awesomesue puts the horse before the cart

awesomesue

Yeah not a good comic book theme but there you go.  Basically I realized that I keep getting ahead of myself.  I have these epic goals and I keep thinking that working on them will help me reach my ultimate goal of good health/fitness.  Cart horse...you know I keep putting the wrong one first.  I realized at the end of my last challenge that pursuing those epics need to come after I set a better foundation so they can be achievable.  Ultimately getting fit is helping me so I can hit those epic goals.  Also in working indirectly towards the epics by not focusing solely on biking or running but focusing on consistency for example will help keep me on track and super motivated.  When running I have that natural desire to continually increase distance BUT I am not at the right point fitness wise to be able to focus on it so intensely.  So I can keep running for example and each time I increase my distance great but it need not be my challenge just a pleasant and desirable side effect.  

My ultimate goal is heath.  I want to be as healthy as I can be.  In a nutshell that is what I have been chasing.  So this past week I have been thinking about how to attain it and my measures of fitness.  I have spent this week taking new measurements (weight, body parts, and some bmi) and deciding what I see as markers of fitness for me.  Things like how many burpees I can do in 15 minutes.  Things I can measure directly and will reflect how I am doing.  So I have the numbers for starting week 1 and then will check them again week 3 and week 6.  I am looking for improvement.  It can .5% as long as it is going up and not the other way.  I have set up another pretty spreadsheet too! 

How am I going to achieve this?  Easy.  Eat smart, get strong, and keep moving.

Goal 1 - Eat optimally for me 114 out of 126 possible meals this challenge.  In smaller numbers that is 19 of 21 per week.  More than reasonable I believe based on what I have done and where I am at currently.  I know what we have available at home (that will improve since my husband has a job!), what I do well with, and I am also tracking most of the time to help maintain focus.  Tracking helps with decision making in addition to thinking about what will it do for me physically and how will my body feel eating them.

Goal 2 - Strength.  I lost some of the great gains I obtained and I want them back.  3 times a week of strength work using BW or BB from NFA and 3 times a week of some extra work on planks/pushups/pullups stuff for 5 mintues of each...30 out of 36 times is my target.  I can do this and have.

Goal 3 - Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week.  I bike commute and those miles will count.  Using these various modes of transportation I am heading out to Mordor.  Woot!  This sneaks in things that will help toward an epic goal without adding pressure or taking focus off what I need to work on most.  Looking at past weeks I can manage 76 miles a week and make it to Rivendell by the end of the challenge so Rivendell get ready! (458 miles)  I want to make sure I keep riding for fun and not let it become merely transportation.  I like to yell "weeeeee" going down a hill.  I like running home from work or hitting a trail.  I like to keep moving.  I have taken to sprints on my bike heading into work.  All this feels like play time to me since it is just fun to do.  I may be slow and I may not have the endurance I would like but I have way more than I did last year and it feels good.  Just fun.  Speaking of play and fun...

Side/life goal - Have fun for at least 24 hours during this challenge with the following...tennis ball smack down, xtreme foosball with kiddo, reading, swimming, food prep (I love to cook), and working with clay including painting it.  I do not do these items enough and I am happy doing them.  It works out to be an average of 4 hours a week.  That is reasonable.  Swimming and xtreme foosball go hand in hand since we play the game after swimming at the rec center.  Part of the routine with kiddo.

I may be doing this for more than one 6 week challenge with some tweaks.  Not the most exciting to follow I know but it is exciting for me and it is my challenge after all.  I am looking forward to posting results from my measurements and posting them at the end of week 3 and week 6 will keep me on point.  That will have my list of measurements at that time.  

• Like 4

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I love that you're focusing on the basics! Looking forward to the measurement check-ins!

I am looking forward to the check in's too. If nothing else I can sort what is and is not working and the measurements will help me see progress. :) Granted today at lunch one of my measures besides actual body measurements but how many burpees I can do in 10 minutes.  A test of strength and some endurance.  I also have to see how many get-ups I can do in 10 minutes which is another test of strength.  LOL  Should be interesting.

