BitterOyster is Getting Strong in the Real Way

BitterOyster

Hey all, this is my second challenge and it's Steven Universe themed!

Sugilite: Strength Training 3xWeek
BThXddI.gif
'We don't need to be careful, we just need to be huge!'

(actually I do need to be careful with form and injuries, but swinging around massive weights and not caring what people think about me is the main idea)
1. Tuesdays and Saturdays - Body Pump (I know this isn't ideal but I'm a total beginner and it got me started)
2. Thursdays - working on form for Stronglifts 5x5 - I'd LOVE to barrel into it full speed but I still have some issues to work out. This might end up being just bodyweight squats or actually starting the workouts once a week.

Sardonyx: Mobility + Core Conditioning 1xWeek
ikwBnPE.gif
'You're so... articulated!'

20-30min blocks on any day when not strength training, 10min of which is spent on core.
2 sets:
10 crunches
10 windshield wipers (twisting lower body while lying down)
5 each side modified bicycle crunch
2x6 heel touches
5 glute bridges
10 knee raises
10 alternating superman
3x10sec modified plank

Shoulder dislocations + investigating other shoulder stuff

Stevonnie: Running 1xWeek
WpxuHjN.gif
'You are an experience. Make sure you're a good experience.'

Monday Runday - 40min self-paced with Zombies, Run! Goal: have fun and don't get injured! I have eventual goals for running but at the moment I'm focussing on strength and weight loss, so right now running is just for a bit of cardio and stress relief.

Opal: Life Goal
xJL44py.gif
'You might even like being together, and if you don't it won't be forever'
Send 3 messages on a dating site. Yes, I really am that shy, so this is a first step using my 30 seconds of courage. (It'd be cool if I could do archery to represent Opal, but that's not practical right now - although I have learned before.)

Garnet: Holiday Plans
N6WywnF.gif
'Chille Tid!'
I almost skipped this challenge since I'll be travelling for part of it, but that's all the more reason to do it and learn how to maintain these habits when I'm not at home. My plan is to substitute the beginner body weight workout for the strength training, but for part of it I'll be in dorm-style accommodation. I don't like drawing attention to myself so I'll see what I can do. At the very least I'll dive right back into it when I get home, and not let chill-time extend too far beyond the actual holiday.

Battle Log

Week 1: Strength Training 2/3, Mobility 1/1, Running 1/1
Week 2: Strength Training 2/3, Mobility 1/1, Running 0/1
Week 3: Strength Training 2/3, Mobility 1/1, Running 1/1
Week 4: Strength Training 2/3, Mobility 1/1, Running 0/1
Week 5: Strength Training 3/3, Mobility 1/1, Running  1/1
Week 6: Strength Training 3/3, Mobility 1/1, Running  0/1

• Like 1

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

Aw nuts! You beat me to the title! I like the theme and looks like your goals are solid. Following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..:: Tiny Oak .:. Level 2 Wood Elf Druid ::..

..:: STR: TBD | DEX: TBD  | STA: TBD | CON: TBD | WIS: TBD | CHA: TBD ::..

..:: Current Challenge .:. Challenge the First ::..

Goal 1: Dance and Be Merry!

0%
0%

Goal 2: Write It Down!

0%
0%

Goal 3: Hoard my Riches!

100%
100%

Goal 4: Clean It Up!

0%
0%

Zombies: Run! is an excellent app to get you running.  When you feel like you've worked up to it, find a nice nature trail to do your runs on.  It really changes the whole meaning of things for you.

And I feel your pain on the dating site madness.  I've been there, and I remember the anxiety all too well.  But best of luck to you!  There really are gems hidden amongst the rough out there.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Thanks guys!

Day 1 - didn't want to go for a run but did anyway. It was actually easier when I was doing it 3 times a week; if it's too long in between I start to forget why I like it - and trust me, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't enjoy it.

Worked out the core exercises, but I'm cutting back to once a week since Pump has some core stuff in it, and I'm feeling a bit overloaded since I'm fairly new to an active lifestyle.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Day 2 - Pump! Yes!

