Erick the Red: Running into the past

Erick the Red

the real problem is me.

Pitiful.

Lack Of Will

Our choices

Things happen

I will Win

When people find it hard to change a habit, when they keep trying and failing, often an issue of identity is involved.

The interior of behavior change and building better habits is your identity.  Each action you perform is driven by the fundamental belief that it is possible.  So if you change your identity (the type of person that you believe that you are), then it's easier to change your actions.

The reason why it's so hard to stick to new habits is that we often try to achieve a performance or appearance-based goal without changing our identity.  Most of the time we try to achieve results before proving to ourselves that we have the identity of the type of person we want to become.  It should be the other way around.

I know this stuff.  But sometimes I forget.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I go through the same crud from time to time.  It can last a few days to off and on over for a few months.  I have been complimented about loosing weight when I gained (it was fat gained not muscle too) and lost a lot and developed killer legs and arms for no one to notice.  For me I have to remind myself someone does notice...me.  I count.  But yeah I know how you feel.

Those last 2 quotes really made me think.  Thanks for posting them.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Week 4 Update

1. Run three times per week: 3/3.  Good run Saturday afternoon.

2. Cross-train three times per week: 1/3.  Made plans for Saturday and Sunday, but nothing.

3. Walk 30 minutes every day: 6/7. Lots of walking Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Week 5, Day 1

12 October 2015

1. Run three times per week: 1/3. No work for me on Monday, so I ran with my wife for a couple miles in the morning before breakfast.  She has been training for her Warrior Dash race last Saturday, and I have not yet gotten very far in my training, so I was the one wishing for the sweet kiss of death to end all suffering.

2. Cross-train three times per week: 0/3. Plan Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

3. Walk 30 minutes per day: 0/7. This was my fail for the day. I had some plans that fell through, and then instead of turning to a back-up or even making new plans, I simply forgot about it.  It is hard to keep a daily goal of you don't keep it in mind.  Maybe I should post a copy on my bathroom mirror, or somewhere else to remind me. 

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

You know I have forgotten things for challenges too.  LOL  Glad I am not the only one.

So cool you and your wife are able to get out together to run.  Sometimes kiddo will join me on a run however now that she knocked out her 5k she is more inclined to be on her bike.  

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Hmm, post-its are good, but it sounds like you may be in the market for more drastic measures.  Unfortunately we do not currently live in a near-dystopian metropolis where you can program your house to put obstacles in your path and deny you food until you have done the prescribed tasks (or maybe you do, I actually have no idea).  BUT.  You've got all the tools and the information you need, you just need, as you said, the pressure and willpower to get it done.  But will-power is finite, and often unreliable, and sometimes the spark just dies for a while.  That's ok.  This is the most important part of the battle!  You're in siege mode, not melee.  Your enemy is ennui, comfort, the very survival instinct that wants to keep you alive by consuming excess calories, resting and avoiding risk and discomfort.  

Remember that this inertia, this lack of motivation isn't a personal failing - it's one of the foundational elements of the human experience.  It's the slow fade that is more dangerous than a direct attack, it's Theoden listening to Wormtongue, Achilles wanting to just stay in his tent, the Knight of Faith charmed from his path, trying to remember why he took up arms in the first place, and would it really be so bad to lie here in this poisonous garden and close his eyes for a few minutes.  There is nothing pathetic in finding yourself forsaken by your will and passion, tangled up in vines and responsibilities and pleasures - all heroes face this.  You know you want to live a different story, and you have all the tools, you just need to rediscover your WHY.  So Slytherin up, strap on your psychological/spiritual spelunking gear, and QUEST FOR IT!

• Like 3

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Rowan, I had never thought about it that way.  You are exactly right though -- I need to quest to find the inner "why". 

I wish I had your way with words to express my appreciation.  Perhaps I should try my hand at NaNoWriMo to get better, since preparing for that seems to be in the air.

I had never thought I might bump into a Kierkegaard reference in the wild.   Good show.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Hmm, post-its are good, but it sounds like you may be in the market for more drastic measures.  Unfortunately we do not currently live in a near-dystopian metropolis where you can program your house to put obstacles in your path and deny you food until you have done the prescribed tasks (or maybe you do, I actually have no idea).  BUT.  You've got all the tools and the information you need, you just need, as you said, the pressure and willpower to get it done.  But will-power is finite, and often unreliable, and sometimes the spark just dies for a while.  That's ok.  This is the most important part of the battle!  You're in siege mode, not melee.  Your enemy is ennui, comfort, the very survival instinct that wants to keep you alive by consuming excess calories, resting and avoiding risk and discomfort.  

Remember that this inertia, this lack of motivation isn't a personal failing - it's one of the foundational elements of the human experience.  It's the slow fade that is more dangerous than a direct attack, it's Theoden listening to Wormtongue, Achilles wanting to just stay in his tent, the Knight of Faith charmed from his path, trying to remember why he took up arms in the first place, and would it really be so bad to lie here in this poisonous garden and close his eyes for a few minutes.  There is nothing pathetic in finding yourself forsaken by your will and passion, tangled up in vines and responsibilities and pleasures - all heroes face this.  You know you want to live a different story, and you have all the tools, you just need to rediscover your WHY.  So Slytherin up, strap on your psychological/spiritual spelunking gear, and QUEST FOR IT!

Wow, that is one hell of a motivational kick in the arse! I think I need to bookmark this page for future reference! All very good advice for those of us who say "if only I could just find the willpower, the motivation, the drive that I had back when." I identify with everything you've been writing about, Erick, and it sounds like a lot of us do. You're clearly still in the game, even in only halfway, but you haven't walked away. That means a lot.

• Like 1

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Morning update, Week 5, Day 3

Wednesday, 14 October

1. Run three times per week: 2/3.  Early morning run today. Up at 4:45 to turn off alarm, then back in bed for ten minutes telling myself to get up, actually getting dressed to run by 5am.  2 hilly miles.

2. Cross-train three times per week: 1/3. Bodyweight squats, bridges, pushups.

3. Walk 30 minutes each day: Missed Monday, but made the time Tuesday and walked outside in the afternoon.

Thanks for the show of support from all sides.

I found the transcript (I think) for Jakkals' video here: https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action/transcript?language=en.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Awesome!!

Totally agree about what is said above. Start with the “whyâ€.

And also. Sometimes a “why†isn’t enough. Then you can try and make a formal commitment. Tell your family/friends etc that you will do X and Y. Then ask them to keep an eye out. It’s easier to stick to a commitment when you make it public. And don’t make it to hard (like XX weeks). Start off easy.

• Like 2

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

YASSS DOING THE THINGS!  And with hills, too!

• Like 1

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Week 5, Day 5

Friday, 16 October

1. Run three times per week: Still 2/3.  Will run on Saturday.

2. Cross-train three times per week: 2/3. Had a good sparring practice Thursday night.  Fought in minimum armor, so sword-side bruises on my belly, up the left side of my ribs, and on my left glute.  Shield-side bruises on my right quad and my right shoulder.

3. Walk 30 minutes every day: 3/7.  Only missed one day so far.

Hobbies

• Like 2

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Hello hello Mr. Red!  How was the weekend?  

Week 5 Round up

1. Run three times per week: 3/3. Ran Saturday evening with my wife.  A little over two miles, a little soreness in the right Achilles that I will need to watch.  I probably did not warm up well enough.

2. Cross train three times per week: 3/3.  Saturday morning helped to teach a rock climbing and rappelling class for a dozen Boy Scouts.  They each did more climbing than I did, but it was still plenty active for me.

3. Walk 30 minutes per day: 6/7.  One bad day, but I actively remembered to work on finding opportunities to walk each day.  Some days it happened with the other activities (Friday evening and Saturday morning with the Scout event, for instance).  But I need to just keep it in mind.

Start of week six finds me a few hours from home at a hotel Monday to Wednesday evening.  So I am going to need to work to remember my goals.  I have a couple hours before a dinner meeting, so I will finish up here and then run for a half hour on the hotel's treadmill, since I missed my early-morning run.

• Like 2

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Week 5, Day 5

Friday, 16 October

1. Run three times per week: Still 2/3.  Will run on Saturday.

2. Cross-train three times per week: 2/3. Had a good sparring practice Thursday night.  Fought in minimum armor, so sword-side bruises on my belly, up the left side of my ribs, and on my left glute.  Shield-side bruises on my right quad and my right shoulder.

3. Walk 30 minutes every day: 3/7.  Only missed one day so far.

This is an epic workout repot!

Week 5 Round up

1. Run three times per week: 3/3. Ran Saturday evening with my wife.  A little over two miles, a little soreness in the right Achilles that I will need to watch.  I probably did not warm up well enough.

2. Cross train three times per week: 3/3.  Saturday morning helped to teach a rock climbing and rappelling class for a dozen Boy Scouts.  They each did more climbing than I did, but it was still plenty active for me.

3. Walk 30 minutes per day: 6/7.  One bad day, but I actively remembered to work on finding opportunities to walk each day.  Some days it happened with the other activities (Friday evening and Saturday morning with the Scout event, for instance).  But I need to just keep it in mind.

Start of week six finds me a few hours from home at a hotel Monday to Wednesday evening.  So I am going to need to work to remember my goals.  I have a couple hours before a dinner meeting, so I will finish up here and then run for a half hour on the hotel's treadmill, since I missed my early-morning run.

Super strong week 5!! This is some epic cross training you had going on this past week! Good luck with the hotel workouts, fellow conference-goer! Embrace the change of scenery.

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Thanks for the kind words.  The meetings today were productive but not fun.  I need a drink, but I am going to have to settle for a workout.

Week six, day 1

1. Run three times per week: 1/3.  Five minutes warm-up on an elliptical machine, then two miles on a treadmill.  I should have gone outside to run, but I am out in a hotel next to a busy road but still way out in the country, and I am scared of being kidnapped and subjected to secret government experiments.

2. Cross-train three times per week: 0/3.  Not yet.

3. Walk thirty minutes per day: 0/7.  Missed Monday, and Tuesday isn't going so well.  Maybe after strength training I will get on the treadmill.

Risk

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Week six, early day four

Thursday, 22 October 2015

1. Run three times per week: 2/3.  Early morning run this morning was all right.

2. Cross-train three times per week: Still 1/3.

3. Walk thirty minutes per day: So far only one of three days this week, but I expect to finish strong.

Frost giant 1

Winter is coming.
  • Like 2

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Week six, early day five

Friday, 23 October

1. Run three times per week: still 2/3.

2. Cross-train three times per week: 2/3.  Sparring practice Thursday evening.  Got to practice with two experienced fighters, and then worked for a half hour with a new guy who shows great promise.  He is a better athlete than me (not hard) and also left-handed, but since he is coming off an injury I just showed him some beginner's tips with sword and shield and did not spar in armor.

3. Walk thirty minutes per day: 2/4 days so far, but I'm on a roll now. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)