My group is doing the walk to modor (all the damn way, as a group challenge)

Walking or running would take me a lot longer.  I get a minimum of 50 miles a week on my bike alone due to commuting.  I had not checked to see if any groups were doing a walk to Mordor.  That is awesome.  Let me know if you want an extra pair of legs logging some miles.

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Thinking today about this challenge.  It took a while but I finally got the fact that when working so hard on the fun epic goals I would sacrifice my basics too much.  I started to do only enough strength work that I felt ok (not good, not great, but only okay) calling it a workout more than once in a while when I had limited time or energy and knew I had something I needed to do for that those epic fun things.  I need to focus on getting weight and bmi down and continue to build strength.  I need to keep strength as a foundation and something I do not skimp on workout wise.  Once in a while we are all pressed for time but when one workout or week turns into 3 or more weeks and missed workouts sprinkled into the less than what I really want to do then that is not good and a habit I need to build.

I also noticed that sometimes doing a zero week is tricky for me.  At times by weeks 4 or 5 I am needing a break.  Usually happens more when I get a little too excited and start zero week.  Perhaps if I keep that week as a break week or realy change up the routine from what I want to do for the challenge I will be less inclined to need or want a break at week 5.  That should make it harder to let things get in the way more than they need to during those weeks.

Looking forward to knocking this out and feeling stronger and stronger.  :)  No pressure runs or bike rides are also making me quite happy.

• Like 1

Oh 10 minutes of burpees is too fun and that is all I am going to say about that.  

Well now my husband is sick and has a sore throat.  He wanted a bit of ice cream to sooth his throat.  I bought him a treat and myself some leaf lettuce to eat as my "taco" for taco night tonight.  Ha ha ha  Not being able to eat ice cream has its advantages.  Granted I love it and will suffer for it once in a while but today it is not worth it.  I was talking with my husband last night and said right now for deserts I am keeping to frozen blueberries with almond milk and that egg banana thing (excellent when you toss in some good pumpkin puree).  :)  Who knew it would be tested so soon.

Ouch finished the items I am using to measure progress and compared to earlier in the year I definitely let things slide.  I started to feel bad and then I realized that this is simply where I am right now no worries.  I made great gains in previous challenges and know I will get back there again.  This time I am keeping it and letting this base of fitness go!!!

Really looking forward to continued improvement.    :victorious:

Making some of my green soup pucks and then enjoying some Young Justice.  

Took kiddo to the store and she begged for fresh peaches.  Not a bad thing at all.  :)  We walked, talked, and played her own rpg.  It was a good day and it was either peaches or stuff for her hair.  Still shocked she went for peaches.  I was very proud.  Then she saw avacados on sale and asked for those.  Next she asked for almond butter but that was all the money I had until I am paid on Tuesday....lemons, avacados, and peaches had to be the end of our bounty.

• Like 1

Yay it is Day 1!

For now I am logging food here.  I am really looking to the amazing community of people in the forums to help drive me, be honest, and cheer me on to hit my goals this go around!  Unfotunately with MFP you can still eat too cruddy and stay within calories and what not.  Plus with limited time I would rather log here and read other peoples challenges then work through other logging items granted I am going to get back at with the Daily Mile.  Their weekly report can make you feel awesome or motivate you to get going again!  I love MFP but I want a break too.

Today I will be biking at least 10 miles and walking 3-4.  May take the dog for a 1 mi run since he has not been running with me much.  Reading about 30 minutes or playing with clay.  I have gotten into making those little forest spirit guys from Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke.  Made one and painted it.  Too cute.  Should try making a TARDIS too.

Food for the day is:

Breakfast - hard boiled egg and apple 

Lunch - salad of leaf lettuce with tuna, onion, carrots and Braggs berry dressing + some curried butternut squash soup I made during food prepping this weekend.  YUM!

Dinner - homemade tuna patties with lemon + roasted green beans (turns them crispy like a fry...not paleo but they were from a friend and they are delicious!  Will use some melted coconut oil to toss them in before roasting) + cranberry stuff for kiddo since she does not eat green beans and we have some in the fridge.  

So that will be 1/21 eating optimally meals for the week and 1/114 for the challenge.

It was a cool ride in this morning.  Last year my cold weather nemesis were my feet getting sooooo cold.  I will be getting warm socks since the hubby is working to help with this but then I had an idea.  I made rain pants for cold rainy days before someone gave me an old set of rain clothes (made for walking and not sport).  I had taken a pair of my husbands old sweatpants and used duct tape and trash bags to fashion something hideous looking but kept my legs soooo warm and dry!  I can use them with a poncho.  I love being able to take a cruddy situation and fashion something that will help.  Thinking about how noisy and ugly but AWESOME those pants are I realized I could do the same with shoes possible.  I have a terrible pair of old, busted, and treadless tennis shoes.  I can not wear them since they hurt my feet but I can ride in them so I am going to work with them tonight and see if I can make something similar to my cold weather pants with the shoes.  Pretty excited to put some ideas to the test and keep my feet warm!  I will beat 19 degrees this year when riding.  ;)

• Like 1

Yay! Mordor buddies! Let's journey together! I'm still on my way to Rivendell - I don't even think I will get there by the end of the year and you're going to attempt it by the end of the challenge - very ambitious! 

Using Zero Week as an actual rest week is a really good idea - I usually fizzle out a little bit towards the end of a challenge, but we could be using Zero Week as a time to review and reflect and regroup. 

Also, you should absolutely make a clay TARDIS. 

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Buddy up?  ABSOLUTELY!  We will nail Rivendell pretty fast since you already have miles or do you want to start from scratch together or do them separately and a second one together?  Game for anything as always.  Hey you want to join some crazy people trying to build up to a 3 minute full cold shower in 30 days?

Yay! Mordor buddies! Let's journey together! I'm still on my way to Rivendell - I don't even think I will get there by the end of the year and you're going to attempt it by the end of the challenge - very ambitious! 

Using Zero Week as an actual rest week is a really good idea - I usually fizzle out a little bit towards the end of a challenge, but we could be using Zero Week as a time to review and reflect and regroup. 

Also, you should absolutely make a clay TARDIS. 

Yeah I am thinking it would be fun to make a TARDIS too.

Yesterday the green beans were not great so I had to open a can of them and I did add very small baked potatoes to dinner.  I topped mine with just a bit of  parmessan cheese.  Very little adds big flavor.  I did have a couple bites of cranberry stuff.  I felt that was reasonable and not even close to a serving.  I used to think that cranberry stuff was healthy.  I did also have 3 spoons of an ice cream we had in the house.  I almost got a cup despite how sick it makes me.  I call that a win.  I realized I wanted a taste and not actually eat it.  

No run last night.  Had enough going on but I did do my strength work and feel it some today.  I made sure to push myself.  This morning I already added my extra strength work stuff.  Felt good to start the day this way.

Biked 10 and walked a total of 2.5 miles so that is 12.5 miles on my way to Rivendell!  Ended up reading for 20minutes.

Still amazed at how not letting tv suck up my time from last challenge has made it so I get so much done!  Before when a show was on I was loath to quit watching it (even if it was on Netflix or a video we own) or would let the family talk me into watching a second episode or what not.  Now when done I get up and do what needs done (last night it was dishes).  I get things done before watching tv too (more dishes, cooked, showered, and worked out all before tv time).   :)

Eating Optimally for me (3/114)

2.6%
2.6%

Strength + extras (2/36)

5.6%
5.6%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (12.5/458)

2.7%
2.7%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (20 minutes done)

1.4%
1.4%
  • Like 1

Today the game plan is:

extra strength work (done)

add miles through biking and moving   :)

not sure if I will have time for fun stuff..we will see

Food:

Breakfast - apple and peanutbutter with a delicious cup of plain almond milk

Lunch - same as yesterday

Dinner - a one pot meal (new recipe) with peas and bacon and some ronzoni garden delight pasta (higher in protein).  I can eat some pasta/grains 3 times a week and still loose weight (will keep it to a serving size).  Might make spinach balls to compliment it.

