Tiny Oak's First Challenge: Strong in the Real Way

tiny-oak

Heya!  Tiny Oak reporting from the suburban wilds of Iowa.  

No spiffy geeky theme here, maybe next time. Being a chronic Underpants Gnome means I'd spend the whole time building a theme rather than DOING something.

My intro thread is here, if you're interested: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71159-respawning-post-spawning/

Main Quest: Get stronger and rebuild my aerobic endurance, while

proving to myself that becoming a parent and having "no time" and "no hands" does not mean the end of doing anything.  i.e., Start taking care of myself again.  When I take care of my body, my mind is healthy too. 

Goal 1: Perform Beginner Bodyweight Routine 2x week.  Do not get distracted by other bodyweight routines. I can switch after 6 weeks. 

Goal 2: Attend belly dance class 1x week.  (starting September 24)

Goal 3: Eat. Better and more.

Weeks 1-2: Eat lunch every day. Find recipes to make in advance. 

Weeks 3-4: Make advance lunch 1x week. Eat lunch every day.

Weeks 5-6: Eat one leafy green every day. Make advance lunch 1x week. Eat lunch every day.

I'll come back and edit this with levelling up info after I figure it out. 

Allons-y!

..:: Tiny Oak .:. Level 2 Wood Elf Druid ::..

..:: STR: TBD | DEX: TBD  | STA: TBD | CON: TBD | WIS: TBD | CHA: TBD ::..

..:: Current Challenge .:. Challenge the First ::..

Goal 1: Dance and Be Merry!

0%
0%

Goal 2: Write It Down!

0%
0%

Goal 3: Hoard my Riches!

100%
100%

Goal 4: Clean It Up!

0%
0%

This sounds like a great plan. Very realistic. I'm confident you'll be able to meet your goals!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow." (Helen Keller)

------------------------------------------------

Weight Loss 163-138

0%
0%

Six Week Challenge 9/14-10/25

.12%
.12%

30 Day Habit Challenge- Make bed every day

100%
100%

30 Day Habit Challeneg- Keep room clean every day!

0%
0%

This sounds like a great plan. Very realistic. I'm confident you'll be able to meet your goals!

Thanks for stopping by! :D

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Week One - Days 1-3

Goal 1: Perform Beginner Bodyweight Routine 2x week.  

I'll be doing this on Wednesdays and Saturdays. 

So far, so good! Completed one circuit. Training log here:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71513-time-to-grind-tiny-oaks-log/

Goal 3: Eat. Better and more.

Weeks 1-2: Eat lunch every day. Find recipes to make in advance. 

I did eat lunch, yes, all three days. Quality wasn't great but it was still lunch and not, say, a Twinkie. 

I found a meatloaf recipe that looks promising, from here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42885-whole30paleo-recipe-collection/

I found a book called Parents Need to Eat Too. Full of wholesome one-handed and make ahead meals. I think I'll buy a copy. 

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Hi there!

IMO parenting is strong in the realest way :) But getting strong in the muscle way at the same time is super badass. I hope this challenge brings you many powerups!

Thanks a bunch! I'm feeling quite hopeful.

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Aw dang it, how'd i post my thread on the previous challenge forum?!

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Sending you happy thoughts for today...can't wait to hear about how belly dancing goes. When in doubt, shake it!

Jen of Arc

Amazon Wisewoman -- Recruit

Current Challenge: Whatsoever Jen of Arc Slayeth

Origin Story: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/user/43780-jen-of-arc/

Starting weight: 202 -- Goal: 155 

0%
0%

One life is all we have, and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying.

~Joan of Arc (1412-1431)

Day 5: Today has been rough. Lil Acorn has been really fussy and got herself all worked up. She spent 3 solid hours crying this morning.

I nearly skipped lunch because of it, but I managed to slap something together.

I am ready for tomorrow, when I get to hand her off to Big Oak and her grandparents almost all day!

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Day 6: I had intended to do my second bodyweight workout of the week today, but I ended up sleeping away all my free time today. I'll definitely have to do them tomorrow to reach my goal.

Lunch was easy to get, since it's the weekend.

I'm not too bent out of shape about sleeping longer than I expected. Sleep is valuable right now.

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

MINI CHALLENGE ONE

My main quest isn't measurable.  It would be SMARTer to say, "perform 1 real push-up" or "perform 1 real pull-up."  I have no idea what a realistic timeframe would be for either.  The last part, "Start taking care of myself again," is pass/fail and dependent on the outcome of the overall quest.  Overall, the main quest is achievable. 

I'm conflicted about what to make my main quest. I'm interested in both high endurance and high strength, which require different kinds of training...and would take time away from one another. 

My mini goals are SMART. I was tempted to make them more strenuous, but my schedule is currently challenging enough. I have borrowed time when I have childcare to wedge in time to do the exercises. 

Any holidays will be a perfect opportunity for some workout time.  Any days I can't work out can be avoided with some planning. 

If I become sick, I'll modify the workouts to accommodate or extend the challenge the appropriate number of days. 

My mini goals will contribute to my main goal. Lest you think otherwise, belly dance works muscles over the whole body.  And good fuel will allow my body to complete the physical stuff. 

• Like 2

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

The goals look good. Don't worry about being able to count your main goal for now. You can, of course, make a long term goal like being able to do ten pull-ups and 50 push-ups, but that may be so far into the future that it isn't worth thinking about at the moment. I have some such goals, but I have made part-way goals, so I can see the road ahead and not give up since it may be years until I achieve the big goals.

My main quest (for this challenge) is to get a stronger shoulder, and heal from an injury. Not really measurable. My challenge quests are like yours, pass/fail by days work done. I will change my main quest from challenge to challenge, but then I will be a bit more specific about my main overall goal if I make a battle log for everything, not just challenges.

• Like 1

Level 4 Human Assassin/Monk
Str 11 | Dex 10 | Sta 2 | Con 6 | Wis 8 | Cha 4
Intro - Challenges: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Stoppin' in and checkin' in! How are things going? How is your challenge coming along? 

Wood Elf Assassin / Current Challenge Thread: Two / Completed Challenges: One

Lvl 2: STR: 1 DEX: 5 STA: 6 CON: 4 WIS: 6 CHA: 3

Instagram

CHALLENGE GOAL 1: "Be-Four Dawn"

16.6%
16.6%

CHALLENGE GOAL 2: "Pull It Together"

16.6%
16.6%

CHALLENGE GOAL 3: "This End Up"

16.6%
16.6%

LIFE CHALLENGE GOAL: "Write On Track"

0%
0%

@hgtedo Oh wow, I did forget to post.  Things are OK, but not great.

Boben Fett (=Big Oak) and I have been in a bit of a funk this week for some reason.  I came down with a bit of a cold, for one.  Also, finances are unexpectedly tight this month, and it looks like I won't be able to restart my belly dance classes because of it.  So I'm going to have to adjust my goals a bit.  That does seem like cheating though.  :suspicion:

Lil Acorn has been crabby a great deal the past week as well.  I've stopped drinking caffeine entirely in case it was making her fuss. Of course, now, I feel a bit crabby.  (I had started drinking one 12-oz cuppa black tea per day, about a week ago.)

Goal One: Beginner Bodyweight Routine

Completed last week's bodyweight sessions.  Here's the log for the second one: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71513-time-to-grind-tiny-oaks-log/#entry1645892

Our sitter was out of town Wednesday and Thursday, so I haven't performed any BW sessions this week.  I will see if Boben Fett can assist me with this tonight.  It's tonight, or not get my 2 times in!

