Mac's Slow Learnin'

Mac

Once again, I find myself running alongside the challenge train, jumping on at the last minute. I somehow thought the last challenge ended tomorrow, so I'm sprinting to catch up!

The last challenge (Mac Reboot) was the first one I had done in nearly two years (even though my avi shows me as a Newbie, I'm actually an Oldie, working on challenges since 2011, but as usual computers find ways to screw me over). ​I only did so-so on the last challenge but I sure learned a lot, starting with the fact that it's not so easy to restart habits once you've abandoned them. Some took again pretty good, some didn't. This challenge is a chance to analyze what worked and rethink my quest strategy. The number one most important but unwritten goal for this challenge: pay attention to the finish line of the damn challenge! The written goals are:

1. 90% FTW...and track it!

Last time, I tried to jump right back into my old successful habits of eating no grains, no sugars, no dairy 90% of the time, knowing that had worked well for me in the past. Well, it didn't work. I just flailed with this goal over the past six weeks. I still know that's a good goal, but I need to figure out why it was so hard for me last time. So, I'm going to try keeping a food journal, something that I've never done before. I'm hoping that adding a little accountability and quick opportunities for reflection will help me understand when and why I step away from my goals and if I need to give myself more or less leeway to find a happy balance without feeling deprived. I've been there before, so I'd like to understand why I'm not there now. I will make quick notes in a doc on my phone of what I eat (not calories or anything, just literally what I eat for each email, snack, etc) and if I am diverging from my goal, why I'm making that decision at that time.

2. Lift x 2, walk x 2, something else x 1

I just started working on my strength training again during my last challenge, and that was definitely one of the high points. I did pretty well with that until the last week of the challenge, when I let travel and other distractions get in the way. I also had a goal of running, walking, hiking, and biking several times every week. I think it was a little overambitious in terms of scheduling, so I'm reducing my obligation to 5 workouts a week: 2 involving strength training, 2 involving walking or hiking, and 1 involving anything else. For strength training I will count either an independent lifting workout or one of the classes at my gym focused on upper body, core, or lower body (pretty challenging and easy to build into my day). I will try to include at least one real hike per week, probably on the weekends, but I've also been enjoying really long walks lately, especially on weekday evenings after work. The fifth workout can be anything I want to do and have time for: yoga at home, running (I've been so OFF running for weeks now, and I'm not going to push it, but if I get in the mood again, great), more hiking, more lifting, etc. Five days a week should be manageable for me, and I need to make sure I do some of this activity outside.

3. Be Healthy...

I moved from Dallas to LA almost six months ago, and I haven't yet seen a doctor, dentist, or optometrist. All my prescriptions, contact lenses, etc are about to run out next month, so it's time to stop procrastinating: I will make appointments with my GP (had to pick one for my insurance but haven't ever been), a dentist, and an optometrist. I will figure out how to submit these receipts for reimbursement via my FSA (damn paperwork). Week one goal: call offices and make appointments. By week six, I want to have all the appointments done, and receipts submitted for reimbursement.

4. ...and Wealthy and Wise

After six months here in LA, I really have no good sense of how my cash flow is going (it's net positive, but I don't know by how much) or whether I'm withholding the right amounts for the IRS or 401k. I eventually have to rollover funds from my old pension system into something else, probably my new 401k, but I am totally paralyzed by thinking about these things--finances are my kryptonite. For now, I have the proceeds from my house in Texas sitting in my savings account (I may try to buy here in LA next year--scary!), which just confuses the hell out of me because I don't really notice the small changes from my monthly spending like I'm used to. I can actually get a lot of help from my brother-in-law on this because he LOVES doing these kinds of calculations for some kind of sick reason, but I do need to do some work to gather the basic information and make decisions about what I want to do. So, I'll be needing to spend some quality time with my bank statements and mint.com and my old pension plan to get my financial life in order.

Week one goal: pay bills, get caught up on filing receipts and paperwork. Week two: figure out current cash flow and set savings goals. Week three: figure out IRS and 401k withholdings, adjust if necessary (this will definitely need the b-I-l's help). Week four: Look at old pension and 403b paperwork and see what best options are. Week five: roll over funds from old pension/403b. Week six: credit audit.  Wow, this one is ambitious!