What helps with food is that I planned meals or themes for dinners for the week as much as possible (there are always unknowns) and then planned my breakfast and lunches around that to balance out days.  On those uncertain days I end up using my breakfast and lunch to help direct what I should consider having for dinner.  

Day 2 was  a tad off with eating.  No time to make spinach balls and I had to go to the store late for my husband and well I made a poor choice.  So it is a 2 out of 3 meals for the day.  It may have been a late night choice but I was debating it the entire time as I was going to the register.  Then I turned off that part of mt brain and ignored what I knew was best.  I have to go by NO EXCUSES.  Gggrrr.  This morning I feel like it has tanked my first 3 weeks (bec of mid challenge measurement check in) but I know rationally that is not the case.  I know I have this.

I covered 13 miles biking and running and had another 40 minutes of fun in the day!

Eating Optimally for me (5/114)

4.4%
4.4%

Strength + extras (2/36)

5.6%
5.6%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (24.5/458)

5.3%
5.3%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (60 minutes done)

4.2%
4.2%

Today is a short lunch run and more biking.  I also plan on doing strength work today.

Breakfast - egg banana paleo thing with pumpkin and blueberries added....new combo for me and it was delicious!!!  Who knew pumpkin and blueberries would taste so good together!

Lunch - broccoli and spinach soup + homemade quinoa veg burger (at plain...love it without break or anything)

Dinner - kiddo and me night so it will be breakfast themed.  We have those avacados we purchased on Sunday that are finally starting to ripen.  Maybe a simple omlette with onion & avacado.  She cooks it so I will see.  My husband has to take dinner to class tomorrow night and with him having class tonight and working I get to make it for him to take.  I do not mind.  I will be busy enough but at the same time it is nice to know he will get to enjoy something I made.   :)

Wow I have a moment so I am going to post Day 3.  I did nothing but work when I got home.  Dinner for my love's class tomorrow night took 1.5 hours to make.  Kiddo had to do homework and then we had housework.  I was debating taking today as a rest day for strength but decided to save my one weekly rest day because you never know when things can be crazier or it is simply needed.  No excuses so there you go.  I knocked out a solid strength work.  Ate really well and kept to a simple dinner of eggs, avocado, and sauteed onions.  Yum!  Ran at lunch, walked, and of course cycled so that is 15 miles down too.  

I did not add any fun time.  I mean I did have fun this evening especially with my kiddo.  But I am looking forward in curling up in bed and cuddling kiddo and watch a movie after I teach her how to shave her legs.  Here's hoping no razor burn happens her first go or blood.....

Eating Optimally for me (8/114)

7.0%
7.0%

Strength + extras (3/36)

8.3%
8.3%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (39.5/458)

8.6%
8.6%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (60 minutes done)

4.2%
4.2%

So recently 3 people I work with told me I was awesome repeatedly.  One finally said they should rename me awesome sue.  Oh that was cool.  I laughed.  Maybe I am awesomesue.  ;)  Normally I dismiss things like that in my head but using that name here enough and well for once it felt well what do you expect...it felt AWESOME!    Oh and to top it off I may have roped another coworker into cycling to work.  Woot!

• Like 2

Unexpected day off work due to power outage issue and things not working.  Yay!  So my bike ride today will be around 20 miles plus I may do another mile or so run.  I am walking kiddo to school and then going for a pleasant run.  Afterwards I come home, grab my bike, and head out for adventure and the library.  I will also be getting in some of my strength extra work.  I already knocked out some dishes and what not so I can relax (I see an hour or so of appreciating fun things on my challenge), enjoy moving, and errands completed.  Now to get in a cold shower and really get the day started!

breakfast - same as yesterday.  It tasted so good and was very satisfying. 

lunch - I am thinking green soup and maybe a small plain baked potato.

dinner -  kiddo wants us to split a package of ramen noodles with an egg on top (no to seasoning pack).  I will hit a local market and grab some of their house smoked ham.  It does not have crud in it and is very delicious.  That ham is so different from what I grew up with and it is an adjustment.  It is not this weird pink or juicy but it is simple and delicious and smoked.

• Like 2

Unexpected day off work? That's awesome! It will be good to get a lot of stuff done.

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

So when I pick up kiddo I will have walked 2 miles.  After walking her to school I went for a run.  Saw a couple deer in the woods laying in ivy.  Talk about something that uplifts your spirits and lets you feel so close to nature.  After running I stopped at the store (ran to the store literally) and then walked home.  Turned round and headed out on my bike.  Stopped at the library and forgot my glasses so it was interesting looking at books.  Found a dvd I have put on while I roast a delicious looking butternut squash for lunch (yep lunch plans changed and I am good with that).  The dvd is called Rising From Ashes.  Interesting thus far.  When at the store I got a treat for my day.  It is from Garden of LIfe ... Perfect RAW Chocolate drink thing.  Mixed in water and I love the stuff so much.  I was only able to buy a single serving packet but gosh I love the stuff.

I can not help be feel proud of myself today.  I have done things I enjoy and did not just sit around or play games all day.

OH and I weighed myself for the first time in 10 or 11 days.  I have lost 4 pounds!!!

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (63.5/458)

13.9%
13.9%

Strength + extras (4/36)

11.1%
11.1%

Did some extra plank and sitting in a squatting position while watching the dvd so there you go.

Too early in the day to call it for the amount of time of the fun stuff (that is misleading because I find walking, running, and biking fun but it is for other things I also enjoy) and for food but I see food will be knocked out of the park today.

And to think a month ago I was feeling cruddy.  

• Like 2

Nailed the food yesterday and had 30 minutes of additional fun.  Love being able to update all the progress bars.  Here are the remaining two.

Eating Optimally for me (11/114)

9.6%
9.6%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (90 minutes done)

6.2%
6.2%

Food for the day..

Breakfast - left overs from what I made hubby to feed his class last night.  It was less than half a portion.  I also have one small (not standard size at all but a realistic one) slice of a whole wheat bread and an apple

Lunch - green soup and tuna.  Kept it simple

Dinner - it is supposed to be pizza night but we do not have the ingredients and have an errand to run if my husband gets off work early enough so not sure how it will go.

It is all up in the air the rest of the day.  We have an errand and I told kiddo I would help with a chore of hers.  Legs are sore and I have strength work so I am not sure how much walking and if I will run.  Biking miles are a given since I commuted to work.  Playing it by earl for now.  I do not even want to plan out the weekend.  Kiddo may go to a friends, we have grocery to do, and who knows what will come up.  I do want to get her out for tennis in the morning on Saturday for an hour or so.  Good for us all.

Okay I used my second meal of the week of not so great for dinner.  We ate late and frankly when soda is involved I continue to make one bad choice after another.  I ended up eating too much.  We ordered out and it was salty.  We had a credit at this place (they are not a usual and we did not have the items to make our own or the inclination this evening...big mistake).  How they do things is not only salty but we all always lack that certain element of satisfaction even when full thus never feeling like we are done/satisfied.  I wanted to tell my hubby no soda but I did not.  All my choices.  I knew I should skip the soda.  I knew I was getting full.  For the rest of the weekend I need to keep the meals in check so I can make the targeted 19 optimal meals a week.  I can do that easily.  The dinner choice left me waking up at midnight and not able to sleep.  Kiddo did not over eat but the salt left her waking up to drink water.  She is now up reading.

I also realized that I had no rest days in mind for week 1 so I took Friday as a relative rest day.  Some DOMS going on and shins a bit sore so I kept it to biking and walking 4 miles.  I noticed in previous challenges that I almost always need/want a rest on Monday.  I almost worked out Friday but I do not want a rest day on Saturday or Sunday and then follow it with Monday. 

Knocked out an additional 90 minutes of fun reading this evening and earlier in the day at lunch.  It was nice.

Food for today:
Breakfast - mashed avocado, onion, egg cooked in some diced bacon ends.  Cheap way to buy the good bacon at our local market.  The ends are chunky but we dice them up and throw them in the freezer.  Need a little fat to cook something then grab a tablespoon of these and toss them in the skillet.  Great way to also add big flavor and up the satisfaction feeling.
Lunch - green soup for me.  Regrettably we have left overs from dinner and the thought makes me ill at the moment.  Definitely keeping to soup and maybe a nice crisp apple.  Mmmmm  Maybe a pumpkin almond beverage too (pumpkin puree blended into plain almond milk and spices - nothing else needed).
Dinner - "taco night".  Skipping the burrito or taco shell and turning mine into a delicious taco salad or using some leaf lettuce as a wrap for the filling.  

It will also be a strength day for me.  I need to run errands so I am most likely to go for a run.  At some point I need to do some bike maintenance.  Cleaning, tightening some bits, and lubricating the chain so that means a ride afterwards.  I mean who can resist right?!  That most likely will be Sunday.  Sometime soon I will need to replace brakes and I am seeing signs that I need to look at new tires.  I did grab my old tennis shoes and realized that I could create an insulating layer with an old shirt.  Tennis and clay time will also be happening.   :)  I will also be planning my meals the week and doing some cooking prep.

Definitely on track and then some for hitting the weekly targets.

Eating Optimally for me (13/114)

11.4%
11.4%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (180 minutes done)

12.5%
12.5%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (78.5/458)

17.1%
17.1%

Strength + extras (4/36)

11.1%
11.1%
  • Like 1

Eating Optimally for me (16/114)

14%
14%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (360 minutes done)

25%
25%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (78.5/458)

17.1%
17.1%

Strength + extras (6/36)

16.7%
16.7%

Quick post here.

Spent 3 hours yesterday planning food and prepping for the week.  I really enjoyed the time and what I was doing.  Of course while prepping food I was doing other things like laundry but cooking is such a pleasure and knowing I am making good food helps make it even more enjoyable.

Eating pretty good.  Happy on this front.  Using what we have the best I am able to manage.  Stopping when satisfied helps too.  Not adding my meals for the day until I have them all down.  It was so nice cooking breakfast this morning with the husband.  I worked on the protein while he made delicious pancakes.  He adds things to give them a solid nutritional boost.  Kiddo was quite pleased.  None of us added any sugar to our pancakes.  I ate the protein on mine like a soft taco.  Kiddo said I should call it a panco.  LOL  Dinner will be pork and vegetables.  Not sure entirely what I will create.  It will be something I make up as I go.  Lunch will be leftovers from taco night I think.  My salad last night was delicous.  I did not miss the taco or tortilla shells at all.  I still need to cook Chana Masala after I am back from the store.  It is lovely.  Fabulous flavors and is very satisfying.  We eat it without any bread.  Tomorrow it is lunch with a nice salad and perhaps some carrot ginger soup I made and froze into pucks yesterday.

No running yesterday  but I am going for a short run today.  I need it.  Like cycling and even more so since I do not have to watch traffic the same way provides a massive stress relief and is even meditative.  No additional walking yesterday.  I am in a good place mileage wise to make it to Rivendell however you never know when  you hit that week things do not go as smoothly so I know I should not be complacent either.

Nailed strength work and the extra strength stuff.  That has left me feeling fantastic.

Okay off to post one more thing since I am working on my battle log or trying to at least.  I need to talk less and do a run  then walk to the store to work on grocery.  :)

• Like 1