acfourni's second first time around

acfourni

Hey all! I'm acfourni and this is my second time attempting the first challenge.  The first time round, I shifted my priorities, and ended up right back where I started. I'm going to work hard not to let that happen this time.

A bit more about me - I'm 25, female, 165lbs, vegetarian, recently engaged to a guy who is training to be a firefighter. My job is way less exciting than his. I commute 2 hours a day (an hour each way), and I sit at a desk for 6-9 hours a day. On top of my full time job, I'm also a professional organizer (which I still find hilarious, because my life is nowhere near organized), a part time student, and I do some volunteer work in the community too. We're busy people!

I assume that I'll probably end up in with the Rangers. I'm interested in strength training, but I've also always wanted to run a 5k. I think those are both totally do-able things for a Ranger.

I'm doing this for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm not happy with the way I look, 2) I'm super weak, and that has been really frustrating for me, and 3) I'm genuinely interested in health and well being 

Main Quest:  Feel stronger and less achy by the end of the challenge

Quest 1: Drink 8 glasses of water a day

Measurement: I'll track this using the "Plant Nanny" app - hopefully I'll actually keep my plants alive throughout the challenge.

Reward: Finally buy that expensive, glass water bottle I've been pining for every time I go to the health food store. It's beautiful!

Quest 2: Do yoga every day.

Measurement: Colour a square on my tracking sheet!

Reward: New yoga clothes! I need some new workout gear, but I'm not about to buy it if I'm not using it.

Quest 3: Get over the fear of the gym, and get there at least 2 times a week.

Measurement: Colour a square on my tracking sheet!

Reward: Keep the gym membership. This might be more of a negative reward - but if I don't go, there's no sense in me keeping the membership. If I want it, I have to use it.

Life Quest: Downsize my stuff.

Measurement: Donate/throw away at least one thing each day during the challenge.

Reward: A new mascara from Lush! Mascara is really the only makeup I wear, and mine has about 6 weeks left in it... which means that if I stick true to this, I can spring for the all natural, more environmentally friendly mascara that I've been wanting to switch to for a long time.

Motivation:  Part of me wants to say the impending wedding, but we still have no idea when that's going to be. I think my biggest motivation right now is that I want to be able to go to the gym with my fiancé and not be embarrassed to train next to him. Neither of us are in awesome shape, but I still find it intimidating to be around him and his friends wile they're at the gym. I want to be able to lift with the best of them.

My plan is to post once every three days as a minimum. I'm also going to be tracking my progress/journalling daily in a physical notebook, because that's how I roll. :)

Good luck everyone! The fun begins!

• Like 4

Yay another bendy yoga ranger in training! Hi!

Seriously, word on the pitfalls of training with the testosterone crew.  I love my husband, but seeing how fast he can go from couch to super fit is ridiculous.  I'm all happy plugging away at my three sets of ten TRX pushups, and meanwhile he's gone from 0 to 60 and has muscles popping out everywhere. 

Let's talk about gym fear reduction strategies.  What's your plan?  I eased my way into it by going during less crowded hours, and making the gym staff give me a tour.  Booking a free session with the gym's trainer and getting him to show me how some of the weights work was also helpful, although I had to be strong to say no to any additional sessions I would have to pay for.  Would it help for you to have a gym buddy?

So, yoga clothes is a great reward.  I recently converted from pretty much always wearing whatever scroungy stuff I bought at the thrift store to the gym/for yoga to spending actual money on proper athletic clothes, and it has been amazing.  I've always spent money to buy decent hiking clothes, but having proper technical clothing for the gym and yoga is so good. 

What kind of yoga are you planning to do?  I've been working on building my own at-home practice, together with the occasional vinyasa class.  There's an iyengar class locally that I really want to try out.  Right now, I am working on getting a solid warrior III, solidifying my crow pose and increasing the time I spend in it, and getting into dancer pose. 

My first six week challenge!

"I can't run, but I can walk much faster than this." -Paul Simon

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." -Leonard Cohen

Find me on Instagram, where I mostly post photos of outdoor adventures, baking projects, and books.

Let's talk about gym fear reduction strategies.  What's your plan?  I eased my way into it by going during less crowded hours, and making the gym staff give me a tour.  Booking a free session with the gym's trainer and getting him to show me how some of the weights work was also helpful, although I had to be strong to say no to any additional sessions I would have to pay for.  Would it help for you to have a gym buddy?

So, yoga clothes is a great reward.  I recently converted from pretty much always wearing whatever scroungy stuff I bought at the thrift store to the gym/for yoga to spending actual money on proper athletic clothes, and it has been amazing.  I've always spent money to buy decent hiking clothes, but having proper technical clothing for the gym and yoga is so good. 

What kind of yoga are you planning to do?  I've been working on building my own at-home practice, together with the occasional vinyasa class.  There's an iyengar class locally that I really want to try out.  Right now, I am working on getting a solid warrior III, solidifying my crow pose and increasing the time I spend in it, and getting into dancer pose. 

Gym fear reduction - I don't really have much of a plan to be honest. I did buy 6 personal training sessions when I started, and they were great. I loved my trainer, and I was feeling pretty confident about free weights. But once those sessions ended (and I couldn't afford more), I kind of freaked out and stopped going to the gym. I've had a couple of great people respond to posts and give me some encouragement for how to start back up - I just need to get there! I think I might just go in and do my body weight routines there in stead of in my living room. I'm pretty sure that they offer yoga on a regular basis as well, so I might sneak in on an "off" day and do yoga there. Maybe once I start meeting people it won't be so bad. We live in a small town (about 8,000 people) so there's always someone you know at the gym.

I've never spent money on any kind of clothes, to be honest. I'm starting to see the value in it though, and I think my workout gear is a good place to start. I stand in the mirror for a long time before I try to exercise in public. I'm terrified of weird folds and bulges and sweat stains and other assorted wardrobe malfunctions - so investing in some clothes that I know I'm comfortable in would be great!

I haven't quite decided on the yoga front yet. I've signed up for the 30 day yoga challenge and I've restarted it about 6 times. I'd like to make it through the whole challenge once, and then see where I am. Funds are limited for us right now, so I can't really take any additional yoga classes (unless they're included in my gym membership). We'll see! I'm sure it'll be great! 

• Like 1

Yoga Rangers, represent!  I love it!! :D  We will bend our way into greatness!

My favorite gym defense is earbuds.  Once I get my music going I feel unstoppable!  Also, going in with a plan has always helped me.  I used to carry a notebook and pen into the gym (like a giant DORK!) so I could pre-plan my workouts and log my results.  It helped a ton and was a great hand-hold into getting used to being there, and making my own routine.

I'm excited for your progress!!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Also, going in with a plan has always helped me. I used to carry a notebook and pen into the gym (like a giant DORK!) so I could pre-plan my workouts and log my results. It helped a ton and was a great hand-hold into getting used to being there, and making my own routine.

I totally second this, making a written plan beforehand and keeping it with you at the gym is really great for staying focused and actually accomplishing something. Plus for me it had the added bonus of keeping me from looking around to see what everyone else was doing and second guessing whether I should be doing that instead.

Good luck with the challenge!

• Like 1

All or something. All or something. *deep breath* All 👏 or 👏 something 👏

Re: feeling weird and awkward at the gym, I am the same. Somewhere on NF I read a quote by Traci, saying something to the effect of 'uncomfortable is where growth happens'. It's an approach I've found helpful with regards to a lot of fears. It's fine to feel awkward and uncomfortable, I can be half-panicked and still do my thing. Especially since the alternative is not trying new stuff ever again. :/

Good luck, look forward to following your challenge. :)

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Thanks so much for all the great gym advice guys!! I'll definitely be putting it to good use! I woke up super early and debated going to the gym before just lying in bed for a bit longer. I think after work gym trips are probably going to be a better option for me.

Plus it gives me some time this afternoon to write things down in my notebook and plan for the awesomeness that will be the gym later this aft. I'll have to remember to grab a class schedule when I'm there as well.

