• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shrilaraune

[Shrilaraune] Sage Mode...YOU AREN'T READY

Why hello there! I'm Shrilaraune, which in the Drow language means "Silent Death Diviner"--a rather apt name for an assassin (And incidentally a sage as well!). This will be my first challenge as a member of a guild, but thanks to a lot of support--Maaya, I'm looking at you--I'm ready! Are you? You're not. You're really not. 

So from previous weight loss successes I've had, I realize that I am best motivated when I bribe myself. With money. That's right folks, I am quite nearly morally bankrupt. But I want success more than I want morals--Frank Underwood may be my spirit animal--so I'll be bribing myself. Thanks much. Here's the plan:

Challenge 1: Harder to Kill +5 Str +3 Sta (Too generous?? I have no sense of proportion or points!):

dvwErZO.gif

A Strength Routine/circuit that looks a little something like this:

1)  Total Body Explosive  (Kettlebell swings all day, e'erday)

2)  Upper Body Vertical Pulling (Chin ups, pull ups, etc. Can't actually do these so I'll be training up with this)

3)  Lower Body Pushing (squats. No Gym, but the Kettlebell will probably help)

4)  Core/Pillar (Planks. Maybe some weighted fun.)

5)  Upper Body Horizontal Push (Can overhead presses work?)

6)  Lower Body Hip Dominant (Deadlifts--my knees love them)

7)  Cardio Filler (Jump rope? That's a lie. I'll probably run. In place.)

The goal is to do these at least 3x a week. That's an A. And for each time I do, I can spend $10 on something I want. 

Challenge 2: Eat like I mean it + 2 Con +5 Wisdom:

giphy.gif

I finally bought myself a food scale and accidentally stumbled upon My Fitness Pal's recipe import feature. Like I said, you aren't ready. I have a selection of really delicious recipes that I'm going to rotate through for the next 6 weeks. I know their caloric value, so I won't really have worry too much when I start LOGGING EVERYTHING WITH MY FITNESS PAL. I told you you weren't ready. My bribe? TBD. Any ideas?

Extra goals: 

tumblr_m0ttaz17zD1r69rm0o1_400.jpg          giphy.gif

So I'm thinking 40 oz of water before every meal. What do you think? As for stretching...mayhaps something light in the mornings? I don't want to overwhelm myself with new stuff. 

So that's it. 
tumblr_n6aw5svovg1rexx6oo1_500.gif

*mike drop* 
Bai baes.
  • Like 1

Fellow dwarf dropping by to say Hi and all the best for your challenge :)

Love the water goal and that you don't do ALL the new things at once, which is often all too tempting. Still very impressive workout plans, you will become one very strong dwarf (probably are already)

Bribes work beautifully don't they.

• Like 1

That strength routine though, drool worthy. I wish bribes worked on me. The only way to assure success is make it so stupid easy it actually takes more effort to eat poorly. Idk what that says about my morals.

• Like 1

That strength routine though, drool worthy. I wish bribes worked on me. The only way to assure success is make it so stupid easy it actually takes more effort to eat poorly. Idk what that says about my morals.

Fellow dwarf dropping by to say Hi and all the best for your challenge :)

Love the water goal and that you don't do ALL the new things at once, which is often all too tempting. Still very impressive workout plans, you will become one very strong dwarf (probably are already)

Bribes work beautifully don't they.

Thanks so much! Your support means a lot! I was afraid no one would be interested in a newbie--and it is so fun to do these things together! Re: Bribes: they do indeed!!

Haha, thanks! Obviously there will be some modifications--chin ups will be assisted by stools for now--but I'm really excited! As to your morals, you just want to make the process automatic and strife free! Maybe even emotionless? It only means you're a sociopath. Which I mean, come on, goes with the assassin territory, no?

If either of you are kettlebell proficient, would you mind checking out my form check and leaving some feedback? I really want to make the most of this challenge!

Thanks!!

I tried my strength training routine for the first time,using descending sets from 6. It went alright, but I feel like that might not be the ideal formation for this particular circuit. If only the author had been more specific! I'll try to keep finagling there. In the meantime (If I don't figure something out by my next workout), my routine may look more like 2-3 cycles of this (90 seconds of rest between cycles):

Chin-Up x5

Push Up x10

KB Swing x15

BW Squat Jumps x20

KB Swing x15

Push Up x10

Chin Up x5

• Like 1

Thanks so much! Your support means a lot! I was afraid no one would be interested in a newbie--and it is so fun to do these things together! Re: Bribes: they do indeed!!

Thanks!!

That is so not how things work in the Assassins. ;)

WE LOVE EVERYONE!!!

• Like 2

Chin-Up x5

Push Up x10

KB Swing x15

BW Squat Jumps x20

KB Swing x15

Push Up x10

Chin Up x5

This killed me. I thought it would be easy but...I'm DYING. My form definitely got sloppy in the last set, too. I guess we have a winner!

• Like 1

Px5g1Ps.gif

Week 1 is over! I just completed my last STR workout of the week. $30 to me!! Oh the things I'll do... I was thinking of making my STR days more nuanced. Like one form day (so I can practice kettlebell form or work on chin ups), one super day (three sets of the new routine) and then another more mellow day (maybe just two sets). Thoughts? I was going to try having a more mellow set today, but when I got to the end of two I wasn't as pooped out as last time. So I kept going. Turns out that was only because I'd forgotten a set or two of the kettlebell swings on the return, but still. Let's see what happens tomorrow morning for my first measurement. I did have a yoga and walking day because my body was really very sore after the second day/new set. The Yoga was fantastic. My body is really happy about it. So, a more regular thing, I think. 

As for the second goal I was largely successful! This weekend I was visiting friends and couldn't really measure for the benefit of myfitnesspal. So boo on that point. But the food and portions were largely reasonable. The swordfish on the barbie I had earlier today was particularly good! And the people I ate with were all health nuts, so there's that. I probably also made up the calories I should have been eating earlier in the week. My calorie count was quite low this week (I think one day I topped out at 500+ calories. FOR.THE.DAY.). So maybe a blessing in disguise? Question on that front: what do you do when you can't measure how much food you're eating (i.e. whenever you're not preparing the food yourself)?

But so far so good! I measured and tracked every bit of food I ate and stayed under (usually way under) my calorie allowance--save this weekend--and completed all my STR workouts. As for the water, that happened naturally. 

• Like 1

Hooray for the successful week 1!

Glad you enjoyed the yoga so much. It does feel great, doesn't it and it so beneficial in so many ways. Not sure on what to advice on the strength workouts, but it sounds like you will figure it out with practice and open mind yourself.

You're doing great, keep it up :)

• Like 1

Hooray for the successful week 1!

Glad you enjoyed the yoga so much. It does feel great, doesn't it and it so beneficial in so many ways. Not sure on what to advice on the strength workouts, but it sounds like you will figure it out with practice and open mind yourself.

You're doing great, keep it up :)

Thank you! 

its-over-9000_o_651661.jpg

I've officially leveled up to to the intermediate level of my STR workout! I'm doing 4 sets of the above--still 90 seconds in between. Once that gets comfortable-ish I'll cut the time in between sets. 

On the second challenge, I had another "uncharted weekend." I ate out and traveled again. I didn't eat really poorly at all, but it was hard to track things on myfitnesspal. ANY ideas on this would be appreciated!

For the extras, I was low on water and didn't really do any stretching--I ended up at the DMV twice this week so I was really strapped for time. I've also noticed my enthusiasm waning...I almost didn't do my workout today. How do I keep that from happening?? Isn't that the bribe's job? Do I bribe myself more?

HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPP

I already touched on this in my PM to you but...

I almost didn't do my workout today. How do I keep that from happening?? Isn't that the bribe's job? Do I bribe myself more?

HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPP

Just remember, you're in control.  You keep it from happening by doing the workout.  Period.  Don't feel like it?  Too bad!  Do it anyway!!!!!  It's not a habit yet, so you can't lay off.  This is your subconscious trying to get back to the status quo.  If you want to change, you have to... you know... change.

You're in control.  if you skip the workouts, that's not something that "happened," that's something you chose.  Similarly, if you do the workout even when you don't want to, that's something you chose - you chose to be a badass, to be awesome, to continue changing, to do what is good instead of what is easy.  That's something to celebrate.

Your life, your choices.  Make them good ones. ^_^

• Like 2

Y4DB7wX.gif

Updating a little late for week three but, she was also successful! I've leveled up again (cutting down the time in between sets to 60 seconds) and I feel so strong! Last week was a challenge because I had all sorts of deadlines--but I managed. This week, I've got my period AND I'm sick. Let's see what happens!

I've also noticed my appetite is not what she once was! My tolerance for crappy food is WAY down. Now that may be because I'm sick but I'm quite excited! I'm going to try upping my water and stretching commitment as well! Till next week!

• Like 2

So, I might be ready to level up again! Also, I worked out despite being sick FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. FIGHTING! Now if my measurements would start going down regularly I would be stoked.

• Like 2

Late to update for Week 4 again but...

tumblr_mtn5fw81Kx1ryt3yso1_500.gif

Killing it. 

I will admit that my form did struggle a bit this last week and that most of the time I was focusing on getting through the workout rather than challenging myself further (except for that last workout. I made that harder on purpose :3). But I was also sick as a dog and dealing with my lady parts so Semper Fi and Hoo rah! My measurements are also starting to go down! 

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

I didn't do as perfectly tracking what I ate--even though I know I stayed below or around where myfitnesspal suggests by way of comparison--but I'm going to do better with that this week. Stretching has still been...not happening, but I feel my body needs it...I'll keep...promising to try XD

I also realized that my assisted chin ups might not be full ones because my arms are not stretched out above my head completely. That's what I added on to my last workout of Week 4. It did seem harder so we'll see in the final two weeks. 

I'm also probably ready to move on to the advanced version of this workout (5 sets), but I think I'll wait till I'm fully well. 

You are killing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh tape measure victories!  You're on the path so awesomeness and success!

Literally could not have done it without you! Seriously!! (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

• Like 1

Hi there, found your thread after you PM'd me about kettlebells.Sorry it took me so long to find your thread. Looks like you are doing great with the challenge. Yay to enjoying healthier foods and for smashing all the circuit sets! Did you just do plan the circuit on your own or was it something you thought of? I like it. Do you think it helps you to build up to doing a higher amount of pushups and chin ups when you separate them into two groups? 

• Like 1

Hi there, found your thread after you PM'd me about kettlebells.Sorry it took me so long to find your thread. Looks like you are doing great with the challenge. Yay to enjoying healthier foods and for smashing all the circuit sets! Did you just do plan the circuit on your own or was it something you thought of? I like it. Do you think it helps you to build up to doing a higher amount of pushups and chin ups when you separate them into two groups? 

Hey! Thanks for looking me up! I actually found the routine here. I do think it helps me get more reps in! On the one hand it's a mental thing, I only have to encounter a small number of reps at a time. On the other, it's a physical thing. When I started I could only do 10 form perfect pushups at a time. So separating them like this helped me get stronger. 

Update Week 5:

tumblr_locj5n4nEy1qd6621.gif

It's almost over!! I can't believe it! As I start week 6 I'm pretty conflicted. On the one hand, I'm advanced and managed that while sick. I feel myself getting stronger and love it. On the other hand, I checked my measurements this morning and they're up. Not by much (0.7 cm is the largest gain. The rest were about half a cm) but still, it is frustrating. Especially because I've only got one more week in the challenge. I'm not sure why this happened, but it might have something to do with how I ate this weekend. I went uncharted for one (I know, I know) and as there was a lot of driving (Up to New Hampshire for a retreat) there was occasionally fast food involved (twice). I hadn't thought I'd eaten outrageously (the first time I ate fast food it was all I'd had that day), but maybe my instincts on this are wrong. The only other possibility is a discrepancy in how and where I measured. In any case, I'm obviously going to see this through and then reevaluate for my next challenge but if there are any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Maybe I need more cardio (like a friend suggested this weekend?). In fact, I'm retroactively checking on what I ate this weekend courtesy of myfitnesspal and my numbers seem high but within range (except for yesterday). Aaaahhhhhh! Can one day really do that? Given how far under I'd been eating this week??

frustrated.gif

Help.

Based on your description of your weekend, it sounds like bloat, not weight gain.  One day doesn't make or break anything, but junk food leads to bloat like whoa.

Only do cardio if you like cardio.  Dong cardio isn't how you lose weight.  Honestly, exercise isn't really how you lose weight..... it's all in the kitchen.  But with strength training you're at least working to retain your muscle and rev up your metabolism so...... yeah.  I'm pretty biased against cardio for the sake of cardio.

• Like 2

Bloat was also the first thing on my mind reading your post. I have it in rhythm with my period and used to get all upset until I realized that it's just that, once a month I am bigger and nearly 1kg heavier than the other 3 weeks... of course if I do eat chunk and don't drink enough water it can happen during the other three weeks just as easily ;)

You are doing amazing on your challenge!!! Don't expect it all to happen within those 6 weeks only. What you have built is a foundation and now it will be on to stabilizing the new habits, keep doing the exercises that make you feel like the superstrong badass you are and more plus experimenting in the kitchen until you found what tastes great AND feels great 2 hours later still :)

With me measurements took time to go down and I found it better to keep aiming for it, but get the first satisfaction rather from getting stronger, have more energy and feeling more alive in general. You know what I mean? The weight and measure part does take patience. It did not get there within 6 weeks either, so it's a bit harsh to expect it to go down within 6 weeks.

Cardio did not do much for me either, although a little HIIT training seemed to have contributed some. I used a skipping rope and did short bursts of 30 sec fast skipping, resting a minute and repeating this for 3-4 sets in total. With time I could raise the fast skipping time to 60 and then even 90 sec and wow, I can tell you that got my heart beating fast :D I did have the impression that was good for my metabolism as well, but am still convinced that weight training (and body weight is GOOD weight) does more.

Will you stick around for another challenge? Would love to keep you with us :)

Any ideas what would be a cool theme for your fire to burn even brighter from here on??

• Like 1