Camp Time Challenge, Terinatum

Terinatum

Camp Time Challenge, Here I Come!!

Yuppers, simple is my goal these next few challenges. They are the foundations (thanks, awesomesue) that I am remodeling and shoring up to make my life path exciting and invigorating. I have done a lot in the last 2 1/2 years here at NF and it has been a great ride. I didn't quite get to a full 5K without walking, but got 2.4 miles and that felt fantastic! Now with injuries and illnesses demanding attention, I find myself willing to step aside (not backward) to ensure healthy hips, feet, and a better epine in order to go further down my epic quest list.

So...

Main Quest:: Get off the injured bench!!

Goals::

1.) LISTEN TO MY BODY -- AND DO WHAT IT NEEDS!!

Big difference between knowing what my body needs and giving it that very thing. I am a great thinker, but doing is at a Level 3 vs. the Level 10 thinker. So a late life Dual Class Character is what I am!! Time to be okay with that and take a few steps forward.

Choose from:: Tai Chi, Stretching, Mobility, PT, and Aquatic Therapy

Do at least one of these things a day.

Record the activities here.

2.) EAT PROTEIN -- AND LESS SUGAR!!

This is like the last bastion of terror that has been holding on in my journey to heal from part traumas. PTSD is a wicked strong illness and filling in ruts it has made and carving out new riverbeds is a full time job.

Have protein in every meal.

Record the meals here.

3.) WALK IN PARK -- AND DO EXERCISE STATIONS THERE!!

I have done this a few times now and it lifts my spirits. I can walk about 2K steps without pain, if I keep to the level-ish paths. The stations I use are the pull up bars, the regular and decline sit up benches, and the incline push up bars. And occasionally I do the parallel bars to practice holding myself up with my arms, stepping up to and prepping for dips.

Go to park 4 times per week.

Record times and activities done here.

4.) LET MY CREATIVE GENIE OUT OF ITS BOTTLE!!

The guitars was a great step in doing creative stuff outside of my head. It's so easy for me to fantasize and daydream about music, maps, and writing. So I can choose any of the following:: guitar, writing, drawing, sewing, cooking, map/world building, house designing, etc... Let's do these things shall we, Teri?! Yes, ma'am!! LOL

Do at least one creative activity each day.

Record times and activities here.

Side Quest) DO STRENGTH WORK AT HOME!!

I have the equipment now to do Wii games, dumbbell work, and standard bar work at home. The first thing that has to happen (Week One) is to arrange the living room to make these things possible.

Do at least two strength workouts each week.

Record times and activities here.

I'll put grading up later.

HALF WEEK ZERO

Protein, Walks on dirt, and get Aquatic Therapy started!

Rock On, Rebels!!

• Like 7

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

i pint huh? i guess the f-word applies. you have not lost the battle though... you will get up and do the things that need to be done. (((((hug))))

you might want to look into your signature... on my laptop it looks messed up...

have a great sunday night!

• Like 1

Monday:: TO DO OR NOT TO DO, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of PT healing on my own

Or

To take up arms against a system of troubles that is the VA? And by challenging them, end them!

It means a day and a half of heightened back and hip pain.

It may very well not bring about the desired affect.

It means gas money, although prices are down quite a bit these days.

And only Lord and Lady know, what will happen with my food choices for that day and the following morning.

If I don't go, I could well be waiting for their follow-through ability for another month and not get any aquatic therapy before camp.

If I don't talk to someone face-to-face about this continuous disregard for my welfare, I'm gonna lose it in a big way.

Any suggestions or questions that can help me decide?

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Well, 

The more the VA gets complaints, the faster they may get around to doing things.

Is there any way you can achieve both? Like incorporate any movements that you know about into you car ride or sitting around the VA's office all day?

Can you pack healthy snacks for the wait?

Can you meal plan while you wait at the VA so that you might swing by the grocery on your way home with the freshest of vegetables?

Perhaps move to a state where the VA moves more at snail in a shoe box pace rather than amoeba in the great lakes pace?

• Like 1

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Well, 

The more the VA gets complaints, the faster they may get around to doing things.

Is there any way you can achieve both? Like incorporate any movements that you know about into you car ride or sitting around the VA's office all day?

Can you pack healthy snacks for the wait?

Can you meal plan while you wait at the VA so that you might swing by the grocery on your way home with the freshest of vegetables?

Perhaps move to a state where the VA moves more at snail in a shoe box pace rather than amoeba in the great lakes pace?

Oh how I wish the VA didn't come with a 10 year backlog, ever sporadic government cuts, and a staff of a few too many burnt out, not properly trained, ill fitted, and grumpy people. Luckily the number of these people is likely smaller than I give them credit for considering my mood.

I am going down.

I will pack a lunch, write up the things I want to talk about, take breaks along the drive, and check in with the patient advocte.yea, there's only one that I have ever found.

On a semi side note, I am also going to check in with the satellite VA clinic in Burlington and see if they have a foot doctor. I can't tell which came first: the chicken or the egg.

Thanks Syren.

• Like 4

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Aquatic therapy sounds interesting, can you tell me more about it? Yep, after missing out two challenges (managed to slip past the start time, ugh) I am back again!:D

• Like 1

LV 2 Elf Scout

STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 7 | CON: 8 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Challenges: 1, 2

Running/biking 30-60 min: 0/12

0%
0%

Yoga or flexibility practice: 0/15

0%
0%

Physiotherapy sessions: 6/96

6%
6%

1 h reading: 3/42

7%
7%

Aquatic therapy sounds interesting, can you tell me more about it? Yep, after missing out two challenges (managed to slip past the start time, ugh) I am back again!:D

Aquatic Therapy

A warm pool is used as a weightless environment in which a person can do exercises to help strengthen weak parts of the body that ar too fragile to handle a workout on land.

