SpecialSundae kicks culo at the Classic and commences coaching for Commonwealths

SpecialSundae

Feeling a lot better than I was. :)

Bit of an epic fail on sleep last night: took until about 0:30 to drop off and was awake at 7:20 so not even a lesser point. :(

On a plus note, though, hip is sitting about a 0.5 (barely feel it as long as I'm taking painkillers) today spiking at 2. It was closer to a 4 spiking at a 7 this morning, pre-painkillers and pre-walk.

Things that seem to help - walking, lifting, generally keeping moving.

Things that hinder - inactivity, over-stretching, deep squats.

So I'm gonna be totally nosey and ask where you've been going for physio.  There's a couple of us that go to one here in Edinburgh who is really good, and I know a load of people who can recommend physios in Glasgow.  Because we're aerialists.  And always hurt :chuncky:

Fiona - Assassin

Horses ~ Circus ~ Rats ~ Genetics

Four week challenges: 1 2 3 (Failed) 4 5

Current challenge: Here

So I'm gonna be totally nosey and ask where you've been going for physio.  There's a couple of us that go to one here in Edinburgh who is really good, and I know a load of people who can recommend physios in Glasgow.  Because we're aerialists.  And always hurt :chuncky:

Not nosy at all!

I went to see a friend's husband at the Edinburgh Physiotherapy Centre and he was amazing, but he's currently going through lots of cancer treatments so I haven't been able to see him.

Since then, I've seen a guy at Physis a few times but the last time I came out in agony and I've actually been in a worse state since then than I was before. It was a bit like "Oh, so that doesn't work and I'm not sure what to do now."

KingLeeroy and others have recommended giving FASIC at CSE a go, and I think I get a members' discount.

Where do you recommend?

Not nosy at all!

I went to see a friend's husband at the Edinburgh Physiotherapy Centre and he was amazing, but he's currently going through lots of cancer treatments so I haven't been able to see him.

Since then, I've seen a guy at Physis a few times but the last time I came out in agony and I've actually been in a worse state since then than I was before. It was a bit like "Oh, so that doesn't work and I'm not sure what to do now."

KingLeeroy and others have recommended giving FASIC at CSE a go, and I think I get a members' discount.

Where do you recommend?

Ah I was going to suggest the Edinburgh Physio guys!  Though it looks like the guy I saw for my elbow isn't there any more :/  A friend of mine saw one of the women for hamstring/glute issues and LOVED her, I can ask who it was she saw if you like?

Fiona - Assassin

FitBit says I was out for 7h24m last night but asleep from 23:15 to 07:01. I'm counting that as a 7h30m night.

Hip was okay this morning. I could get my shoes on with minimal pain, albeit very carefully. This bodes well for this evening's training session.

I'm trying to relax and just enjoy this weekend's championship. My weight is precisely where it should be and I can't wait to see some of my friends.

This is how my pain levels seem to go on a normal-ish work day with relation to my hip:

• 07:00 - Wake up - c.2-3 (definitely feeling it but not horrific)
  • 07:30 - Try to get dressed - c.4-6 (stiff and sometimes really painful, can spike to 7-8 on a bad day)
  • 08:00 - Commute - 2-4 (sore but manageable, take ibuprofen after breakfast during commute)
  • 09:00 - Painkillers kick in around the time I get to work - 1-2
  • 12:30 - I go for a walk - 0-2
  • 13:30 - Painkillers start to wear off, eat lunch and take more - 2-3
  • 17:00 - Leave work and usually head to either yoga or the gym
    • Yoga - Pain varies from 0-7 (spikes badly during the first couple of sun salutations then again if I try to do certain hip openers)
    • Lifting - Pain varies from 0-4 usually (spikes when I'm getting onto the bench and occasionally during warm-up for deadlifts)
  • 18:00-21:00 (depending on the day) - Commute home - 1-2
  • Evening - varies wildly.
  • Bed time - 3-4

It seems to be really bad if I spend all day sitting without moving and not too bad if I'm pretty active, as long as I don't anger it.

Curious how it would feel without the painkillers.

I'm SUPER scared of getting addicted to painkillers or building up a tolerance to medicines in general. So I really hope that whatever is ailing you heals up fast so this doesn't happen to you.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Just for clarity, the last time I tried to go entirely without painkillers (by which I mean ibuprofen or diclofenac rather than analgesics or opiates) was last week whilst I was off sick and resulted in me rolling around on the floor howling in pain. Another previous attempt involved me waking up at 5:30am, taking a bath, trying to stretch and eventually giving in and taking something because otherwise I sounded like a wounded animal.

I hate that this is the only way to manage the pain at the moment. I'm going to speak to my doctor again next week, with the hopes of finding some other form of solution, but I can't risk a change in medication this close to a competition.

I am slightly surprised that you think that I wouldn't have tried everything other than just taking the pills before accepting that this is the current solution.

Just for clarity, the last time I tried to go entirely without painkillers (by which I mean ibuprofen or diclofenac rather than analgesics or opiates) was last week whilst I was off sick and resulted in me rolling around on the floor howling in pain. Another previous attempt involved me waking up at 5:30am, taking a bath, trying to stretch and eventually giving in and taking something because otherwise I sounded like a wounded animal.

I hate that this is the only way to manage the pain at the moment. I'm going to speak to my doctor again next week, with the hopes of finding some other form of solution, but I can't risk a change in medication this close to a competition.

I am slightly surprised that you think that I wouldn't have tried everything other than just taking the pills before accepting that this is the current solution.

The bolded part is more why I was worried. I assumed you were talking about opiates or the like which are SCARY to me. Ibuprofen is a different story.

I didn't assume that you wouldn't take them if you didn't need them or if they didn't help. I was just more curious if the pain was an off the charts 10+ without them. Which apparently it is :( Which sucks.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

The bolded part is more why I was worried. I assumed you were talking about opiates or the like which are SCARY to me. Ibuprofen is a different story.

I didn't assume that you wouldn't take them if you didn't need them or if they didn't help. I was just more curious if the pain was an off the charts 10+ without them. Which apparently it is :( Which sucks.

No, I don't touch opiates unless things are really grim and even then I'll only take them for a day or two at most. 

They don't actually help much unless I take the 30/500 cocodamol and that then turns me into a zombie. 

Really sleepy, so just popping up my training log. Hip is calm this evening. Here's hoping it's alright for the next few days.

Tuesday 15/9:

BW: 63.0

Squats:

(20kg x10)

(40kg x10)

(60kg x5)

(80kg x5)

(100kg x3)

(110kg x1)

120kg x1x2

Not quite as easy as I'd like, not quite as hard as I'd expected (given I'm still not well)

Bench:

(20kg x10)

(40kg x10)

(50kg x5)

(60kg x2)

(65kg x1)

70kg x1x2

Not entirely happy with these. My heel's coming up again. I need to move my right foot forward or loosen off my calf a bit (this is the tight one)

In other news, my coach said some really nice things about me whilst using me as a case study in an answer to a question on how far people can expect to go with strength training.

Are you taking paracetamol at all? It is what I tend to recommend to have regularly because it has a much better side effect profile than NSAIDS - and works much better then people think, particularly when it is taken regularly or in combination with other analgesics. 

Sounds like you aren't having any issues tolerating the NSAIDS though.

Hope the hip stays calm!

Current Challenge!

Battle Log

Instagram | Twitter | Training Journal 

(Weight x Reps x Sets - all weights kg unless specified)

I'm not taking paracetamol at the moment. I was prescribed NSAIDs because it's an inflammation causing the pain, so they help treat as well as alleviate. It just doesn't seem to be going down.

I'm going to go back and see what can be done, though. :)

It's actually pretty happy today. No pills yet this morning and limited pain, but that might be because I indulged in a diclofenac last night rather than an ibuprofen.

Can't listen to 30 minutes of that tbh, what did he say?

If she sticks with it, she can be a top 5 lifter in the world. And that she follows instructions well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Accupuncture is high up the list of things I want to try to see if it helps. Looks like FASIC do it too, so I might just pop in on the way to the gym and see if I can get an appointment for the day I get back.

Let me know how it is if you do get one.  I'm not a CSE member but I am an Ed Uni student and I'm wondering if acupuncture would help my dodgy elbow out.

Also awesome news on the lifting front!

Fiona - Assassin

Sorry for being quiet the past few days. I'm now in Bournemouth getting ready to head to the venue. I weigh in at midday and my morning weight was 62.3kg today so I'm confident for weigh in. 

I actually got a good night's sleep last night, although probably not quite long enough at around 7h20m on the FitBit, and I'm feeling good today rather than dehydrated or tired or sick. 

Here's hoping this is a good omen!

Just going to cross-post this on my training log and challenge and will do the same with any updates.

• Like 5