Gotta get the home gym stuff cleaned up and moved around for my Thursdays, but also gotta keep digging and start the first garden bed before the weeds start growing back, also busy at uni and preparing to leave for the trip. Might have to put the first one on hold until I get back; in the meantime I can still work on squats. It's gonna be a big week. Also broke af and juggling what I need to buy first, workout clothes, garden stuff, camping gear. Going to have to dip into my savings, but at least I have savings.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Oh, so are you! And quite the veteran now :) I skipped a challenge and spent the time trying out a whole lot of new stuff and changing up my routines, so I definitely haven't lost steam.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I keep an eye out for anything interesting on (Australia's) Radio National and this just popped up.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/one-year-later2c-can-you-stick-to-an-exercise-plan3f/6690808

Going to listen to it this weekend. I find it helpful to have multiple timescales for fitness goals, and one of mine is a year starting from 1st August. I actually have a time capsule I'll open then.

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Monday Runday! I LOVE IT!!!! I might join you in that goal as I can no longer make my Monday spin class.

I agree with Rurik Zombies: Run! is a great way to get started running or if you get bored and need to switch up your run routine. 

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Oh, so are you! And quite the veteran now :) I skipped a challenge and spent the time trying out a whole lot of new stuff and changing up my routines, so I definitely haven't lost steam.

Haha, veteran in having the blues even before week 1 now you mean. :D Yes! 

What have you tried? I'm giving yoga a shot again. I usually stop early on again, definitely not one to get up early and do yoga (yet ... or maybe never).

Phew! The first leg of my travel is done, I'm stopping in at home to wash clothes and gather supplies for the week-long part of the trip, so I'll make it to a Pump class while I'm here.

I didn't get any exercise done while I was away but I have some mental health issues that tend to flare up when I'm travelling so looking after that is my priority. Also missed the Thursday session in favour of digging the garden - still not done but one of my housemates says she'll do some work on it while I'm away.

Haha, veteran in having the blues even before week 1 now you mean. :D Yes! 

What have you tried? I'm giving yoga a shot again. I usually stop early on again, definitely not one to get up early and do yoga (yet ... or maybe never).

I signed up for a gym membership and tried out some of their classes. Fell in love with Body Pump (low-weight high-rep group strength training) but want to transition to lifting heavy. Tried two different aqua aerobics, the rowing machine, core conditioning class (would rather do it on my own), Body Balance which is yoga with some pilates and Tai Chi - also not going back to that one but I think some beginner Yoga would be good for me, maybe next challenge. Discovered that while a yoga mat does technically fit in my room, a clumsy person doing Yoga on it doesn't really. So either gotta use the living room or the gym for that.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Squats are the king of all exercise.  I've read more than one article espousing their virtues.  If you couldn't only do one exercise for some reason, it ought to be the squat.

Followed by the deadlift.  Because deadlifts rock!

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

^ Once I figured out the form I swore fealty to the king of exercises. Even if I can't keep up my exercise routine through some parts of my life, I never want to stop squatting. I really notice the difference in being able to walk up stairs and hills and not hesitate to bend my knees as part of other movements.

Got my core/mobility workout in yesterday and made it to Pump today. I really didn't want to go and I spent the whole pre-class/warmup time bitching in my head, but I felt so much better afterwards. Flying out again tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

So I didn't do too well with exercising while travelling - I only got one workout in, other than some dancing. I was at least keeping in mind which day of my regular schedule I was on. Having some time away to think also helped strengthen my motivation. So, not a great result but not a failure.

I've been trying to catch up on exercise sessions this week but spent my rest day doing the hike I fell in love with in my last challenge, but adding a long scramble down a rocky slope to the beach and a climb back up.

IrpD33w.gif

The whole thing left me about as exhausted as just the walking bit last time, so I must have levelled up. However I found out I miscalculated, it's only about 5km. It's disheartening to know that such a small distance wipes me out, since I want to build up to being able to do some of Australia's multi-day heritage trails.

