The Serenity Crew: For rebels who have failed to complete the few challenges

Hmmm, great question. For me, just knowing that people are reading my posts is great for accountability. Just a simple, “great job on week x†lets me know that people care, and therefore I think more than once if I want to do something that disrupts my goals.

And if/when I don’t reach my goals I need a mix of support and “critiqueâ€. Something like “It happens, but really try to focus on staying on track from now onâ€. Otherwise, I have sort of an “all or nothing†attitude and will either fail miserably or have great success :)

Minichallenge done :onthego:

• Like 1

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

The best way to keep me accountable?  Shame.

But if I miss more than a few days, it may be because I don't want to confess that I failed at something.   Just the knowledge that I will need to return and report helps to motivate me to make that report a good one.

Okay, this is good to know. I will make sure to nudge you if I see you haven't been posting every couple of days.

In the end, I'm comfortable letting my self down. I'm not comfortable letting other people down. So use that against me. Someday I hope I can shift my blame a bit better and be motivated by it, but not in my current state of being.

Me too, me too! We can make plans for tandem mini challenges, like special workouts, so that we are answerable to each other to get it done by a certain day.

Being asked how my week went (past the 3rd week cuz it seems like the first couple of weeks are good for ppl to post) is a good way of doing this, or even just a small cheer of support, or anything really... seeing posts like that reminds me that I'm not alone and that there are people actually following my own progress. Otherwise I tend to think that I'm just a puny number and whether I improve or not (within the context of the challenge) doesn't matter in the long-run.

So true--posting definitely falls off after the first half of the challenge, so it's easy to lose motivation to post, be accountable. I'm not sure I've subbed your challenge yet, so I'll go do that right now and make sure to check in!

I'm pretty much on the same page with all of you: I do better when I feel like I owe it to others to be strong, and when I feel like someone is going to notice that I'm shirking or absent. So, I would benefit from regular check-ins to my challenge thread to make sure that I'm still there and reporting my progress or lack thereof.

• Like 1

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Phew what a week I've definitely been spacing out when it comes to logging in and touching base with everyone. Think I've managed to follow you all and I will get around to reading and posting in the morning now my laptop is back working woo! If it's not done in the next 24 hours just nag me :D

I think over this next week I'm going to try and take some time each evening to post up about my day. I'm completing my workouts but I find easy to skip logging and then it's not long before other things are skipped too.

I look forward to catching up in all your progress :)

• Like 2

Hobbit on a mission level 2

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 3

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71372-smileitsmes-fight-to-be-an-initiate/

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning how to dance in the rain!

Okay, I have a question for everyone. A two-part question, even!

Which of your goals are you struggling with the most here in week 3?

And, what do you think we could do to help you with that goal in the second half of the challenge? Pair off in the buddy system? Or, have each of us commit to check in with/harrass you on a rolling schedule on that one goal until you're feeling good momentum? Other ideas?

I'll think of my own answers and post back later.

Mary Oliver

Okay, I have a question for everyone. A two-part question, even!

Which of your goals are you struggling with the most here in week 3?

And, what do you think we could do to help you with that goal in the second half of the challenge? Pair off in the buddy system? Or, have each of us commit to check in with/harrass you on a rolling schedule on that one goal until you're feeling good momentum? Other ideas?

I'll think of my own answers and post back later.

1. For me it's mostly my eating. I have scored perfectly on this, but I sometimes do get serious cravings, and so far I have managed, but I see risks in the future. 

2. Hmmm, maybe do a pair off? 

I am having the most trouble with my daily walking goal.  Simply because I have not made the effort to create habitual behaviors to help make it easier to do it. 

I don't know what the crew can do to help.  Knowing that folks are occasionally checking in is helpful.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

My challenge goals are going pretty well on the whole, my budget has been the hardest probably but that's mainly because i havn't had the time to sit down and do YNAB as my laptop has been busted.

While technically not part of this challenge my eating hasn't been great i've slipped into bad takeaway habits which is not good for my budget so i wouldn't mind pairing up to get extra accountability on diet if someone wanted. However, on the whole it has helped just knowing that you guys have checked in on me that keeps me going.

Hobbit on a mission level 2

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 3

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71372-smileitsmes-fight-to-be-an-initiate/

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning how to dance in the rain!

Okay, so we have two Crewmembers dealing with food issues (3 counting me!), one dealing with exercise/activity routine issues, and one dealing with budget issues (Smile counts twice!). Smile, I don't know what YNAB is, but I agree that dealing with budgeting is super hard without a computer. Is there anything you can do the old-fashioned, non-digital way?

For me, it's definitely eating. I'm getting more into the routine of tracking, but I still find myself making a few bad choices every week (but writing them all down!). I think it could help to either buddy up with someone who wants to work on a similar goal (or even a different one, why not?), or just knowing that people are going to be keeping an eagle eye on my updates on that challenge.

• Like 1

Mary Oliver

Okay, so we have two Crewmembers dealing with food issues (3 counting me!), one dealing with exercise/activity routine issues, and one dealing with budget issues (Smile counts twice!). Smile, I don't know what YNAB is, but I agree that dealing with budgeting is super hard without a computer. Is there anything you can do the old-fashioned, non-digital way?

For me, it's definitely eating. I'm getting more into the routine of tracking, but I still find myself making a few bad choices every week (but writing them all down!). I think it could help to either buddy up with someone who wants to work on a similar goal (or even a different one, why not?), or just knowing that people are going to be keeping an eagle eye on my updates on that challenge.

I think it would be good (at least for me) to pair up. You wanna go? For me, it's several habits I want where I need a "push" and I think the buddy-system with som "eye-keeping" will be great :)

• Like 1

Hey guys, hope your challenges are going well! I've been down for the count with the flu, a work trip, more flu, internet outages and a general lack of motivation the last 2 weeks. Blerg. How is everyone's week 3 and 4 going?

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Hey guys, hope your challenges are going well! I've been down for the count with the flu, a work trip, more flu, internet outages and a general lack of motivation the last 2 weeks. Blerg. How is everyone's week 3 and 4 going?

Oh, that's like the demotivation trifecta--flu, travel, cut off from digital support! I hope that the fact that you're here posting means that good things are afoot for the second half of the challenge. Are you feeling better and ready to kick some booty in week 4?

I think it would be good (at least for me) to pair up. You wanna go? For me, it's several habits I want where I need a "push" and I think the buddy-system with som "eye-keeping" will be great :)

Man, you have already inspired me with your amazing 3 week track record during this challenge. I really, really want to find a way to break my habit of grazing on all the relentless crap at work. It's not even good, it doesn't have the excuse of being sociable eating like sharing a good meal with friends. It's just something that I need to figure out, because clearly I can't change the culture of my office. TSN, you've already had 3 successful weeks--let's say that I will try to hit 3 solid weeks of eating NO baked goods or chocolate in the office carb fest, and you will finish the entire challenge, 6 solid weeks of healthy eating every day. Your achievement will be way more impressive than mine, but I think I may have a serious willpower handicap. If you're up for it, I am too!!

How is the rest of the crew doing in week four?

Mary Oliver

Man, you have already inspired me with your amazing 3 week track record during this challenge. I really, really want to find a way to break my habit of grazing on all the relentless crap at work. It's not even good, it doesn't have the excuse of being sociable eating like sharing a good meal with friends. It's just something that I need to figure out, because clearly I can't change the culture of my office. TSN, you've already had 3 successful weeks--let's say that I will try to hit 3 solid weeks of eating NO baked goods or chocolate in the office carb fest, and you will finish the entire challenge, 6 solid weeks of healthy eating every day. Your achievement will be way more impressive than mine, but I think I may have a serious willpower handicap. If you're up for it, I am too!!

Thank you for your kind words J. But I disagree with comparing our achievements. If you make it for three week, that’s freaking awesome because that’s more than YOU have done before. We have to stop comparing ourselves to others, since this seldom benefit us. Sure, I’v done three weeks now and hopefully will make 6. But there are people how have gone years, and if I compare myself to them, I kind of suck. But when I compare with my “past†self, I’m awesome. The same applies for you and everybody here in the crew.

Have sent you a message regarding our buddy system!

Good job you two supporting each other as accountability-buddies!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Mac, you are awesome for keeping the thread going! <3 Love reading the posts and hearing all of you reflect!

As long as I don't end up all alone on the spaceship like Mal in "Out of Gas"! Even though it's gotten a bit quiet around here, I will assume that the rest of the crew is struggling along to the finish line--it's so close!

• Like 1

Mary Oliver

Last week can be the best week. 

Don't give up on yourself! 

Mal has lost his faith in a lot of things, but he believes in you!

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Thanks to the crew here who stopped by often and kept me honest.  I was glad to have a few people who would notice if I stepped away from my goals.

My challenge was not 100% successful, but I made some progress towards getting back into running shape.  More importantly, I learned where some more of my weaknesses are, and I have started to work on plans to divert and minimize.

I'll be back for the next challenge, although I am not sure what group I will be with.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)