Goal Two: Belly Dance Baby Dance

I'm revising this one (see above).  Rather than attend class, I plan on dancing around with Lil Acorn for a minimum of 30 minutes per day, at least 3 times a week.  I've already put in 1.5 hours today, and at least 1 hour yesterday.  I plan on using as many belly dance moves as possible.  Lil Acorn seems to enjoy bossa nova. 

Goal Three: Eat lunch every day. Find recipes to make in advance.

Win!  I've eaten lunch everyday, and I've found a few one-handed, freezable recipes.  I'll be dining on Elvis sandwiches (peanut butter, bananas, bacon, bread), salmon salad sandwiches, and meatloaf.

• Like 1

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Ooo, I love the baby dancing idea and the Elvis sandwiches! Hope your third week goes well. I'll be keeping an eye on you :panda:

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Day 13:
Weird Saturday. Usually I get some time off from baby on Saturdays, but since it was a midday home game, my afternoon was the same as every other day. Also, in the past week, Lil Acorn has developed a preference for me over Boben Fett...

I'm going to endeavor to post more frequently, as this is keeping my spirits up.

One: Beginner Bodyweight Routine
I did this today, because dammit, I had time to do it.  I'm going to explore other options, such as breaking up the workout.  I know it's supposed to be a circuit, but I'd rather do SOMETHING rather than nothing.

Goal Two: Baby Dance
More dancing and dance walking today.  1 hour total, Classic Bossa Nova station.

Goal Three: Eat lunch every day. Find recipes to make in advance.
Lunch eaten! Salmon salad sandwich.

This is the third time I've tried to post this, but my computer keeps locking up.

I typed a bunch more, and even had a picture.  Nope!  This'll have to do.

• Like 1

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Thanks, @Spear Warrior, @BitterOyster, @ellis_e, and @hgtedo!  You're helping me keep on keepin' on!

• Like 1

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Thanks, @Spear Warrior, @BitterOyster, @ellis_e, and @hgtedo!  You're helping me keep on keepin' on!

You are very welcome! Thank you for always being here for us. We got your back! 

Instagram

16.6%
16.6%

16.6%
16.6%

16.6%
16.6%

0%
0%

I'm going to endeavor to post more frequently, as this is keeping my spirits up.

[...]

I'd rather do SOMETHING rather than nothing.

[...]

Lunch eaten! Salmon salad sandwich.

We also love hearing from you! Keep on keepin' on! I agree fully with you. Doing something, rather than nothing, is always helpful. Salmon Salad Sandwich sounds wonderful! Do you have a recipe? I am imagine fresh dill or capers would be lovely in it. 

Instagram

16.6%
16.6%

16.6%
16.6%

16.6%
16.6%

0%
0%

Salmon Salad Sandwich sounds wonderful! Do you have a recipe? I am imagine fresh dill or capers would be lovely in it.

There's not much of a recipe, it's pretty traditional. :D Canned salmon and mayonnaise, to start. Just enough mayo to hold things together. I usually do what my mom did and put in some sweet relish. In the past, though, I've added minced celery, or a dash of sriracha to make it sort of like spicy tuna roll. (I've used this as maki filling when I've had a craving for rice and nori.) Capers ARE lovely in it, too! Top with sandwich veggies of your own choosing. Oh yeah, and there's bread in there too.

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%

Day 14:

Spent much of today chilling out with Lil Acorn, like weekdays. Researching stuff on touring bikes and century events while she slept. Read a book about vintage cocktails and The Practicing Mind while feeding. 

Goal One: Beginner Bodyweight Routine

I cannot tell a lie, I totally forgot about exercising today. I will remember next time!

Goal Two: Baby Dance

Not too much dance today, but we did pace a fair bit to fall asleep. 

Goal Three: Goal Three: Eat lunch every day. Find recipes to make in advance.

Lunch eaten! Boben Fett made me my meatloaf, since I was busy working on lesson plans for the week and breastfeeding. I also have supplies for the Elvis sandwiches. SANDWICHES ASSEMBLE!

• Like 1

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%

0%
0%