• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl's Epic Questing and Other Stuff

Did that hike,it was very cool.

When Tinkerer said to view the pinnacles, I thought he meant mountain peaks. But the Pinnacles are actually volcanic formations formed from the steam coming from volcanoes. They are super cool, and hiking through them makes you feel like maybe aliens made them.

I'm glad you liked it! They really are pretty different and cool.

Back from vacation, on with the challenge.

I've been bulking over the summer, and a bit more"bulking" over vacation. Time to switch to leaning out. My plan is to cut for the next four week, then maintain for a week, then bulk for 7 weeks. I'm doing the whole bulk-cut thing as an experiment. I gained some muscle over my bulk, but also some fat. Now is the time to see how easy it is to lose. Which means watching what I eat and tracking.

Goals:

1)Track what I eat on Myfitnesspal 6 days a week-eat at a deficit (not putting a certain number as I may change it up a bit)

2) Drink the water and track it 5 days a week; 60 ounces water,or herbal tea

3) video- pull up, TGU and swing

Other stuff:

I wiffled and waffled about whether to do the Simple and Sinister program this time, or to take a  break. I'm really frustrated with my TGU slow progress. But then the idea of doing a new program and being super careful about my diet sounded like a lot to take on. I decided to stick with the S & S, but only try and do it 3 days a week. The other days can be free to do sledgehammer, rings, or whatever. And to chill (at least try) about any progress I make with the 35lb.

Bought a fitbit and can't wait to play with it. It has a heartrate checker on it. I plan to use that with my KB swings and also my walking.  Also switching this challenge from just counting my walk to step counting. I'm going to try and see how many days I can hit 10,000 steps.

• Like 9

Welcome back to the challenge although, to me, your "vacation" sounded kind of like an assassin mini-challenge  :)

I agree with Mom2sjm! Welcome back, but it sounded like you were pretty active anyway, and the fact that you were able to do so many stuff because your fit and healthy! Glad you had a great vacation.

• Like 1

Weighed in when I got back from vacation at 128 lb, and thought not bad, I pretty much maintained  my weight over vacation. Over the weekend, I watched what I ate. This morning I weighed myself at 129.9 lbs :nightmare: Really?! Anyway, I had decided that Monday would be more official start number. Maybe right now my body is rebelling at going from the wonders of vacation eating to deficit eating, and  soon it will surrender and just lose some fat.

Waist measurement is 30"

• Like 1

Welcome back!  I'm glad you had such an awesome vacation!  

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain.  It's well within the margin of just being a little bit of bloating or water retention.  And even if it isn't, you have good enough habits that everything will snap back to where it's supposed to be pretty quickly.  

• Like 3

Welcome back!  I'm glad you had such an awesome vacation!  

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain.  It's well within the margin of just being a little bit of bloating or water retention.  And even if it isn't, you have good enough habits that everything will snap back to where it's supposed to be pretty quickly.  

Thanks. 

Today was my first day of  the challenge.

I tracked my food and hit my goals, I think. Ate at a friend's so food stuff was approximate. I just barely made it, would have liked some more wiggle room since it a guesstimate, but pretty good. We brought chocolate that we bought from San Francisco and I kept it to 2 squares, despite it being super yummy and wanting more.

I feel like I'm eating so little, which is funny because it is the amount I was eating before I started bulking and vacation, but now my stomach has been programmed to eat more. Not really hungry, just want to eat more. I think this bulk/cutting thing will work for me.  It is sort of nice to know that I need to cut, but it is only for a short time, as opposed to when I get to my perfect weight. 

In other news, when I went to my naturapth Dr, my blood pressure was still high. It gets higher at the Dr's, but still it was in the prehypertensive stage at home. But she prescribed me a new herb mix called Cardio, and checked my bp at the drugstore today 126/76-very good. I started taking it the day of my vacation, and despite the not so great food and eating out tons it still lowered it, yay! And I think I really like this Dr, which is saying a lot for me. She listened to what I had been doing for my blood pressure and was very encouraging.

Played with my new fitbit today. Got 10,000 steps. On my walk I tried to make sure my pulse was about 100, which meant I had to really put on my speed burst. Used it for my kettlebells too, which is the main reason I wanted it. I've been reading on the kettlebell forums how people use a HR monitor to make sure they are pacing the kettlebell swing correctly, hard enough to get your pulse up, but not so much to burn yourself out. For me, I should be my pulse should be  between 120-`130.  I tried with the smaller bell that I have already mastered, just to see if I had really mastered it. Must of my swings were at about 90, with the next to the last set at about 100, and the last swings hitting 120. Which means I really have that bell down! Tomorrow I will try with the 44 lb one.

As I type, I'm finishing my 8th glass of water, so hit that goal.

• Like 4

... I tried with the smaller bell that I have already mastered, just to see if I had really mastered it. Must of my swings were at about 90, with the next to the last set at about 100, and the last swings hitting 120. Which means I really have that bell down! Tomorrow I will try with the 44 lb one.

As I type, I'm finishing my 8th glass of water, so hit that goal.

It will be very interesting to see how your heart rate jumps with the 20 kg 'bell.  Using HR instead of the 'talk test' has really helped me recover faster and exercise more often.  Also, my evening blood pressure resting heart rate have dropped nicely since I began S&S.

It will be very interesting to see how your heart rate jumps with the 20 kg 'bell.  Using HR instead of the 'talk test' has really helped me recover faster and exercise more often.  Also, my evening blood pressure resting heart rate have dropped nicely since I began S&S.

Did it today, and was really happy with the results.

From my workout journal:

Swings 10 x 10 44 lb. Was able to do several set before my pulse reached 120, just taking a couple breaths between sets,  onset 5 pulse was at 120, took several breaths until it went down to 100 finished the sets never peaked above 130. My muscles gave out before my lungs/heart

Will be interesting to see if my working to keep it in the zone consistently helps my blood pressure. I was sort of surprised that it didn't get higher, everyone on the Strongfirst forums kept saying how hard they had to start out slow because they kept going over. I think I have determined that I actually need to push it a bit harder. Maybe just because I have been doing the swings for a while? I'm using the Maffetone formula, which puts my peak at 120, which I thought was kind of low, but I have to work pretty hard to get it up there. 

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of using a HRM and building an aerobic base, I think it's the missing piece for a lot of people.

KBs and the Maffetone method don't make sense to me though. What information am I missing?

It's my understanding that you use Maffetone to do LSD, like jogging (or rucking if you're a Ranger) and after 3 months you add in intervals, which KB swings are good for.

Thanks JRosto. It's my understanding that you should do S&S almost everyday.

I read the article, the alactic system is what you use for sprints, then you recover with the aerobic system. This still reads to me that you should do 20s. intervals and rest completely. Which doesn't sound like Maffetone to me.

I like the StrongFirst forum, it's full of fitness nerds. I'll read that thread when I have some brain space and see what I'm missing.