awesomesue puts the horse before the cart

awesomesue

Eating Optimally for me (18/114)

15.8%
15.8%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (360 minutes done)

25%
25%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (78.5/458)

17.1%
17.1%

Strength + extras (6/36)

16.7%
16.7%

Dropped the ball on the final meal.  I did not do bad but I had better options, thought about those options, and decided to be lazy.  That means for at least one week I need to make up that meal and I will.  

No run.  I fell asleep and the family let me sleep.  Normally I do not nap but admittedly falling asleep in the comfy chair felt good and I woke up rested.  Slept well last night too.

Feeling good about my progress.  I loved cooking this weekend and despite the time enjoyed the meal prep/planning immensely.  I did not enjoy grocery shopping.  So much junk shoved at you from every direction.  I ranted on someone elses challenge about it.  LOL  Just disgusting what they do and I am not appreciating it anymore.  I may start shopping at the odd hours and only going in during normal hours to get things from the butcher or deli counter when needed.  

Today I have biking, running, walking, strength, and some fun time planned (reading and stretching).  I am also going to do back exercises with my daughter that the doctors want her to do to help straighten things.  

Food planned:

B - I.F. morning (not the least bit hungry so why not)

L - apple, chana masala with a dash of plain yogurt, and a very small amount of swiss cheese to eat with the apple

D - pork (not sure how I am cooking it), mushrooms, salad  

Pretty straight forward all around.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Alright I nailed today.  Solid on the food.  For dinner I did pork that we ended up cutting and throwing on the salads.  We even have pork left over for tomorrow night.  Also I cut up some fresh strawberries.  I had a lovely desert of sliced banana with 1 Tbs of a fresh ground peanutbutter.  I forgot that I was resetting my week so Monday could be my rest day strength work speaking.  So I took today off despite earlier plans.  I did rewrite my NFA spreadsheets from when I printed them last year from the Academy.  Unfortunately the spreadsheets are kind of a challenge/sloppy.  Instead of a workout A B C for dumbbell level 3 you get A B B...LOL.  Stuff does not print very well or cut off in boxes.  I am sure they are fixed by now since so much work is put into NFA.  I hate to print more out so eh I will go with what I have since I already looked up things and wrote out what was missing after I printed them.

I biked 12 miles today.  For the past few weeks I have been riding home a different route each day.  Amazing how much there is to explore even in alleys.  Just remember to not take a deep breath through your mouth when riding past a pungent dumpster.  YUCK!!!  Ran 2.5 miles at lunch and walked 2 miles.

Tomorrow at work we have a service day which is fun.  Anyway they tout health so they are feeding us a breakfast of pastries, bagels, muffins, and fresh fruit.  The group I signed up for provides a light lunch which is usually some wrap sandwich, cookie or brownie, and fruit.  This sounds persnickety but I am packing. 

B - salad with a hard boiled egg + a piece or two of fresh fruit depending on what they have...oddly it is rare that even half the fruit is eaten

L - taking some green soup to drink before the group I am joining (we meet  12-3) and then from there I will pick apart the lunch to eat what what I want and give away the rest.  May take extra fruit from breakfast if there is a bunch left and have that with the lunch just in case.

D - left over pork, mushrooms again, small salad, and ???...want to make it different from tonight's meal.

Read for 30 minutes so that is more time on the fun extra's.

Eating Optimally for me (21/114)

18%
18%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (390 minutes done)

27%
27%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (93/458)

20%
20%

Strength + extras (6/36)

16.7%
16.7%
  • Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Who knew that a salad with olive oil and vinegar would taste so freaking good first thing in the morning!  Of course the bit of fresh cooked diced bacon ends did not hurt.....

• Like 2

Pork or bacon on green salad is a great topping.  It looks like you are doing a good job balancing your activity and your rest -- even when your nap isn't planned.  Great first week.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

What can I say.  I held to the food choices today and it was awesome.  Lunch was rice, cookies, water, and 5 salads.  By the time I saw the food there was nothing but cookies and rice so I kept to my green soup and banana and skipped the food offered.  I read.  I biked and walked.  I nailed strength work despite not really feeling like doing it.  So that is check more off in all columns!

Eating Optimally for me (24/114)

21%
21%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (420 minutes done)

29%
29%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (105/458)

23%
23%

Strength + extras (7/36)

19%
19%
  • Like 3

Todays plans...

B - IF

L - almond milk, banana, chana masala

D - plum and strawberries, protein, spinach, small potato, and to make it breakfast for kiddo an egg will be added.  I believe we will eat in the kitchen via candle light.  She loves that and it has been a while.

Game night with the daughter and playing the rpg she is creating.

Biking of course and a run at lunch.  Oh and my strength extras.   :)

• Like 2

All those food and exercise achievements are great and all, but we haven't heard about the most important thing. 

Tell us about the RPG that your daughter is creating!

(Seriously, you are really doing well.  Great work on passing over food that was outside your plan.  You are an inspiration.)

(But really seriously, tell us about the game.)

• Like 2

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Go, Sue! You stuck to your guns and ate your own lunch and avoided the cookies. +1 to fortitude!

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

LOL

Her games (yes plural) are based on D&D style.  She has created several so we do not get bored and each week she has been working on a couple of them.  She says absence makes the heart grow fonder.  ha ha ha  The first one is based upon a book series by Erin Hunter called Warrior Cats.  That one our characters have progressed the furthest.  The other on we have played has wolves as the characters.  We each started as solo wolves that have teamed up.  We have had many adventures and found our own territory.  She has kept many things true to wolves so to speak.  We have since encountered two other wolves and after several rolls of the dice we decided they are good and they have joined up with them and are now on the verge of forming a pack.  According to her one of us needs to mate and have pups.  Yeah mom is not ready for that yet. :playful:   There is one she is considering using foxes.  The one tonight is called Spirits.  We have been working on our characters a bit (designing them) and she drew pictures of them.  Have to roll for stats yet.  Anyway this one has a variety of classes more than the other games.  She is part healer and part riddler.  She speaks in riddles for her spells.  A roll of the dice (she is not sure which die will be rolled for it yet) will determine if the opposing force figures out the spell.  If they figure it out then it gets turned on us.  Looking forward to the adventure this evening and to hear about the creatures we will encounter.  She asked me to be more warrior oriented since she needs a meat shield to smash things for her.  ha ha ha  While I prep dinner she will most likely be in the kitchen at the table having us each roll our our stats.  I have no clue what set of stats she has come up with so it will be interesting.  With just two of us she is both story architect and player but it has made it so I can throw curve balls and side adventures into the story.  While I was out hunting I heard something (when she is not expecting me to say anything like that), for example, and then she makes me roll to see if I can id it and if I do I roll again to see if it is friendly, neutral, or something to run from or attack.  I can say it is something not friendly which then draws her into it and so on.  

It is a blast!

• Like 2

If I am eating cookies then they are going to be homemade one.  That is all I am saying.

This weekend my love has a birthday and kiddo is making him a cake from scratch.  I am being extra good this week because I love our daughters homemade cakes.  So does our cat Chester.  He always eats anything she bakes especially cake.  Our slogan for her cakes are "Cakes so good your cat will lick them!".  Yep kiddo can make a cake from scratch and can make cake flour too.  Normally dad makes his delicious butter cream frosting but this year she is doing it.

First time the cat licked her cupcakes was when she made a bunch so we could create Daleks for her My Little Pony meets Doctor Who birthday.  She wanted Doctor Who inspired cake so we had her help.  LOL

• Like 1

That game sounds so fun! What an imagination.

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

I have little girls myself, I know about the warrior cats.  It sounds like you are doing a great job helping her creativity and probably her problem-solving and math skills as well.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

She loves to write and draw.  I am not creative like that so it is pure joy to watch and to be a part.  She started at a fairly young age.  Last year for Halloween  we had fun watching people guess who she was and no one could.  Mostly because it was a character she created but she had a blast telling them the back story of her character.  People thought she was one of the Three Muskateer's or a pirate.  Actually she was a warrior girl that was morphing into a dragon.  