I decided not to get my usual morning coffee, and instead I've been working away on a 1.5 litre bottle of water. I'm not sure how that's going to pay off in the long run. It's 10:30 in the morning and I'm falling asleep at my desk. Yikes!

• Like 1

Great goals, great mini-rewards that are organically tied in with the goal.

I have had water drinking as a goal, and the only way I was able to complete it was to spread it out into stages.  A quarter before leaving for work, a quarter before lunch, a quarter before leaving work, and then a quarter with dinner.  That way I was not trying to gulp water right before going to bed (which as you would imagine does not help for a good night's sleep).

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Gym fear reduction - I don't really have much of a plan to be honest. I did buy 6 personal training sessions when I started, and they were great. I loved my trainer, and I was feeling pretty confident about free weights. But once those sessions ended (and I couldn't afford more), I kind of freaked out and stopped going to the gym. I've had a couple of great people respond to posts and give me some encouragement for how to start back up - I just need to get there! I think I might just go in and do my body weight routines there in stead of in my living room. I'm pretty sure that they offer yoga on a regular basis as well, so I might sneak in on an "off" day and do yoga there. Maybe once I start meeting people it won't be so bad. We live in a small town (about 8,000 people) so there's always someone you know at the gym.

I've never spent money on any kind of clothes, to be honest. I'm starting to see the value in it though, and I think my workout gear is a good place to start. I stand in the mirror for a long time before I try to exercise in public. I'm terrified of weird folds and bulges and sweat stains and other assorted wardrobe malfunctions - so investing in some clothes that I know I'm comfortable in would be great!

I haven't quite decided on the yoga front yet. I've signed up for the 30 day yoga challenge and I've restarted it about 6 times. I'd like to make it through the whole challenge once, and then see where I am. Funds are limited for us right now, so I can't really take any additional yoga classes (unless they're included in my gym membership). We'll see! I'm sure it'll be great! 

I am longing to do that 30 day yoga challenge!  I need to remain focused right now on healing my digestion, but the minute I can eat without getting sick I am committing to that. 

Also, I don't recall giving up coffee being on your list of goals.   ;)  You've already got three fantastic goals plus a life goal.  That might be enough to be getting on with without also suddenly dealing with life without coffee.  There are ways to get your water in without forsaking the coffee.  Can you tell I really miss coffee? 

Good luck at the gym tonight!  It will be great!  You will be great!

fridance-eleven-11.gif

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." -Leonard Cohen

Find me on Instagram, where I mostly post photos of outdoor adventures, baking projects, and books.

Also, I don't recall giving up coffee being on your list of goals.   ;)  

I've been debating heading down to the cafeteria and buying a small coffee to get rid of this caffeine headache. You've just convinced me. Thanks!

I always get way too much coffee and then end up not drinking any water, but I'm finding coffee is not easy to substitute with water.

• Like 1

Water ideas:

Drink a huge glass first thing when you wake up.  Just pound that bad boy.  Yes, you will pee more, but that's a small price to pay for hydration.  If your stomach is empty, it only takes a short time for water to go through, so it won't affect your ability to digest breakfast.

Find some fancy water you like to change things up.  I am a huge fan of fancy mineral water myself.

Put all the things in your water.  Various herbs, fruits, veggies, and combinations thereof can totally change how water tastes.

Buy that water bottle and make it your best friend!  Keep it full always and keep it with you.  I did this after me vs. kidney stones: round three, and have managed to keep them away ever since due to improved hydration.  I am so obsessive about always having water with me now that my husband has become too lazy to bring his own anywhere because he knows I will always have some, so now I bring my water AND a decoy water for him. Sometimes I put apple cider vinegar in mine because then he won't drink it. Oh, the things we do for hydration.

I said this already, but it's worth mentioning again.  Accept the fact that peeing all the time is now a thing you do.  When traveling, I often plan my day around making sure I have frequent restroom access.  Never turn down a bathroom break, even if you don't think you need it. 

It IS possible to be overhydrated, so you want to keep an eye on things to prevent that.

V2yh4.png

• Like 4

I love flavoring my water.  It makes it more "fun"!  Also definitely keeping a big container near you... my shortcoming is once I finish my mug of water, I will forget to refill it because I get too busy at work! :(

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

'uncomfortable is where growth happens'. 

I love that! I teach Maths to teenagers. I need to plaster that all over the walls of my classroom. It's so true!

Maybe it will get me to the gym one day too.... I'll work on it.  :unsure:

6 Week Challenge - 18 DB workouts

11%
11%

6 Week Challenge - 12 30 minute runs

8%
8%

2015 Weight Loss Goal - 14 lbs

79%
79%

Introduction

Current Challenge

Acfourni - I have a Plant Nanny question! Is it possible to manually reduce the apps expectations of your water consumption? It's currently telling me I need to drink a gazillion litres per day, which is 100% destined to end with planticide, considering I struggle to reach my quest target of 1 litre.

*screams dramatically*  WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE PLANTS! 

• Like 2

6 Week Challenge - 18 DB workouts

11%
11%

6 Week Challenge - 12 30 minute runs

8%
8%

2015 Weight Loss Goal - 14 lbs

79%
79%

Introduction

Current Challenge

Wow, so much activity on your challenge already!  Fantastic!

Re. gym insecurity is a feeling which I know well (I spent most of my last challenge working through the fear of starting to work out in a new gym--my work gym even--after a long hiatus from serious exercise). The fear, it is real. I second, third, and fourth the wise advice already given: pick a time when it's not too busy, particularly if you want to use the weights (weekend afternoons are usually good); write out your plan in advance and go in there with a notebook and pencil like a badass (I really liked the New Rules of Lifting for Women for their very manageable way of getting started); and bring your own music. You will own that squat rack in no time.

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

UPDATE!

I'm really proud of myself for being here and posting, because I was seriously considering ghosting, considering how the past 3 days have gone.

My first day was great. I didn't end up getting to the gym, but I got my water in and I did some yoga. I was feeling okay.

Day two, I was exhausted. I'm not even sure how I made it through the day without hitting the floor. I got my water in, even though it was a struggle. My plant even GREW! I was so excited! But I couldn't muster up the energy to get to the gym, or do any yoga. I felt like a total failure, and I was just about ready to give up.

Day three, something super unexpected happened. I had mentioned to Chris that if he and his workout buddy were planning to go to the gym, that I might tag along. It was super non-committal when I said it. But, I drank SO MUCH water during the day, and when I got home from work, Chris met me at the door with my gym bag and said that we had to be there in 10 minutes. Yikes! I was terrified. I got to the gym and almost waited in the car. That fear intensified when they headed over to the most terrifying looking squat rack and started to load up with the biggest weights I've ever seen in my life.

My plan? Hit the treadmill, walk for half an hour, and get out. Anywhere but there. But as I started walking, I started thinking about all of the wonderful advice you guys had given me. I remembered what I had learned about push and pull, and I knew how to use some of the machines thanks to my personal training sessions. I scoped out what other people were doing (including a guy who was doing deadlifts with kettleballs - which I didn't even think of! I've been super nervous about deadlifts, but that made all my fear go away). I did about 10 minutes on the treadmill while I worked out a plan on my phone, and then I hopped to it. I kicked so much butt! I was super proud of myself.

I ended up being finished way before the guys, and so I hopped onto a stationary bike and went at it for another 15 minutes. BY the time we were all done, I was a hot sweaty mess, and I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. I did it guys!! I went to the gym!!

I didn't get to the yoga - but for me, that's okay. I went to the freaking gym! 

My plan for today: Water, yoga, and a walk with the dog. I'm going to do this!!

Ducky - to answer your question - the only way I've found is to go into the the menu and down to the wrench. Click on "Body information" change it to Sedentary and adjust the weight until it's reasonable. Mine is set at sedentary and 165lbs, which has me drinking 2,514ml of water. Hope that helps!

• Like 7