Good books on finances?

I just got a Kindle for Christmas so I feel like books are more accessible to me now. Any really good ones on finances that isn't just a self help book?

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Uhh. General Personal Finances and Debt reduction. Thanks :)

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Good for you for wanting to get a handle on your finances.

Loren Wade just posted about Dave Ramsey's book, The Total Money Makeover. I would also recommend it. Focuses on debt reduction.

Good luck!

~Mel ••• Starbuck is my hero •••

30-Day Paleo Challenge Extravaganza!! ~~ Mel's Workout Log ~~ Online Measurements ~~ Online Weight Log ~~ twitter

Awesome. Will definitely look into that!

The Millionaire Next Door is a great book in understanding how a majority of millioniares live and maintain their wealth. It really put things into perspective and lets you know that they drive used cars until the tires fall off just like us.

The Millionaire Next Door

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Thanks guys! I am going to look into getting these in ebook format :)

I just started the Money Makeover! I am excited about reading all of them. I can't have TOO much information right? Thanks for your help guys!

I'm currently reading The Wealthy Barber books. He's Canadian, so I don't know how applicable some of the stuff like RRSPs would be for you, but some of the advice, like paying yourself first (10% of your paycheque into savings) would work :)

Wealthy Barber is pretty good. I just finished The Wealthy Barber Returns, which is updated now some 20yrs after the first one came out. Very readable and entertaining. Let me know if you need translation from Canadian to American :)

I also highly recommend The Total Money Makeover as a book for those looking to get control of personal finance and get out of debt.

Level 1 Human Ranger STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 3
Twitter | Google+ | tumblr

I am also a fan of Dave Ramsey books, but I want to add one more book that I don't see anyone else posting yet.

Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me: About Life and Wealth

Though this book is also has a Bible slant on its information, it is an extremely simple and brief book. Not a whole lot of crazy numbers and math, but is a very quick and easy guide. I had read this for a college workshop once, and I ended up buying my own copy.

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

Here's a second for Ramit Sethi. I haven't read his book (I have the ebook, just gotten to it yet), but his website can be fantastic (though occasionally isn't). He's recently been running a free job search course as a precursor to his paid stuff. Pretty interesting stuff. I can't say if it works yet, as I've still got a little unemployment left to lose. My one complaint with him is that he can come across a little pushy. Then again, you need to be a bit pushy to make a good chunk of cash like he has.

Also, I subscribe to Get Rich Slowly, which spent a long time focused on debt reduction. It's a frequently updated blog (about once a day) with people from a number of different backgrounds. If you are interested in a basic subject within personal finance, you can probably find it on that site. I generally prefer blogs to books just cause I can plug the RSS feed into Google Reader and read an article or two a day and get many different perspectives, rather than just one for an extended period of time.

David Bach's The Automatic Millionaire

Another vote for The Millionaire Next Door, also his Stop Acting Rich and Start Living Like a Millionaire

Not sure if this is available on as an E-book, but I'm a fan of Charles Long's How to Survive Without a Salary. This one is more philosophical, talking about looking at your wants and needs, but it also does the yeoman work in teaching you how to write a budget and understanding basic investing.

Vicky Robin's Your Money or Your Life is a classic.

Oh, I forgot one!

Larry Winget's You're Broke Because You Want To Be: How To STOP Getting By and START Getting Ahead. He bills himself as the Pitbull of Personal Development, and I think he's insulted pitbulls which are really very sweet dogs, and so cuddly! *yanks brain back on track* He can be pretty, well, mean in his approach, but he also gives good advice because he's been there.

Agree with many of the above. Dave Ramsey is great for getting out of debt. Thomas Stanley's "Millionaire" series can be enlightening; my grandpa is a millionaire next door type, so it wasn't as enlightening to me as it seems to be for some, but it's always a good reminder. Once you're out of debt head over to http://www.bogleheads.org/readbooks.htm and pick up an investment book or two to start with.

I subscribe to Get Rich Slowly, there's only so many different ways to approach personal finance problems though. Recently it's been hit or miss for me, but overall it's a great site with a terrific archive. I have heard Ramit Sethi on Marketplace Money (a good personal finance radio show), and he seems to have his head on straight, his website is iwillteachyoutoberich.com.

Even though I don't have much, feeling like you have control over your money is a powerful place to be in. Even though I still have debt, I like looking at my mint a few times a week.

I read The Young Fabulous and Broke by Suze Orman (I think that's how you spell her last name) I found that reading that and listening to Dave Ramsey's 14 cd financial peace University set to be the most helpful. If only I had read them before I was up to my eyeballs and freshly declared (ch 7) sigh.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

I like the book "The Richest Man in Babylon" It's been in publication for decades and put all the foundation in an easy to read format. I think it's great for people who are just starting to read debt and finance books.

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!