Kaylya gets back into the swing of things

Kaylya

I took a break last challenge, I needed to shift my focus away from fitness for a bit but I'm back. Activity level definitely went down but not to 0.

Goals:

Rebuild running:

I am going to follow weeks 1-6 of a plan I've modified to be somewhere between Hal Higdon's 10 mile and Half Marathon plans. Not because I intend to run that kind of distance, but because I want to build volume and it seems reasonable, and it includes strength & cross training. And I need to say hello to the gym again for strength training.

Healthy Eats:

Stock up my freezer with one solid "make lots of leftovers" meal per week (e.g. a big batch of stew in my slow cooker).

Bring lunch 4 days per week. Lunches of "extra chicken breast / piece of fish from dinner + frozen veg" are strongly encouraged.

Treat budget:

10 points per week, where each point represents about 100 calories. Buying lunch = at least one point.

Update: Plus 2 bonus points if I'm perfect on exercise for the week.

Examples:
Starbucks (because I go to the one near my office a little too much...)

Oat Fudge Bar - 420 calories, 4 points

Marshmallow Dream Bar - 210 calories, 2 points

Tall Frappuccino - 2 points without whip, 3 points with

The idea of it being points rather than straight up calories is to allow for guestimating without worrying about being super precise.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

I've always been curious about trying to make a big batch of something and freezing it, but i'm worried about the reheat value. Do you find they usually taste the same as the first time around? Is stew better at keeping than others?

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Generally, stuff cooked with a lot of liquid - soups, stews, chili, pasta sauce* etc. freezes pretty well. It's usually texture rather than taste that's affected (e.g. stuff can get mushy when frozen and thawed).

*I've also been known to freeze pasta with the sauce. Perfectly fine so long as you're ok with the pasta being on the mushy side (think more like Chef Boyardee).

Today's report:

I ate the last of the peach cobbler I made yesterday, with a scoop of ice cream. I'm calling that 3 points.

I'm still suffering from major DOMS from the strength workout I did on Saturday (the first one in over a month) so I'm going to find myself a nice yoga video to do tonight for my strength & stretch workout :)

• Like 1

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Got in my 5k run yesterday and biked to work today for crosstraining. No points worthy foods yesterday or today.

I've got a spreadsheet set up with my slightly modified running plan (converted to metric + rearranged a couple days so that it's long run sat, strength sun, cross Monday, also slightly reduced distance for the Thursday runs). This facilitates getting to a yoga class on Sunday morning that I enjoy but haven't been to lately, plus biking to work on Mondays :)

• Like 1

I'm marking each workout green as I complete it, helps me see at a glance where I'm at :)

On the basis of today's run, I've downgraded my plan a little more. Now, in version one of my challenge post I put in weeks 2-7 of Hal Higdon's 15k plan, and then I decided that wasn't quite enough and the first part of the half plan seemed doable; I'd say I'm now solidly somewhere in between the two. I've switched Thursday to starting at 3km and going up 0.5km each week up to 5km. I also noticed the long run distance repeats twice - I've taken the first one down 0.5km.

My cousin is coming for a visit this weekend and we're going to a conference on Monday. My plan is to get my run in Saturday first thing, and do at least a few pushups and squats on Sunday for STR. I expect to do a decent amount of walking on Monday which I will allow as cross training under the circumstances.

• Like 1

Run down, so all green so far this week. I ended up at 6.5k including a bit of walking at the end. 10/1 style, which I plan to keep up for my long runs and maybe the Tuesday run, but I want to keep the Thursday one continuous.

Got all my workouts in :) Just did a quick 2 rounds of more or less the beginner body weight circuit.

Will likely be good for points given my 2 bonus points for exercise.

I made up a batch of black bean and corn salad which I'll count for this week's batch cooking, though for other weeks I do want it to be something I can freeze.

• Like 1

Had a great day at the conference yesterday, but my cousin was getting a cold and I might be coming down with it (throat is a little scratchy). Taking it easy today as I'm tired.

Also I'm at 9 points already, in particular I shouldn't have had a 2nd beer last night.

This week's been a bit of a write off, I've been not sleeping well and while I haven't been full blown sick I've been a bit sniffly, scratchy throat, etc. Definitely way over on the food points and haven't really exercised (though according to Google Fit, I have gotten in at least an hour of walking 3 days this week)

So, not so great with my goals this challenge. I got a cold, plus some generally good but taking time away from fitness stuff has happened :)

This week, I made some pork tenderloin on the weekend that I've been eating for lunch.

And I bring you, Mr T-Rex doing his exercise:

http://i.imgur.com/Adlj9qV.gifv

Had to look up which week of the challenge we're in. So weeks 2 & 3 I was some combination of sick & tired (a cold plus some days where I didn't sleep well). This week I've been feeling better, but, didn't exactly keep up the good work from week 1. Haven't been tracking the treats (though I haven't been too bad), and exercise isn't where I want it to be. I did get out for a run on Tuesday and today though, and I have a slow cooker full of chili on the go right now.

I ran on Monday, because it was far to gorgeous out not to. Probably my last outdoor run in shorts & t-shirt until April or May :)

And I went to the gym for the first time since late July today and lifted weights. Must make that a habit again.

And I signed up for a 5k race on Oct 25 that I'd been thinking of but hadn't pulled the trigger. I've also got at least one friend interested in an informal 5k in early Dec. I haven't actually done a 5k this year, 

Went for a run yesterday; and I was like "I'm finally going to get to Yoga on Sunday", and then late yesterday I got asked to sub for Ultimate at the same time. So did that instead. Was chilly, right around freezing; It even snowed a little.

Made pulled pork for cook ahead (we ate it Sat with BBQ sauce, but the stuff I froze is plain so can be used for tacos etc as well), also some quiche which will do for lunches for the next two days.

I thought I did an update last night, but I guess I didn't hit submit.

I did a 5k race this morning. Just over 33 minutes, which was a little better than I was expecting given how inconsistent I've been with running. Better than many 5ks I've done in the past, though slightly slower pace than the 10k or 5k run as part of a Triathlon from the spring.

I decided it was past time to run home from work (just over 7km) again, and that today would be a relatively nice day. Did 6/1 and it took just under an hour. I feel pretty good;sometimes when I haven't done it in a while I feel pretty exhausted the first time back, and I end up walking quite a lot in the last couple km.