I missed out on Scouts/Guides as a kid but I want to ranger it up so I'm planning a two-night hike with an experienced friend to learn the basics of pack-hiking and camping with only what you can carry. It'll be minimal walking to focus on the camping rather than the hiking. That's my first stepping-stone towards a grand adventure. In 2017 I might move back in with my parents temporarily so by then I'd like to be fit enough to keep up with my dad on multi-day trips and learn from him.

Starting to dream about this track for a medium-term goal, probably at a slow pace: http://www.sixfoottrack.com/

Long-term goal: Be this awesome

bhySpe8.jpg?1

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I'm going strong this week! Literally! Got to the first pump session, home gym is done (except for step-stools for benching with short legs), bought a tennis ball to massage my shoulders.

The housemates didn't get time to dig the garden since it was raining so much. I'm... actually glad? I'm looking forward to the physical work. This is new, actually wanting to exert myself. This is very good, and in fact necessary to achieve my goals.

Dig dig dig!

rlObBQa.gif

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Did my first Stronglifts workout with a broomstick to learn form, also the core and mobility one. At first I wasn't sure if it was helping but I can do a back squat just fine now! Woohoo! It worked!

However I sort of popped my knee out painfully getting up from a primal squat while working in the garden. It's an old injury that does that when mistreated but it's really weird because I use that squat all the damn time around the house, like every day, and have never had that issue. And the knee hasn't been that bad in years. Really annoying, I'm going to have to miss Pump and probably a run. And this after getting the all-clear from the GP about it! So I guess I'd better take it to a physio.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Well, I was worried about what would happen if I got injured, so at least it's a very minor one and I've got the digging to stop me getting cagey. Maybe I should make sure I've got some upper body only and lower body only exercises ready to go in case of injury. Hoping to be healed by Tuesday for Pump but I'm not taking any chances if it's sore.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

We've moved the test-run pack-hiking to this coming weekend due to weather and commitments, so that's exciting but a bit scary. Hopefully I cope well with it so I can start planning bigger ones. Planning it with my friend has basically been like What do you mean we don't need A TENT? You mean YOU don't need a tent! Tie the tarp up with sticks HOW? And you expect me to carry HOW MANY KILOS? What do you mean WE DON'T KNOW WHERE WE'RE CAMPING? Figure it out when we get there? AFTER HIKING?!?!?

It's okay, I'm Ranger material, just very very raw material...

Basically me:

Gupsrox.gif

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

We've moved the test-run pack-hiking to this coming weekend due to weather and commitments, so that's exciting but a bit scary. Hopefully I cope well with it so I can start planning bigger ones. Planning it with my friend has basically been like What do you mean we don't need A TENT? You mean YOU don't need a tent! Tie the tarp up with sticks HOW? And you expect me to carry HOW MANY KILOS? What do you mean WE DON'T KNOW WHERE WE'RE CAMPING? Figure it out when we get there? AFTER HIKING?!?!?

It's okay, I'm Ranger material, just very very raw material...

Basically me:

Gupsrox.gif

Oh, you're Ranger material, alright!  If that's the kind of response you get from your friends, you might be a Ranger!  :pirate:

I'm looking forward to the post-camping write up, especially if there are pictures involved!  I didn't get out nearly as much this summer as I should have.  Fail on me!

• Like 1

Oh, you're Ranger material, alright! If that's the kind of response you get from your friends, you might be a Ranger! :pirate:

I'm looking forward to the post-camping write up, especially if there are pictures involved! I didn't get out nearly as much this summer as I should have. Fail on me!

Oh no, those quotes are from me - my friend is very experienced in survival stuff while I've only ever camped by a car with lots of equipment and supplies. So I'm doing this to push my boundaries and learn new things, since I have someone willing to teach (and tolerate me complaining).

It's a coastal area so there should be some cool photo opportunities! And yeah it's scary how a summer can fly by before you know it.

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13