• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl's Epic Questing and Other Stuff

Sounds like you are having a great vacation. While you were walking around the City, I was walking around on my little island of Alameda just across the Bay Bridge from you. *waves*

I love Geocaching, but haven't done it in awhile. I've been wanting to pick a random place with caches and go. Perhaps next challenge. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

• Like 1

We'll be in San Fran next weekend, really looking forward to it.

You just need some Cioppino Stew with a nice CA Chard to round out the SF experience :)

Sounds like you guys are having a great time.

You just need some Cioppino Stew with a nice CA Chard to round out the SF experience :)

Today we're visiting Fisherman/s Wharf, much seafood will be eaten.

• Like 5

Sounds like you are having a great vacation. While you were walking around the City, I was walking around on my little island of Alameda just across the Bay Bridge from you. *waves*

I love Geocaching, but haven't done it in awhile. I've been wanting to pick a random place with caches and go. Perhaps next challenge. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

waving back, I think we drove through there on our way here.

• Like 1

lolchekov.jpg

Yup, Alameda is where the "nuclear wessles" were. Now if you go to the Navy Base you can fine very nice wine, beer, spirits, and a gorgeous view of the city.

waving back, I think we drove through there on our way here.

It's possible that you drove by Alameda or through Alameda county. You have to intentionally drive to Alameda. You either have to drive over a bridge or through a tunnel. Even though we are only a short BART ride from the City, we hardly go there. We are like Hobbits that way. We call it the Island Syndrome. If we don't have to leave the island, we try not to. If you have time, I do recommend visiting. We have several great restaurants and a great Tiki Bar.

alameda%20map.JPG

I haven't been to Fisherman's Warf in years. But I do recommend the clam chowder. Yum! Are you going to go to Golden Gate Park? There are a lot of places to walk and the Japanese Tea Gardens are always nice to visit.

• Like 1

Today was San Francisco. Over 17,000 steps. I think most of that was uphill :) Lots of amazing views, and a great day. Had Vietnamese food for lunch, lettuce wraps with shrimp. And then to Ghiradeli Square for  raspberry sorbet with dark hot fudge sauce. And I may also have bought some dark chocolate fudge for tomorrow. :redface-new:

Edited to add:part of the walking today included walking on the Golden Gate Bridge and Lombard Street-

Eish, I think 17 000 steps means you can enjoy your fudge sauce and chocolate fudge with you guilty feelings.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great vacation, can't wait to hear about it (and all the caches you find!). Have a great time!!

Having fun, but our caches have been full of failures.  First day, husband said he grabbed a pen, but forgot too. We figured out that we had no pen after we walked  a mile and a half to the cache. We found the cache anyway, even though we couldn't record it, and it was on this huge rock on the bay that was really cool. Then yesterday it was too crowded to search for the cache without being obvious. And then there was one at the end of the day, but I wasn't looking because it was almost dark, and I was tired, and hubby couldn't find it. Today we found one at Standford University, but I wimped out on looking for the second, because it was super hot and we had already walked around tons and I wanted food and air conditioning.

I'll be here, waiting for you to return. The Rangers will try not to steal too many assassins in your absence. 

J/K, we're taking all we can get.

Lol, I see now that you are behind this plan to steal all the assassins. 

Yup, Alameda is where the "nuclear wessles" were. Now if you go to the Navy Base you can fine very nice wine, beer, spirits, and a gorgeous view of the city.

It's possible that you drove by Alameda or through Alameda county. You have to intentionally drive to Alameda. You either have to drive over a bridge or through a tunnel. Even though we are only a short BART ride from the City, we hardly go there. We are like Hobbits that way. We call it the Island Syndrome. If we don't have to leave the island, we try not to. If you have time, I do recommend visiting. We have several great restaurants and a great Tiki Bar.

I haven't been to Fisherman's Warf in years. But I do recommend the clam chowder. Yum! Are you going to go to Golden Gate Park? There are a lot of places to walk and the Japanese Tea Gardens are always nice to visit.

Must have driven by,We may go to Golden Gate Park tomorrow. I would never leave the island either. I have determined that SF has the absolute worst traffic ever.  You pretty much risk your life every time you go anyway near.

• Like 1

Lots more walking today. Had boiled shrimp and fries for lunch and then  dinner at In-N-Out. I had almost 1/2 pound of shrimp :rapture: And I love In-N- Out fries. I 

Went on a great hike near Crescent CIty. One of my son's friends was in Crescent CIty at the same time, and he had a place picked out to hike, so we tagged along. After getting to the park, we drove  about 10 miles down a narrow, steep, windy road.Then we arrived at the Ranger Station. She told us the road got narrower, and there was a "stream" to cross. We thanked her and drove on. It had rained hard the night before. After a bit of driving, we arrived at the "stream". It was really more like a small lake. We only have a Toyota, and I was doubtful about our crossing it. But Mr. Incredible doesn't give up that easy and he said we could make it. So we drove through it, without any problem. I'll post pictures when I get home. The hike was called Fern Canyon. It is at the bottom of a canyon. The walls of the canyon are covered with ferns. It was a perfect assassin hiking trail. There was a small stream at the bottom of the canyon, and there were small wooden plank bridges to help you cross the trail over the stream.As we walked further on the bridges disappeared, and you had to cross on logs.Had a great time practicing my log balancing skills, as we traversed the stream atop the logs.  And then there were some logs that were across the trail , and in order to keep walking we had to climb over the logs.. At one point, we came across a giant root ball of tree covering the trail, and we had to duck under it to continue. Walking along, the huge canyons walls on each side, stream bed below, I felt like I was walking in the Shire. Part of Jurassic Park II was filmed here, and I could easily imagine a dinosaur rumbling down the canyon. And I was able to keep up with the 25 year olds, so I was happy.

I'll post pictures when I get home, but I wanted to tell you guys about it now when I had time.

• Like 6

Today we found one at Standford University, but I wimped out on looking for the second, because it was super hot and we had already walked around tons and I wanted food and air conditioning.

Yeah, today was too hot. The weather has been odd lately. It was really hot and then last week it rained and now we are boiling again.

Must have driven by,We may go to Golden Gate Park tomorrow. I would never leave the island either. I have determined that SF has the absolute worst traffic ever.  You pretty much risk your life every time you go anyway near.

Unless we are going somewhere outside the Bay Area, I usually only leave the Island once a week when I go into the office, but my drive is against commute traffic. If we want to go to the city we can take BART or the Ferry. Traffic is horrible in the Bay Area, especially in the City. Uber is also a wonderful thing.

Your hike near Crescent CIty sounds amazing. I will have to put that on my list of weekend excursion ideas.

Can't wait to see the pics, sounds like you're having an absolute blast. That area has always been on my To Travel To list, but after your descriptions, it just got bumped up a few slots.

Lots more walking today. Had boiled shrimp and fries for lunch and then  dinner at In-N-Out. I had almost 1/2 pound of shrimp :rapture: And I love In-N- Out fries. I 

Went on a great hike near Crescent CIty. One of my son's friends was in Crescent CIty at the same time, and he had a place picked out to hike, so we tagged along. After getting to the park, we drove  about 10 miles down a narrow, steep, windy road.Then we arrived at the Ranger Station. She told us the road got narrower, and there was a "stream" to cross. We thanked her and drove on. It had rained hard the night before. After a bit of driving, we arrived at the "stream". It was really more like a small lake. We only have a Toyota, and I was doubtful about our crossing it. But Mr. Incredible doesn't give up that easy and he said we could make it. So we drove through it, without any problem. I'll post pictures when I get home. The hike was called Fern Canyon. It is at the bottom of a canyon. The walls of the canyon are covered with ferns. It was a perfect assassin hiking trail. There was a small stream at the bottom of the canyon, and there were small wooden plank bridges to help you cross the trail over the stream.As we walked further on the bridges disappeared, and you had to cross on logs.Had a great time practicing my log balancing skills, as we traversed the stream atop the logs.  And then there were some logs that were across the trail , and in order to keep walking we had to climb over the logs.. At one point, we came across a giant root ball of tree covering the trail, and we had to duck under it to continue. Walking along, the huge canyons walls on each side, stream bed below, I felt like I was walking in the Shire. Part of Jurassic Park II was filmed here, and I could easily imagine a dinosaur rumbling down the canyon. And I was able to keep up with the 25 year olds, so I was happy.

I'll post pictures when I get home, but I wanted to tell you guys about it now when I had time.

Wow, that sounds amazing! I love walking in forests, and crossing streams over logs! You wouldn't have had such an "easy" time of it, if there were dinosaurs rumbling along, but those forests were beautiful in the film. And Way to Go! keeping up with the young 'uns. You Rock! :loyal:

• Like 2

I didn't try the Cioppino stew, since I don't really like mussels or clams, but my son tried it, and loved it.  I did get some great seafood though. 

