Calibre Looks Into The Storm Front

Son of Rylos

Here we are again, at the beginning of another adventure!! This is one of my favorite times of the year (Autumn and Halloween) so it's time to really take my fitness goals by the horns and ride them to the ground. Really have to get this challenge right this time so why not pick a great theme to go along with it. This time I'm going with another book theme but this one has WAAAAAAY much more source material to play with/have fun with. And the winner is:

Dresden_Files_Banner_Harry_Murphy.jpg

For those that don't know, the Dresden Files is a book series written by Jim Butcher about the wizard and private investigator Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden and his misadventures through the mean streets of Chicago. I've heard it described as a "Philip Marlowe meets Gandalf" series. Told in the first person, you get to see things through Harry's eyes and in his head. I have been reading this series from the very beginning and I haven't been able to stop since! I absolutely LOVE this series (the TV series... that's another story). So, this theme is ON!!!

I'm looking to four major goals this time around.

1) Empty Night -- No eating of any kind after 8:30pm every night except Saturdays (36 points // STA +2; CON +1)

I really wanted to make this goal more about eating my larger meal for breakfast and/or lunch and then a smaller dinner but sometimes you just have a craving for something hearty after a long day at work. I relax, start watching TV or checking the forums and I tend to snack on crap food. I'm going for the next best thing, cut off all food intake after 8:30pm except for Saturday night gaming night.

2) Infriga/Forzare/Fuego -- Scheduled, specific exercises with two days on, one day off. (28 points // STR +2; DEX +1)

Not only do I need to get my exercise game going again, I've discovered I need to SCHEDULE IT!!! Doing that will take the burden off of what I need to do and allows me less room to make excuses. The three workout types I'm planning are for Leg Work (Fuego), Arm Work (Infriga), or Walking/Jogging (Forzare). Two on, One off.

3) Keeping Up With My Allies -- Sustained support to my peeps here. Minimum 5 Rebels and 5 messages of solid importance weekly (Pass/Fail per week // CHA +1; STA +1)

I love this community, I don't think I've said that enough!! Anyone that has given me a like, said a supportive or positive word to me, and you crazy lot that follow my challenges, I love you all greatly!! I've had my bumps and bruises the last couple of challenges but I know that I can keep up on it with help and support from you all. So, helping others helps me so I will be making sure I keep up with my fellow Rebels this time along.

4) Not Just Phallic Foci -- Cosplay/Halloween Costume of Harry Dresden for Party just after challenge (Pass/Fail overall // CHA +2)

Elaine -- "Still going with the phallic foci, eh? Staff and rod?"  // Harry -- "They make me feel all manly."

OK, I just remembered that line and it felt waaaay too appropriate but I'm thinking that since I know I will be available for my friend/gaming buddy's Halloween party, I've decided to shoot for doing a Dresden costume/cosplay for the party. Now, I did do one for a convention three years ago and I really just threw some things together for that and it was OK. I know that it's only 7 weeks til Halloween but I think I can put it together. Now, I've seen both the artistic drawings on some of the covers, plus the show and actual book descriptions so I'm hoping to put something together that channels it all together. Here are a few examples:

DeadBeat.jpg10.jpg

My tentative schedule is here under the Spoiler tag (plus so I can fiddle with the sizing)

Exercise%20Alpha_zpsj0jrtplm.jpg

Now, to officially start this challenge, this quote pretty much shows the focus on I have on this challenge:

"My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, conjure by it at your own risk.

When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights,

when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book"

• Like 7

I'm down with this challenge.  I'm a HUGE Dresden fan.  Have you read all of the books?

