Camp Time Challenge, Terinatum

Terinatum

Did that video ever make it your way?

Glad it was not a zero day and rest is good.

It did, thank you. I actually watch some of it last night. I like that it goes through the warm up with you so I don't have to remember everything and it's easier for me to follow-through with actually doing it. Thanks a bunch!

This morning I feel pretty good. The pain is basically minimal and my mood is up as well. Yay.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Glad you got it and hope it helps get you moving more.  I cringed at parts of it but just trusted it and used it once I put my bias aside (I am not that old and so on kind of unhelpful thoughts) and it helped.  I still do many of the range of motion/mobility exercises.  Beats not moving.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Glad you got it and hope it helps get you moving more.  I cringed at parts of it but just trusted it and used it once I put my bias aside (I am not that old and so on kind of unhelpful thoughts) and it helped.  I still do many of the range of motion/mobility exercises.  Beats not moving.

absolutely!

I'm going to play it again after I take my walk. I'm trying for the co-op and back. It's about a half mile there.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W something, D friday...

Keeping with the strange format, here I go again.

I am happy today. I bought a roll of rolos and a twizzler pack and I walked (to the farmer's market instead of co-op - closer), went to candy store after and got 8 coconut clusters, did a little bit of picking up around the house (visitors coming), and ate chicken and peas.

My friend came over and we chatted a lot and then went for a light lunch. I had my usual beef and veggie meal and then we got chocolate (I had 4 coconut clusters). We walked a bit and sat in the sun and talked more. We invited another friend to join us for the evening and when she got into town, we went and got burger and fries at a pub. We then went to an open message meeting of the local spiritualist group. We then went back to my place and ... yuppers, chatted more. Just now they left but not before getting me to the store for bananas, a piece of cake, and some ice cream. I just ate the cake and I will have the rest tomorrow probably.

Food aside, I did good things for myself today. I laid down when at home to rest my back and butt (did this 3 times) and took minimal pills (yay!). One message I got today was:

spirit guide: do you want to run again?

me: yes.

spirit guide: good. then make it happen.

me: Ah, got it.

I have been so upset with the VA that I haven't put any real effort toward small gains little Tai Chi and core exercises. I can't do a lot and that trips me up most times. I promptly jump to the excuse of, "If I can't do it like I want or use to, then screw it, i'm not doing it at all. AND it's the VA's fault for not getting me what I need soon enough." Really, T? That's what you're going with? Tsk tsk! *wags finger at self* It doesn't work that way, Self. It just doesn't get you the results you want.

Oh. So, I'm trying to come back to the mind of the beginner. What can I do and where do I want to go next?

I can:

walk a bit on cement or asphalt

walk more on dirt roads and paths

do stairs, going down, slowly

do stairs, going up on certain days, quite slow

do bridge exercises, slowly

get mobility work done on most of my back and some of my glutes

do self massage on tight muscles, calves especially

use hot and cold compresses as necessary

survive on less sugar

do Tai Chi

write, draw, and practice guitar

So let's do these things and get a routine going!! Yeah, okay.

• Like 4

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Today was blurry! lol

I remember mailing out something for a Nerd friend and doing laundry with a friend. Oh I bought food as well. That's a full day, right?! haha

I'm fat

My diet is not very good (at camp, it was epic - minus the brussel sprout I tried - the things I did to get CampNF badges!!!)

My hips are broken, but not as bad as I had feared

My back is easily fatigued

My orthodics are not helpful in the long run

I haven't run in forever

AND I'M OKAY WITH ALL THAT.

Because...?

I'm less fat than I was

My diet is under my control

My hips have found hope

My back will level up with my hips and my exercises

My feet have a new path to follow

Running is still a possibility

AND I'M HAPPY WITH THE PLAN!

(plan to be written out tomorrow evening)

Nite my Nerds! Love you all so much!

• Like 6

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

When you say broken, do you mean fissures in the actual bones or do you mean the region is not meeting full functionality?

I have no idea why this clarification is important to me.

mcpts7_th.jpg

"My hips are broken, but not as bad as I had feared"

Full functionality, definitely

I had assumed that I would be limited over the course of the Camp. I was getting winded so easily at home and when I tried to do more than a tiny bit, I got sore and had to sleep it off or take the rough meds. So, arriving at Camp after many hours around planes and buses, I figured I was done for, but it wasn't so bad. I think a lot of the pain was psychologically-enhanced by my PTSD tendencies.

I took most of the mobility classes with Kate G and really got some great knowledge of my body and ideas to correct it. I believe I can move from 'broken' to mended within 6 - 9 months of serious and consistent effort.

Areas in the hip that are having troubles:

piriformis, glute medius and minimus, tensor fasciae latae, (all at the illiac crest) and the glute maximus in regards to strengthening it via isolation exercises.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

The Journey to Camp

Tuesday night: no sleep! none.

Wednesday morning: I enjoyed a plane ride with a retired pilot. He had served in the Air Force and then did 25 years in commercial. We talked most of the way and watched the amazing clouds transform with all the weather we were experiencing. The last cloud formation looked like a dog standing on the ground. It was likely about 40 feet tall according to the pilot. Wow.

