• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

The Assassins' Den (guild chat)

Hello people,

I have a question directed towards any rock climbing/ bouldering assassins.

I recently picked up bouldering at my school's rock gym. I have gone for at least an hour, sometimes more, for the last week everyday. My left arm has swollen just above the elbow. I am pretty sure it is early stages of tendonitis, caused by doing an akward reverse side hold for several hours.

I realize the best thing is probably just to lay off the wall for a bit, but my questions are these:

Does this sound right?

Do I just develop the muscle more, or is this a sign of poor form.

Where do you guys learn proper form anyways.

Thanks. Appreciate it

Hello people,

I recently picked up bouldering at my school's rock gym. I have gone for at least an hour, sometimes more, for the last week everyday. My left arm has swollen just above the elbow. I am pretty sure it is early stages of tendonitis, caused by doing an akward reverse side hold for several hours.

I realize the best thing is probably just to lay off the wall for a bit, but my questions are these:

Does this sound right?

Thanks. Appreciate it

Hmmmmmmmmm not a rock climber, but as a person who also hangs a lot, this does sound like overtraining to me (and yes, I'd recommend rest).

That said, I'm NOT a rock climber!  Sooooooo if you don't get an answer here, I would recommend hitting up Nymeria's thread, or any of the people listed for climbing in the phone book. :)  Sometimes people may not check the Den.

Hello people,

Does this sound right?

Thanks. Appreciate it

I would agree with Stars on this one that it sounds a lot like overtraining, but likewise I am not primarily a climber but also an aerialist that climbs silks a lot but less with the climbing hard surfaces.

How often were you climbing before you started doing this daily schedule?  You might want to stick to an every other day schedule to give yourself rest days and I'd say if it's swollen right now definitely give it a few days to rest and maybe do some stretches.

Also seconding that I'd go hit up Nymeria!

Thank you both!

I did talk to Nymeria, and she was really helpful.

To answer your question, I had done practically no, steady climbing before this. I just have so much fun with it that I kept doing it.

I realize in hindsight that this is a recipe for injury. I am going to stop till about Monday, just to give it time to heal.

Thank you both!

I did talk to Nymeria, and she was really helpful.

To answer your question, I had done practically no, steady climbing before this. I just have so much fun with it that I kept doing it.

I realize in hindsight that this is a recipe for injury. I am going to stop till about Monday, just to give it time to heal.

Rest days are important!  I am not always good at that either when it's something you really enjoy, but remember that taking the rest days will make your climbing days go better and help you avoid injuries!

Another aerialist here (we seem to travel in packs)

Don't forget to also warm up your hands/wrists well beforehand and stretch them well afterward. Tendon injuries are tricky in that they seem to never entirely go away, so tread carefully going forward. You may need more rest than you think for it to get back to a workable level of healthiness.

• Like 1

Is anyone planning on seeing The Walk with Joseph Gordon Levitt? It's a story centered around the guy who walked a tightrope between the World Trade Center towers. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be good but it does look like an Assassin type film.

• Like 1

Is anyone planning on seeing The Walk with Joseph Gordon Levitt? It's a story centered around the guy who walked a tightrope between the World Trade Center towers. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be good but it does look like an Assassin type film.

Probably not.  I'm not big on heights.  I can manage to rock climb on occasion - with a safety harness - but that feat looks just too much for me.  Cliffhanger just about did me in ....

• Like 1

OK, I think I found the general chat thread, ya'll have a ton of thread in here...

Anyway...  I need a little bit of help from you all. Since I'm a warrior and do warrior things, I have no idea what assassins do other than stab things, and lay lightning traps. So I come to you...

1st: To get an idea of what I'm trying to do, read this... http://rebellion.ner...aid-challenges/

2nd: What would be some easy/medium/hard tasks that I could use for boss fights? Easy would be assassin like things that others could also complete, medium would be hard for a non-assassin but easy for an assassin, and hard would be difficult for an assassin, and extremely hard for a non-assassin.

3rd: ????

4th: Profit

You can either post here, or message me any ideas you have, and I'll be trusting you all to differentiate between easy/medium/hard. Once I get something put together, I'll look for testers to try it out and give feed back, I'd like to get a series of these going at some point.

I really like where this is going! I think there are gonna be a lot more assassins who will dig this. Just have a look at our mini challenges, about 75 assassins have signed up for them. And every week about 50 - 75% of them are actively participating. So I think you have hit the right audience.

Some problem with these is that there are people who can put up numbers which for others arecompletely unachievable so there is a lot of variation what different people can do. This poses a problem when creating easy medium and hard tasks.

• Like 1

hmm... maybe have the teams choose things that are easy, medium and hard for them? Lots of our minis have scalable stuff like that so no one feels left out or that they can't contribute.

So, have a range of things like inverse rows, assisted pull ups, pull ups, archer pull ups, one armed pull ups

or

Wall pushups, incline push ups, knee push ups, push ups, diamond push ups, decline push ups, one arm push ups

So, whoever is on the team is trusted to choose the appropriate level for themselves. If you set some parameters around it like an easy task should be something you can easily do 10 of, while a medium task is max 5, and a difficult task is a 1.

• Like 2

I really like where this is going! I think there are gonna be a lot more assassins who will dig this. Just have a look at our mini challenges, about 75 assassins have signed up for them. And every week about 50 - 75% of them are actively participating. So I think you have hit the right audience.

Some problem with these is that there are people who can put up numbers which for others arecompletely unachievable so there is a lot of variation what different people can do. This poses a problem when creating easy medium and hard tasks.

I thought about this on the way home, and while easy/medium/hard is relative. I was also trying to figure out how to include the Adventurers guild, and I think an easy task would be something the someone with little to no experience would be able to to do, like the beginner parkour at camp. Medium would be a beginner assassin, think back to when you first started, and hard would be someone who's done it for a while.

I want the hard raids to be a goal, not something everyone can complete now.

I can already tell I need to combine these posts somehow... :-)

• Like 1

Startbodyweight.com is my go-to for generic assassin-esque exercises.  Though if you look at our phonebook, you'll notice that it just touches the surface of the Assassin's guild activities.  It is, however, score-able and already broken into progressions, so maybe you can use it as a starting point?

• Like 1

OK, I think I found the general chat thread, ya'll have a ton of thread in here...

Anyway...  I need a little bit of help from you all. Since I'm a warrior and do warrior things, I have no idea what assassins do other than stab things, and lay lightning traps. So I come to you...

1st: To get an idea of what I'm trying to do, read this... http://rebellion.ner...aid-challenges/

2nd: What would be some easy/medium/hard tasks that I could use for boss fights? Easy would be assassin like things that others could also complete, medium would be hard for a non-assassin but easy for an assassin, and hard would be difficult for an assassin, and extremely hard for a non-assassin.

3rd: ????

4th: Profit

You can either post here, or message me any ideas you have, and I'll be trusting you all to differentiate between easy/medium/hard. Once I get something put together, I'll look for testers to try it out and give feed back, I'd like to get a series of these going at some point.

Just an attempt to centralize the information/discussion, if you have anything to add to this idea please join the RCAO... http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73076-raid-challenge-administration-office/

Teros' RPG Fanatics and Nerdhammer were sorta along those lines, but yours would be more the traditional World of Warcraft or D&D party/team approach.  

I had really enjoyed Nerdhammer (Dark_Raider's brainchild) because you could pick what theme you wanted to go with and then choose from a selection of exercises.  Anything to give people choice and play to their strengths is helpful.  

• Like 1

Teros' RPG Fanatics and Nerdhammer were sorta along those lines, but yours would be more the traditional World of Warcraft or D&D party/team approach.  

I had really enjoyed Nerdhammer (Dark_Raider's brainchild) because you could pick what theme you wanted to go with and then choose from a selection of exercises.  Anything to give people choice and play to their strengths is helpful.  

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Warcraft style, but it's not going to be so specific that ONLY one class can do something, at least not in the beginning, if this continues I might issue harder and harder challenges but I'll be sure to have raids that everyone can enjoy. Also I'll have a task to do, but you can choose how you want to do it. Taking a warrior for example, the task might be to block a hole that a dragon is attempting to break out of using rocks that are located nearby, which would mean moving 2000 pounds, a distance of 20 feet. You can do this as a farmers walk and dumbbells, firemans carry, squat the weight up and walk... etc. It's up to you how you want to get those rocks where they need to be.

• Like 1

Hey circus-y and gymnastic-y people--

any tips/progressions on working toward straight arm/straight knee toes to bar without kipping? every tutorial I've found online is for the crossfit kipping type.

I asked my teacher about this just the other day.  She suggested negatives.  As in, get into the position however you can, then slowwwwwwwlyyyy descend.

Those I do.

Most of the time they make me feel like I'm failing because I don't feel like I'm getting any better.

Just have to work harder, I guess. My workout buddy has the most beautiful TTB ever (she's also a former gymnast, but whatevs) and it makes me super jealous.

• Like 2

Hanging knee raises -> Hanging leg raises -> Knees-to-elbows are other good exercises with similar motion but less strength/range of motion required.

• Like 1