• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bouldersnap

Bouldersnap gets in touch with his kender side

Hi Assassins,

I've been a warrior here at Nerd Fitness for over a year now and have focused really hard on weightlifting and fat loss. It worked wonders, completely changed my life around.

Trying to grow beyond my SL 5x5 syndrome though proved challenging. I couldn't really grow beyond what I was doing in such a limited fashion.

Then I was introduced to the rings... which opened a door to body weight training I have completely ignored as an option in the past (Well I knew it was there, but I didn't really do anything with it).

Now my workouts are a full blown hybrid of weightlifting and body weight training - and I love the results. Sadly though, I felt the need to look beyond the Warrior's Guild for guidance. They are a great group of very focused individuals, but it is time for this kender to realize more of his full potential I think, and what the warriors can teach me about moving slabs of iron and stuffing my face, the assassins can teach me about a practical use for that strength.

SO I'm here to apply to the Assassins Guild...I might be a thuggish style of rogue... but I'm ready to be schooled.

Looking forward to a great challenge!

Bouldersnap

• Like 2

Well the challenge starts today, so I want to post my goals and stuff.

I've been working hard on real world strength lately as I drop body fat. I've been going along pretty well so far. Down to 190lbs and about 21%BF from 215 24% in July.

So Goals:

Goals 1: Continue to decrease body fat with my diet. My current diet is 1550 calories a day - bodyweight in protein, no chemicals or sugar, 100gr carbs. My maintenance is 2300ish so this is an aggressive cut, but its been working well and I plan to continue it until I get much lower in BF - Ch 2-con 2

Goal 2: Create a traveling full bodyweight routine. I have a week of traveling coming up mid October and having a full body weight routine as a standby when I don't have access to a decent gym will be crucial to maintaining momentum. I need to learn more about it, since in general I don't always feel I work hard enough when I do a bodyweight workout. (Wis 2, Str 2)

Goal 3: I'm obsessed with Chinups. I do them daily now that I can do 1. I'm determined to get it to 10. I'm up to 4 solid chained. So I'm gonna make it a goal this challenge to get to 7. (Str 1)

Life Goal: For my life goal I want to get back into my Pokemon games. Its been a while and the poor little guys are getting dusty. I know I'm behind and my "Gotta Catch Em All" side is missing them.

• Like 1

Headed to Vegas - Conference then a week drive to AZ to visit friends in Tuscon and the Grand Canyon slowly.. 1550 actually seems low, but I'm really aiming that low and landing closer to 18-1900 every day. Either way I'm still in a deficit LOL.

• Like 1

So here is where I am today... Workouts are going well. I am ADDICTED to chin ups. I do them practically everyday at this point. At least 1 set as far as I can take it correctly. 

I just love the way it makes my back feel.

The upside - I'm getting better at chin ups. I can string 4 now. This is helping my pullup. I can string 2 now.

BUT - the downside is when I have chinups in my regular schedule I now have to do a bunch of sets to feel like I worked enough. LOL. I guess that's not a bad thing.

My latest workout routine works relatively well. I get a decent workout 6 days a week. I'm never fully wiped, but I do feel sweaty and worked by the end of a session.

I started thinking about my bodyweight routine goal. I plan on packing my rings, and will hopefully find a place to hang them. I will be very disappointed if I can't find a place to do chinups. I want to start working on more gymnastic holds, but am having a realy hard time figuring out how to start doing them. For example, I can't even get into a top hold on the rings yet, let alone do any fancy holds with them.

I am working on increasing planks and such, and starting on more advanced versions of pushups.

I need to find a good resource for starting static holds... I sadly may need to invest in a stop watch. My phone works, but is inconvenient for these purposes...

On my 6 pack obsession front, I am still cutting and after doing the math assume I need to continue cutting until at least christmas. As I approach the bottom zone again, I need to be braced for my physique altering to skinny first - 10% and hold it for a few months to retrain my body... lord I must be out of my gourd...