I have done aquatic therapy for my back several times. It's great for working on core muscles and surrounding areas without antagonizing the injured place. Then as you get stronger, you do more with the injured muscles to get them stronger. I also like that a lot of the moves help me with my balance muscles as well.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I know it's not the same, but would an aquatic program of any sort help? I have a friend who goes down to the YMCA and does aquatic exercises there. Her medical condition is so severe, insurance even covers for them to send a van to get her (it has to do with fluid on the brain).

- Sarah

"I am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars."

My Epic Quests:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/143011

I know it's not the same, but would an aquatic program of any sort help? I have a friend who goes down to the YMCA and does aquatic exercises there. Her medical condition is so severe, insurance even covers for them to send a van to get her (it has to do with fluid on the brain).

Oh wow, that's cool that she can get that. I hope she is doing well with it. As far as a program is concerned, it would have to start out gently and then build up in intensity until I can take the workout back out onto the ground.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Aquatic Therapy

A warm pool is used as a weightless environment in which a person can do exercises to help strengthen weak parts of the body that ar too fragile to handle a workout on land.

I have done aquatic therapy for my back several times. It's great for working on core muscles and surrounding areas without antagonizing the injured place. Then as you get stronger, you do more with the injured muscles to get them stronger. I also like that a lot of the moves help me with my balance muscles as well.

That sounds like a great thing for me as I have injured pretty much every part of my body except my left shoulder at least once and also suffer from chronic pain and neck+back issues making occasionally exercise selection hard.

• Like 1

LV 2 Elf Scout

STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 7 | CON: 8 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Challenges: 1, 2

Running/biking 30-60 min: 0/12

0%
0%

Yoga or flexibility practice: 0/15

0%
0%

Physiotherapy sessions: 6/96

6%
6%

1 h reading: 3/42

7%
7%

W1 D1 -- Monday 9/14

I travelled down to the VA in order to straighten out the crappy communication and lack of follow through concerning the Aquatic Therapy request from the middle of August.

The day was filled with tense and angry energy, not emotions that I often give the light of day to. I spoke with the patient advocate and I got in to see 'D,' one of the four nurses on my team. We looked through all my communicas and VA responses and found several places where my request fell through the cracks. She apologized for her involvement and I thanked her for that. It made a difference to me that she owned it. The attending doctor talked me through the procedure regarding my old foot doctor, seems he has had problems before. I asked to get a new pediatrist to work with on my broken skeletal and muscle systems! I see her later after camp.

Ate very poorly after a good breakfast and a decent lunch. Getting better with the water. I did a lot of stretching throughout the day and did cold packs when I got home.

My artistic side didn't emerge today which is of no surprise.

W1 D2

How was Tuesday? Painful, but better emotional regulation. I stood up for myself with "The Gov't Man" and although it's still up in the air regarding approval, I know what's happening now.

Food was over calories by 500 with PB and a spoon being the culprit late in the evening. Water was decent although I would enjoy more. I walked in the park and did some incline push ups, dead hangs, and stretching of my hip capsule.

W1 D3

Spent all morning cleaning the gig house, packing, and then unpacking at home. I walked the dog up in the park for my neighbor. I didn't do as much stretching, but I did stop myself from overdoing it - said no to a path I knew had a hill section that would be too much for me right now. Win! After that, I laid down on my mat and did some mobility work and did some healing with energy. First time I let myself do that in a long long time.

I drove to my bestie's new apartment to visit while they use my car for boxes and me for motivation. I twisted my ankle in a grass-hidden trench along their driveway. I caught myself easily thanks to my new sense of balance, yay. I jolted my left side in doing so! F!uck! It took about 80 seconds for my body to go.. WTF T?!

I got an ice pack and laid down when we got back to her old place. I was there for a good 15 minutes and then tried to move around some. I didn't go all dykie by trying to carry light boxes in my condition which I sooo would have done before. I laid on the grass next to their porch at the new place while we waited for her sister and her boy. I didn't help with boxes again. Mind you, this is a bit like sugar for me. If I can't help with my strength, I'm worthless. It's the one thing I always relied on when I was younger. Saying no all afternoon was a definite win for me.

I helped them cleanse the apartment of old energies and gave the matron of the house a few pointers regarding what to let in the house and what not to energetically speaking. It was nice.

I did falter at the end of the day. I got a quaterpounder and chocolate shake at mcds. And I got 2 3 musketeers bars and 2 pb m&m packets. Dang!

I did drink water okay, but it still put me 811 calories over.

W1 D4

This evening, I am sitting on a deck with 2 little dogs and catching up with my posting (duh). Today was short in a way. I didn't get to sleep until about 3 or 4 am and I got up at 8:30 to get ready for this gig. I ate a cliff bar for breakfast and packed my stuff, I walked to the candy store and got 7 dark chocolate coconut clusters (did not eat them right off -win), and I went to get the car from the garage. I was in pain by the time I got there, but not horrendous.

I got back to the house and sat for a bit. I kept looking at my guitar - in the middle if the room (thanks Steve!). I finally picked it up and practiced some finger picking. I even had to tune it as I couldn't stand it out of tune. That's awesome for me as I usually can't discern it very well unless it's wicked obvious. Played for about 15 minutes.

I packed up my groceries and headed to the gig I'm at now. I haven't been able to walk them very far. I have done 4500 steps today, some with the pug and chihuahua! lol I took a nap after the walk and now with dinner fed to the pups and my coconut clusters enjoyed earlier, I am wondering what to eat. I think I'm going to cook up a cheese burger. I got some great angus beef on sale the other day so it should be quite tasty. I will also heat up some beets. A photo will be posted as evidence!

Note to self - put today in MFP.

• Like 4

22nd level Wanderer

The Way