• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
traaki

Traaki the Nereid seeks counsel, gets strong, and explores.

Hello! I'm Traaki, and this is my second challenge.  I'm new to the Assassins (obviously) but looking forward to meeting more guildmates. 

Main Quest:  I have some backlog of important stuff to take care of.  I feel like I'm knocking it down, slowly, but I want to amp that up and have these issues dealt with by the end of this quest. In a few months, I'd like to be absolutely crushing my bodyweight workouts, and these quests will help me get there. 

Quest 1:  Work on my dang knees.

+4 CON

+1 CON if completed before Week 3

As alluded to in my previous challenge, I've got a painful knee problem.  I've seen a PT who said it was a tracking problem.  I'd like to get a second opinion and start seriously working to fix this issue.  I also hate making appointments.  If I can get my knees in a functional state, I'll actually be able to do squats! And lunges! And ride my bike!  And most importantly:  I'll feel like a functioning human being again, instead of a decrepit horrible person.  And ain't nobody got time for feeling like that.

The steps required: 

• Find a primary care doctor who takes my insurance.
  • Make an appointment & get a referral.
  • Go to the physical therapist. 
  • Do the dang exercises. 

Measurement: A+ = Do exercises for at least 3 weeks, A = Do exercises to help my knees, B = Go to the physical therapist, C = see the new doc for a referral, D = find a new doc, F = do nothing.  

I'm going to allocate one extra stat point for getting this done early--last time I avoided making my appointments to the very end. 

Quest 2: Practice handstands 3 x week.

+1 STR +1 DEX

These will happen after my bodyweight workouts, and on Sundays. I used to take gymnastics classes and modern dance classes that asked me to do handstands, but I never felt super confident--if I stayed up it was more luck than skill.  So let's change that!  I'm allocating fewer points here because this doesn't contribute to my main quest very much--I'm just excited about it and don't want to wait. :)

Measurement: A+ = 19+ days, A = 18 days, B = 12 days, C = 6 days, D = 3-5 days, F = 0-2 days.

Quest 3: Do two bodyweight workouts each week.

+3 STR +1 DEX

I have one week left in the Level 1 NF Bodyweight Workout.  I'll finish that out and then move to the next level. Measurement: A = 12+ workouts, B = 9-11 workouts, C = 6-8 workouts, D = 3-5 workouts, F = 0-2 workouts

Life Quest: Make an appointment with my dentist, hair salon and bike shop.  

+3 CON, +1 CHA if haircut achieved by September 25

I only made half of my appointments last challenge, so I'm keeping it on here until these babies are DONE.  I added on my bike shop because I haven't been biking very much and I really want that to change.  I want to get my hair cut before September 25, because I'm teaching a workshop that week and want to look A+. 

Measurement: A = 3 appointments (and haircut before September 25), B = 2 appointments, C = 1 appointment, D = 0 appointments

Motivation: I'm looking to knock down some technical debt, sorta.  But instead of crappy old code, I'm talking about crappy old habits/issues that I haven't taken care of.  I want to get my knees and my bike into shape so I can resume my car-free ways. I want to keep up my bodyweight training because I'm starting to feel like I'm actually getting back into shape. 

So I did this as a recruit and found it useful for thinking things through, so I'm going to do it again:

1) Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?  Yes.  It is a bit weak because it's not very concrete or measurable, but there are very specific tasks I feel like I need to address ASAP and those are in Q1 and my LQ.

2) Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?  Q1, Q3 and my LQ all build toward my main quest of getting myself back in working order. Q2 is less so, but it's fun. I weighted it with fewer points since it's not directly contributing to my main quest.  

3) Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?  Yes. Q3 is what I've already been doing for the last 3 weeks, so this will just cement the habit.  Q1 is something I've been putting off for 5 years--breaking it down into these manageable steps with a timeline should help me get that taken care of.  Q2 doesn't have a specific goal other than to practice three times a week.  Two practice sessions will happen with my BBW workout sessions and the third will be on Sundays. I think the third session is most likely to be missed, but I want to give it a shot.

4) Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?  I am going to make another paper tracker like I did during my last challenge, which was very helpful and motivating. 

5) How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? I have a five-point grading system, and I tried to make sure I wasn't making it too hard to succeed.  Though I really want to get straight As, I know that I will be able to get a B in each of them.  I find that rewards are actually not helpful to me, so I'm not planning a reward. (The reward is finally having functional knees, getting better at handstands and continuing to get stronger!)

6) What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?  If I become ill, I should still be able to complete at least Quests 1 & 2.  Unless I'm sick for the entire challenge, I can make up the workouts from Quest 3 once I recover.  Depending on the injury, I may be able to continue anyhow.  If not, I will re-evaluate at that time. 

7) Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?  I'm going to be traveling during one of the weeks, and at the very end of the challenge.  I am also celebrating my 10 year anniversary during the challenge.  I will need to make sure I can modify the workouts for when I'm traveling--especially those last few days.  My anniversary is over the weekend which means I only need to worry about my handstand goal. 

8) Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?  Nope! In fact, getting my knees checked out will hopefully make the BBW easier. 

9) Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?  Yes, I do.  I have also set aside time on Sunday nights to plan when my weekly workout will happen, and to plan what I need, how I'm going to get there, etc. 

10) Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?  No--the only one that is habit-based is the bodyweight workouts. The others either have an endpoint or are just an interesting way to work on my health and strength. 

• Like 1

O hiya! We have much in common this challenge. Welcome to the Assassins!!! :D

Thanks!!! I checked out the challenge. Though I haven't read the Redwall books, I'm excited and it looks awesome!

Update after week 1: 

I got in both my workouts and all three handstand practices.  I finished my level 1 BWW workouts from NFA!  For some reason leveling up seemed hard so I just kept the same workout and increased the reps per set.  I'm going to take the opportunity to measure myself tomorrow before I start level 2 and see how my progress is going. 

I read the NF article about handstands, so mostly "handstand practice" = wall planks. I'm not afraid of handstands (childhood gymnastics go!) but let's just say my bodyweight has increased a lot more than my arm strength has since those halcyon days.  I would practice daily but at this point I think it's more strength training than skills training, so I'm going to stick with my 3 x week plan. 

I have not called...anybody.  No appointments.  I'm beginning to consider paying someone to make these calls since I clearly hate them. 

I didn't contribute as much as I had hoped to on the mini-challenge.  It was HOT this week and I chickened out. Looking forward to seeing what Mini #2 brings!

• Like 1

Ok, sooooo....last week was a doozy and I missed my check-in. BUT it was a moderately successful week. I wasn't able to contribute to the mini, but I'm hoping to get involved this week! 

I got in one of my bodyweight workouts/handstand practices--I was at a high elevation and whoo boy, could I tell.  So I'm one workout behind but am going to catch up this week.  

I am realizing that I basically only practice handstands when I'm already working out, so I think I'm probably only going to get 2 days out of 3 for most of the challenge.  That said, I'm going to leave my quest at 3 and maybe I'll be motivated to sneak in a few handstands on an off-day. 

I've been doing a bit of research into doctors and want to have one in place by the end of this week.  My other appointments are still TBD. 

Last time I said I would be taking new measurements, which are in my battle log. Not big changes but I feel fine about them so far since measurements aren't my goal.

And now...to crush the second half of the challenge!

OH--I should mention:  I was traveling last week for the first time since I started NF.  I'm pretty shy about my workouts, and in the past, travel has undone my hard work because I'm too distracted or shy to get my workouts done.  This time I recruited my sister to join me (which was a double win: I got a workout done while traveling AND I invited someone to join me which is a first).  So, even though I didn't get both workouts in, I feel good that I did one at all. 

Question for my more experienced assassin buddies: 

I know that handstands are, ultimately, a skill, and so I should be practicing them regularly.  I also know that right now I don't have great upper body strength and so they are also a strength exercise...which means I should rest between practice sessions, right? 

Basically I'm wondering when I can move from alternating days to every day practice.  It still feels hard to support my bodyweight, but....I'm impatient and want to be able to practice more. 

Thoughts? 

Try it out and see how it feels. If you notice you are too fatigued in the upper body to achieve much when you practice every day, switch back to every other day.

Try it out and see how it feels. If you notice you are too fatigued in the upper body to achieve much when you practice every day, switch back to every other day.

Thanks, Raptron. Once you said that, it was such an obvious answer--but I was stuck in my head.  I appreciate the advice!

I'm checking in! Missed last week but have been working away, slowly but surely.  

Q1 - KNEES: I hate this so much. I hate that my knees hurt, I hate that my first attempt at going to the doctor's office was thwarted, I hate the transition of moving somewhere new, I hate that I don't know where to go. UGH.

Okay, sorry, phew. I needed to vent. I still haven't progressed beyond finding the names of a few possible doctors.  The angry/frustrated part of me says it's not possible to make progress on this by the end of the challenge, but that part of me isn't being very helpful.  If I can get even one part of this challenge done, I will go from an F to a D--which is something! And I may not be able to see my doctor by the end of the challenge, but I could at least find out what my insurance will cover for physical therapy.  

Q2 - HANDSTANDS: I've been practicing about twice a week. I think if I include this on my next challenge, I'll be strong enough to do more, shorter practices and actually start to get good at the skill part!  I also need to start practicing outside--our house just isn't set up for handstands. 

Q3 - WORKOUTS: I've been hitting this one consistently.  I just finished level 2 of the basic bodyweight workouts and am considering starting one of the Darebee programs for the next challenge.  That said, I'm going to be traveling for the next two weeks and that has always been a really fraught time for my workout regime. So, I'm going to sit down tomorrow night and plan out my next four weeks of workouts, taking into account my travel situation--might end up doing the BBWW or might switch it up.  I am feeling confident that I'll be able to get my workouts in, but it's going to require a lot of focus and determination and twenty seconds of bravery.  

Q4 - APPOINTMENTS: See above about the doctor. I've found a bike shop I'm going to call and a dentist who seems alright.  So, time to just make it happen. 

I really want to get these boring/terrible appointments out of the way.  It's just weighing on me that I can't seem to get them done, and that's both frustrating from a progress perspective and disappointing from a self-discipline perspective.  If I can get the doctor appointment, the dentist appointment and the bike shop made, I'll feel a thousand times better.  

Yes, dig in and make those calls! You know you'll feel better after you do so, so use that incentive to get going on them. Sorry the doctor appointment situation is so fraught and complicated, but at least you can take care of the other two. Great job keeping up with your workouts!

I keep putting off finishing this up.  The summary is:

Q1: Failed, no points.

Q2: Completed 11, B-, +1 STR

Q3: Completed 12, A, +3 STR, +1 DEX

Q4: Failed, no points. 

From my participation in the Fellowship of the Ring: 

MQ #1: +1 STA

MQ #2: +1 STR

MQ #5: +1 DEX

I skipped the next challenge after this one (though I kinda kept up with it in my mind, I didn't set it up on here at all).  I'm excited to get back in the game with the new challenge format in January.