• Like 1

Great job on the Deadlift, and on the cut.  I really like your protein/carb goals.  Are you still keeping at ≈ 100 gr carbs?

How are you doing on building a bw program?  There are a couple great programs here that should give you the challenge you are looking for.

Sorry about the belated welcome to the Assassins :)

• Like 1

Great job on the Deadlift, and on the cut.  I really like your protein/carb goals.  Are you still keeping at ≈ 100 gr carbs?

How are you doing on building a bw program?  There are a couple great programs here that should give you the challenge you are looking for.

Sorry about the belated welcome to the Assassins :)

Thanks and Hi,

I am still trying to stick to the 100 carbs. Most week days its easier. My diet is pretty boring and routine, since I set it with 10-0 carbs as the goal, I tend to hit it. I actually got a fall cold over the weekend, and I left myself eat what  I felt like as long as I stayed within maintenance. The carbs were glorious I admit.

Anyhoo, for bodyweight I'm still only working on pullups, dips, pushups and such. Every time I go to the gym I try to get up on the rings. Every day I fall. One day I will get up there... one day...

• Like 1

New Diet Experiment starting today. I'm trying out Intermitent fasting. I set my eating window from 2pm-10pm since that is when it is easiest for me to eat dinner with family.

I'm not sure what to expect honestly. I guess we will just see how it goes...

My eating window is a little larger than yours.  Nothing before 8:30 AM and all finished up by 7:30 PM.  Once you get in the groove it is easy peasy.  You just have to take care to get all of your cals in.  A smaller window means more cals/meal.

• Like 1

Has i worked for you? have you seen any positive changes from it? My calories are staying static (in a deficit) while I do this. I'm actually one of those weirdos that really has very little problem adhering to a prescribed diet once i decide to do it. Today being my first day, I just packed my normal breakfast with me for lunch and ate breakfast and lunch together at 2pm... then I ate dinner around 8 after my workout, then I ate a protein/cottage cheese bowl at 930. and I'm kinda done till tomorrow at 2. My total net calories are about 1550.

I read you are supposed to do alot of other things too, like work out fasted, carb cycle, calorie cycle... I might add more of those complicated features if this practice goes well. So far it was nothing. i wasn't even really hungry. I mean I got hungry around noon, but nothing unbearable or anything. I just had a small feat at 2, (like 1100 calories) It settled weird, but after my workout, I was ready for dinner without an issue.

It feels... too easy. Like I should be experiencing crazy hunger for it to be doing anything. Or is this just like chasing the pump? No gain really from a pump, just a nice high...

• Like 1

Quest Update and Diet Progress Question:

For my diet I'm at a steep deficit. My TDEE is 2300, My current intake is 1550. Its very low, but they weight IS falling off. the question. Will slowing the cut down help me retain muscle? I'm not sure, but am a very impatuent man, and if I slow down my cut I want to be sure its worth it. The info on the message boards conflicts with itself so its hard to determine. I hate experimenting with my diet... its so nerve wracking.

Onto goals, I started working on handstands this week and pistol squats. Very early stage work but still, some awesome body weight work that deserves those dex points!

• Like 1

Has i worked for you? have you seen any positive changes from it? My calories are staying static (in a deficit) while I do this. I'm actually one of those weirdos that really has very little problem adhering to a prescribed diet once i decide to do it. Today being my first day, I just packed my normal breakfast with me for lunch and ate breakfast and lunch together at 2pm... then I ate dinner around 8 after my workout, then I ate a protein/cottage cheese bowl at 930. and I'm kinda done till tomorrow at 2. My total net calories are about 1550.

My eating schedule is part of a larger plan and I'm really not sure how much it has contributed to my success.

Your next post mentioned your calorie deficit and questioned the sustainability of that large a deficit. You are going to have to pay close attention to your body. So long as you are able to maintain energy levels and endurance,and make with your workouts, you should be fine. Make double sure you are getting enough protein. If you stall, boost Val's for a few days and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Today is an angry day.