Bonus goal (which will, I hope, make the other four quests more achievable): no Twitter for next six weeks.

Because I have piss poor willpower, I have made this one easier on myself by having a friend change my password and reset email. I love Twitter (clearly), but man is it a timesuck. I'm super curious to see what kind of difference this makes in my day-to-day. I have a feeling that I waste more time on the twitter machine than I even realize!

• Like 3

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Last challenge I didn't bother with tracking measurements, but this time around, I'm more into accountability, so I'll start with that today.

Weight: 164.0

Chest: 32 5/8"

Waist: 31 1/2"

Bellybutton: 34 1/8"

Hips: 38"

Thigh: 24 1/2"

Arm: 12 1/8"

Also, I think I suck at taking measurements, so I'm never too confident that I'm getting accurate numbers or being consistent in technique. So the only ones I really trust here are waist and bellybutton, being the hardest to get wrong.

I'm putting together my shopping list for the week. I'm thinking of turkey and zucchini burgers with green onions and cumin from the Jerusalem cookbook. They have an amazing yogurt-based sumac sauce, but I think I'll just make a half-batch as a kind of condiment (keeping an eye on dairy!). I'll also make my weekly frittata that serves as breakfasts for the entire week--good combo of veggies and protein, and a great way to use up leftover veggies, which this week is kale and more zucchini and carrots. I also have sausages and roasted cauliflower in the freezer that can make some quick evening meals, and I'll buy some sweet potatoes to have on hand as well, and of course salad greens and some avocadoes and tomatoes, and fruit for snacking. I think that should get me through the week. I'm expecting these first couple of weeks to be the hardest....

Mary Oliver

Week 0 confession: I almost had sesame chicken wings from my local takeout for dinner, as a last terrible meal before starting the challenge, but luckily when I walked over, they were closed. Saved by the Sabbath! So, I came home and made my weekly frittata instead. It's so full of all the leftover veggies in my fridge--kale, shreddedd carrots, parsley, and halved cherry tomotoes--that I'm not sure the eggs will be able to hold it all together. Sure is pretty though, all green and dotted with red. I just slid it into the oven to set up on top, and I'll have a slice for dinner with a green side salad. The rest will be my breakfasts for the rest of the week. Now I've officially eaten up all of my leftovers and can start tomorrow with a clean slate.

Day 1 on my Twitter Fast has been interesting. I've been procrastinating just as bad on the work that I brought home to do over the weekend, but my procrastination has been much more productive: floors swept and mopped, laundry done, dreaded run to Target completed, various household tasks tackled, including one I had put off forever: shortening some venetian blinds I bought for my new apartment months ago. I did the first one a while back and it was such a PITA that I had never bothered with the other one until today. It looks SO much better now that I'm deeply annoyed I let myself put it off for so long! Story of my damn life.

I hope that everyone is having a good Challenge Eve and looking forward to kicking ass in Week One!

Mary Oliver

Once again we are almost the same person when it comes to goals. Welcome back (again!), and looking forward to seeing how your challenge goes. I can definitely relate to the doctor visit goal - My last challenge had a lot of that and I still have more to do.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Your tracking food will unearth some surprises.  It seems to do so for everyone.  Great tool for recognizing/controlling the little bits of food that you might eat without even thinking about it.

I have used the myfitnesspal app and site, which gave me enough of a calorie and nutrient picture that I could see where I was coming up short (or long, as it were).   

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Hard to believe your break was almost 2 years. Time flies. 

I like your goals! I didn't articulate it for my challenge but I've given myself a deadline to call and get in to the dentist. I'm good with my optometrist and GP but I let my dental slide. 

I also had to take a Twitter break. I got obsessive about reading all the tweets and it was not a good thing. I like how you've taken your own willpower out of the equation.    :)

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Just as you said, there are so many similarities in our challenges. I love the Twitter fast (genius to let your friend change your password J).

Will tag along for the ride !

The Twitter Fast has been rough so far! Serious withdrawal symptoms going on here!

Once again we are almost the same person when it comes to goals. Welcome back (again!), and looking forward to seeing how your challenge goes. I can definitely relate to the doctor visit goal - My last challenge had a lot of that and I still have more to do.

I love having a goal twin! As I will shortly update, I've had a monster headache for the LAST THREE DAYS, and it would have been convenient to, you know, have a doctor to call to make sure I wasn't dying of a brain tumor or something!

Your tracking food will unearth some surprises.  It seems to do so for everyone.  Great tool for recognizing/controlling the little bits of food that you might eat without even thinking about it.

I have used the myfitnesspal app and site, which gave me enough of a calorie and nutrient picture that I could see where I was coming up short (or long, as it were).   

Hmm, maybe I should check out the app. I'm pretty lazy/bad with technology, but so far I'm just writing stuff down, not tracking any calorie info. Does the app work if you're cooking a lot at home and making complex or at least multi-ingredient recipes?

Hard to believe your break was almost 2 years. Time flies. 

I like your goals! I didn't articulate it for my challenge but I've given myself a deadline to call and get in to the dentist. I'm good with my optometrist and GP but I let my dental slide. 

I also had to take a Twitter break. I got obsessive about reading all the tweets and it was not a good thing. I like how you've taken your own willpower out of the equation.    :)

I think it was around two years, like from October 2013 when I hurt my back and then found out that my dad was sick all through the following awful year and then me moving to LA and starting a new job/career...yep, time sure flies!!

I would never make it on this Twitter Fast on my own will power, especially for this first week when it's just force of habit to open up that app. It's weird, though, to feel weirdly cut off all of a sudden from all these voices I really love. I guess if I need to, I can just go read @darth's posts, right?

Mary Oliver

Okay, so as alluded to above, the reason I hit a major FAIL and disappeared on day TWO of the challenge was that I have had a three-day long migraine that started on Sunday afternoon and lasted all the way through Tuesday night when I gave up on all other measures and broke into my stash of French codeine (you can buy it over the counter there, so I stocked up last time I went a couple of years ago). Two of those pills (recommended in case of "douleur extreme") and 12 hours of sleep finally took care of the monster, but in the meantime, I did myself no favors.

This was the kind of headache, hormonal in origin I'm guessing, that caused waves of nausea and strong cravings for greasy, salty foods (not to be confused with the hangover headache, which has the same effect on me). I successfully fought it off on Monday, having a boring salad for lunch and making myself a relatively satisfying dinner of pan roasted sweet potatoes with a fried egg, avocado, and a shit load of salt. But, it was worse than ever all day on Tuesday, and I had to be at work for a major project deadline, so I pretty much tried self-medicating with the terrible foods that were available as leftovers in our office pantry: half a toasted bagel with butter (had the greasy, salty, crunchy vibe), two mini scones (for no good reason), and a snickerdoodle (ditto). Then, in the evening I gave up entirely and stopped for sesame chicken wings for dinner. That actually did settle my stomach down, allowing me to really focus on the grinding pain in my right temple. Oh, and I drank a ton of diet coke too, which usually helps but didn't this time around.

So, that was Monday and Tuesday. Today, I was feeling much better post-codeine, so I ate pretty well: Chinese chicken salad for lunch (just shredded white meat chicken on romaine topped with sesame seeds and slivered almonds, but I bet the dressing had sugar in it) and turkey-zucchini meatballs for dinner with a little yogurt sauce (the meal I meant to cook on Monday but couldn't face until today). Oh, and I also had these almonds with some kind of sweet glaze on them for breakfast because they were the only thing that wasn't a pastry to buy when I stopped for coffee on my way to work. So, not a perfect day, but more of a return to form after the Sodom and Gomorrah of yesterday.

On the exercise front, I went to my regular class on Monday (upper body and core), definitely did nothing on Tuesday, and today I decided it was a better investment of my time to cook a healthy meal and make myself healthy leftovers for tomorrow at lunch than to go to the gym. I'd rather not have to make those tradeoffs, but since it was already 6:30 when I left my office and I'd been there since 8:00, I was really ready to be home already. This could make it hard for me to hit my 5x exercise target for week one, however. Sigh. Moving on.

