• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jenglish

Hiking/Camping Gear Nerd Thread

I loved it. I nearly got sweated out of it. I got used to el cheapo bags that say 20 and you freeze at 30. At 20 in my light polypros I had to hang an arm and leg out, but I run pretty hot.

I do so little winter hiking I decided I would get more use out of the 20 even though at one point I found a clearance 0 even cheaper.

I got a kelty 30 degree bag as my first non elcheapo. I was amazed at the difference compared to my Ozark trails 30 degree bag, which is now a loaner. lol I get out a lot in the winter. It's slower for us at work, so it's easier to take off.

• Like 1

My first night hammocking was in October in PA. I tried it without the pad, and was so cold through the night, even in my 30 degree bag. (It's a good bag too.) The second night I used my pad (Thermarest) and what a difference! Just a little bit of R factor can help a lot.

• Like 1

Have you used the Hennessy with the super shelter any? I have used in cooler weather, just not actual COLD yet. Thinking of taking it out on one of my tent sites in the park for a cold night, but I've been lazy and attached to the fireplace. :)

I haven't bought a SuperShelter yet, though I've been thinking about it.  I do so little winter camping that it hasn't seemed worth it yet.  I'm pretty happy with the plain hammock and my blanket down to about 25F.

I need a new coat.  One for actual cold. 

I ended up buying a Colombia 650 Turbodown jacket.  I had looked at some Mountain Hardware ondes I like at little better but found this one for 65 when they are typically $150.  Hard to beat.  Not nearly as puffy as the "down alternative" jackets I had tried on.  It's not listed as a packable down but even how it was shipped was pretty compact. 

So I picked up a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators on clearance for $81 since they are coming out with a new version next year.  I have looked at these boots literally years thinking about picking up a pair based on recommendations but had never actually tried on a pair because before seeing that deal... I just hadn't really planned to buy them.  SO they finally arrived and I tried them on.  Dear god are these things padded and hot.  They are indeed fairly light... but my feet were sweating worse in these than the cheap pair I have been wearing since Xmas 13.  All that padding seems like it would take forever to dry out once they got wet which was the whole reason I wanted to avoid goretex in the first place.

I was wanting something for every day to also wear on hikes but I'm thinking about sending them back.