Spotted my first 2 Nerds getting on the plane in Charlotte. They are from Manchester, England. We flew into Atlanta and met a bunch more Nerds waiting for the bus to Camp. Shukar snuck up on me and we shared a great hug. I ate a Whopper with cheese and took 4 or 5 slurps of a chocolate shake and tossed the rest.

First Evening at Camp

Driving into Camp was great, we dodged the thunderstorm that was threatening us. And, Steve greeted us before we even got off the bus. I met Loren Wade while I was checking in. We chatted some when I first got on NF so that was way cool. He is as sweet as I remember. They delivered our suitcases to our sleeping spots which, after finding out where my cabin was, was a grand offer! Misty Mountain 2U is not to be sneezed at for its altitude! We headed to the HQ and grabbed our first of many delicious meals, shepard's pie made with sweet potato. Seriously nom nom. We did the opening ceremony and waved to a bunch of Nerds as Steve introduce them. He even threw a thank you up for the military Nerds! Thank you, Steve. The game room was already up and running and there was plenty to choose from. I played Cards Against Humanity for the first time, funny as f!ck!! I'm an old lady so I headed to bed around 10:30 I think. I unpack and snuggled into a surprisingly comfy camp bed.

What happened on Day Two, well!!

To be continued...

• Like 3

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I WANT ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT CAMP!!!!!!

epic achievement here: 1 week without the booze. plus a fridge full of low carb self-made foods. yay

lets hear, lets hear...... :onthego:  :onthego:  :onthego:  :onthego:

That's awesome!! I'm so proud of you and so very happy for you too! You are doing great things, FC. Just fantastic!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!  :onthego:  :onthego:  :onthego:  :onthego:

i am at home in the german section, but i will hang with the brits and americans also... my username is furchtloser nach ( that was a typing error.. its meant to be Bach ( which is fearless creek in german) so i started with a little f!ckup... lets DO THIS!!!!! more via pm...

• Like 1

Can I get two stomps and a clap in this b'tch!!

Tech N9ne rules!!

Hey Everybody!

I spent a wee bit of money in order to complete a very important aspect of my exercise world. What you ask? I finally have my Wii set up!!

Yep, that wee bit of money put a smart TV in my living room and gave me the chance to burn some calories boxing! I KO'd every opponent and I only got knocked down twice I think. I was sweating!! It was awesome. I got out of the shower and was like... I'M BACK!!

To-Do for Friday

• buy pipe and glass for pull up bar and picture, respectively
  • arrange living room to accommodate... you guessed it, the TV, Wii, and guitars!!
  • cook up sweet potatoes (cube and bake em up)
  • fill out camp survey
  • take a pile of stuff to second-hand store
  • play guitars
  • play Wii game
  • clean suitcases
  • eat as clean as desired
  • drink lots of water!!!
  • Like 4

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Day Two at Camp

Here there be dragons! Okay, no but! There were German longswords to be had! Okay, not to that too, BUT. Dakao did give us 1 inch diameter pvc pipe to mimic the longsword! He was a great teacher and there was a huge turnout. Some folks didn't get into either of the intro classes. Bummer for them, definitely.

Strike One! Very comfy, easy to understand. Sword at right shoulder, right foot back. Then, strike out in front of you as you land your right foot strongly ahead of you. Whip the tip around and snap it at the end! Wahh-pow! Sweet!!

Strike Two! Not as comfy, hands in the same position, but sword at your left shoulder. Ooh, weird. But at the end of the swing, same motions - just reversed, the sword (okay, plastic white pipe) felt strong in the finished position. Wahh-pow! Nice!!

Strike Three! and Strike Four came from low to high, slamming anything in its way up and away from you. HA! Oh snap!!

Then the whirligig helicopter move. Yeah, it's just what you're thinking! Zing, over the head.

Then we got to practice with each other. Epic!!

Dakao is now my boy crush!!

I had a blast in that class and it really solidified for me that Camp was gonna be just great!!

In the afternoon I was proven right again, with an awesome session of hip mobility with Kate G. Oh dear (insert higher power here), she knows her shit. I learnt stuff that I didn't even know existed!! Did you know, you can tell your heel to go further than it actually can, and it will?! I got up after and my left side was taller than my right!! So much room in that hip capsule!! WOW!! My body was sore-ish, but very thankful for the exercises and mobility tests that she ran us through. She's my girl crush!!

The food remained fantastic, I found Teros finally, and then I found Bekah too!! Yay!! I played 'Cards Against Humanity' which was a blast. I only got one picked, but the answers were just hilarious. Highly recommend that game! We shall not speak of the Mario Kart attempt made by Terinatum later in the course of the Camp. It has been washed from every witness' memory!! No, not good. Not good at all. hehehehe But who cares!!

Okay, so I didn't actually make a superhero costume and I was well above the average age so the first party night was a bit uncomfortable, but I asked the CNN reporter to dance and we did so that broke some of the ice and then "Footloose" came on and it was all over. Big circle, lots of movie moves? Bring it on!!

• Like 3

22nd level Wanderer

The Way