I'm definitely extra motivated to go see my new doctor now, though I'm not optimistic that doctors can do much about chronic headaches (and mine aren't all that chronic). But, I'd like to confirm that I don't have a brain tumor, as of course I was imagining the entire time.

Mary Oliver

Sorry to hear about your headache, but glad that you're feeling better. And don't beat yourself up about the food and lack of exercise. When we are sick we sometimes need some quick boosts and rest.

Just start anew and we're here for support!

And going to the doctor might be a good idea. Just to stop worrying.

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

I get painful headaches occasionally that are so bad that I vomit.  I can sympathize.  Good to see that you are pressing forward on your goals.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Aw, thanks everyone for the sympathy and encouragement! Accountabilibuddies are so awesome! I've actually been fighting off the return of the same evil headache all day (but centered in the left temple this time, for a change of pace), but it seems to have finally subsided on its own. Stupid mysterious neurological system.

Anyway, it's been a bit of a mixed-up week. I think that I'll end Week One hitting my exercise goals. I actually lifted weights at the gym yesterday afternoon and then went for a loooong walk in the evening yesterday and another one this morning with my sister and b-I-l, so I caught up from my lost momentum in the middle of the week. But, I've definitely been struggling with tracking my eating. It's a hard habit! Maybe I'll try the MFP app this coming week to see if that works better for me. Since my very bad day on Tuesday, I've been eating pretty well the rest of the week, with the exception of Thursday evening when I went to a going away party for a old friend moving back east. It was a Pie and Wine party, as in, the only things to eat and drink were pie (savory and sweet) and wine. So, this was like a planned fail, but it was fun. I don't get to see these friends very often (LA is so spread out), so I was willing to accept the consequences of my actions.

I had a pretty weak start to my "Be Healthy" goal this week, despite some half-assed efforts. I called my new PCP to make an appointment, but the office phone system only lets you leave a message requesting an appt. This seems...inherently problematic, leading to inevitable telephone tag, but I left the message on Friday and hope I hear back on Monday. I also had trouble reaching the dentist's office--called without even getting their voicemail, and then finally got voicemail telling me they were closed. I'll try them again on Monday too. And, I was supposed to call the optometrist today and just plain forgot! Whoops.

Tomorrow I need to do the following to finish the week semi-strong:

• get up and do measurements first thing--more tracking and accountability!
  • make sure all my recent financial paperwork is filed (I think this is already done, but I'll do a quick sweep tomorrow morning)
  • eat well all day. I have a lunch with friends that I've already planned for (I'm bringing charcuterie and they will have salads and veggies), and I need to buy some eggs and make my weekly frittata (kale and sausage this week, I think). I'll put off my big weekly cook until Monday evening, but I should think about what I want to have in the fridge this week. For some reason, chili is sounding good, maybe with a nice vinegary cole slaw alongside. 
  • get one more workout of any kind in. Maybe yoga at home, but I've just been digging my long walks lately. I'm listening to the lovely audiobook "H is for Hawk" while I walk, which is a nice motivation to go much further than I would otherwise. It's a very immersive and beautifully written book, read by the author. It's partly about mourning her father's death, and I thought it might cut too close to home, but I love it so far. Highly recommend!

Okay, I think this is doable. I'm going to peruse some chili recipes and make a shopping list for the week!

• Like 1

Mary Oliver

I'm ready to put this first week of the challenge to bed! Quick reporting on goals:

1. 90% FTW...and track it!

This was a mixed bag. I did pretty bad with tracking after the first two days, so I'm going to have to recommit to that for week two. Harder than I thought it would be. I actually downloaded the MFP app but it seemed like a monumental PITA to use, since I'm not actually worrying about tracking my calories or nutritional counts, just the accountability of recording. So, I need to work on forming that habit. Aside from my terrible Tuesday and my mandatory pie eating on Thursday, I think I was pretty close to 90% the rest of the week. But, since I didn't track it, I may be overestimating my goodness.

2. Lift x2, walk x2, something else x1

This went well: one upper body/core class at the gym, 1 lifting session (only squatting 65# for now but working my way back up!), 2 long walks (no hike this weekend, unfortunately), and for my something else I went for a run tonight! I haven't been at ALL in the mood for running for weeks and weeks, so it was nice to find myself wanting to run. I did my usual training run in my neighborhood, which is about a 5k distance, but I didn't time it. I was just happy to be out there.

3. Be Healthy...

My half-hearted efforts did not yield much in results. I've left a message with my primary care physician trying to set up my initial checkup and hope they call back to schedule. If not, I'll call them again tomorrow. I also failed to reach the dentist and failed to even call the optometrist. So, that's three phone calls to make tomorrow.

4. ...and Wealthy and Wise

I did my first (and easiest) task on my financial self-audit: filing all paperwork and making sure all my bills are paid. I also turned in all my receipts for reimbursement at work. This goal is going to get harder from here, but it was a good start this week.

Finally, measurements. As I mentioned last week, I kind of suck at taking measurements in a consistent way, so I don't have a lot of faith in week to week tracking, but hopefully over the long haul these numbers will be more meaningful. Last weeks numbers in parens.

Weight: 161.2 (164.0) (yay!)

Chest: 33 3/8" (32 5/8")

Waist: 31 1/8" (31 1/2")

Bellybutton: 34 1/8" (34 1/8")

Hips: 38" (38")

Thigh: 24 1/2" (24 1/2")

Arm: 12 (12 1/8")

Goodbye, week one! Ready for week two!

• Like 2

Mary Oliver

Tracking food on MFP can be challenging.  Once you get into the habit of tracking it should be easier. 

I reached the point last year that it became second-nature to just pull out the phone at the beginning of every meal and pre-enter what I planned to eat.  It made it easier for me to avoid eating more than I should -- there was just enough trouble to have to pull it out again and update the meal entry, that unless it was worth it I just passed on the extra food. 

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with MFP. Have you thought of simplify things and writing what you eat down or taking photos instead of tracking calories? Have a great week!

Doctor+who+poem+you+re+awesome_8bf721_44

• Like 1

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

I have been a bad girl about updates this week, but I have been doing okay. Let's see, when it comes to tracking, I've been following the advice of Tundralilly and just trying to write down what I eat--MFP is way, way too complicated to account for meals with multiple components and even slightly unusual ingredients, and I have no idea how many ounces are in anything and no interest in learning. But, I know when I'm eating the wrong things. I've been eating pretty well this week, and tracking much better than last week.

Workouts are going good. I went to my now regular upper body/core class on Monday and really tried to up my effort in all the exercises, and it felt good to be the only person in the class picking up the heavier dumbbells--only 8 pounds so far, but hey, it's something! Tuesday and Wednesday were too busy in the evening to squeeze in workouts, and I was too jittery on Thursday to lift weights like I planned, but it was the perfect mood for running. Two weeks in a row when I've actually been in the mood for a run! I had to stop and walk a block in the middle with a side cramp, so I ended up with a slooow time, 41:30. Ooof. I'm trying to work that down to 30 minutes, so I've got a LONG way to go.

Tonight I got to the weight lifting I had bailed on yesterday. I thought the gym at work would be pretty empty on a Friday evening, but no, it was packed with guys lifting weights! I've honestly never seen it so busy, and I almost bailed again at the idea of having to workout in the scrum of all these dudebros. But, I'm proud to say that I stuck to my plan and it all worked out well. It was crowded and annoying, but I got it done. Did 2 sets of deadlifts at 65 and 85 pounds, which is way far off from my old PR of like 180 or something like that, but I was happy to just have more than two plates on the bar!

I'm going to count my run yesterday in place of one of walks/hikes for the week, so that I can count as my "something else" workout my volunteer hours tomorrow morning in the Santa Monica Mountain conservancy. It's a work service thing and I don't know quite what we're going to be doing, but it will likely be trail clearing or non-native species eradication or something pretty physical. Oh, and it's going to be super hot tomorrow. Yay!

Let's see, what else to report? I have succeeded in making only one of my doctor appts, for the optometrist, and never heard back at all from my PCP, who should be my first priority. Okay, that's a definite call back again and again for Monday. I did spend a looong time today trying to get a reference for a dentist who's in-network for my insurance--why does this stuff suck up so much time? But, I think after multiple dead-end recs I have a good lead on an in-network dentist--calling Monday! So, moderate fail on that side, minimal success. I have done NOTHING so far on my financial goals, but I still have the weekend to work on my cash flow analysis.

So, my weekend goals are: my something else workout tomorrow morning, one walk or hike, monthly cash flow analysis and setting savings goals, and keeping up with eating well and tracking. Doable, totally doable.

• Like 3

Mary Oliver

I will make a full week 2 report later on today--I still need to make sure that I get in one last walk!--but here are the Sunday morning measurements:

Weight: 162.0 (161.2)

Chest: 32 5/8 (33 3/8)

Waist: 30 5/8 (31 1/8)

Belly button: 34 (24 1/8)

Hips: 38 1/8 (38)

Thigh: 24 5/8 (24 1/2)

Arm: 11 3/4 (12)

I actually thought this would be more of a backslide because I ate a lot of bad things yesterday, and let myself cheat too much during the second half of the week in general. I may actually see the impact of that more in the coming days.

Mary Oliver

I'm happy to hear tracking is going better with your new method! Maybe I need to do the same. Also, way to get one doctor visit done! That's a good start.

Also happy to hear you're lifting again. Overcrowded gym o' bros be damned!

(No offense to bros, just makes it hard for us lady lifters to get in there and do our thing)

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Alright, weekly report time! I think it went pretty much okay.

1. 90% FTW...and track it!

I tracked all week long, sometimes having to go back after the fact, which I know is not ideal. But, I'll keep using this method (just typing what I eat and the approximate portion sizes into a text doc on my phone) next week and focus on doing it straightaway, so I don't have time to conveniently forget anything. I honestly don't know if this helping, but I won't try to decide that until after the end of the challenge.

2. 2 x strength, 2 x walk/hike, 1 x something else

So far, this schedule seems to work well for me. I didn't hike this weekend, but for my "something else" workout, I spent 3+ tearing down old split rail fences at Paramount Ranch (former movie studio filming ranch north of LA) as a service project for National Public Lands Day, so that gave me some quality outdoor exercise on a scorching hot weekend. It was nice at the end of the weekend to only have a long walk to check off the list. I tried to prolong it late enough to see the lunar eclipse, but I couldn't see much from my hood.

3. Be healthy...

Already reported on my very modest success on this goal. Must step it up next week.

4. ...and wealthy and wise

I met my goal for week two to figure out my current cash flow and set savings goals. I spent a long time going back and updating my mint.com account from the time I moved to LA, categorizing and tagging all my spending and income, and I think I have as good a sense of my cash flow as I can after only five months in this new job/city/apartment. I decided that I'm happy with my current savings rate (I sort of made it easy on myself by setting my 401k withholdings high when I started and deliberately keeping my rent low by west LA standards--as always, willpower is way easier for me if I move it to the start of the process and take (bad) decision-making power out of my own weak hands). I went out to open houses all afternoon today, and I'm going to have to be quite disciplined if I want to think about buying next year. Next week I'll need to enlist my brother-in-law's help figuring out if I'm withholding the right amounts for taxes and 401k and make the adjustments necessary.

Bonus goal of Twitter Fasting has been easy, because I can't access my account! I still procrastinate a ridiculous amount, but I think I'm maybe, possibly wasting a little bit less time, maybe?

Priorities for the week include: harassing my PCPs office until someone calls me back to make an appointment, improving real-time tracking, and otherwise just maintaining the routine.

• Like 2

Mary Oliver

Nice going!

I think that tracking food intake can be great for a period of time, but I wouldn't do it indefinitely.

Great that you have a goal for your saving. That will make it easier. Savings can sometimes be really easy, but sometimes feel impossible. I do the same thing as you, I set aside a portion of my salary from the start. It’s much better than just saving “what is leftâ€.

Hope you get hold of your PCP and keep up the great routine :)

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson