Alarion: Time of Transition

Alarion

"A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it."

~ Nikki Giovanni ~

A time of transition is what I have been experiencing for the last few months already since graduating from the university. It has not been easy: little private space, a lot of uncertainty, questions, doubts... and amidst this all I have let go of the healthy habits carefully cherished up to the time the transition began. The results are not something I am proud of: I have gained weight, wasted precious hours that could be used to sleep on nonsense, and playing way too many online games.

This, then, is an attempt to recover and make the transition into something beautiful rather than dreadful.

This is how:

Goal # 1

Time management: keep a detailed diary of what I spend my time on. Evaluate the results every week and determine a goal to work towards during the next week (4 WIS).

Goal # 2

Sleep: lights off by 23.30 5 nights a week (4 CON).

Goal # 3

Keep those sweets away: eat them once a week, Saturdays (3 CON).

Goal # 4

Physical activity: walking (5 km and more), jogging, workouts - 5 days a week (4 STA).

• Like 2

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

All right! First day of the challenge...

Goal # 1: Hmm, hmmm. Will write something tomorrow, when I can evaluate what I've done all day.

Goal # 2: Still waiting for the night. :D But last night went to bed at about 23.40.

Goal # 3: No sweets.

Goal # 4: Did a physical fitness test today. In comparison with last year's accomplishments:

1 mile run: last year in 12:36 (30 points); this year 11:37 (35 points)

Push ups: last year - 13 knee push ups (13 points); this year - 2 full push ups, 12 knee (16 points);

Crunches/sit ups: last year - 45 crunches (45 points); this year - 30 sit ups (30). I find that sit ups are easier on my neck, so I switched over; just messed up the point system.

Pull ups/chin ups: last year - 0; this year - 1 (5 points).

Sit and reach: last year - 6 inches (28 points); this year - 6 inches (28 points).

Total: last year - 116; this year - 114 (crunches/sit ups switch to blame here).

Also I find that I would pass the test for Latvian army. :D

And... Stretching.

I think I am beginning to find a new joy of living, and a purpose, and motivation. Perhaps having a job helps with that some too, though I am kind of frightened that mistakes might slip into my translations and the company would not want to send me any more work.

• Like 2

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

Current challenge

I write down what I do and for how long, say: translation 9.00 - 9.45, cleaning the house 9.45 - 10.34, etc.

Ranger

Current challenge

Goal # 1: Yesterday's summary: Work (translated only 1.8 pages...) - 2 h 47 min; meals (prep included) - 2 h; workout - 2 h 22 min; random stuff on laptop (not games) - 2 h 20 min; trying to get one of grandma's cooking pots clean - 1 h 17 min; walk to the shop - 44 min; knitting - 38 min; shower - 20 min; morning prayer/Bible reading - 22 min; book before bed - 33 min; and then some other random things that took less than half an hour. Eh... Definitely did not do much translation today...

Goal #2: Got to bed by 22.50.

Goal #3 of today: managed to escape sweets, though sorely tempted.

Goal #4: went for a 4.49 km walk and did 15 min of stretching.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Thank you, Iron Glider. :) Well, it does help to see where all that time goes and such.

Goal # 1 (yesterday):

Wake up at 7.35

Bible reading: 40 min

Friendship with shower: 15 min

Meals: 2 h 35 min

Random stuff on computer (e-mails, news, facebook, etc): 5 h 9 min

Translation (8.5 pages done): 3 h. They say 7 pages is an average daily work for a translator. Seriously? Topping that in 3 hours? Will have to do some proofreading to check for mistakes.

Knitting (yay for warm colourful socks!): 1 h 27 min

Online games: 44 min

Shopping: 40 min

Walk: 1 h 34 min

Stretching: 26 min

Scrubbing the other pot: 1 h

Not too bad, but too much of doing this and that, and nothing important on my computer.

Goal # 2: uh oh... went to bed by 0:25 :(

Goal # 3: no sweets!

Goal # 4: Just did a 5.58 km walk today, and made a valiant attempt at tackling monkey bars (only managed one, ah well). Was feeling under the weather so did not do any intense training just to see if the nasty feeling will go away. I agreed to join my friend for an 8-hour rogaining race in a week and a half, so can't afford to be ill.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Goal # 1: too lazy to write up everything, but I've still spent about 4 hours doing all sorts of random things on my computer. Ooof.

Also 7.1 pages translated, so maybe not that bad...

Goal # 2: Went to bed at 23:15.

Goal # 3: Avoided sweets today, though eyed some ice cream in the shop.

Goal # 4: Went for my daily walk today: 5.67 km, and did my chin up training: 5 sets of 1 chin up + 7 negatives. The red days are coming to an end, so feeling up to more intense training again.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Goal # 1: Let's see then...

Woke up at 7.35

Bible reading: 55 min

Friendship with shower: 13 min

Meals: 2 h 19 min

Stuff on computer: 4 h 7 min

Translation:1 h 50 min

Knitting: 41 min

Installing accounting program: 1 h 38 min

Walk: 1 h 7 min

Workout: 1 h 4 min

Cleaning: 1 h 12 min

Goal # 2: Managed to get to bed at 23:30! Just in time.

Goal # 3: no sweets, but oh... cookies on the table.

Goal # 4: run 20 min (2.08 km), walk 2 min, run 30 min (3.21 km), walk 2.05 km, also made another attempt at the monkey bars and was more successful - got halfway across it (10 or so "steps").

Workout and stretching

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Time for the overview of the first week!