Can't wait to see the pics, sounds like you're having an absolute blast. That area has always been on my To Travel To list, but after your descriptions, it just got bumped up a few slots.

You should do the Washington/Oregon/California coast trip sometime. It is amazing.

• Like 1

I'm home!

Had a great epic trip. Wednesday we did bunches of hikes around Crater Lake.It is such an amazing beautiful place.The lake is this gorgeous blue color, bluer than anything I've ever seen.

Funny story:  The hike down to Crater Lake was listed as strenuous. Mr Incredible and Dash looked at it, and said we had done steeper hikes, and this should be no problem. Going down, it didn't seem especially steep. The way back however was a different story. It didn't look super steep, but I was really struggling. Dash, of course, was doing fine. I was trying to outlast the guys and not say I needed a rest. But, I had to give in and say I needed a rest.Took a rest long enough to get my breath back and then started again. Mr Incredible was breathing hard too, and he asked for the next break. Halfway up, we realized the sign said the hike was strenuous due to not just the steepness, but the elevation combined with the steepness. At the top of the hike it was around 6,900 feet high (higher than Denver Colorado)No wonder we were struggling. After that, I went slower and did better. The hike was very worth it.

Today I'm planning to work on my challenge goals. Glad I waited until I was back. I just couldn't focus or get excited about them before, but now I can't wait.

• Like 9

Have a blast on your vacation! While you are at Crater Lake, if you have time, take the side-trip hike to view the Pinnacles on the south end of the loop. I thought was very scenic and a fun diversion from looking at the lake (which is also really cool).

On another note, I'm pretty much a grown-up person and Cars was the last movie to make me tear up. Please don't tell anyone. :)

Did that hike,it was very cool. 

When Tinkerer said to view the pinnacles, I thought he meant mountain peaks. But the Pinnacles are actually volcanic formations formed from the steam coming from volcanoes. They are super cool, and hiking through them makes you feel like maybe aliens made them. I haven't downloaded actual pictures but here are some via google.

crla10114.jpeg

300xNxrc13-ignimbrite-MyrnaMartin.jpg.pa

• Like 3

Sounds like a great vacation. One of my favorites was our Redwoods, Crater Lake trip.

It was great fun.  

While we were driving on the highway, we saw this large statue in front of a store. We couldn't figure out what in the world it was. It looked sort of like a cross between a bear and a pig. Whatever it was, we all agreed it was ugly. When we stopped later at a visitor center we saw that is was most likely a giant prehistoric ground sloth. If I had known I would have taken a picture for you.  :) The  statue made it look rather ugly, but by it's size it must have been a rather scary looking beast. Or maybe not.

GiantGroundSloth.jpg

• Like 2

Lots more walking today. Had boiled shrimp and fries for lunch and then dinner at In-N-Out. I had almost 1/2 pound of shrimp :rapture: And I love In-N- Out fries. I

Went on a great hike near Crescent CIty. One of my son's friends was in Crescent CIty at the same time, and he had a place picked out to hike, so we tagged along. After getting to the park, we drove about 10 miles down a narrow, steep, windy road.Then we arrived at the Ranger Station. She told us the road got narrower, and there was a "stream" to cross. We thanked her and drove on. It had rained hard the night before. After a bit of driving, we arrived at the "stream". It was really more like a small lake. We only have a Toyota, and I was doubtful about our crossing it. But Mr. Incredible doesn't give up that easy and he said we could make it. So we drove through it, without any problem. I'll post pictures when I get home. The hike was called Fern Canyon. It is at the bottom of a canyon. The walls of the canyon are covered with ferns. It was a perfect assassin hiking trail. There was a small stream at the bottom of the canyon, and there were small wooden plank bridges to help you cross the trail over the stream.As we walked further on the bridges disappeared, and you had to cross on logs.Had a great time practicing my log balancing skills, as we traversed the stream atop the logs. And then there were some logs that were across the trail , and in order to keep walking we had to climb over the logs.. At one point, we came across a giant root ball of tree covering the trail, and we had to duck under it to continue. Walking along, the huge canyons walls on each side, stream bed below, I felt like I was walking in the Shire. Part of Jurassic Park II was filmed here, and I could easily imagine a dinosaur rumbling down the canyon. And I was able to keep up with the 25 year olds, so I was happy.

Love the In-N-Out double double animal style although I am nowhere near one.

Love the In-N-Out double double animal style although I am nowhere near one.

We don't have any here, so it is a treat to get them on vacation. Is the animal style the loaded fries? My son had that, it looked so good. 

• Like 1