• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

The Assassins' Den (guild chat)

Hanging knee raises -> Hanging leg raises -> Knees-to-elbows are other good exercises with similar motion but less strength/range of motion required.

ooh, hanging knee and leg raises I can do. If knees to elbows is a good next step, I'll see where I stand with those. Thanks!

• Like 2

Hanging knee raises -> Hanging leg raises -> Knees-to-elbows are other good exercises with similar motion but less strength/range of motion required.

Trying to mentally picture what knees to elbows means. Like, from a hang you bring your knees up to your elbows? I'm picturing this as similar to the tuck ups that I am working on to get my tuck under the bar to knee hang?

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

I'm still a newbie/recruit, and I'm waiting for the next challenge so I can hopefully join you guys. Like many I feel I am at the intersection of Assassin/Monk, but the only martial arts school around here is a bit too Cobra Kai for my tastes, and there is a great circus school nearby, so that will probably be the defining factor for me.

I am interested in improving my overall conditioning. I also am into hand balancing and parkour. The apparati seem cool; I might be interested in Chinese Pole or even lyra, but the only class the school has this semester at a time that I can go is aerial silks... is it the kind of thing where I could do some silks for a semester and then develop some strength and skill to apply to pole/lyra? Or would it hinder me to only train a few months on one and then switch?

Also a more broad question, how did you choose your apparatus/area of interest? I am generally wowed/inspired by general physical prowess, and sort of want to do everything.

• Like 2

Hi everyone!

I'm still a newbie/recruit, and I'm waiting for the next challenge so I can hopefully join you guys. Like many I feel I am at the intersection of Assassin/Monk, but the only martial arts school around here is a bit too Cobra Kai for my tastes, and there is a great circus school nearby, so that will probably be the defining factor for me.

I am interested in improving my overall conditioning. I also am into hand balancing and parkour. The apparati seem cool; I might be interested in Chinese Pole or even lyra, but the only class the school has this semester at a time that I can go is aerial silks... is it the kind of thing where I could do some silks for a semester and then develop some strength and skill to apply to pole/lyra? Or would it hinder me to only train a few months on one and then switch?

Also a more broad question, how did you choose your apparatus/area of interest? I am generally wowed/inspired by general physical prowess, and sort of want to do everything.

Lots of other schools will only offer multi-apparatus classes to beginners, so yes--some skills are transferrable from one to the other:

• upper body strength
  • core strength
  • body control
  • straight elbows and knees aka making nice lines in the air
  • flexibility

I wouldn't say it would be a waste of time at all. Jump in on what you can, get your feet wet and see what you like. Each apparatus has it's own special kind of pain from burns to bruises, so you never know what you'll be compatible with until you try.

And wanting to do everything is a common issue for assassins. :) We tend to chase shiny things. My interest started with silks and has expanded to general circus with time. Silks is my main apparatus and I dabble in trap and acro when I'm feeling adventurous.

• Like 2