[JessOfAllTrades] Weathering the storm

JessOfAllTrades

she-stood-in-the-storm.jpg?w=1160

This rambling Ranger is visiting the Druids once again because something is starting to change. I've been on NF since December 2012, and have only completed a handful of challenges. My past year with the Rangers has been nothing but unfinished challenges and goals unmet. Last challenge, I came a little bit closer to completing, but once again did not. However, I am taking that little bit of improvement and running with it. I came to the conclusion long ago that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to succeeding, but have never really put much effort into addressing that. Now I am in the midst of the school year again, so work is slowly draining what little energy I have, and my depression is currently in full force. Now more than ever I need to be more mindful, work on my self-awareness, and practice some serious self-care.

So that's the plan. So before I get into my challenge goals, a bit about me:

• 29 years old
  • School Counselor by trade
  • Fan of lifting, yoga newbie, and personal desire to be able to run a 5k
  • Plays around with the primal style of diet
  • Likes Bioware games, tabletop RPGs, and making stuff
  • Fighter of mental illness stigmas

Main Quest:

Since the Main Quest has been introduced into challenges, I have focused on becoming the myth. In other words, being the best version of me that I can be in regards to health and life. Almost every challenge I have fallen short of my goals, but always made progress in the right direction. My quest for perfection has been terribly implemented (I'm sure that's a shocking thing to read /sarcasm). So the last time I participated I modified my main quest a little bit.

So, my main quest is: To be a better JessOfAllTrades.

It's a subtle change, but an important one. And I believe this now requires I get to know myself better in order to become a better JessOfAllTrades. It's hard to become who you are if you aren't sure what that all entails, right? So I hope to give myself the space to do that this challenge while strengthening areas that will make this process possible. So yes, there will be lots of time for self-reflection and affirmation, but I need to make sure I'm also mindful of how I'm taking care of myself.

Challenge Goals

For this challenge I will use the point system once again. It was a lot of fun to update my progress bars. I just need to make sure points are evenly distributed. And yes, I am using my Mass Effect gifs and pictures because dammit, it's my N7 year. And they make me smile. So, onto the goals:

1. Hydration

gallery_12015_403_47846.jpg

Well what to do know - my skin looks amazing when I am well hydrated. I actually had a few days of going to work wearing barely any makeup. It was awesome. Not to mention water is good for me and necessary for me to function. Also, better sleep and no headaches in the morning. So we need to keep it up drinking lots of water. Besides, how does one get through a storm without proper provisions? So I need to maintain good water-drinking habits, and do whatever it takes. If it means buying a water filter so be it - I can't put it off because of excuses and then complain how much I hate the taste of water. That's silly.

+2 for meeting water goal for the day (94 oz)
+1 for spacing water intake out throughout the day

2. Exercise
tumblr_nien3tsqDi1qkiv94o1_500.gif

Don't care how I do it, just need to get it done. I'm going to attempt 5x5 for lifting, look for a new 5k to run in, and continue yoga. The goal is a weekly yoga class and three gym visits altogether. Here goes nothing.

+1 for lifting
+1 for getting to the gym/working out

3. Eat Well
tumblr_nfareknn0e1r0c5gvo1_500.gif

Track your food and stop eating crap. Limit alcohol, sugar, and processed junk. Eat more veggies, fruit, and cook like there's no tomorrow.

+3 for cooking a meal
+1 for serving of veggies
+1 for serving of fruit

4. Identify Strengths, Stressors, and Solutions

I'm awesome, but right now I'm having difficulty believing that.

+5 for a blog post
+1 for posting on NF
+3 for identified stressor with a solution to try (can't just complain)

BONUS:

Yes. I'm not above bribing myself to get things done.

• Eye Exam (reward: Can buy a cute pair of glasses online after)
  • Find a Therapist and make an appointment (reward: Can sign up for another con to attend)
  • Go to the MVA and begin car registration stuff (reward: new pair of expensive jeans)
  • Clean car (reward: new converse)

Goal 1: Hydration

0%
0%

Goal 2: Exercise

0%
0%

Goal 3: Eat Well

0%
0%

Goal 4: SSS

0%
0%
  • Like 2

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Great goals ... I love your point system!

Thank you! I tried it out last challenge and loved it.

In other news - I went to the gym yesterday to lift! I dropped my numbers a bit for my working sets since I was doing 5x5. I also didn't finish and got frustrated with bench press. But still, I got my ass to the gym after weeks of avoiding it. I also weighed in, and found out that my crappy eating has not ruined my progress. I'm still down compared to where I was at the beginning last challenge (160/161ish), so that was some much needed encouragement. 

I also took the time to be aware of how I felt post-gym. I got dolled up to go out to a Doctor Who burlesque show in DC, and felt super confident. I need to really focus on how capable and wonderful I feel after lifting, even if my body still doesn't look how I want it to.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Hey girl, great goals!  Specific, and life-changing, lol.  I look forward to your journey with the 5K 'cause I've got one for me as well and I prefer weight lifting too.  I'm trying the Couch to 5K app.