• Like 2

Lycansbane (NF CHaracter)

1st | 1st redo | 2nd | 3rd

"Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it." ~ Jim Butcher

"They live lives that don't matter, that touch no one and change nothing. For better or worse, you and I stared evil in the eye and didn't flinch. We raised our swords and went to war, and even if we didn't win we kicked some ass along the way. We made a difference, and that's all any man can ask." ~ Simon Green

Ah, nice goals :)

I'll be here again.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I'm ready to get back on track and do this challenge thing alongside you. :)

In an effort to help you do your helping thing with other NF denizens, I can definitely use an assist to keep me on track while I'm trying crawl back up from my slump. I need someone to ask me specific questions (did you do your walking today? what are you doing for exercise tomorrow? and so on). So, if you need to get your 5 messages in, hit me up!

• Like 2

- Sarah

"I am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars."

My Epic Quests:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/143011

I'm going to try my best to keep up with my fellow Assassins too!  You know I'm subbing!   :redface-new:

We can do it!!! Plus, I'm thinking (fearing) we're going to end up with a competition Mini this time around :D

I'm down with this challenge.  I'm a HUGE Dresden fan.  Have you read all of the books?

Sweet and Welcome to my craziness, I hope to stay focused. And yes, I have read EVERY book. Plus own each on in audiobook form done by James Marsters, he just brings Harry out of the book magically (pun partially intended :D ) Relistening to Proven Guilty right now, I forgot how deep that book got.

Here we go! 

Yeah!!! I'm ready to rock this one!!

I was *this* close to using Dresden for my theme this time around. *whew* THAT would have been embarrassing like showing up to a party wearing the same dress! 

Ohh pfffffttt... There's plenty of Dresden to go around. I would have been hardcore rocking our theme together!! It's all good though :) Plus, I don't do dresses, I do assless chaps ;)

Ah, nice goals :)

I'll be here again.

Woo Hoo!!! Glad to have you around still despite me indecisive performance :)

You are the second person to mention Dresden files this week.  *adds to long mental book list*

Excited to see you kick all the butt!   ;)

Ohhhh I love love LOVE this series. I haven't connected to a series like this in forever. 

I'm ready to get back on track and do this challenge thing alongside you. :)

In an effort to help you do your helping thing with other NF denizens, I can definitely use an assist to keep me on track while I'm trying crawl back up from my slump. I need someone to ask me specific questions (did you do your walking today? what are you doing for exercise tomorrow? and so on). So, if you need to get your 5 messages in, hit me up!

This is our revival, we have got this!! Plus, it's heading towards Samhain/Halloween so it's a special time of year so we can embrace the season. Fall is coming!! :)

• Like 2

Yeah!!! I'm ready to rock this one!!

FWIW, I think your three-pronged challenge is enough without a fourth goal, so if you don't come up with something, no need to feel down about it and in fact it might help you be more successful with the others, yeah?

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

What is Infriga/Forzare/Fuego? Are those spells from the book? I haven't read these ones, but I've been meaning to for awhile. I'm interested to see how the 2 on, 1 off go for you. I've tried that before and always had better luck with a set weekly schedule. But scheduling is definitely helpful no matter what. These look like great goals overall!

• Like 2

Yes, Fuego is his primary fire type spell.  Later on in the books he moves to Infriga (cold based) for plot specific reasons.  Forzare is a burst for force at the target typically used to blow open doors or hurl things at monsters.

• Like 2

"They live lives that don't matter, that touch no one and change nothing. For better or worse, you and I stared evil in the eye and didn't flinch. We raised our swords and went to war, and even if we didn't win we kicked some ass along the way. We made a difference, and that's all any man can ask." ~ Simon Green

What is Infriga/Forzare/Fuego? Are those spells from the book? I haven't read these ones, but I've been meaning to for awhile. I'm interested to see how the 2 on, 1 off go for you. I've tried that before and always had better luck with a set weekly schedule. But scheduling is definitely helpful no matter what. These look like great goals overall!

Yes, Fuego is his primary fire type spell.  Later on in the books he moves to Infriga (cold based) for plot specific reasons.  Forzare is a burst for force at the target typically used to blow open doors or hurl things at monsters.

