Pumpkin starts rolling

Pumpkin Pi

So, I'm about to set out on my mission ... quest ... thing. My very first NF Challenge to become a stronger, smarter, more badass me! I'm both excited and torn. Why am I torn? Well, there are so many things I want to do and accomplish. So many areas I want to be badass in. And my current fitness challenge seems to be conflicting with my alter ego, as it were. In RPGs, I almost always play a Night Elf ranger, or something close to it. But my first goal in real life seems to be to get stronger, which is more of a warrior thing. Not that it's a bad thing, but I almost never play as a warrior in games. I am never a tank ... more of a DPS. I'm sure it doesn't matter that my RL character (i.e. me) is different from my in-game character, but you know, I always kinda imagined that if I could bring my RPG character to life and be that character, I would be some kind of live-off-the-land, totally kickass-in-the-wild rangery person. Except IRL, I hate running, only doing it to supplement my other fitness goals, just so I don't run out of breath after a few punches or kicks. I love muay Thai and am discovering an attraction to lifting heavy things. In games, I also almost never play a monk, either. Haha. Kinda weird how my RL character is nothing like my RPG character.

Nevermind. I know I can always change paths. I guess that's why there's the Recruit Guild ... for people like me, just starting out and not really having a clear direction. So, here goes. Here's my first 6-week challenge, although mine's gonna be more of a 5-week challenge, since in the final week of the SWC, I'll be at a friend's wedding in Scotland and there's no way I'm gonna be able to do my challenge, at least not all of it. So, I'm gonna grade myself based mostly on a 5-week timescale.

General main fitness quest: Be stronger and more cardio fit. I love being strong, but I hate running so I tend to become out of breath and get tired easily. Like when doing muay Thai, I tend to punch and kick hard in the beginning and then lose my power quite early on on account of being exhausted.

Main fitness quest: Do one pull-up by the end of the year (2015). I have always always wanted to be able to do pull-ups but haven't really tried for it. This time, the pull-up will be mine!

So, here are my SWC quests:

Quest 1: Strength train 3x per week (for 5 weeks). This will be based on what my PT gets me to do at the beginning of the week, and repeated over the course of the week, with some additions specific to chin-up and pull-up goals.

Measurement: A = trained 15/15 days, B = 10/15 C = 5/15

Attribute: 2 STR

Quest 2: Run non-stop for 30 min once a week (for 5 weeks).

Measurement: A = 30 min 5 times, B = 30 min 4 times or 20 min 5 times, C = 30 3 times or 20 min 4 times

Attribute: 2 STA 1 STA

Quest 3: Be able to do 50 toe press-ups in 1 go (with no more than 5s pause in between).

Measurement: A = 45-50 toe press-ups, B = 40-44 toe press-ups, C = 35-39 toe press-ups

Attribute: 2 STR

Quest 4.1: Be able to do 1 chin-up. I will try chin-ups every time I'm at the gym (negatives, pulling as far as I can go, assisted, etc.) until I get that first chin-up.

Quest 4.2: Do 10 min of chin-up tries 4x a week (for 5 weeks).

Measurement 1: Not really sure how to grade this one. Pass/fail.

Measurement 2: A = 18-20 days, B = 16-17, C = 14-15

Attribute: 1 STR

The quest to eat better:

NutriQuest 1: Eat 5 portions of fruit/veg a day.

Measurement: A = 5 portions, 35 days; B = 5 portions, 30 days; C = 5 portions, 25 days

Attribute: 1 CON

NutriQuest 2: Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

Measurement: A = 8 glasses, 35 days; B = 8 glasses, 30 days; C = 8 glasses, 25 days

Attribute: 1 CON

Main Life Quest: Get academic promotion - to Assistant Professor

Life Quest 1: Finish off current research project

Measurement: A = 90-100% finished; B = 80-89% finished; C = 70-79% finished

Attribute: 1 WIS 2 WIS (Edited at end of week 3)

Life Quest 2: Write-up lecture documents - 4 chapters in 5 weeks (on holiday during week 6).

Measurement: A = 4 chapters; B = 3 chapters; C = 2 chapters

Attribute: 1 WIS (cut this one out at end of week 3)

Well, that's it. Hopefully it's a reasonable first challenge. Would be very grateful for any advice, especially on how to measure the chin-up quest.

Also, should I be assigning attribute points now, or should I wait 'til after week 3?

• Like 2

Pumpkin Pi: Level 1 Night Elfling (respawned September 2019)

0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 CON | 0 WIS | 0 CHA

Challenges: Respawn: Current (16 Sep-20 Oct 2019) | Original: 2nd (2 Nov-14 Dec 2015), 1st (14 Sep-25 Oct 2015)

Well, that's it. Hopefully it's a reasonable first challenge. Would be very grateful for any advice, especially on how to measure the chin-up quest.

Also, should I be assigning attribute points now, or should I wait 'til after week 3?

You aren't new to sports, are you? Then it sounds reasonable to me. There is a lot of exercise going on here. Just give yourself soom room to wiggle and think of a plan B if you get sick during your challenge.

For the chin-up quest you can say

1) I want to be able to do one ate the end of the challenge fail/win

2) I want to try doing them ten minutes a day

5-7 / 7 days = A

4 / 7 = B

3 / 7 = C

You get points after three weeks. But you can write down how many points to get for the quests now. I hope this makes sense.

And hey, we are almost all hybrids. I'm a monk druid hyprid. A warior monk sounds totally fine to me. If you want to, you can visit the Monk's Courtyard and chat with us :)

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70757-the-courtyard-monks-general-chat-thread/page-1

Good luck and best wishes for your challenge :) I'll be rooting for you.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

You aren't new to sports, are you? Then it sounds reasonable to me. There is a lot of exercise going on here. Just give yourself soom room to wiggle and think of a plan B if you get sick during your challenge.

For the chin-up quest you can say

2) I want to try doing them ten minutes a day

And hey, we are almost all hybrids. I'm a monk druid hyprid. A warior monk sounds totally fine to me. If you want to, you can visit the Monk's Courtyard and chat with us :)

Good luck and best wishes for your challenge :) I'll be rooting for you.

Thanks, Luciana! :) I'm not new to sports, but I've been doing the whole 6-months on, 6-months off kinda thing with exercise. I usually stumble around December ;) Then I get lazy for many months until I decide to pick myself back up around June, and it starts again. This time I'm determined to not let the festive season be my undoing.

So ... what kind of wiggle room do people go for? I had a quick scan around at people's posts and didn't really find anything. I just thought that if I didn't do the quests for whatever reason, then my grade would just reflect that. :confused:

As for the chin-ups, I think I'll go for trying 4x a week, since that's the number of times I plan to be in the gym for my other quests (I don't have a bar at home).

And I'll definitely pop by the Monk's Courtyard. Actually I've already been kinda lurking behind the pillar in the shadows watching the monks in training there. :ph34r:

Challenges: Respawn: Current (16 Sep-20 Oct 2019) | Original: 2nd (2 Nov-14 Dec 2015), 1st (14 Sep-25 Oct 2015)

Just a thought: do you enjoy cycling? Maybe your real life Night Elf Ranger does his kickass-rangery-in-the-wild stuff on a mountain bike?

Actually ... yeah! :)

I've been thinking about it for a while and keep toying with the idea of cycling to work, but I live in the middle of Bangkok, and I'm kinda loathed to go out and get crushed by a bus. I've been out to the national parks and seen a whole load of super fit people cycling up the mountain there. I don't have a lot of time to get out into the countryside just now, but maybe something for a future challenge. (BTW, I'm a she ;))

• Like 1

I can currently do 10 toe press-ups in one go, so I've changed to progress bar to reflect that.

I've also added some tentative attribute distributions:

5 STR in total

2 STA in total

2 CON in total

2 WIS in total

-------

11 ATT

+4 at levelling up time.

Hmmm ... maybe I should have fewer quests next challenge so I don't spread my attributes out too thin.

But I think I'll keep this set-up for this challenge anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what class you do end up with! I'm also planning to be a "live-off-the-land, totally kickass-in-the-wild rangery person" but I'm most drawn to the assassin class. Maybe parkour could be a cardio thing for you to do in your urban habitat - sounds like monotonous endurance like running is not quite your thing, and it would tie in with a lot of the Monk attributes!

• Like 1

Thanks, Luciana! :) I'm not new to sports, but I've been doing the whole 6-months on, 6-months off kinda thing with exercise. I usually stumble around December ;) Then I get lazy for many months until I decide to pick myself back up around June, and it starts again. This time I'm determined to not let the festive season be my undoing.

So ... what kind of wiggle room do people go for? I had a quick scan around at people's posts and didn't really find anything. I just thought that if I didn't do the quests for whatever reason, then my grade would just reflect that. :confused:

As for the chin-ups, I think I'll go for trying 4x a week, since that's the number of times I plan to be in the gym for my other quests (I don't have a bar at home).

And I'll definitely pop by the Monk's Courtyard. Actually I've already been kinda lurking behind the pillar in the shadows watching the monks in training there. :ph34r:

Cool. You are right. Training four times a week and not six times is some room to wiggle. I often add that it's ok to go three times, too, because I'm the person who would abandon the mission when it didn't work out. Or at least it gets jarder for me. In fact I only dropped a challenge once, because studying got in the way.

Some people need strict plans and others seem to need room for improvement. You'll find out what's best for you.

It's only important to have a plan B. A lot of people get sick during a challenge or live gets in the way. Depending on your goals you could focus on your eating habits than until you get well again. You will learn more about it during one of the mini-challenges.

And we'll be happy to hear from you. ;)

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

tumblr_n3bc3tloyp1rpbzz1o3_r2_500.gif

I'm keeping an eye on you.  

(and there are a lot of DPS style warriors  :playful: )

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I really love your username. Times 1,000+

You have some really excellent goals ready to conquer and you will do excellent with them!

So, I'm about to set out on my mission ... quest ... thing. My very first NF Challenge to become a stronger, smarter, more badass me! I'm both excited and torn. Why am I torn? Well, there are so many things I want to do and accomplish. So many areas I want to be badass in. And my current fitness challenge seems to be conflicting with my alter ego, as it were. In RPGs, I almost always play a Night Elf ranger, or something close to it. But my first goal in real life seems to be to get stronger, which is more of a warrior thing. Not that it's a bad thing, but I almost never play as a warrior in games. I am never a tank ... more of a DPS. I'm sure it doesn't matter that my RL character (i.e. me) is different from my in-game character, but you know, I always kinda imagined that if I could bring my RPG character to life and be that character, I would be some kind of live-off-the-land, totally kickass-in-the-wild rangery person. Except IRL, I hate running, only doing it to supplement my other fitness goals, just so I don't run out of breath after a few punches or kicks. I love muay Thai and am discovering an attraction to lifting heavy things. In games, I also almost never play a monk, either. Haha. Kinda weird how my RL character is nothing like my RPG character.

This does not sound particularly un-ranger-y to me. I'm a martial artist with my primary focus on strength right now, and I'm a ranger. Wait and see where you fit in best.

Good to have you around.

"What's the goal here?  What's the lesson here?  What's the best use of my time right now?" <-- Rory Miller's "three sacred questions"

"Lacking in humility?  Don't worry, the bar will give you some." <-- Me.

HedgeMage, Orc Ranger

Battle Log | IRL Info

This does not sound particularly un-ranger-y to me. I'm a martial artist with my primary focus on strength right now, and I'm a ranger. Wait and see where you fit in best.

Good to have you around.

Yay! I may yet become a ranger. :D Although, I'm not too averse to being a monk or warrior either now. All the guilds are cool!

Just thought I would pop in and say hi and good luck - I am also starting my first challenge and look forward to reading your updates over the next 6 weeks!

Heya, and thanks! Good luck with yours too. Will pop over to your challenge and leave a wee note. :)

Wow, with the challenge in full swing, I barely have the time or energy left over at the end of the day to update on it. So, anyway, here's my progress report for the first two days:

Day 1

Q1 & Q4.2: Did 45 min strength training with trainer, then 15 min chin-up tries (mostly negatives), followed by 30 min kicks on heavy bag (1x ea side, 2x .... 10x, 9x .... 1x + some hard kicks).

Q3: Did 10 toe press-ups

NQ1: managed 11 glasses of water! Wow, it's doable if I just put my mind to it!

NQ2: 6 portions of fruit/veg. My body was sure happy for all those vitamins!

LQ2: a tiny bit of a chapter. Really need to do more.

Day 2

Q2: Did 30 min run non-stop. Yay! Got it out of the way early in the week. May even manage a 2nd run if my hubby drags me to the park on Saturday morning (a long shot, mind).

Q4.2: Did 10 min chin-up training. Negatives and a couple of just hanging there and trying to pull myself as far as I could.

NQ1: managed 12 glasses of water! I was thirsty today!

NQ2: 6 portions of fruit/veg. If I keep this up, I might turn into a plant!

LQ2: a bit more of a chapter. Probably have about half a chapter now. Really really need to do more.

Day 3: still morning, but have done my strength & chin-up training ... and managed 21 toe press-ups! That was after my work-out. Maybe I should try the press-ups before I tire myself out. Have also had half of my water and fruit&veg portions, too. Still, not a bad start to the day. Lots of work to do!

I don't think I'll manage a daily report. Maybe I should just go for reporting at the end of the week, or twice a week if I have time. Better get on with work now then. Those life quests need done too!

• Like 1

Hello!  Echoing Luciana's invitation to speak up in the Courtyard. You're very welcome. 

The Rangers are quite cool too.  Jump between Guilds as your focus shifts each challenge if you want :-)

Your first three days went very well.  Congrats on the press up progress!  Report in only as you feel like.

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Yikes! Where did the time go? I suppose I'd better report back on my first week. I was absolutely shattered at the end of it! Gave myself a much need break, and spent all weekend playing Dragon Age. :tongue:

Alright ... week one, picking up from day 3:

Day 3

Q1 & Q4.2: check.

Q3: managed 21 press-ups

NQ1: 11 glasses of water

NQ2: 9 portions of fruit/veg!

Also did muay Thai training at the end of the day (not part of challenge, though).

Day 4

Much needed break from exercise!

NQ1: 12 glasses of water

NQ2: 5 portions of fruit/veg

LQ1: about 5% of research

Day 5

Q1 & Q4.2: strength training + chin-up training. Check.

Q3: Only managed 10 press-ups :( End of week ... no energy left. lol

Also muay Thai training after work.

NQ2: 5 portions of fruit/veg

Days 6 & 7

NQ1: 8 glasses of water Day 6; 9 glasses Day 7

NQ2: 5 portions of fruit/veg each day

Drinking enough water and eating enough fruit and veg seem to be so much harder to manage during the weekend when I'm plonked in front of the computer playing games all day. Hmmm ...

Still, all in all, I did well on all my exercise and nutrition quests during week 1. A bit behind on the life quests. Really need to pick up the pace on those ones. I hope I'm not doing too much exercise and tiring myself out for work.

• Like 1

Mini-Quest 1

Week 1 - Let's Get SMART

So you've set up your challenge and people have popped in and said hi, given you some advise on your goals and just generally cheered you on for the start of your challenge. There's so much information to go that sometimes it seems like you're being overwhelmed.  How do I allocate attribute points?  Which guild do I join? What should my workout look like? Can I join an Accountability Squad?

You don't need to worry about these things right now.  What you do need to worry is your challenge.  For this first week you should be focusing on your own quests.  Once you're comfortable with them you can move onto other questions. Your mini quest this week will to really really look at your goals and make sure that they're SMART. 

= Specific

= Measurable

= Attainable/Achievable

= Realistic/Reasonable

= Timeous

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? Yes. Aiming to do 1 pull-up by the end of the year should be attainable (hopefully ;)). As for the general fitness quest to be stronger and more cardio fit, well, all the strength exercises I'm doing are helping towards that, and the 30-min run a week is making me more cardio fit. I can see my body changing shape and it's brilliant! I can see more muscle definition, and I can feel it too! I'm not as out of breath running up stairs to the skytrain platform. The muay Thai warm-up run doesn't kill me. Granted, this isn't just from doing one 30-min run. I've started exercising regularly again since the beginning of June. But I can see and feel the difference. So, yes, my overall quest is definitely achievable.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? Erm ... I've got more than 3 quests, but they do help towards my main quest, and general fitness goals. I do hope I'm not taking on too much, but I seem to be managing.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? They are certainly challenging, but certainly realistic. That's kind of why I broke the sub-quests down into manageable ones.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? Yes, most of them are tracked by number of days of training, or time spent on those days (like running non-stop for 30 min & 10 min chin-up tries). Some, like the press-ups, are by progression - as in, how many I can do in one go. I am writing these down in a table in a notebook (yup - old school paper, a pencil and coloured pens, ruler ... the lot).

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? The chin-up is pass/fail. The others are number of days training and time spent training: generally going for 90% is A, 80% B, 70% C. The ATT points are part of the reward (I love RPG & levelling up) :) Also, if I do well during the week, then I get to play computer games during the weekend.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? I have already planned for a 5-week grading since I'll be on holiday during week 6. As for illness or injury, if it happens, I'll do a recalculation of the total (taking out injury/illness time) and work out 90%, 80%, etc from the new totals.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? Yep - on holiday week 6, so grading myself on a 5-week scale.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? I don't think so, although if I spend too much time in the gym then I might not be as efficient at work or have less time at work. I will need to cut down on extra training (outside my allocated time) and be fast about showering and stuff - not just leisurely spending time in the steam and ice rooms after exercise.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? Yes.  Mon, Wed, Fri mornings are strength days, Tue morning is running (if I can't do that, then can do Thu or Sat). Wed, Fri after work are muay Thai classes (although not part of this challenge).

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? I'm trying to focus on my main quest, but I am also trying to build multiple habits. Since my current main quest is to do one pull-up by year's end, I'm trying to focus on that. But I also need to be more cardio fit so I don't get exhausted too quickly in muay Thai training, hence the 30-min run at least once a week. Also, just to keep up my fruit & veg and water intake, which I neglect if I don't actively make myself think about it. So, putting those in the challenge means I keep reminding myself to have a piece of fruit or drink that water that's been sitting my glass for ages. Of course, I also have work to do and I find it difficult to get on with research if I don't actively schedule it in (there's always some other work that needs to be done), so putting that in my challenge is a good kick up the backside to do it.

Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART. They are! :D

For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

• Like 3

Looks like week 1 went well!

Hold the phone...you played Dragon Age all weekend? Inquisition? I'm a HUGE BioWare fan! :D Heh, slightly off topic, but that's awesome haha

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

Looks like week 1 went well!

Hold the phone...you played Dragon Age all weekend? Inquisition? I'm a HUGE BioWare fan! :D Heh, slightly off topic, but that's awesome haha

Strangely enough, I'm only just playing the first one. I've played all the Mass Effects, but somehow never got round to DA, even though I've had it for ages, which is weird 'coz I love RPGs. Hooked now, though!

• Like 1

Week two progress report (Mon-Fri):

Day 8

Q1 & Q4.2: Did 10 min chin-up training before my PT session, as he said he was gonna be a bit late. Then, it was all about upper body training, with my trainer getting me to do a whole load of lat activation exercises to try to help me with the chin-up and pull-up training.

Q3: 20 toe press-ups at the end of training.

NQ2: 7 portions of fruit & veg

Day 9

Q2: ran non-stop for 30 min. I'm always so glad when this one is over. Really don't know what my major malfunction is when it comes to running. Still, did it, starting at 6 km/h then upping it to 6.5 km/h at 25 min, 7 km/h at 28 min and something like 8.5 km/h with 30 sec to go, finishing off with a cool down fast walk (around 5.5 km/h) for about 3-ish minutes (until the end of my song).

Didn't manage chin-up training 'coz had to hurry to work.

Day 10

Q1 & Q4.2: 10 min chin-up training & strength training

Q3: Did 30 toe press-ups! Woot! Woot! (with a couple sec stretch after 20, as my lower back was starting to hurt) It seems Wednesday's my strongest press-up day (based only on 2 data points, I know, but ... well, we'll see next week).

Q4.2 from Day 9: Didn't do chin-up training on Day 9, so got back to the gym early before muay Thai class and did the 10-min chin-up training before class.

NQ1: 16 glasses of water? Is that possible? Could've miscounted, but I did drink A LOT of water that day. Was so thirsty after all the exercise. And it was a really hot day.

NQ2: 6 portions of fruit & veg

Day 11

no training ... and relax ...

LQ1: got a bit of research done

Day 12

Q1 & Q4.2: didn't manage to make it to the gym first thing in the morning as wanted to get a lot of work in, so went to the gym well before muay Thai and did a slightly reduced strength training session + 10 min chin-up training. Still, I think it counts as I did do it, albeit slightly less of it. Rather than doing 45 min strength training plus 10 min chin-up training, I did 30 min strength training + 10 min chin-up training. That's gotta count, right?

Went to muay Thai class after a 40-min break after strength training. I was tired! Didn't try anymore press-ups, and thankfully the instructor didn't make us do any. Phew!

NQ1: 10 glasses of water

NQ2: 5 fruit & veg

LQ1: spent all day doing research, so I'm gonna estimate another 10% done.

Yay! Another successful week! Still have the weekend to get the water, fruit and veg in but I'm confident I can do it. Will edit this post tomorrow after I've had my last portions.

Edit:

Days 13 & 14

NQ1 & NQ2: completed

• Like 3

General main fitness questBe stronger and more cardio fit. I love being strong, but I hate running so I tend to become out of breath and get tired easily. Like when doing muay Thai, I tend to punch and kick hard in the beginning and then lose my power quite early on on account of being exhausted

Yeah so I'm right there with ya. I have no cardiovascular fitness to support the power I have behind my punches in the beginning of a form. 30 seconds in and I'm dead. And like you I have like this seemingly never-ending list of accomplishments I want to attain and that can feel so daunting so its good to just zero in on one or two from the list and contract selective amnesia about all the others. lol

Rooting for you to get that perfect pull up. Rawr!  :tyrannosaurus:  :tyrannosaurus:

• Like 1

"You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be."

Race: Hybrid Elemental Dragon Spirit || Class: Recruit following the Monks around

Attributes:  0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 WIS | 0 CHA | 0 CON

Track my first challenge here

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Suck it up and SHINE: Perfect my Morning Ritual daily

7%
7%

Become a Strong Lady Ninja 5-6 days/week

40%
40%

Become a Flexible and Agile Lady Ninja 2-3 days/week

36%
36%

Eat Real Food, 90-110g protein/day

41%
41%

Week 3 has been a crazy week! I took leave off work just so I could properly concentrate on my research, with no one to bother me. Still, it's been tiring, to say the least. I think I'm gonna have to modify my quests since there's no way I'm gonna be able to get my research AND my chapters done. So anyway, the research is more pressing right now, so I'm gonna have to cut out the chapters for now. I still think it's fair to reallocate the WIS I would've got from writing the chapters to the research, though, 'coz I've been spending crazy hours on it. So, the original thread will be edited to reflect this change.

Fitness-wise, because of the hours put into work, I nearly didn't get all my quests completed, but managed to in the end! Phew! I think it helped that I needed a break from working so going to the gym to do my quests was the way forward.

Here's the week's report:

Week three progress report:

Day 15

Q1 & Q4.2: Trainer was late again! So did 15 min chin-up training, followed by strength training with the trainer.

Q3: 21 toe press-ups while waiting for the trainer (after the 15 min chin-up training)

NQ1 & NQ2: 10 glasses of water; 5 fruit & veg

LQ1: about 5% research done

Day 16

Didn't do my run.

NQ1 & NQ2: 9 glasses of water; 6 fruit & veg

LQ1: about 5% research done

Day 17

Got up and started working straight away, so didn't go to do strength training in the morning. Went to gym for muay Thai class a couple hours early to complete strength & chin-up training.

Q1 & Q4.2: 10 min chin-up training, followed by strength training. Now also using resistance bands to help with chin-up/pull-up training.

Q3: managed 29 toe press-ups - if I cheated, I would've counted the 30th press-up, but really, it was barely a press

NQ1 & NQ2: 10 glasses of water; 8 fruit & veg

LQ1: another ~5% research

Day 18

Q2: made myself do my 30-min run - barefoot, no less! - as it was getting near the end of the week and I was in danger of not doing it at all. Luckily, I was in need of getting away from my desk that I went and ran. Although, I really shouldn't've run barefoot. There's a wee gym downstairs in my apartment block with a treadmill, but my shoes were in my locker at my gym, so I didn't have running shoes. So I ran (albeit more slowly than usual - just 5.5 km/h, but with defo running motions, not walking) instead. And gave myself blisters. Ouch. It wasn't too bad, though. Some vaseline and taping up meant I was just about ok to do muay Thai the next evening.

Nowhere to do chin-up training though.

NQ1 & NQ2: 8 glasses of water; 7 fruit & veg

LQ1: ~5% research

Day 19

Q1 & Q4.2: 10-min chin-up training followed by strength training in the morning.

Q3: 30 toe press-ups after training. Well, didn't manage any more than last week's best.

Q4.2: So, since I didn't manage a chin-up training after my 30-min run, I had to get another one in! So after my muay Thai class, I went and did my 4th chin-up training of the week. ... and collapse!

NQ1 & NQ2: 8 glasses of water; 5 fruit & veg

Day 20

NQ1 & NQ2: 10 glasses of water; 6 fruit & veg

Day 21

NQ2: having made a smoothie just now, I am drinking 3 portions of fruit as I type: It's amazing how much fruit one can stuff into a smoothie, so over halfway there already

Now just need to make sure I drink enough water and have more fruit & veg today and I'll have completed week three, with a wee bit of mods for my life quest.

Edit:

NQ1 & NQ2: completed :)

• Like 2

Week 3: The Library

So your challenge for this week has 3 parts:

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve). Those chin-ups and pull-ups are continuing to elude me. I just don't think I'm engaging my lats enough, in addition to probably also not having enough upper body strength too.

2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance. I've found this article on how to do pull-ups, and this thread about women doing pull-ups.

3. Apply it to your challenge (no collecting underpants here). I'm doing more back and lats activation exercises like the body weight & inverted rows and dumbbell rows, and now also using the resistance band to do assisted pull-/chin-ups in addition to the negatives and hanging there and pushing my shoulders down (like an inverted shrug).

• Like 1