• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl's Epic Questing and Other Stuff

I was curios so I did 10X10 1 arm swings @ 20kg. I wore my HRM, but didn't pay attention to it.

Here's my data. My heart rate was quite a bit lower than I thought and I seem to be following your protocol.

d546d95e0bd973b50a206c33a5e8d2d8.jpg

Interesting. I think that, like Jrosto said, the main benefit is that using a HR monitor helps you to pace yourself so that you don't overdo it , enabling you to stick with doing it daily.

I see what you're saying about Maffetone using it more for running or biking than for kettlebell stuff. I found using the Maffetone helpful for me today when I was out walking. Using the method for swings was actually not quite as helpful as I'd like. Checking my heart rate was helpful. But it wasn't until the third set that my heart rate went up to above 100.  Which I guess tell me I can do more than I thought. But it does help with the idea of how hard to push, and then it gives you a good number to shoot for. Maffetone's numbers aren't too different than the normal cardio zone, just with a few more variable for age and health. I preferred Maffetone's numbers over the heart rate zones, because for me they seemed easier to figure out. I'll see more how it works after I've played with it  a bit.

Welcome back!  I'm glad you had such an awesome vacation!  

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain.  It's well within the margin of just being a little bit of bloating or water retention.  And even if it isn't, you have good enough habits that everything will snap back to where it's supposed to be pretty quickly.  

This is what I was going to say - so read twice ? ;) and by the sounds of it, you are already getting back into routine.

:( I really want a HR meter now. Any recommendations that don't go on the wrist?

The Polar H7 seems to get a lot of good reviews, but I can't speak for it from any personal experience.

Tuesday

Tracked food, but went a little over.  We ate dinner at mother in laws. I ate a good size dinner, a guestimate that is was a good serving size. Then, after dinner, my mom-in-law- says happily, " I finally figured out what to make you for dessert, I bought fruit!" She is always worried that I can't eat dessert, since I don't do wheat or dairy, I keep telling her I'm fine, but she feels guilty. So, when she was so happy that she had some fruit for me, I wasn't about to say that I wasn't going to eat it, because it was too high in calories/carbs. I just smiled and said thank you. So, I went over my limit, but that was ok, sometimes etiquette wins over goals.

Did meet my water goals

Wednesday:

Had an awesome day. Spent the day with friends, visiting a nearby island. Started out foggy, but cleared up. I was hoping to get some hiking in, but we didn't have time. We did a bit of walking, shopping, and eating lunch. Guesstimate for what lunch was, but since I didn't excercise I probably didn't make my goal for food. Still a deficit though, so decent.  Right now I'm at 8,300 steps, so planning to go on walk after I finish this so I can get my 10,00 steps

Not met may water goal yet.Managed to say no to gluten free chocolate chip cookie. so win.

Monday

Warm up

Halo/goblet squat/bridge

35lb swings 10 x 10 4 min 45 s – HR was around 90-110 peak at 124 on last set- I really do have that mastered

30 lb TGU about 12 minutes just work on this weight more and really master it.

Tuesday

Walk

1.58 miles @ pulse 100-115

Swings 1o x 10 44 lb Was able to do several set before my pulse reached 120, just taking a couple breaths between set, set 5 pulse was at 120, took several breaths until it went down to 100 finished the sets never peaked above 130. My muscles gave out before my lungs/heart

TGU-still struggling with this

Tried 35 lb no go so just kept to 30 x 5

• Like 2

...35lb swings 10 x 10 4 min 45 s – HR was around 90-110 peak at 124 on last set- I really do have that mastered

Yes Ma'am, I do believe you own that KB.

Are these 1 or 2 handed?

• Like 1

That's what I thought, you've pretty much kicked "Simple" rear haven't you?

I wish, For swings I need to be doing a 55lb bell, and a 35lb for the TGU, right now I'm working on the 44lb and trying to get to 30lb. I set my own simple goal of 44lb for the swings, at least for now, because I figure it is going to take a while to get the 55lb 

• Like 3

I wish, For swings I need to be doing a 55lb bell, and a 35lb for the TGU, right now I'm working on the 44lb and trying to get to 30lb. I set my own simple goal of 44lb for the swings, at least for now, because I figure it is going to take a while to get the 55lb 

I was looking at the wrong chart :)

• Like 1

Interesting to see those heart rates along with the sets! So how long is your break? Just a couple breaths?

Yes just a couple of breaths for the most part. When my heart rate was 120 near the end, I waited until it went down to to 100 before continuing, which was about 30 seconds.  I haven't officially timed it yet, so I don't know exact times.

I wonder if using the Maffetone method would be helpful for you? So much of what you do is for endurance, so I think it might. Not sure, but check it out, if you want.http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

• Like 1

I just caught up and I'm really glad you have enjoyed your vacation! also I have the Fitbit Charge HR also, it's pretty neat info about HR during the day. my desk lifestyle is even more sedentary than I had feared.

• Like 1

The Fitbit HR is totally going on my wish list. I would love to have that kind of data.

Your swings are so inspiring! I'm still playing with my 20lb KB but I need to get heavier ones soon. Once I started doing the one-handed swings I seem to get stronger a lot faster.

My KB is really clunky and I'd like to spend the money on a really good one. Do you recommend any?

...My KB is really clunky and I'd like to spend the money on a really good one. Do you recommend any?

I really like the Rogue Fitness KB's.  The handles are a good size and the finish makes for a very good grip.  There are no burrs or flash (casting and molding lines) to rough up your hands.  I have a Rage Fitness competition size KB.  The handle is smooth and I don't like it as much as the textured RF 'bells.  My smaller 'bells are Black Mountain Products.  Very good for smaller KB's, but the handles are coated with a smooth enamel that I would not want to use with heavier weights.  Both the RF and Rage products have nice flat bases, the BMP's ones are not as flat.  My KB instructor has all Rogue Fitness.

I've looked at the ones at Dick's, Walmart and Academy.  The handles on all of those had burrs or flash that would need to be filed off before any serious use.

There are several other nice looking brands out there, I just don't have personal experience with them.

The Fitbit HR is totally going on my wish list. I would love to have that kind of data.

Your swings are so inspiring! I'm still playing with my 20lb KB but I need to get heavier ones soon. Once I started doing the one-handed swings I seem to get stronger a lot faster.

My KB is really clunky and I'd like to spend the money on a really good one. Do you recommend any?

My 30# says J-fit on it, not sure where I bought it, but I like it. My next one is going to be a rogue. Don't like my 44# bell, bought it at a sporting good store, and the handle is super tall and awkward. The others I bought at sporting good store, like JR said I had to file the handle, but they worked pretty good.

Love my FitbitHR

• Like 1

Did I mention I found a new naturapth Dr I liked? She listened to me about what I already did, and gave me advice for my blood pressure. Today I got a notice in the mail, that our insurance no longer carries her. Double Grrr. Finally found a Dr I liked, and now she isn't covered. 

I did a video of my TGU yesterday,just need to post it here.

Today went over my food goal a bit, but still in deficit. which is good for a Friday. Still working on my water goal. Went over my goal on calories  because I wanted an apple dessert with apples fresh from our tree. Made this http://paleoparents.com/featured/butter-pecan-apples-wlc-21dsd/ (scroll down for recipe) I did add some stevia . It is in the oven now, I'll tell you how it turned out.

Today I did walking, shovelglove, and jump rope. Hadn't done jump roping for a while, and decided it was time to get out the rope. Also did the shoulder for beginners yoga for the Hobbits. 

Hoping that tomorrow we can get some geocaching time in. It is supposed to be good weather.

I am trying to figure out next challenge. Two main decisions I need to make are whether to stick with Simple and Sinister or try something else, and whether to really try a few cycles of bulk -lean, or just go back to maintenance(I'm not a Warrior bulker, we are talking enough to gain a .5 pound a week)

I really want to achieve the Simple goal, so even if I switch programs, I will stick with kettlebells. Part of me says just to stick with it. Strongfirst (kettlebell forum) reccommends you keep with the program until you hit your goal. But I have been struggling so long and not gaining with the 35lb bell, I wonder if switching to something like cleans and presses, would help me gain strength. I have the book Enter the Kettlebell which is swings, cleans and presses, and snatches.  Or I could do Scott Rdella''s Kettlebell Domination program. It might be a good mental break, and sometimes that helps. 

Break for dessert eating.

Back from dessert- which gets an A. I used walnuts instead of pecans, and added a couple packets of stevia. 

Resuming thoughts on Simple goal- I have tried lots of way to build up strength with my 30lb TGU, but just don't seem to be able to make the jump.I'm rather  leaning toward doing it for a challenge, then going back to S&S and trying it.  And for right now, work with the 30lb, do some work with the 35, even if it is only half TGUs, and make sure I'm pushing it enough with the swings, which should help with the TGU's

• Like 1

I understand that it might help to do a week super setting your swings / get ups. 1 hand swings each hand, get ups each side, repeat...

Which step is giving you the hardest time?

I understand that it might help to do a week super setting your swings / get ups. 1 hand swings each hand, get ups each side, repeat...

Which step is giving you the hardest time?

going into the lunge/ and also the stand. But then this week, I wasn't even able to do half get ups. :numbness:

I haven't done the super setting-that sounds brutal- but it might work. I've done super slow with rests, waiter carries,  going without much rest between sets. I haven't done more reps, which is another recommendation I saw. I keep thinking I will try that, but by the time I've done 10 reps,I can['t talk myself into doing more.

• Like 1

Try doing some TGU's with lower weights to warm your body up to see if you can bust through the 35lb barrier. For example, do 10 with the lowest weight you have, 5 with the next one, 3 with the next one, the 1ea with every bell you have on the way up to the 35lb. Play with the number of reps to see what works for you, but that's the idea.

I really want to achieve the Simple goal, so even if I switch programs, I will stick with kettlebells. Part of me says just to stick with it. Strongfirst (kettlebell forum) reccommends you keep with the program until you hit your goal. But I have been struggling so long and not gaining with the 35lb bell, I wonder if switching to something like cleans and presses, would help me gain strength. I have the book Enter the Kettlebell which is swings, cleans and presses, and snatches.  Or I could do Scott Rdella''s Kettlebell Domination program. It might be a good mental break, and sometimes that helps. 

To me, it sounds like you're already progressing really nicely with those KBs.  And it's not surprising that the progress is a bit on the slower side.  You're fairly small, so each time you jump up in KB weight, you're actually adding a much larger percentage of your bodyweight than larger people would be adding.  

I know it's kind of hard with KBs, but is there any way you can incrementally add weight?  Could you attach 1-2 lbs to your bell somehow?  Or could you wear a 1-2 lb wrist weight while doing these (and would that even help?)  Going from 30-35 is a big jump, but maybe you could cut it down into smaller jumps.

If nothing else, I think your idea of playing around with some new moves is a good one.  I've generally found that mental breaks really help.  :)

• Like 1

To me, it sounds like you're already progressing really nicely with those KBs.  And it's not surprising that the progress is a bit on the slower side.  You're fairly small, so each time you jump up in KB weight, you're actually adding a much larger percentage of your bodyweight than larger people would be adding.  

I know it's kind of hard with KBs, but is there any way you can incrementally add weight?  Could you attach 1-2 lbs to your bell somehow?  Or could you wear a 1-2 lb wrist weight while doing these (and would that even help?)  Going from 30-35 is a big jump, but maybe you could cut it down into smaller jumps.

If nothing else, I think your idea of playing around with some new moves is a good one.  I've generally found that mental breaks really help.   :)

Nymeria makes some good points, you can go for smaller increments with wrist weights.

Found this comment on the SF Blog:

That is the fun part about KB’s. As Dan John has said, they limit your choices. You can either get stronger and more efficient with more volume in the 16kg bell with your TGU and pressing and break up the parts of the TGU with the 24kg, starting with just rolling and posting to the hand and back down. Do not add more parts to the move until you can smooth the first part out. Or you find a 20kg bell. Personally when I move to a bigger bell for the TGU or work with someone else, I like to break it back up into parts and basically start from scratch each jump in weight. Pavel or anyone else, please chime in if you have other strategies.

Sorry about the background color, they make it hard to cut and paste from the blog.

I was having a hard time with 16 kg at first.  Starting at the top and doing just the down part of the movement really helped, as did reverse lunges.

When you look at the progression example in S&S (Pg 81), it indicates that a good progression to the next weight could take 38 days if doing S&S 5 or 6 days/week.  It is not a quick progression.

Now I'm off to do my S&S for the day :)  I actually remembered to take my wedding ring off before grabbing a 'bell.

Found this comment on the SF Blog:

That is the fun part about KB’s. As Dan John has said, they limit your choices. You can either get stronger and more efficient with more volume in the 16kg bell with your TGU and pressing and break up the parts of the TGU with the 24kg, starting with just rolling and posting to the hand and back down. Do not add more parts to the move until you can smooth the first part out. Or you find a 20kg bell. Personally when I move to a bigger bell for the TGU or work with someone else, I like to break it back up into parts and basically start from scratch each jump in weight. Pavel or anyone else, please chime in if you have other strategies.

Sorry about the background color, they make it hard to cut and paste from the blog.

I was having a hard time with 16 kg at first.  Starting at the top and doing just the down part of the movement really helped, as did reverse lunges.

When you look at the progression example in S&S (Pg 81), it indicates that a good progression to the next weight could take 38 days if doing S&S 5 or 6 days/week.  It is not a quick progression.

Now I'm off to do my S&S for the day :)  I actually remembered to take my wedding ring off before grabbing a 'bell.

Thanks. I'm not sure how to start from the top though. I can barely clean the 35, much less press it above my head from standing. I'm not really sure what they mean when they say start from the top. Seems like if I could get the bell overhead, then I could do a TGU, so how does one start from the top?

I'm ok with progress being slow, but I've been working on this since June, 5 days a week. Which is why I'm wondering if I should switch out and try cleans and presses for a bit. I've read the advice before of starting at the top , and that's when I tried to get the bell overhead, and I just can't. So somehow, I need to gain more strength. On the other hand that 38 days is for young people who may already be in shape, I'm older and small, so that 35lb is pretty dang big for me, maybe it just takes time. 

I guess the question for me is when does tenacity become beating your head on a wall? I'm still going to get the Simple goal, whichever I decide.