Exactly, Lycan, you know your stuff. For me, on any normal day, my body tends to run in two directions: my hands tend to end up being cooler than my normal body temp while my legs are always roasting hot. So, I went with Fuego (fire) to dictate my leg workouts (plus I really want to feel them burn when I'm done), Infriga (cold) for my arm workouts, and Forzare (force) for my pure walking/jogging trips. Honestly, I would have used another spell name for walking but Ventas Servitas would have been a little much.

Pine, as for the two on, one off, my exercise game has always been weak so having a specific down day should keep me fresh hopefully. But yes, the schedule is BIG for me. Following in line with others I've seen pull off excellent schedules.

• Like 5

FWIW, I think your three-pronged challenge is enough without a fourth goal, so if you don't come up with something, no need to feel down about it and in fact it might help you be more successful with the others, yeah?

I THINK I have it in me for a fourth goal. I feel that I will really have to focus on the second and partially third but not so much the first. I feel I could do one more. I might have a good idea on that one but if by tomorrow night I don't have it I won't worry about it.

• Like 1

Alright then, Day 0 and Decision Making Day!!

Had a few minor inconveniences with a repair guy not showing up due to "reasons outside his control" but nothing I have to have done immediately. Relaxed some and got some thoughts and feelings simmered down. While not doing a specific food-based eating goal, I wanted to also "get rid of some no-so-healthy choices" (i.e. devouring some ice cream last night). 

Today I cleared up my goals, added Goal 4, put up some stat point gains for the challenge WHEN I complete it, and made everything a little more neat and shiny around here. I think I'm ready for tomorrow.

Tomorrow will also be weigh-in, before pics and more so stay tuned!!

• Like 2

Huge Dresden fan here. Good luck with your challenge.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks River, greatly appreciate it! Always glad to have another Dresden fan in the thread.

So morning one is a slow starting morning (probably that ice cream that I "needed" to get rid of). No progress pics or arm workout in yet BUT did get my starting weight (319.8). Surprisingly, I guess I didn't take as bad of a hit to my weight with my downtime. I know I'm looking to get to 270 eventually but I would really enjoy seeing myself under 300 come Christmas. 19 pounds and three months.... Maybe but I won't force it.

Working soon (with a "fun" meeting at lunchtime today with my boss) but tonight will be filled with pictures and arm movements and no eating after 8:30pm unless I want to turn into a Gremlin.

• Like 4

Here we are again, at the beginning of another adventure!! This is one of my favorite times of the year (Autumn and Halloween) so it's time to really take my fitness goals by the horns and ride them to the ground. Really have to get this challenge right this time so why not pick a great theme to go along with it. This time I'm going with another book theme but this one has WAAAAAAY much more source material to play with/have fun with. And the winner is:

Dresden_Files_Banner_Harry_Murphy.jpg

For those that don't know, the Dresden Files is a book series written by Jim Butcher about the wizard and private investigator Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden and his misadventures through the mean streets of Chicago. I've heard it described as a "Philip Marlowe meets Gandalf" series. Told in the first person, you get to see things through Harry's eyes and in his head. I have been reading this series from the very beginning and I haven't been able to stop since! I absolutely LOVE this series (the TV series... that's another story). So, this theme is ON!!!

I'm looking to four major goals this time around.

1) Empty Night -- No eating of any kind after 8:30pm every night except Saturdays (36 points // STA +2; CON +1)

I really wanted to make this goal more about eating my larger meal for breakfast and/or lunch and then a smaller dinner but sometimes you just have a craving for something hearty after a long day at work. I relax, start watching TV or checking the forums and I tend to snack on crap food. I'm going for the next best thing, cut off all food intake after 8:30pm except for Saturday night gaming night.

2) Infriga/Forzare/Fuego -- Scheduled, specific exercises with two days on, one day off. (28 points // STR +2; DEX +1)

Not only do I need to get my exercise game going again, I've discovered I need to SCHEDULE IT!!! Doing that will take the burden off of what I need to do and allows me less room to make excuses. The three workout types I'm planning are for Leg Work (Fuego), Arm Work (Infriga), or Walking/Jogging (Forzare). Two on, One off.