Goal #1: I think I should pay special attention on what and how long I'm doing at my computer. Last week I have worked for about 3 - 4 hours on translations, though managing to type up quite a few pages, yet... could do better. About an hour every day spent playing online games, and 4 - 7 hours spent on doing all sorts of other things: news, e-mails, facebook, nerdfitness, etc.

Goal #2: I've managed to get myself to sleep before 23.30 five nights out of 7, so a goal reached.

Goal #3: Had sweets only on Saturday. Just for the record: last week's average weight - 75.6 kg. Meh.

Goal #4: I've been walking and/or exercising more actively 6 days last week.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Eeeh, trying hard at any rate, Iggy. Else the stress would overcome me.

Yesterday: no sweets; went for a run, and then did 2 sets of 10 knee push ups, and 3 sets of 8. Also translated 12.9 pages and was surprised that it was not that difficult. Just that sleep... 0:15. Meh.

Today I have been absolutely lazy and haven't done any translation. Barely avoided sweets, while on the walk that included shop. At any rate, walked 7.26 km.

Ranger

Current challenge

Ooohaaaa! What a day. Suddenly got more work than I can handle, so opted to take on about 70 pages about astrophysics (Lord, have mercy on me... tons and tons of terminology), but had to give up other 16 pages of printing website. Ah well. I still have rogaining planned on Sunday.

Goal #1: So I have recruited the help of Rescue Time to see where I spend my comp time. Yesterday: 1 h 50 min spent on facebook (games, mostly), 1 h 26 min on lotrplaza roleplay site, 1 h 4 min - miniclip games, 53 min on skype, 12 min on nerdfitness, 11 min - MS Word. Ehhh... Yesterday was yesterday.

Goal #2: 23.30 - got in bed just in time.

Goal #3: I haven't eaten any sweets neither yesterday, nor today.

Goal #4: And today had a veeeery tough workout. Hopefully will be able to get out of bed tomorrow. :D

Run 20 min (2.36 km), walk 2 min, run 20 min (2.18 km), walk 2.27 km to get back home from the beach.

Then did this HIIT workout, this upper body workout (used 1 kg dumbbells), and some stretching.

Ranger

Current challenge

Oof! Let's get back in here. :D

Overview of Week #2

Goal #1: So I did use RescueTime and it says the following: I've spent 17 h 18 min in MS Word (sure, a big project to translate), 4 h 46 min on facebook, 4 h 10 min on skype, 4 h 8 min on lotrplaza, 3 h 52 min on miniclip games, 2 h 49 min on google (looking up terminology), 1 h 12 min on nerdfitness, and the assorted dictionaries and e-mail stuff. Pretty good, but then again the pressing deadline does help.

Goal #2: I've managed to get myself to sleep before 23.30 five nights out of 7, so hit the goal.

Goal #3: Had sweets on Saturday, and probably Sunday too counts, since I lived on muesli bars while in the forest. 2 days a week.

Goal #4: Activity: 6 days a week. Rogaining on Sunday! We did really well, found all the planned checkpoints + 4 additional ones; we got to the finish line and found we had walked some 39 km, so... set out to run the remaining 3 km to get to the marathon distance. Therefore, 42.62 km walked in 8 hours and 4 minutes.

Ranger

Current challenge

Hmm. I haven't been here for a whole week! But have been keeping track of things, nonetheless!

Overview of Week #2

Goal #1: RescueTime report: MS Word - 22 h 55 min; miniclip games - 6 h 3 min; facebook - 6 h 2 min; skype - 4h 3 min; lotrplaza.com - 2 h 56 min.

Goal #2:Sleep by 23.30... 4 nights out of 7. Meh.

Goal #3: Sweets, sweets, sweets... fell for them. My brother's birthday was on Sunday, so it was 2 days a week.

Goal #4: Activity: 5 times a week. Though not as much as I could, what with all the work and such.

Ranger

Current challenge

And a whole week has passed by again. Just that it has not been that good... red days, mind you. Always can blame those.

Overview of Week #3

Goal #1: RescueTime report: MS Word - 11 h 15 min; facebook - 6 h, 9 min; skype - 5 h 18 min; youtube - 4 h 42 min; lorplaza - 3 h 16 min... the rest 1 h and less.

Goal #2:Sleep by 23.30... only 2 nights. :(

Goal #3: Totally gave in. Ate some sweets (even though a piece of chocolate a day) - 5 days a week.

Goal #4: Activity: 5 times a week. At least with this I can keep up with.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Ahhh, Ensi, the work seems to be going well. While there was almost nothing to do in September, now they send lots of work my way, so there is no time to be lazy. But all is good, since I will get money. Just wish they'd pay for September, so I can pay the bills. I'm all up and down still altogether, but doing a bit better now.

Overview of Week #4

Goal #1: RescueTime report: lotrplaza - 10 h 34 min; MS Word - 7 h 30 min, facebook - 6 h 56 min, skype - 4 h 48 min, miniclip - 4 h 3 min; youtube - 2 h 44 min, google - 1 h 23 min, Adobe Reader - 1 h 7 min.

Goal #2:Sleep by 23.30... 5 nights. Yes!

Goal #3: Sweets - 2 days. Better than last week, anyway.

Goal #4: Activity: 6 times a week. Mostly walking.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Messed up weeks somewhere, lol...

Anyway, this challenge was not the best, except in the area of physical activity. Somehow I was not motivated, so will see if going back to the battle log would help...

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge