Valar Memeptis: All Men Must Advance

xenabear

I'm starting this challenge with some very basic goals that will be challenging yet attainable.

Nutrition Quest: Oh no, not aGrain! Transition to paleo plus dairy and legumes. (I'm keeping the dairy for health reasons and the legumes because I love them and can't really see any harm in continuing to enjoy them.)

Reasoning: I've been working on making the transition to a mostly paleo diet, but I haven't set a concrete expectation for myself as of yet. So far I have noticed that I am less tempted to buy grain products while shopping when I've crossed them off my list of options. Instead of fighting 20 different temptations as I shop, I can go in making one overarching decision at the start.

I also feel much less deprived than during any of my many diets through the years, so the effort to make this change will be well worth it.

At this point I have eliminated foods with added sugar, and I don't drink anything caloric aside from plain almond milk. My next step is to phase out grains, replacing them with better alternatives.

Goal:

Weeks 1 and 2: Replace grains with vegetables at one meal per day.

Weeks 3 and 4: Replace grains with vegetables at two meals per day.

Weeks 4 and 5: Eliminate remaining grains and replace with paleo approved options.

A= Meeting my goal an average of at least 5 days per week. B= Meeting my goal at least 4 days per week. C= Meeting my goal 3 days per week.

Fitness Quest:Revival of the Fitness: Work toward planned physical activity daily.

Reasoning: I enjoy exercise when I do it, but would like to make it more of a priority. Over the 6 week challenge I am hoping that I will be able to make a habit of regular physical activity.

Goal: I will walk, bike, row, do yoga, tai chi, or stretch. I will also attempt the recruit workout at least 8 times over these 6 weeks.

A= Doing one of these activities for at least 10 minutes per day, missing 1 or no days per week.

B= Doing one of these activities for at least 15 minutes per day, missing 1 or no days per week.

C= Doing these activities 3 to 5 days per week, for at least 5 minutes.

Life Quest: Xena's Warrior Cry: training my dog to come when called. 

Reasoning: I love my pup. She is incredibly intelligent, so much so that she has learned not to come when I call her because I have unintentionally taught her that this is an antecedent to me leaving the house. I would like to help her unlearn this behavior, shaping a new behavior through positive reinforcement.

Goal: Train Xena in 15 minute sessions with an average of 5 sessions per week.

A= Training Xena for 15 or more minutes each session, 5 or more times per week.

B= Training Xena for less than 15 minutes in most sessions, or for fewer than 5 times per week.

C= Training Xena for short sessions, only a few days per week.

I will update at least 3 days per week. I'm really looking forward to being a part of a group of great people helping to support each other.

• Like 1

Your dog looks adorable, it makes it tricky when they're intelligent they quickly learn how to work the system, my cat now just comes straight to the kitchen every time I start cooking and sits up like a meerkat/begs, I think I might need to change where/when I reward him now so I'm not in danger of breaking my neck anymore! Good luck with the first few days

Current Challenge = http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71171-missvague-joins-the-rebellion/?p1655569

'Don't fear failure... in great attempts it is glorious even to fail'  - Bruce Lee

Thanks missvague. I have a cat that tries to climb up my chair and over my back when I'm sitting at the table. But he fears nothing, and loves nothing more than food, any food at any time. He's a crazy little thing. 

I'm kind of excited that you wrote because I was looking forward to this challenge, thinking everyone would try to make sure that we're not leaving anybody out, and then was all like:

2013_6beb.jpeg

Why no one haz visits me? 

Anyway, first day went pretty well: Made the portabello mushroom cap pizza. Came out awesome and very filling. 

AND I built up positive associations to get my dog to start coming when called. She'll run to the car as soon as she sees me there. So each time she runs to me, I'll ask to be just slightly further away from the car, so that's a start. 

Didn't get formal exercise yesterday, but did some stuff during the day that was so labor intensive I had no steam left by the end of it :/

Daytime labor counts! :)

And I have to agree; your dog looks adorable. 

I have a lot of respect for your diet goals. I don't do a ton of grains (pasta and many breads don't agree with me), but the whole paleo diet just intimidates the heck out of me. But I'm still in the very early stages of making changes, so I'm being patient with myself and will trust that I'll get there :)

Best of luck in your challenge! I think you're going to do great :D

• Like 1

Work in progress!  :onthego:

Trinity the level 0 Satyr
Current challenge

At the end of the day, I understand that I am in control.

“If you are not making the progress that you would like to make and are capable of making, it is simply because your goals are not clearly defined.†— Paul J. Meyer

“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.†— Paul J. Meyer

Here to help!! My cat will often come feed the ponies with me, he loves either sitting on the hay bale or on my shoulder, making it a bit awkward at times. The 'pizza' sounds yummy,it's amazing how filling just veggies and meat can be, enjoy today and good luck with the workout if you get to it, the worst part is actually starting it I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Current Challenge = http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71171-missvague-joins-the-rebellion/?p1655569

'Don't fear failure... in great attempts it is glorious even to fail'  - Bruce Lee

trinity; missvague: thanks for the support! 

More successes than missteps so far. Yay!

Didn't feel like exercising on Tuesday, but I rowed for 15min on my machine. Way better than couch sitting!

Obstacle Destroyed Yesterday: 

I was in the car for 6 hours yesterday and didn't pack enough food. I stopped over at a rest area where there's fast food, the best place I could find was fresh city, but their salads didn't have much in the way of protein, so I got all of the ingredients that they put in the rice bowl, but replaced the rice with salad greens. It was actually quite good. 

My back is paying for the long drive, but I'm still going to take a bike ride. *Crosses fingers*

• Like 1

Definitely working on the stretching. Driving is twice the pain for me because not only am I in one position for an extended period, but I unintentionally tense my muscles continuously. 

I'm very lucky to have a sister who's a physical therapist and she's taught me some effective exercises that tackle back pain pretty quickly. 

I like your quotes, by the way. :-) 

Obstacle Destroyed Yesterday: 

I was in the car for 6 hours yesterday and didn't pack enough food. I stopped over at a rest area where there's fast food, the best place I could find was fresh city, but their salads didn't have much in the way of protein, so I got all of the ingredients that they put in the rice bowl, but replaced the rice with salad greens. It was actually quite good. 

This is good advice and good job on sticking to your thing. :) Hope the weekend is progressing well, too!

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Out of sight, out of mind? That's been the lesson this week. I've been visiting my grandma, who is 94 and loves her family by feeding them. At home I've been doing quite well with my goal of replacing carbs with veggies. Yesterday I sliced a pepper in half and put some tuna in it, making a sort of tuna sandwich without the bread. It was surprisingly satisfying.

Today I visited my grandma and she had something I used to be addicted to; cheddar cheese pretzel bits. She's never had them in her house before, I'm pretty sure someone brought them to her on a whim. Cherry cheesecake tarts, every sort of Italian cookie...it's a land of temptation. I did end up having some pretzel bits, but I didn't go overboard on them, and I purposely chose not to make my goal so strict that it would be unattainable. So having some pretzels wasn't a failure, just something to be watching out for, now that I'm aware of how strong the urge to indulge is. Still, getting to her house requires a 10 mile round trip bike ride, so I got in some good exercise.

Thanks for all the encouragement. :}

• Like 1

I know, I struggle with that it's all fine when you're at home and have full control of everything there, but at least you didn't do a full blowout, I'm at home at the moment and my family is less concerned about diet than I am which makes it super tempting at times especially when my sister comes in for lunch and has her lunch dessert of a big bowl of ice cream smothered in milo, which I say no too and just live vicariously through her as she eats it, then again if I was as active as she was I could probably afford to eat like that.

Hope Week 3 keeps going great guns, and how is the dog training going?