I wish you the best of luck with finding a therapist.  I found one who is really excellent at picking out the negative thoughts that I wasn't aware of and getting me father than I could by myself.  It's a tough journey but one worth taking.  Kick that depression in the nards!

You are awesome!

YoureAwesome-Puppy.jpg

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Love the theme Jess!!

giphy.gif

Count me in as a follower of your success during this challenge

giphy.gif

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Oh, wow, reading your challenge goals, I felt like they could be my own. I'm also very much in the tracking + returning to what I know works + introspection = A better me? mode this time around. And, aside from the hydration (I drink water like it's my job), I could make any of your quests my own--hey, I even have getting an eye exam as a goal too! And, yes, cute new glasses are a good motivator! I wish I could have similar motivation for my goal of going to the dentist as well...

Also, this?: "I need to really focus on how capable and wonderful I feel after lifting, even if my body still doesn't look how I want it to." Yes!! I need to remember this. Lifting (and yoga!) make me feel strong and aware of my body in a good way. Thanks for the reminder! 

Are you doing a 5k this challenge? I do run that distance for my regular runs, but those have become few and far between lately. I was thinking that maybe signing up for a real 5k would motivate me to get back to it. At one time I was working on getting my time down to 30 minutes, but I'm well off that mark now. In fact, I think I would keel over if I tried to run a 5k in under 40 minutes right now. But, I'd like to get back to enjoying running again. It comes and goes for me, and lately it has seriously went.

Subbed, and looking forward to keeping up with all of the awesome going on with you over here with the Druids!

​

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Yay for modifying your main quest, I can really relate to the “perfection†part. Sometimes better actually is better than best since we put so (too?) much pressure on our self when we only want the “bestâ€.

Subbed!

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Lifting and yoga, ftw! I love that your challenge involves a bit of getting to know yourself. That's partially why I jumped from Ranger to Druid, as well. Knowing your motivations, pitfalls, and all that can make such a difference in success.

Good luck and kick ass!

STR 1::STA.5::DEX 0::WIS 1::CON 1::CHA 0

Previous challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60781-the-wee-terror-heads-into-battle/

Hey girl, great goals!  Specific, and life-changing, lol.  I look forward to your journey with the 5K 'cause I've got one for me as well and I prefer weight lifting too.  I'm trying the Couch to 5K app.

I wish you the best of luck with finding a therapist.  I found one who is really excellent at picking out the negative thoughts that I wasn't aware of and getting me father than I could by myself.  It's a tough journey but one worth taking.  Kick that depression in the nards!

You are awesome!

YoureAwesome-Puppy.jpg

Thank you! I do love C25K - I found it to be an excellent program. I'll have to reintroduce it once I find a race.

Yay, just in time too! Looks like a good challenge! :)

Danke!

Love the theme Jess!!

giphy.gif

Count me in as a follower of your success during this challenge

giphy.gif

Welcome mitch! And thanks for the ME love. :)

Subbing! I should put together a challenge of my own now that I'm 2 weeks into the school year...

You should! Hope the new job and new living space is going well <3

Oh, wow, reading your challenge goals, I felt like they could be my own. I'm also very much in the tracking + returning to what I know works + introspection = A better me? mode this time around. And, aside from the hydration (I drink water like it's my job), I could make any of your quests my own--hey, I even have getting an eye exam as a goal too! And, yes, cute new glasses are a good motivator! I wish I could have similar motivation for my goal of going to the dentist as well...

Also, this?: "I need to really focus on how capable and wonderful I feel after lifting, even if my body still doesn't look how I want it to." Yes!! I need to remember this. Lifting (and yoga!) make me feel strong and aware of my body in a good way. Thanks for the reminder! 

Are you doing a 5k this challenge? I do run that distance for my regular runs, but those have become few and far between lately. I was thinking that maybe signing up for a real 5k would motivate me to get back to it. At one time I was working on getting my time down to 30 minutes, but I'm well off that mark now. In fact, I think I would keel over if I tried to run a 5k in under 40 minutes right now. But, I'd like to get back to enjoying running again. It comes and goes for me, and lately it has seriously went.

Subbed, and looking forward to keeping up with all of the awesome going on with you over here with the Druids!

​

Wait wait wait wait wait. Is this Mac? As in, Mac who was a ranger and I used to follow when my user name of Jofalltrades and we had similar goals? How did I miss your reboot? It's awesome to hear from you! I am not signed up for a 5k yet, but I think I may have to so I can have some motivation. Glad to see you back!

Yay for modifying your main quest, I can really relate to the “perfection†part. Sometimes better actually is better than best since we put so (too?) much pressure on our self when we only want the “bestâ€.

Subbed!

Agreed! Besides, perfection is a silly thing - the journey is never over, right? Thanks for the sub!

Lifting and yoga, ftw! I love that your challenge involves a bit of getting to know yourself. That's partially why I jumped from Ranger to Druid, as well. Knowing your motivations, pitfalls, and all that can make such a difference in success.

Good luck and kick ass!

It's an awesome reason to join up with the druids. I definitely love the rangers, but I feel a lot more support here for goals such as that. Thanks!

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Of course I'm back even if I am quietly stalking in the corner :D

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

And how do you know it's been weeks since you last lifted - the quads are so DOMS it's not even funny. I have been waddling up and down the apartment stairs. Also, since I have a three day weekend I keep forgetting today is actually day one of the challenge. Oops?

Not as prepared as I should be, but I plan to use today to do just that.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

And how do you know it's been weeks since you last lifted - the quads are so DOMS it's not even funny. I have been waddling up and down the apartment stairs. Also, since I have a three day weekend I keep forgetting today is actually day one of the challenge. Oops?

Not as prepared as I should be, but I plan to use today to do just that.

I hate post leg day DOMS... i turn into a gimp who slowly stands up waddles around the house and up stairs, and just plops down when trying to sit because the struggle is real!

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

I really like how you are giving yourself extra points for spacing out your water intake.  Good planning! 

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I hate post leg day DOMS... i turn into a gimp who slowly stands up waddles around the house and up stairs, and just plops down when trying to sit because the struggle is real!

I know it will lessen in a few consistent weeks of lifting, but I hate getting back into it! After squats my legs hurt for days. I'm still a little sore and it's Wednesday. And I'm lifting again tonight, so... More DOMS

I really like how you are giving yourself extra points for spacing out your water intake.  Good planning! 

Thank you. It's really tough for me to remember to drink water. Monday and Tuesday weren't great in that regard, but I'm off to a better start today.

Haha, DOMS is just a receipt that you have trained hard. Keep on waddling!

True that!

• Like 1

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Challenge Update: Week 1: Day 1 & 2

1. Hydration

+2 for meeting water goal for the day (94 oz)
+1 for spacing water intake out throughout the day

Points Earned:

So I only made it to 64 oz both days, and I wasn't doing a great job at spacing out my water intake. However, two days of no points earned have inspired me to be more mindful today. As of now (9-ish) at work, I am 8 oz in to my first water bottle fill. Usually I don't remember to start drinking water till after 10!

2. Exercise

+1 for lifting
+1 for getting to the gym/working out

Points Earned:

Due to some awesome DOMs, I have put off a gym session till today. The goal is to go after work no matter what time I get home. I'm okay with this decision. But If I fail to go today I'm in danger of not meeting my 3x goal.

3. Eat Well

+3 for cooking a meal
+1 for serving of veggies
+1 for serving of fruit

Points Earned:
+2 for servings of veggies (Monday and Tuesday night dinners)
+3 for cooking (Tuesday night dinner. Can't take credit for Monday - my partner cooked)

Total: 5

Yay some points! Food has been going better overall. I'm having some trouble getting back into tracking. I started on Monday, failed to put dinner in, and didn't do any tracking yesterday. By taking time to make this post, I will go over to MFP now and begin tracking for Wednesday. Also, yay veggies.

4. Identify Strengths, Stressors, and Solutions

+5 for a blog post
+1 for posting on NF
+3 for identified stressor with a solution to try (can't just complain)

Happy thoughts:
  • Feeling a little less overwhelmed after last week at work, though still busy and stressed.
  • I played the DA:I Trespaser DLC and loved it - I highly recommend it to anyone who played a Dalish mage in a Solas romance for DA:I. If you have no idea what I'm talking about free feel to ignore. :)
  • Monday was a day off well used.

+3

Stressor: I have a student that I'm having difficulty with. Last week things ended on a really tough note. I have a plan for this week when we engage in our weekly session, have the support of administration, and realize that no one thinks less of me for getting emotional about the situation. My staff needs to remember I am human, things do impact me, and I cannot always be stoic when dealing with the insanity of life my students face. So I have acknowledged how last week's incident made me feel, and I know that I must approach this student with more structure to help him and to help me support him better in school.

... Sorry that's vague, but kind of has to be with job stuff.

+3

Total:

+6

BONUS:

Yes. I'm not above bribing myself to get things done.

• Eye Exam (reward: Can buy a cute pair of glasses online after)
  • Find a Therapist and make an appointment (reward: Can sign up for another con to attend)
  • Go to the MVA and begin car registration stuff (reward: new pair of expensive jeans)
  • Clean car (reward: new converse)

N/A

Goal 1: Hydration

0%
0%

Goal 2: Exercise

0%
0%

Goal 3: Eat Well

5%
5%

Goal 4: SSS

6%
6%
  • Like 3

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Not happy to hear about your work stress, which sounds more emotionally draining than the usual kind of work stress, but it's great that you could remind yourself of the support that you have around you and the fact that you are, you know, human. Hope that your weekly session goes the way that you want.

My work stress this week has been limited to the fact that my office is always full of carborific event catering leftovers, like ALL the time. SO stressful for me.

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver