• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

The Assassins' Den (guild chat)

On the flip side of my previous comment:

OMG YOU GUYYYYS is there a manual or something on how to train capoeira (or other things where you put a lot of weight on your arms) without destroying your shoulders? I feel like there's a memo out there and I completely missed it. And while I'm still kindof amused at the various pains I've been getting (a friend informed me that "Pain is your body becoming a BAMF") now it's starting to get ridiculous. I wanted to show Husband the cool new moves I learned today but I don't know that I'll be able to put proper weight on my shoulders for the next day or two, even with plenty of analgesics, anti-inflammatories, and the occasional massage + ice pack. Augh. 

But, y'no, I'm still loving this stuff so hardcore :)

(I can kindof do a couple of these movements sort of!)

tumblr_n48ovpwOF91tz1b1ro1_500.gif

• Like 3

On the flip side of my previous comment:

OMG YOU GUYYYYS is there a manual or something on how to train capoeira (or other things where you put a lot of weight on your arms) without destroying your shoulders? I feel like there's a memo out there and I completely missed it. And while I'm still kindof amused at the various pains I've been getting (a friend informed me that "Pain is your body becoming a BAMF") now it's starting to get ridiculous. I wanted to show Husband the cool new moves I learned today but I don't know that I'll be able to put proper weight on my shoulders for the next day or two, even with plenty of analgesics, anti-inflammatories, and the occasional massage + ice pack. Augh. 

But, y'no, I'm still loving this stuff so hardcore :)

(I can kindof do a couple of these movements sort of!)

tumblr_n48ovpwOF91tz1b1ro1_500.gif

1419.gif

725775.gif

• Like 3

Personally, I dislike the idea of workout gloves, as some good calluses are far more useful, but in my experience with yardwork and such, the fit is a lot more important than the style.  I'd just go down to your local hardware store and try on  gloves until you find a pair that fits well and is flexible enough for the movements you plan on doing.

As for shoulder pain/soreness, unfortunately it's probably just a strength/endurance issue, so the only way to improve is to keep working at it.  All the normal DOMS/muscle fatigue stuff will apply, so keep hydrated, get plenty of rest between sessions, and don't be afraid to consult a doctor.  If you want to work specifically on shoulder strength, look into handstand/HSPU progressions and add those into your workouts.

• Like 3

1419.gif

725775.gif

Ok ok I think a more accurate description is that I can recognize a few of those moves as things I was trying to do last night XD but yes, I do agree. Even in my ultra-beginners stage: Wicked indeed.

Personally, I dislike the idea of workout gloves, as some good calluses are far more useful,

Very true, and this is one of the reasons I really wanted to avoid getting shoes for capoeira as well. However, I'm pretty sure my hands will toughen up to an extent just using them on the dance floor. But, if I'm going to be doing this stuff outside, particularly if I need to do it on concrete or asphalt, I'd like to be able to practice for more than 5 minutes at a time :) I'm totally for building calluses, just not so much up for preventing myself from practicing by ripping my skin to shreds :P

As for shoulder pain/soreness, unfortunately it's probably just a strength/endurance issue, so the only way to improve is to keep working at it.  All the normal DOMS/muscle fatigue stuff will apply, so keep hydrated, get plenty of rest between sessions, and don't be afraid to consult a doctor.  If you want to work specifically on shoulder strength, look into handstand/HSPU progressions and add those into your workouts.

^^^^^^ This.

As someone who does a shoulders-intensive sport, I sympathize.  But you have to try not to be overzealous at the start as you build up a base of strength to work with.

• Like 1

Basically, poke around GMB's youtube channel or mobilityWOD.  Take it easy at first.  Rest.  Become BAMF.

• Like 4

So just popping in to wish everyone a great challenge!

I'm going to take this cycle off as a break while I handle lots of transitions (baby-building, prep for moving to a different state, etc). But I plan to be back next round!

May the kittens be with you!

youcat21.gif?w=620&h=344&crop=1

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

• Like 10

I ... hope you don't mind me dropping in. Technically I'm a recruit, but my goals align with the monks, in the sense that my goals in real-life relate to self-defence (my first post in my challenge thread explains why). But ... when I initially came across NF a few years back, I wanted in with the assassins, because I love parkour, love the ideals that come with being an assassin, and it just sounded cool.

So, considering I'm a recruit ... is it wrong to change my allegiance? Is it okay to join the assassins even though one element of my training is krav maga (I don't do any other MAs really but am interested in boxing for its help in krav)? I do have a strong emphasis on functional fitness, I don't really think there's much point otherwise, which I believe would be a strong attribute of assassins.

Any thoughts/help/suggestions?

Also, you guys have the most awesome mini-challenges, and even though I can't join as a recruit anyway, I find mini-challenges lots of fun because they push me beyond my standard regime, and plus I'm really really competitive.

• Like 2

I ... hope you don't mind me dropping in. Technically I'm a recruit, but my goals align with the monks, in the sense that my goals in real-life relate to self-defence (my first post in my challenge thread explains why). But ... when I initially came across NF a few years back, I wanted in with the assassins, because I love parkour, love the ideals that come with being an assassin, and it just sounded cool.

So, considering I'm a recruit ... is it wrong to change my allegiance? Is it okay to join the assassins even though one element of my training is krav maga (I don't do any other MAs really but am interested in boxing for its help in krav)? I do have a strong emphasis on functional fitness, I don't really think there's much point otherwise, which I believe would be a strong attribute of assassins.

Also, you guys have the most awesome mini-challenges, and even though I can't join as a recruit anyway, I find mini-challenges lots of fun because they push me beyond my standard regime, and plus I'm really really competitive.

image.png?w=400&c=1

There are assassins who do almost anything... from weights to dance to martial arts (lots of TKD, I think) to hand balancing to... well, you get the idea.  You are definitely welcome here!  The minis are totally awesome, but we do let non-guildies come play too (no stat points but all the fun).  We've got a couple warriors who have gone this route.  In any case, we're here for you!

• Like 6

image.png?w=400&c=1

There are assassins who do almost anything... from weights to dance to martial arts (lots of TKD, I think) to hand balancing to... well, you get the idea.  You are definitely welcome here!  The minis are totally awesome, but we do let non-guildies come play too (no stat points but all the fun).  We've got a couple warriors who have gone this route.  In any case, we're here for you!

What annyshay said!  Assassins aren't any one particular thing.  In some ways, we're as eclectic a guild as the Adventurers!  Something about chasing shiny objects........ I'm pretty sure that what unites us is a love of fun.  Assassins seem to be particularly keen to play as they work out.

Take a look at our phonebook and you'll see that there are quite a few martial artists, among other things. :)

In any case, joining a guild is as much about finding your people as about fitting into a particular type of workout regimen.  Sure, the monks would probably be better equipped to answer technical questions about your martial arts training, but depending on where you feel most at home, there's nothing stopping you from going to different people with different questions regardless of guild affiliation... or even swapping guilds every challenge if that turns out to be your thing. ^_^

Please feel welcome here.  We would love to have you!

• Like 3

image.png?w=400&c=1

What annyshay said!  Assassins aren't any one particular thing.  In some ways, we're as eclectic a guild as the Adventurers!  Something about chasing shiny objects........ I'm pretty sure that what unites us is a love of fun.  Assassins seem to be particularly keen to play as they work out.

Take a look at our phonebook and you'll see that there are quite a few martial artists, among other things. :)

In any case, joining a guild is as much about finding your people as about fitting into a particular type of workout regimen.  Sure, the monks would probably be better equipped to answer technical questions about your martial arts training, but depending on where you feel most at home, there's nothing stopping you from going to different people with different questions regardless of guild affiliation... or even swapping guilds every challenge if that turns out to be your thing. ^_^

Please feel welcome here.  We would love to have you!

Thanks, guys!

I think in that case I'll definitely join the assassins :) Do I fill out the sign-up form once I finish my recruit challenge, or can I do it now?

• Like 2

Thanks, guys!

I think in that case I'll definitely join the assassins :) Do I fill out the sign-up form once I finish my recruit challenge, or can I do it now?

Yaaaay! :D I'm glad. I think the form comes after your recruitment phase is over... :P

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!

There will be a new form next challenge!  For now, please stick with the Recruits and complete your first challenge.

That said, Ambassador folk, why don't we add her to our outreach program?  We certainly have room for one more on our super sekrit spreadsheet, right? :D

• Like 1

There will be a new form next challenge!  For now, please stick with the Recruits and complete your first challenge.

That said, Ambassador folk, why don't we add her to our outreach program?  We certainly have room for one more on our super sekrit spreadsheet, right? :D

agreed_pirates_caribbean.gif

• Like 3

Just wanted to say that I'm not a prolific poster. Well I can be but it comes and goes. So figured I'd come in here and just say I am reading what I can, when I can and that I'm cheering everyone on. :)

Go Us! LOL