I have no problem adjusting my body weight at this point in my adventures. Its no big secret, its no magic pill.

A friend called me in tears last night. I could hear her scraping a pudding cup with a spoon in the background. She had gastric bypass surgery to help her lose some seriously obese weight. She has started to gain the weight back after what is, in my opinion, dangerous body damaging surgery.

She is a good friend, and has watched me drop and gain weight at will. I tried so hard to be patient. She said I have good genetics. I explained my blind as a bat eye sight, crooked teeth, kidney stones, and family history beg to differ.

She blamed her genetics, then she blamed her parents, then she blamed God.Exaaperatedand an hour later she asked what she needs to do to stop gaining weight back.

In the background I could still hear the spoon in the pudding cup, scraping. The only sound breaking the silence on the line.

I was blunt. Probably too blunt.

"what are you eating?"

"sugar free pudding"

"how much"

"1 little cup"

"for an hour? lie to me, lie to your doctor, but dont lie to yourself"

"what do you mean"

"put down the spoon"

I heard it hit the table.

"80% of your problem is a poor education about food and nutrition. you eat too much. what you do eat is barely food. it might be edible and delicious, but it is not food and is void of nutrition. you wanna lose weight? you dont want to undo fat loss surgery? step 1: put down the spoon."

"you dont have to be mean"

"well being nice isnt helping you. you are what you eat. Stop shoveling crap in your face and you wont look and feel like crap"

She hung up.

a later facebook requested my apology, politely mind you, with an offer of forgiveness. how christian.

I unfriended her, someone ive known for almost 20 years. ive now ignored 2 phone calls.

A friend called for her just before i posted this, to tell me I was a dick for her. I sent this message back.

"when you stop abusing yourself I will be here to help you heal. i wont be a part of you hurting yourself anymore though."

Sorry - alot of drama this early on a monday. it hurts, but for her sake, i hope it was worth it.

• Like 2

Maybe your conversation will be the catalyst that changes her relationship with food, or it's the end of a long term friendship.  Hopefully it's the former

At my heaviest I was 289 and at the beginning of my following the Primal Blueprint I was 251.  I've been maintaining at 160 ± for about 4 or 5 months now.  I'll send you my email address if you want to send it to her and I can share what worked for me.

I had a whole mini rant typed up about blaming everything on genetics, but it wouldn't have been very productive.  When I was fat I just took after my Dad... enough said.

• Like 1

That was the best thing you could do for your friend. Gastric bypass is a horrible thing in the hands of people who have not learned to,change,their nutrition habits. I have had so many aquintinaces that have had it and just learn to eat their crap in smaller quantities to get around the bypass and keep feeding,their body,with crap.

You have worked very hard to lose what,you have. You have some serious willpower and a good knowledge of what feeds your body. It is frustrating for me to lose as slow as I have but I know I am not going to gain it back and I am changing my eating habits. I have made huge strides in what I grab if feeling stressed and I count that as a big victory just as I would weight loss.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. She hasn't reach back out to me for a bit. She'll cool off or she won't. It is what it is.

On to bigger and better things.

End of month: I hit 187lbs yesterday. That's an achievement. waist is down to 35.5. Chest - is not going down this time around. I guess the incline bench presses and 4 million pushups are paying off.

Here is to a great October!

• Like 2

Woot! Woot!

Such a beautiful fall day here. High will be 68 and bright and sunny! Tearing out the garden today and,doing some landscaping. Maybe even a few extra push ups in your honor.

So I've been keeping up. Trying a stint at maintenance. I have to travel alot this October and I figure "Maintenance or less" is a better approach than "strict diet" to keep on course. I've kept up with my workouts. I only missed one cardio day yesterday.

But today I ate donuts.

I have failed my kingdom, and my countrymen. I shall submit myself for beheading as soon as possible...

• Like 1