• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron in the Mossflower Woods

You've got to wait for an appointment for more than a whole month? That's ridiculous :/ 

Not bad for not being in a gym for 3 weeks btw... nice handstand too, I'll keep my jealousy to myself ;)

It's ridiculous that you have to wait for more than a month, just to get a referral to another physician, who will also more than likely have a month wait. I'm normally a bit distrustful of chiropractors, but usually they can get you in right away.  Do any of your friends have a trusted chiro that they could recommend for you? 

• Like 1

i haven't caught up with your thread yet buuuut i got an email telling me that Aly Raisman will be at the Reebok outlet store in wrentham this sunday from 12-130PM.

unnamed_1.jpg

thought you outta know!

• Like 1

I vanquish you, BACK PAIN!!!! Sorry to hear that you're having to cope with it... I second what Nymeria said. If you know of a good chiro, that could make worlds of a difference. 

Aaaand despite the back issues-you're still rocking your workouts, lol. BEAST!

Wolf

Can chiropractors actually diagnose the cause of these kind of things? I honestly had not even really considered a chiro, probably because of all the horror stories I've heard. I was mostly looking into possible sports PTs. However, I think I get 12 chiro visits covered under my health insurance policy, so perhaps there is no harm in looking for one in my network.

• Like 3

Can chiropractors actually diagnose the cause of these kind of things? I honestly had not even really considered a chiro, probably because of all the horror stories I've heard. I was mostly looking into possible sports PTs. However, I think I get 12 chiro visits covered under my health insurance policy, so perhaps there is no harm in looking for one in my network.

A good one can.  I've been to two different chiros for shoulder issues.  The first time, my shoulder was popping and grinding pretty horribly.  The chiro took a very PT approach and had me completely, 100% fixed up in 6 sessions.  The second time, I had some chronic stress issues with the other shoulder.  My first chiro was gone, so I tried someone else.  And it was a total mess.  He had me come in for session after session, he did almost nothing to fix the issues, and it was just weird.  

So, a chiro can help, but the important thing is to find a GOOD chiro.  I'd check with people in your gymnastics group.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone could recommend a good chiro or a good PT who can also bill as a chiro.  

• Like 1

Hmmm. I'll ask around, but really, most gymnasts are in the same "PTs only!" camp. 

Also I forgot to update for yesterday, probably because it is a boring update.

Day 1.4

Didn't get as much cleaning done as I wanted, but I got in my pull-ups. My shoulders were a bit sore/weak from maybe the combination of overhead plate raises and handstand work, so the second set of 2 was a real struggle, but I got through it. 

Pull-ups: 2/3

Jumps: 1/2

Handstands: 1/3

Adulting points: 13 [+3 cleaning, +1 eating reasonably, +1 appointment made]

Gym is looking unlikely today given the amount of shit to Get Done (grocery shopping, removing all the crushed boxes from our house, prepping overnight marinades, vacuuming + dusting...and more), but I will set aside at least 10 minutes for handstands at home and possibly get my jumps in as well. If not tonight, then definitely Sunday for jumps. 

Thanks for the advice, all! I did call my doctor's office back and managed to sneak into an appointment that just opened up for Monday morning for a consult on my back. Hopefully I'll have a better idea of where to go from there, but I've also stuck out some feelers about chiro recommendations as well, in case the result of this appointment leads to another, further away appointment. :)

• Like 1

Oh, also here are some pics from Iceland: http://imgur.com/a/OWO2L (I'm obnoxious, so there are about 10 million more pictures of me doing dumb handstands or flexy poses around the country as well...)

And the gymnastics camp we went to in July had a little video done about it: http://www.wmur.com/new-hampshire-chronicle/thursday-september-17th-gymnastic-camp-for-adults/35196350It isn't the only adult gymnastics camp out there, but it is definitely one of a very small handful. You can see me STANDING AROUND DOING NOTHING in my red leotard in pretty much every shot, so anyone who thought I was a hard worker is sorely mistaken. ;)

• Like 3

And the gymnastics camp we went to in July had a little video done about it: http://www.wmur.com/new-hampshire-chronicle/thursday-september-17th-gymnastic-camp-for-adults/35196350It isn't the only adult gymnastics camp out there, but it is definitely one of a very small handful. You can see me STANDING AROUND DOING NOTHING in my red leotard in pretty much every shot, so anyone who thought I was a hard worker is sorely mistaken. ;)

That looks so awesome! Even though it's for women's events, I'd still love to go to such a camp.

GORGEOUS PICTURES!!! I especially love the one with the handstands at the end. ;) 

Will need to check out that video when I get home! I'd love to do me some gymnastics but too many shinies, can't chase them all, ack!!!!!!

• Like 1

Day 1.5

Much much more cleaning. Got in more pull-ups and handstands. Removed almost all the boxes from our house. MADE OUR LIVING ROOM A LIVING ROOM. \o/

Pull-ups: 3/3

Handstands: 2/3

Adulting points: 20 [+6 cleaning, +1 eating reasonably]

Day 1.6

We got up around 9 AM to drop off all the boxes to recycle, finish up some last minute pre-party errands, and then I pretty much spent 11:30 AM -> 8:00 AM in the kitchen prepping and serving food and drink. Our party ran from 4:00 PM to... um... 7:30 AM? Though by the end there, it was just 3 of us sitting on coolers in my kitchen watching the sunrise. 