3) Keeping Up With My Allies -- Sustained support to my peeps here. Minimum 5 Rebels and 5 messages of solid importance weekly (Pass/Fail per week // CHA +1; STA +1)

I love this community, I don't think I've said that enough!! Anyone that has given me a like, said a supportive or positive word to me, and you crazy lot that follow my challenges, I love you all greatly!! I've had my bumps and bruises the last couple of challenges but I know that I can keep up on it with help and support from you all. So, helping others helps me so I will be making sure I keep up with my fellow Rebels this time along.

4) Not Just Phallic Foci -- Cosplay/Halloween Costume of Harry Dresden for Party just after challenge (Pass/Fail overall // CHA +2)

Elaine -- "Still going with the phallic foci, eh? Staff and rod?"  // Harry -- "They make me feel all manly."

OK, I just remembered that line and it felt waaaay too appropriate but I'm thinking that since I know I will be available for my friend/gaming buddy's Halloween party, I've decided to shoot for doing a Dresden costume/cosplay for the party. Now, I did do one for a convention three years ago and I really just threw some things together for that and it was OK. I know that it's only 7 weeks til Halloween but I think I can put it together. Now, I've seen both the artistic drawings on some of the covers, plus the show and actual book descriptions so I'm hoping to put something together that channels it all together. Here are a few examples:

DeadBeat.jpg10.jpg

My tentative schedule is here under the Spoiler tag (plus so I can fiddle with the sizing)

Exercise%20Alpha_zpsyr9qg2kk.jpg

Now, to officially start this challenge, this quote pretty much shows the focus on I have on this challenge:

"My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, conjure by it at your own risk.

When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights,

when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book"

YES.

ALL THE DRESDEN.

I love them too. The zombie t-rex??? FAVOURITE.

• Like 3

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Zombie T-Rex was good.  Personally i'm a HUGE Butters fan.  Also am waiting for more Ebeneezer but guess we'll wait and see.

• Like 1

Zombie T-Rex was good.  Personally i'm a HUGE Butters fan.  Also am waiting for more Ebeneezer but guess we'll wait and see.

Yes, the polka to raise the dead was AWESOME.

• Like 2

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I love that butters dates the wolf girl :).  Total change from the butters we first meet.

• Like 3

YES.

ALL THE DRESDEN.

I love them too. The zombie t-rex??? FAVOURITE.

Ooooooooo anyone that loves Dresden Files jumps several levels in my book. Now you're even more awesome!! :D

Yes, Zombie T-Rex is pretty sweet and I'm a big fan of Butters, especially interesting what happened with the last book. McCoy has some more life in the books but I fear he may not last too much longer in the books (I hope I'm wrong). I'm getting antsy for the next book, that's why I'm going through them again, I'm at Proven Guilty (#8).

• Like 2

Ok, so this challenge I'm receiving a book/game education from you guys here on NF. I don't know Dresden at all, not the books, nor the series (well we don't have TV so that accounts for that part). I'm having a look around on Amazon for Kindle books, because I'm not sure I'll find these in South Africa (and quite frankly, don't think we have enough space on the soon-to-come-book-shelves).

Anyway, other than being educated, I'm looking forward to checking out your challenge.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

If you're looking for the books i might have EPUB versions i could e-mail.  They could be read through a tool like calibre OR through the Barnes and Noble app.  I'm fairly certain i don't have them all but i might have the first 8-9.  Ignore the series (TV) it was TERRIBLE IMO.  The butchered the characters and the story line was awful.  That's my opinion.

I agree what happened in the last book is amazing.  I also agree with the bit about McCoy.  I think being the "Blackstaff" comes with it's own problems.  Outside of the main characters i definitely think Odin is my favorite misc character. 

• Like 2