyback/buddy carry runs, bear crawl BACKWARDS up the stairs (sounds easy... totally NOT easy), static bar hangs for time, climbing wall traverse, slack line, pushing a car back and forth in the parking lot, hanging boards, and unfortunately, AGAIN, our very last event was the salmon ladder. My hands were toast and I could barely even get them around the bar, so my attempts were pitiful at best. As 3/4 of my team had been out drinking late the night before, our performance was... lack-luster. The cottonmouth situation was out of control. At least I looked slightly agile?

5bad6447d00d22022f97cdc40d4461c7.png

Then I went to morning gymnastics practice -- aka sitting in pancake stretch for 90 minutes, willing my body to obey -- and I walked the 4 miles home to get some fresh air and try to enjoy the nice day.

However, shortly after my thoughts went from  "...hmm, I hope I'm not getting sick. My throat is a bit itchy. I bet it's just from the party..." to "shit, I am definitely sick." I completely lost my voice and my throat was rawer than tartare. I still went to my other friends' joint birthday party, probably against better judgement or the wishes of those actually attending the party, as I still felt mostly fine, other than the voice.

Woke up on Sunday morning feeling like death and subsequently spent all of Sunday + Monday either sleeping, moping around the house, or playing Diablo, which brings us to today, where I am still sick but at least functional and at work. I am downing water and tea like it's my job and trying hard not to cough on people. I believe I am well enough to get a strength workout tonight at the gym. Cardio at the stadium tomorrow morning would be hard, but maybe I could do a handful of sections and then spend the rest of the time on the injury deck doing bodyweight work? I am on the fence as to whether that would be worth it.

Pull-ups: 0/3

Jumps: 0/2

Handstands: 0/3

Adulting points: 1 (I did the dishes yesterday while home sick)

• Like 2

I would die so hard at SG stone cold sober. Drunk/hungover....bring a mop. 

And I say that haven'ting never actually been drunk, so...yeah.

Sigh, poor compromised body was easy prey for the sicks. If you can, why not work out some, but not full-throttle, yeah? If you have another setting, that is....

Savage games looks so awesome!  I'm beyond jealous that I'm just a bit too far to really road trip it and give it a whirl sometime.  

The sickness thing seems to really be going around.  I'm at that point where I feel really fatigued with a sore scratchy throat and way too much mucus.  It's enough to make me feel like crap, but not bad enough for me to just curl up in a ball and play video games all day.  Personally, I'd avoid the cardio work.  At least for me, I've found that I can muddle through climbing, bodyweight, and even parkour, but as long as I rest enough to keep my heart rate relatively low.  If I get too much into cardio-land, I start feeling kind of dizzy.  

I hope you feel better soon.  :)

Yeah, definitely NOT full throttle for workouts. It would be my first gym session since coming back from vacation, so I'd probably keep it to relatively light front squats, benching, and my first day of pull-up work. If I do do the stadium, I would maybe get in some explosive jump work rather than trying to run stairs and then switch over to core conditioning and probably lunges and push-ups. 

@Nymeria -- Something is DEFINITELY making its rounds. A coworker of mine was also out yesterday with the exact same symptoms, plus I've heard tales of sick significant others and children. I guess the change of season / school starting again / people coming back from vacations is a trifecta of disease-spreading potential. 

Edit: ALSO, you can totally road trip it out to Boston some time that coincides with a Savage Games weekend to hang out with all of the awesome nerds that live here and enjoy awesome seafood. I'm told there's also some sort of history out here, which could be good for the kids? THINK ABOUT IT. ;)

• Like 3

Omg stop it with your challenge themes making me want to jump up and down with excitement! First Dragrace now Redwall.  I can't even right now.

Savage games looks like just the thing to do while still drunk ;D Looks like lots of fun really.

And yea, definitely the changing of seasons- half the people I know are sick too. Hope you feel back to 100% soon! My call would be to skip the stadium, but only you can really judge.

• Like 1

So are you spending all day bouncing back and forth between thinking you're fine and can do all of the things and thinking that you feel completely awful?  It's such a horrible time of the year to be sick, because it's so gorgeous outside. 

Oooh, I like this. I shall keep an eye on this. 

Thanks for all the well-wishing. I am still very very full of mucus and generally tired, but hey, not trapped in a bed/sleep cycle, so that is good. 

Day 1.2

I did not make it to the gym last night. We are hosting a very belated housewarming party on Saturday and um, our house, as I've mentioned previously, has not changed a ton since maybe 1-2 weeks after we moved in. Seriously, we're the worst. Given the fact that Hubstron thought it was the week after NEXT and I was too sick to bug him about preparations, we did not get anything done towards this party-having goal over the weekend. Upon his realization that it was in fact this weekend, my evening was booked with starting to seriously remove and crush all the boxes we could from the living room and office. There is now a mountain of cardboard in my kitchen. I did about 2.5 - 3 hours of sorting through a few of the remaining unpacked boxes (though more yet remain), pulling out the ones that are already empty, and crushing them in the kitchen.

I did get my pull-ups in because duh, how could I not? 

... I have mentioned that I use exercise to avoid real world obligations before, right?

Pull-ups: 1/3

Jumps: 0/2

Handstands: 0/3

Adulting points: 5 [3 for cleaning, 1 for eating mindfully]

Hitting the gym directly from work tonight for some lifting and hopefully jumps + handstands. Then, I can quickly shower and head to our D&D session, which would not be cut off even in the face of much more work to be done. Probably no gymnastics tomorrow either, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as my finger rips are still pretty painful and tumbling with a face full of snot is usually less than pretty. Maybe gym-gym on Friday. Practice in the AM on Saturday if we're in a good place for it. Wooo, whirlwind!

• Like 1

On the bright side, unpacking and cleaning house does burn enough calories to call it exercise. ;) Besides, with how sick you were earlier this week, it probably doesn't hurt to have an active rest day to help you recover quicker, too!

Ah, yes, active rest unpacking. Time for even more of that today... :S

@TenaciousGlee -- Hiya, hiya. Welcome. 

@KBGirl -- It's not pretty, I promise. ;)

Day 1.3

Lightest gym day ever, brought to you by the letter "oh shit I haven't been in the regular gym in 3 weeks." 

Front squat 

5 x 45#

5 x 95#

5 x 115#

5 x 3 x135#

1 x 5 x 135#

Dips: 3 x 4

Overhead plate raises: 3 x 10 x 25#

Reverse lunges: 3 x 12 x 35# DBs

Broad jumps for distance: 2 x 5

Stair jumps (up 3 stairs): 2 x 5

Stair jumps (up 4 stairs): 1 x 5 <-- THESE WERE TRICKYYYY. I had to catch the handrail on the side a few times to make sure I didn't fall.

Then, I set a timer and worked on static handstands about 3-4 inches from the wall on this hilariously tiny track area that loops the basketball court at the Y, working on static balance. I got about a 10 second (internal head counting) hold near the end. I think 10 minutes should probably be the MINIMUM because it really goes by very quickly. My shoulders and wrists are a bit out of shape from rest, though, so I only spent another minute or two before moving on.

Then home, shower, D&D, get home starving and make some chicken for wraps, consume, get to bed by 1:00 am-ish. Sigh.

Pull-ups: 1/3

Jumps: 1/2

Handstands: 1/3

Adulting points: 8 [+2 cleaning, +1 eating reasonably]

Schedule (for my own sanity):

Th - Continue cleaning, pull-ups 2

F - Gym (possibly), continue cleaning, handstands 2, jumps 2

Sat - Gymnastics (hopefully if we are in a good place with the apartment), cooking, party!

Sun - Regular gym (maybe), pull-ups 3, handstands 3

I did call to make an appointment today for a physical and consult about my back with my PCP. However... it's not until Oct 27 because that's their first available appointment. and I made the mistake of waiting until fall like everyone else. Blehhh, that seems pretty far away and this back issue is not going away. I'll probably call again tomorrow just to see if I can get the consult separate from the physical. They do issue referrals pretty freely, but they really do want to make sure you're seeing the right type of person and of course, I want that also. 

• Like 1

I did call to make an appointment today for a physical and consult about my back with my PCP. However... it's not until Oct 27 because that's their first available appointment. and I made the mistake of waiting until fall like everyone else. Blehhh, that seems pretty far away and this back issue is not going away. I'll probably call again tomorrow just to see if I can get the consult separate from the physical. They do issue referrals pretty freely, but they really do want to make sure you're seeing the right type of person and of course, I want that also. 

Happens to me with my PCP alllllllllll the time.  I now just go to my trusted chiro with aches and pains and alignment issues as he gets me in on the same week most times and takes care of the issues........................

Hope you get some relief soon. :(