• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tinkerer

tinkerer hammers out some progress

P1020752_zps1pstn0f1.jpg

The mountains constantly call to me. The quotes people post from John Muir make me long to wander the untouched ridges and meadows of the high-country. And yet, I also love the company of friends and the comfort of a good meal and the dogs laying around the house.

After a few months of adventures, my mind drifts toward the projects I have left unfinished and the holidays to come. This has been a summer of dreams, I've climbed in the alpine wilderness, kayaked in canyons few have seen, and slept under the stars miles from the nearest road. But the chill in the air reminds me of the winter to come. My travels are not yet finished. I have plans to see an old friend and fish the rivers of Bozeman. Twice during this challenge, work will call me from home. It is time, though, to get to work.

This challenge must provide for progress and allow for a substantial effort to be placed elsewhere. This challenge is a...challenge...to design. Time is the commodity I most lack. Each goal needs to be designed for efficiency to allow for other goals to also be achieved.

I will be experimenting with my schedule, which is more flexible than I allow it to be, during this time. I've been arriving at work at 6:45 every day. There is no expectation to do this (although twice a week I have a 7:00 meeting). Three days per week I could arrive at 8:00 and nothing would be affected in a negative way. I need to permit myself this flexibility.

To keep this fun, I will try to post pictures of my projects as well as my adventures throughout the challenge.

Goals

It may seem like there is a lot here but this is really just a checklist of how I would like to spend the next six weeks.

Dedication to Projects

Spend 4 weekend days and 4 weeknights working on house projects. The main focus of this work is on a bathroom remodel which has dragged on for far too long.

Morning Routine

Three times per week, I'll do one of the combinations below. The idea is to do something short enough to not drastically affect my sleep and yet strenuous enough to at least maintain my current level of strength.

• Pullups and L-Sit
  • Dips and Hangboard
  • Squats and Pull ups
  • Rows and Pushups

Cardio

Run twice a week

One of these two is either with my wife or the dog

It's OK to sub biking to work for one of these but as that takes a lot more time, it is not preferred.

Climbing

P1020242_zpsocgyqenn.jpg

Go rock climbing once per week. This is a great mental release and helps to keep the rest of the week a little more pleasant.

Mental

Finish reading Training for the New Alpinism

Stats

Take before and after measurements and pics for Progress/Analysis. I don't expect this challenge to change much but I want to get in the habit of doing this.

Chest

Arms

Thighs

Weight

• Like 2

Looks like a nice Challenge you've come up with for yourself.  Looking forward to the bathroom remodel updates, we did the master shower last year.  Ended up having to get someone in to do the final tile work, but the rest was a fun project with my Sweetie.

I got gone from a conference last night.

Pretty tired this morning but I did three sets of pullups and squats. At the conference I met up with friends and went climbing (indoors).

I'm a little behind for the week but I think they're is time to catch up.

• Like 2

Pfff the mountains call to me too, and I have only experienced them one this summer on the most epic hike of my life... There's something so beautiful and epic about them!

Morning routine seems like a great goal! For me, the morning is a very accurate way to predict how the rest of my day goes. If my day starts well, I have a productive day. If not... Well then I'm usually very lazy :P

What kind of dog do you have? :)

We have faith in your awesome catch-up abilities. :)

All fixed.

To catch up I need to do 2 runs and 2 morning routines. The way to make this happen is to go for a run after work today.

Pfff the mountains call to me too, and I have only experienced them one this summer on the most epic hike of my life... There's something so beautiful and epic about them!

Morning routine seems like a great goal! For me, the morning is a very accurate way to predict how the rest of my day goes. If my day starts well, I have a productive day. If not... Well then I'm usually very lazy :tongue:

What kind of dog do you have? :)

I hope this morning isn't an accurate predictor of my day. I kept having my eyes slump shut as I tried to stay awake long enough to do a set of pullups.

I have a Golden Retriever whose sole mission in life is to convince people to pat him on the head. Pats = Happy Dog. No Pats = Sad Puppy Eyes.

• Like 1

To catch up I need to do 2 runs and 2 morning routines. The way to make this happen is to go for a run after work today.

I hope this morning isn't an accurate predictor of my day. I kept having my eyes slump shut as I tried to stay awake long enough to do a set of pullups.

I have a Golden Retriever whose sole mission in life is to convince people to pat him on the head. Pats = Happy Dog. No Pats = Sad Puppy Eyes.

So the pullups didn't even wake you up? They would certainly wake me up :P And your dog sounds very very adorable <3 <3 

Went for that run after work. 1.2 miles with the dog and then 3.2 miles with my wife. Not super fast or anything but it felt great to be outside and running.

Yay! Being outside gives you energy, it's science *cough* but it really feels that way for me :D 

I already love that dog :).

Time to check in! I was falling off track mid-week and you guys gave me the encouragement needed to get back on a roll. I'm happy to say week one was a success!

Dedication to Projects
Spend 4 weekend days and 4 weeknights working on house projects.
This weekend I spent 2 days working on the house.
Day 1 - Pressure wash everything! This was kind of a double-credit with climbing as while I was on the roof I used my climbing gear to anchor myself to the chimneys. I didn't fall but it was kind of fun pretending I knew what I was doing. At the end of the day I was covered in moss and dirt. All in all, a success.
Day 2 (today) - I demolished some old galvanized steel sewer piping. This required: cutting through plaster with a masonry blade (respirator required and dust everywhere!), using a reciprocating saw to cut a bunch of pipes in two, and one solid hour of hammering with a 3 lb sledgehammer to separate a slip joint which has been solidifying for the last 67 years. Unfortunately during the hammering I made a very small hole in the kitchen wall.
IMAG0695_zpsbgrw6yxh.jpg
These things happen.

All in all, slow progress but progress nonetheless.

Morning Routine
Thursday:
5, 4, 5 Pullups
5, 5, 5 Pistol Squats (each side)

Friday:
5, 5, 5 Dips
15, 15, 15 seconds hangboard

Sunday:
5, 4, 5, 6 Pullups
15, 15, 15 seconds L-Sit on Rings.

Nothing amazing but I got it done.

Cardio
Run twice a week
Friday:
1.2 miles at 10:43 / mile with the dog.
3.2 miles at 10:03 / mile with my wife

Sunday
3.2 miles at 7:32 / mile solo
According to the training book I'm reading (see below) I am probably running too fast here but I really enjoy it so *shrug* for now...

Climbing
I met my goal of going once per week going climbing Monday night with old friends at an indoor gym. I tried a bunch of hard stuff and was neither pleased nor disappointed in the results. Made it most of the way up a 5.11 and finished a bunch of 5.10 stuff.

Mental
Finish reading Training for the New Alpinism
I didn't read much this week.

Stats
I have not done this yet.
  • Like 3

Great first week! Do you feel like you're using your mornings more efficiently already? I like the idea of doing two exercises in the morning, it should not take too long and gets the work done. Way to go :).

Great first week! Do you feel like you're using your mornings more efficiently already? I like the idea of doing two exercises in the morning, it should not take too long and gets the work done. Way to go :).

I don't feel like I'm more efficient yet but I have been doing something almost every morning for the last week or so. That being said, I'm getting up 15 minutes earlier, working out for 15-30 minutes, and I don't feel rushed at all so perhaps I am being efficient without even noticing.

Today: Squats and Pullups

Yesterday: Dips and Rings Pushups

I can't figure out how to make climbing happen this week. We have company through tonight and I'm on the road until Sunday. Perhaps climbing twice next week is an acceptable substitute. I can still get the running in if I make that happen tomorrow early in the morning.

• Like 2

I'm on a vacation trip with my college friend. I did a pushups workout this morning and went for a quick run this afternoon. It felt kind of weird to go for the run instead of visiting but I think it was a good thing.

The good news is: this is what the fishing looks like.

IMAG0696_zpsbsiswwph.jpg

The bad news is that our car is in the shop and needs an entire new engine. It's hopefully covered under the warranty so that is good...

• Like 2

Morning routine today was pullups and L-sit. I was exhausted from the weekend so it was more a check the box thing than an effective workout, but I did something!

Planning to climb this Wednesday.

Went for a run with my wife after work yesterday and did a dual routine of dips and hangboard training this morning. It's looking like climbing tomorrow is going to work best.

• Like 1

Wow, that kind of fish really also exist in real life, not only in Disney movies? Great that you caught one :).

Hope the climbing was fun!

It's exciting to me to hear that people find the area I live to be so interesting! I suppose we are all guilty of assuming our home area is "normal" but it's fun to see the reaction of people from further away. Yes, there are fish like that in almost every lake, stream, and river around here. It's great!

Have fun climbing dood

We had an OK time. Both of us had to work late and we didn't have much daylight left. We still climbed a couple routes and it was fun to get out. My wife is getting pretty good!

Today I went for a fantastic run in the morning. I woke up and was excited to go, the weather was perfect and I had a plan to do a six-mile run at a reasonable pace. After that, I spent the day working on the house.

From my run:

IMAG0718_zpschjqrdhp.jpg

• Like 1