Adulting points: 23 [+3 cleaning]

Day 1.7

You know what happens when you wake up at 1:00 PM after going to bed around 8:00 AM after drinking for a long time? HORRIBLE HORRIBLE SPLITTING PAIN HEADACHE HANGOVERS. So, you just go back to bed. I didn't get up until 5:30 PM. It was pretty much college all over again. When I got up, there was still no desire for inversion of any kind nor any jumping, so I failed to complete my goals for the week. Note to self: Do not save physical activity goals for the day after a party you host. Just don't. I tidied up from the party, ordered in Indian food, and watched Great British Bake-off. Soooo, I mean, that's still a pretty quality Sunday. 

Adulting points: 26 [+2 cleaning. +1 self-care]

• Like 5

Week 1 Summary

GOAL ONE: BADGER STRONG

*Pull-up work 3x per week, following the twenty pull-ups program

3/3

GOAL TWO: JUMP LIKE A HARE

*Explosive jump work in at least 5 sets, 2x per week, including a mix of vertical and distance in each workout

1/2

GOAL THREE: SQUIRREL TREETOP BALANCE

*Static handstand practice for 10 minutes, 3x per week OUTSIDE of gymnastics practice.

2/3

GOAL FOUR: TAKING CARE OF THE HOME FRONT

*Clean abbey, clean mind: Cleaning things gives 1 point

*Self guard duty: Some kind of self-care gives 1 point 

*Nursemice: Making doctor or PT appointments for myself gives 1 point, attending gives 1 point

*Don't raid the larders: Mindful eating day gives 1 point 

SCORING -- Anything higher than 180 is going to be an excellent score. Between 160-180, good. Between 140-160, okay. Below 140, blah. 

26/180 [total for challenge]

79% -> C+

Sickness + poor workout planning + whipping our apartment into shape really put me out of commission for the level of activity I like to maintain. I barely got any physical activity in and missed hitting two of my goals, but that was really just a bad choice on my part. I don't foresee there being issues over the coming weeks. 

It'll only get up from here. :)

Day 2.1

I've had my appointment for my back this morning. Validating my self-diagnosing, she's calling it as SI joint strain and recommended anti-inflammatories, ice, and checking out PT or a chiro. She gave me recommendations for a local PT clinic and a sports injury-specific chiropractor that is the only one she says she ever recommends because they're excellent. I'll keep the latter in my back pocket for the future, and I just went ahead and booked a PT appointment for next Monday afternoon. She also didn't say anything along the lines of "don't do x" so I'll just keep trucking on with what I've been doing: continuing to work out but just avoiding the range of motion that really aggravates it. Hopefully I'll get some assignments to do on my own after the initial PT visit. 

I'm hitting gymnastics tonight as well, so yay! 

• Like 2

I've never been to a chiro, but my husband has. The trick, I've heard, is finding one who does science and not "messing with you back can fix every ailment known to man. And also take all these supplements." So, that's a good first screening tool.

Good luck fixing your back!

Chiros kind of freak me out.  I'd much wrather just get a massage or do PT, but I've heard good things about them sometimes which makes me feel like checking out a confirmed good one probably can't hurt. Especially if it's covered.

Great job last week!

You know what happens when you wake up at 1:00 PM after going to bed around 8:00 AM after drinking for a long time? HORRIBLE HORRIBLE SPLITTING PAIN HEADACHE HANGOVERS. So, you just go back to bed. I didn't get up until 5:30 PM. It was pretty much college all over again. When I got up, there was still no desire for inversion of any kind nor any jumping, so I failed to complete my goals for the week. Note to self: Do not save physical activity goals for the day after a party you host. Just don't. 

Yeah..  I think just about anyone who is beyond college aged is going to feel totally wiped out by college-type shenanigans.  I almost feel hung over from reading your account.  So, you didn't get your stuff accomplished, but don't beat yourself up too much.  Today is the start of a brand new week. And letting loose and having (maybe a little too much) fun with friends is great to do once in awhile.   I'm sure you'll have no problem at all with getting back on track.

I'm glad you got some sort of a diagnosis.  I hope the PT can help you conquer that lingering pain.  Is the joint strain most likely an actual injury, or is it more likely to be some sort of muscle imbalance pulling everything else out of whack? 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I am not concerned at all. It was just poor planning on my part. All future weeks should watch out cause they're going to be conquered -- though there are many more parties on the horizon this fall, I am not hosting them, so at the very least most other people will kick me out of their house by 2 AM at the latest... Anyway, I am enjoying this fresh new week smell. 

As for the joint pain's origins, I'm not really sure yet. I'm hoping whatever diagnostic style work we do during our first PT visit may shed some light on that. 

Pssssst this is where I plug my new profession and recommend some massage to go along with your PT. If it's a tendon/ligament issue, massage can stimulate the glands that produce collagen and help re-align the fibers that are being repaired.