• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tinkerer

tinkerer hammers out some progress

It's exciting to me to hear that people find the area I live to be so interesting! I suppose we are all guilty of assuming our home area is "normal" but it's fun to see the reaction of people from further away. Yes, there are fish like that in almost every lake, stream, and river around here. It's great!

No way that the area you live in is the same as mine. You have mountains, big lakes and trees with low-hanging branches that are not in straight lines. Over here, every square metre is planned, including "nature". We  have other great things in this area, but outside space to exercise is not one of them ;).

Week Three Summary

2/2 Runs

2/3 Morning Workouts

Worked on reading Training for the New Alpinism

2 Weekend Days spent on house projects this week

4/4 Weekends complete

0/4 Weekdays complete

1/1 Climbing this week. 2/3 weeks so far

Here is what a saw blade looks like if you use it to cut plaster. The teeth used to run the full length of the blade.

IMAG0721_1_zpsdl0fmhir.jpg

• Like 2

This week is not off to a great start. I've been up too late at night and keep choosing sleep over my morning workouts. Today I'm at work from 7am to 7pm or 8pm so it's tricky to get in a run or a climb.

That being said, I can still make everything happen with the possible exception of climbing. Unless we end up going somewhere fun this weekend to climb, I doubt that will fit into the schedule.

Do you have more to cut?  They make blades for Hardi Board that last fairly well.

• Like 1

Today was a better morning. I woke up at 5am and did pullups and dips. Long term, I'm not sure doing two exercises sporadically is actually beneficial but this morning I was able to knock out a set of 5, 4, 5, 6, 7 pullups with much better form than I had 10 weeks ago. So I suppose that is progress.

No way that the area you live in is the same as mine. You have mountains, big lakes and trees with low-hanging branches that are not in straight lines. Over here, every square metre is planned, including "nature". We  have other great things in this area, but outside space to exercise is not one of them ;).

I didn't mean that the areas were the same. I was thinking of your recent trip to Barcelona and how an entirely different portion of the world is open for you to explore. From here, visiting Spain is the kind of trip reserved for those with multi-national employers, those with large amounts of money, or a trip which is planned for upwards of a year.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here because of the mountains and lakes. I think I would also love living somewhere with more culture and history.

Do you have more to cut?  They make blades for Hardi Board that last fairly well.

Sorry! I quoted this and didn't reply. I have lots of house projects remaining so I'll be looking for those blades. An angle grinder with a masonry cut-off wheel does very well but it's not quite as precise as is needed for an outlet box.

• Like 2

...Sorry! I quoted this and didn't reply. I have lots of house projects remaining so I'll be looking for those blades. An angle grinder with a masonry cut-off wheel does very well but it's not quite as precise as is needed for an outlet box.

And an angle grinder is dusty!  Clean up is a lot easier with a blade :)

I find it really impressive that you can get up at 5 to exercise! Dips and pull ups are big compound exercises, I'm sure that doing them sporadically is better than not doing them all :). Just make sure you keep things balanced though (core, glutes, legs?).

I understand that living in a small European country is also great, and every part of the world has its own merits. We have cultural heritage anywhere we go, you have tons of nature. I really like the culture I live in, but sometimes I'm just jealous of the beautiful nature in your place ;).

• Like 1

Me too. I always love the photos you put up (by which internet magic do you do that by the way?), your backyard looks so grand and unspoilt :)

Sounds like you are doing well this challenge -are you going to be busy with work next week too?

Sent from my SM-N7505 using Tapatalk

And an angle grinder is dusty! Clean up is a lot easier with a blade :)

I found some ceramics blades at the store but they didn't fit my saw. Oh well, I'll just keep using the same system which seems to work OK. I do feel like I'm working harder if I make a big mess vs. a small one...

I find it really impressive that you can get up at 5 to exercise! Dips and pull ups are big compound exercises, I'm sure that doing them sporadically is better than not doing them all :). Just make sure you keep things balanced though (core, glutes, legs?).

I understand that living in a small European country is also great, and every part of the world has its own merits. We have cultural heritage anywhere we go, you have tons of nature. I really like the culture I live in, but sometimes I'm just jealous of the beautiful nature in your place ;).

My thought is that I mostly get my legs etc. through running and hiking, although moving forward I'll be developing a more specific plan along those lines.

Me too. I always love the photos you put up (by which internet magic do you do that by the way?), your backyard looks so grand and unspoilt :)

Sounds like you are doing well this challenge -are you going to be busy with work next week too?

Sent from my SM-N7505 using Tapatalk

Thanks! For NF, I use photobucket with an account I made for that purpose. I post most of my adventure pics to Flickr for sharing with friends and adventure buddies. If you (or anyone else following along) would like the Flickr address just send me a PM.

This week should be a little less crazy...more to follow with an update.

• Like 1

Week Four Update

Well, it was a crazy week but I still managed to accomplish some things. At the end of the week I had to return to Bozeman, MT to pick up the car which had broken down two weeks earlier. My wife went along and we made it into a (sort of) fun trip but it was still a lot of driving. At least the repairs were under warranty. Here is our tent on the Continental Divide (about 6500 feet elevation).

IMAG0733_zpsxamymebp.jpg

2/2 Runs

Two fun runs. One with my wife early in the morning with headlamps and one long run on my own. On my run, I ran through a local forested park next to the lake and really enjoyed that. Will be repeating! I also found a fun hill looking at Strava for future training purposes.

3.4 miles at 10:14 / mi

5.9 miles at 8:58 / mi

2/3 Morning Workouts

Continued Reading Training for the New Alpinism

I am enjoying the book a lot. I think my next challenge will be incorporating the training plan within the book. The prime goals are marathon-type training for all day endurance combined with strength training for better muscle recruitment and improved performance. Think: long runs, hill sprints, strength training, and core workouts.

1 days spent on house projects this week

I took part of Friday off and spent about six hours on the house. I'm counting this as two "evenings". In the picture below you can see the new color (dark grey) we painted the chimney. It used to be the "chocolate chip mint" color you can see below the grey.

4/4 Weekends complete

2/4 Weekdays complete

IMAG0725_zpsfr5asrmg.jpg

0/1 Climbing this week. 2/4 weeks so far.

• Like 2

This week is going pretty well so far. I got a bunch of reading done on Monday night. Did pullups on Monday and hangboard and L-sits yesterday morning. Today, my wife and I ran together at 5am. It's fun having the company and getting out before the City wakes up.

• Like 2

Nice :). I'm still impressed by you getting uo early, but also by the fact that you can do L-sits :). Have fun with the rest of the week.

I don't actually enjoy getting up early but the way my life is working right now sort of requires it as a solution. I really enjoy the bodyweight static hold practice and should do more of it. Long long ago, that is actually what got me into the NF forums.

After all the recent ab work, and reading this, I decided to give an L Sit a try.  Nope, not yet :)

There are a lot of cool progressions to get you to this! With the progress you've been making it shouldn't take long.

I'm signed up for a fun-run 5k on Saturday (which will be 2/2 runs this week). I'm really looking forward to the run. It's been a long time since I've done a social run.

• Like 2

I had a fantastic time at the 5K run yesterday. My wife was able to join at the last minute as were a couple of our friends. The event was put on by the City that I work for so I knew a lot of people there. There were about a little over 200 people racing and I was able to come in 3rd! Although I'm very happy with my time (22 minutes) it was nowhere near the winning time of 17:25. For me, that is the fastest I've run a 5K since my injury last winter! There were no real awards or results as it was mostly set up to be a fun thing. Afterward they had beer tasting.

After the run we went to the annual banquet and awards ceremony for our Mountaineering Club. Although I didn't love sitting for 4 hours, it was fun to see some of my friends again and the event inspired me to set some mountaineering goals for next year.

• Like 2

Wow, congratulations on doing so well in the race!!!  Third place is great out of 200 people!!!!

To be fair, the point of the race for most people was not to win but rather to finish and enjoy beer afterward. It was very non-competitive.

• Like 1

Week 5

2/2 Runs

Another really fun running week. The first run was again with my wife early in the morning. She set a PR for a 5K so that was cool. The second run was the 5K fun run.

3.4 miles at 9:35 / mi

5k in 22:11 at 7:03 / mi

2/3 Morning Workouts

Continued Reading Training for the New Alpinism

Still reading! I spent some time last night figuring out how to start the training program they outline. I'm not sure yet why I'll be training but I expect to kick it off for the next challenge.

2 partial days spent on house projects this week

I'm still making progress here but it seems to be taking for-ev-er! Still a lot to do.

4/4 Weekends complete

4/4 Weekdays complete

0/1 Days Climbing

2/5 Days so far this challenge

• Like 1

So far this week I've done Pushups and Hanging Rows on Monday and Pullups and Squats on Tuesday.

What I'm learning is that I really enjoy running in the morning but do not enjoy strength training. I feel too rushed to warm up properly and too groggy to perform well. I'm not disappointed about this; it's actually nice to realize when things work the best to fit into my schedule.

Congratulations on your run :). 22:11 on a 5K is very nice, well done!

Good luck on your last week. Make that climbing happen ;).

Thanks!

I'm a little sad climbing hasn't been a priority but because of having time available I've been meeting my other goals. I am getting eager to get back on a wall though.

• Like 1

Heading in to the last couple of days, here is a quick update:

Wednesday I worked on the house project after work.

Sometime (I can't remember exactly when) I finished reading "Training for the New Alpinism". Yesterday we were going to go climbing. Instead I worked through the strength training workout from New Aplinism. I found it pretty good, with lots of options for scalability. I'm really excited to put the knowledge and plan from this book into action for the next challenge.

• Like 2

Hey Tinkerer, how was week six and the challenge in general?   It looks like you nailed this one with the runs and house DIY.   Do you have any big benchmarks in alpinism to work towards?  Any specific mountains to climb and routes to charter?

A little late for a wrap up, but here is my summary. Overall, this challenge was a good one for me. I may not have accomplished 100% of what i set out to do but I've learned a lot and feel like I used my time (mostly) well.

Dedication to Projects
Spend 4 weekend days and 4 weeknights working on house projects. The main focus of this work is on a bathroom remodel which has dragged on for far too long.

I actually put in more time than this on the project. I've got the plumbing closer to finished, the electrical almost all the way finished, and started on rebuilding a wall that needs "adjusted". It has been fun to see some actual progress.

Morning Routine
Three times per week, I'll do one of the combinations below. The idea is to do something short enough to not drastically affect my sleep and yet strenuous enough to at least maintain my current level of strength.

• Pullups and L-Sit
  • Dips and Hangboard
  • Squats and Pull ups
  • Rows and Pushups

I did this about 2 times per week instead of three. Not great but I learned that I greatly prefer doing strength training stuff in the evening or afternoon as opposed to the mornings. This was good to realize as I'm planning to incorporate more strength training in the next go around.

Cardio
Run twice a week
One of these two is either with my wife or the dog

I ran a lot this challenge! Well, a lot compared to previous running. As hoped, I was able to run with my wife a bunch (even at a fun-run 5K) and also able to get some runs in on my own. I experimented with various aerobic zones (trying to run at a pace at which I could breathe through my nose or a conversational pace) to prep for more purposeful aerobic conditioning in the next challenge.

Climbing
Go rock climbing once per week.

I didn't really do this. The first couple weeks went OK but between running and working on the house and traveling and visitors...climbing wasn't a priority.

Mental
Finish reading Training for the New Alpinism

DONE! This will be the basis for my next challenge and for training through the winter. It was really interesting but also pretty long. If anyone is interested in a read on training for long days of mountain climbing (or whatever) I'd recommend it.

Stats

Take Starting Stats

I did not do this, yet. I'm in an airport right now so this probably isn't a great time to do it either.

• Like 2

Hey Tinkerer, how was week six and the challenge in general?   It looks like you nailed this one with the runs and house DIY.   Do you have any big benchmarks in alpinism to work towards?  Any specific mountains to climb and routes to charter?

I'm looking at training this winter and climbing Mt. Rainier (by Seattle) in the spring. I am outlining some "epic quest" type goals (like yours) to roll out as I'll be turning 31 at the beginning of the next challenge. On that list are a couple of general climbing goals: a local alpine, rock summit and a technical snow/ice summit. I don't have the specific peaks picked out yet, though.

• Like 1

Great job on this challenge, and your goal of climbing Mt.  Rainier in the Spring is pretty awesome.  Looking forward to following along with your upcoming "epic quests".