"The Backstory"

She had lived with her dad in the woods and he hunted and made things from dragons.  One day he did not come back.  After several days she went to look for him and that is when she stumbled into a dragons nest.  The female dragon fought her fiercely protecting her eggs.  During this epic battle the dragon sensed something special in this young girls heart.  She was brave and kind.  Instead of fighting each other until the bitter end the dragon stopped and gifted her a special amulet that allowed her to communicate with dragons and let them know she was a friend.  She was tasked with training dragons and protecting them as the need arose.  However as a result of the battle and some severe scratches she was tainted and had partially turned into a dragon.  She had dragon skin around her scars and she grew other dragon bits.  It was interesting picking an outfit (pieced ti from stuff around the house) and trying to do this crazy makeup.  LOL  She got extra candy from people when they wanted to know the story because she would get so animated while telling it and they appreciated the originality.  As a result we did not get to go to as many houses but she ended with a good amount of treats and the folks that spoke to her enjoyed a good story.  For the record the father did return home eventually.  He was merely lost in the woods for a while and after seeing his daughter sometime later vowed to no longer harm dragons and turned to making things from wood.

I had her write it all down.  Someday if she becomes a writer this could be a story line she could further develop.  

So Erick the Red how many of the Warrior Cats books have your girls gone through?  Kiddo has completed the first two parts of the series plus one special field guide book.  I will be requesting the first three books of the next part of the series.  LOL  She would even have us pretend we were warrior cats on some of our runs together as we worked toward a 5k for her.  The looks on peoples faces as we ran by were priceless.  But hey if it had her running and not stressing great.  Better yet we had a blast.  I bet you know more about the books than you ever thought you would want to know.  ;)  Mine is always updating me on new characters and big events.  She reads the descriptions to me and will discuss plot lines and things she does and does not like about a character.  Just crazy.

• Like 1

I don't know which books they have read, probably not that many, but both girls have lots of books and shows that they each like and I am just proud that I recognized one.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I know the feeling!  I am happy she loves reading more than I did when I was her age and that she likes to tell me about the books.  Other stuff she will mention in passing like I should know what it is leaves me feeling out of the loop and like I am not so cool (and by saying it makes me totally uncool).  ha ha ha

Wow, your daughter's rpg games look like so much fun and the stories themselves are fun to listen to!

Well done on the challenge so far, you have done a great job tracking your food :)

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Kiddo took the game up a notch.  She even made cards with our attacks, heals, and those of potential foes.  Great time overall and a wonderful story.  For once I rolled really great numbers so she was even more excited to take the story completely over the top.  Tonight she asked to play a game with a friend from her school online.  I told her she could and I will nail down a strength workout (my last one was mediocre) and maybe some more bike time.  

It has been fantastic weather for bike commuting.  Wow.  No lunch run today since my legs are a tad sore and again going for it on a strength workout.  ;)  I do plan on walking a couple miles again today.  Might get some reading or clay fun in today.  Not sure how it will go after work.  My evenings are sooooo busy as soon as I get home when you toss in all the great stuff I want and need to do.  I was doing things this morning early so kiddo and I can have some fun time together this evening.

Stuck to the food plan and it was tasty!

Today's food:

B - left at home...uh oh and kiddo ate it but I had a bit of a big lunch so I ate part of that.  Delicious turkey (not nearly enough) and an apple

L- chana masala (may buy a salad from the cafeteria....husband told me to go there for breakfast but it is bad greasy or pure sugar and it is stuff that is always a let down and I do not want anymore since it tastes bad to me)

D - breakfast for dinner.  I think kiddo wants ramen noodles (just a tiny dash of seasoning from packet...too much of that stuff is gross but a hint of flavor is okay) topped with an egg, mushrooms, and maybe a bit of bacon.  I will add green onion to mine.  We will also have some leafy greens for a side salad + some fresh strawberries and a plum (shared of course) to balance out the meal.  

As of the end of day yesterday I am at:

Eating Optimally for me (27/114)

23.6%
23.6%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (420 minutes done)

29%
29%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (120/458)

26%
26%

Strength + extras (8/36)

22%
22%

Weird but it does not feel like we are midway through week 2.  LOL

• Like 2

Crudola man...

I ate lunch and it was not as much as I thought I had originally set aside.  I am hungry so I thought "Hey Sue treat yourself to the cafeteria for a little something to round out the meal.".  Yeah.....NO.  The apples and bananas looked terrible.  The salad greens were wilted and most of the toppings are things I do not like eating anymore (processed and salt laden...no thanks...I am still working on issues that took me down at the end of last challenge so I do not care to poke the bear).  There were only 3 vegetables offered at the salad bar.  The other 11 items (I kid you not) were highly processed meat, pasta, and cheese.  Eating crap was so much easier!  The chinese food options were all deep fried sugar sauce crud, their smoothies all contained dairy including ice cream or whipped cream so it is loaded with sugar too (this is touted as healthy too), and anything from the grill is greasy or breaded.  None of it fresh.  All the rest of the options where muffins, donuts, chips, cookies, and bagels or sugary drinks.  I walked away sorely disappointed at the options.  Almost all breads since that is where their profits sit.  I eat bread every now and again if we make it but not sugary ones.  We eat ones we make where we use good ingredients and add what we can to up its value.  I had the stark realization that they really do not have much variety.  I am even more astounded at what they claim to call healthy and get away with calling it healthy.  

They should be ashamed.

The food business is really disheartening overall and aggravating.  They do things they do not have to and many choose to tell partial truths in marketing.  Hey I took the "How to Lie with Statistics" class.  I know how it works.

I do not miss the days when anything on a salad was considered healthy.  I remember those days but I do not miss them.  I remember thinking anything in smoothie form had to be healthy right?

I have no idea what it is lately other than having more control over our foods thanks to my husband working again but there are things I just will not touch anymore.  I refuse to do it to myself and my family.  Now that I am feeling frustrated I think it is a stellar time to go for a walk.  We have a market near enough that although pricey I could find something of value to me.  At the same time I may choose to stay a bit hungry and save money.

Eating Optimally for me (30/114)

26%
26%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (480 minutes done)

33%
33%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (133/458)

29%
29%

Strength + extras (9/36)

25%
25%

Nailed another day.  Good food.  Strength work.  Biked and walked.  Good fun.

Today - 

bike, walk, run, strength extras, get ready for fun for my husbands birthday on Sunday

B - almond milk, banana, cereal, 1 tbs pb

L - turkey + green soup

D - pizza night...homemade and delicious!

Normally I would not have a cereal (oats) when I knew I was having a bread at dinner however I was not inspired as to what to make and was short on time.  All my fault I know but I still think what I had packed is reasonable.

Looks like a good day.  Homemade pizza is the best. 

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

When we have time we make a sourdough crust but tonight it will be a basic crust.  As much fun as ordering out can be we always like our pizzas more.  Tonight we are doing pepperoni and fresh mushrooms or a chicken pineapple bbq pizza.  I really like cauliflower crust and quinoa crusts too but kiddo is not so keen on those.  Plus I do not feel like making 2 different ones tonight.  LOL

No run at lunch today.  A ten minute conversation turned into 2 hours later and I am only taking a few minutes at lunch.  That's okay since my legs are quite sore.

Eating Optimally for me (33/114)

29%
29%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (480 minutes done)

33%
33%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (143/458)

31%
31%

Strength + extras (10/36)

28%
28%

So I had a post.  One where I talked about some stress today and my mother in law (needs to be evaluated for alzhiemer's) and all that and lost the whole freaking post.  All these mixed emotions and guilt as we used to be really close.  Rough day yesterday too at work...no lunch and worked late.  Beyond irritated at the moment.

On a good note despite not getting to run or walk yesterday I still rode, did strength extras, and ate well.  Pizza night was delicious and controlled (I wanted to make so much crap food but chose not to and I feel better for it today).  Resisted all kinds of urges to eat out of frustration, whacked out hormones, and being tired.  I can honestly say I am making progress!

Today is strength, maybe an hour of food prep for next week...may save that for tomorrow, some kind of run/bike/walk for sure despite my legs being sore and it is strength again today, and eating well.  Going to check in on some challenges and then work on chores.  

B - had it already.  Kiddo made delicious eggs and bacon ends (not much of either) + one of her smoothies of almond milk, banana's, and a bit of peanut butter and cocoa powder.  She said the smoothie was enough energy that she only gave us a little bit of bacon ends and eggs.  It is cool to see her think through food choices and learning how to balance out it nutritionally speaking.  She is going in the right direction.  Happy that she is considering what she knows about nutrition right now.  It was all good portions and quite satisfying.

L - salads - basic mixed greens + mushrooms + tuna (maybe?)

D - taco night.  I may just buy some lettuce or keep mine to a burrito of meat and beans.  Little cheese if any and maybe some carrot ginger soup I prepped last week.  

Just not giving into angry frustrated who care's eating today.  As much as I feel like doing that I do not want to so why do it.  

• Like 3

Just not giving into angry frustrated who care's eating today.  As much as I feel like doing that I do not want to so why do it.  

So sorry to hear about your family issues.  Great job overcoming emotional eating!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Did good on Saturday.  It was rough at times and all that but I was not tempted so much.  I kept at it.  Sunday was great.  Husband had a great birthday with the rest of the family visiting Sunday.  Kiddo and I worked hard and the food turned out great.  I did eat cake as planned and it was delicious.  My big eating optimally for Sunday was to keep meals simple until dinner coupled with not over eating.  All I can say it that was a win all around!!!  I did get in my final strength work for the week and strength extra day.  I did get a couple hours of fun stuff but no extra walking/running/biking.  It was a busy weekend cooking and prepping stuff.  No complaints considering all that was going on Saturday/Sunday.

Today I got to work only to be there for an hour.  Kiddo ended up quite ill today.  So I had to come home only to find a flat tire when getting ready to ride home.  After walking the bike for about 2 miles I found a pump to put air in it and decided to ride as far as I could until it needed more air.  No sense in damaging my bike.  Managed to do it.  Used it as a lesson for kiddo about how to approach things like this.  She was so happy I made it home to her.  She also understood that despite this unexpected event coming home I did not whine or yell or cry.  I simply dealt with it and tried to be creative with the situation.

Today is a complete rest day other than the biking and walking.  Tempted to do more since I am home but since I was having some inflammation kick in yesterday from working so hard I am going to try and be smart.  Rest days are good days too.  LOL  Part of it is that drive to see some mid-challenge improvement on my measures.  ;)

Counting the miles today but not the food here is where I am at;

Eating Optimally for me (39/114)

34%
34%

Have fun for at least 24 hours (reading/tennis/cooking prep/working with clay) (600 minutes done)

41%
41%

Bike/Run/Walk/Hike as far as I can each week..aiming for Rivendell by the end of the challenge (153/458)

33%
33%

Strength + extras (12/36)

33%
33%

We do have cake left so I am going to allow one more piece this evening for my husbands actual birthday.  Our kiddo did amazing with the homemade cupcakes.  Our nephews girlfriend works at a bakery and made a tasty cake too.  She "nerded out the cake" and it was awesome, geeky, and completely amazing.   Elvish from LotR, Nova Corp symbol, Rebel symbol from Star Wars, and instead of Happy Birthday he got a "May the force be with you.".  Cool.  Kiddo did the Happy Birthday candles for her dad.  The chocolate cupcakes she made had cinnamon in them.  It is a recipe from The Joy of Cooking.  No small recipe for sure.  Separated egg whites and yolks.  Whipping whites to fold in...melting chocolate...she did it all and it was phenomenal!

Food today has been simple.  Cereal, veggies, and tuna for breakfast and lunch.  

Dinner - salisbury steak that I made last night, salad with mixed greens instead of mashed potatos, and of course cake.  Oh and a left over deviled egg made with avocado (YUM!).  Granted I am worried that I will not see progress but I know I will because I have already from working with the strength extras.  LOL

I had been putting in loads of bike miles and I want to get to doing that again.  Must resist temptation to do more today.  ;)

• Like 1