Gravitas is back on the road

Gravitas

I'm struggling at the moment.  My momentum petered out towards the end of my last challenge.

I need to get my focus back.

Long term aims :- Run a Marathon, spring 2016.  new aim - we're taking our girls to Disneyland Florida next April (they'll be six years old then).  I want a flat stomach by then, not had one for about 28 years.  Chances are we'll be looking at photos and videos of this trip for a few years to come, so I'm using the 7 month run-up to this trip to kick-start some good habits for a lifelong change.

challenge 1:- Run at least three times per week (3 Sta, 2 Con)

challenge 2:- Angry Birds workout every other day (3 Str, 2 Sta)

challenge 3:- Better sleep routine. Specifically powering of electronic gadgets (TV, phone, tablet, laptop etc) by 10:30 pm every night (3 Con, 2 Wis)

• Like 3

Level 4|TIE Fighter Pilot Scout

|STR 9|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 6|WIS 3|CHA 1|

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

1st challenge   2nd challenge  3rd challenge   4th challenge  5th Challenge  6th Challenge Current Challenge

I hear ya about petering out at the end of the last challenge... These sound like great goals. I'm interested to hear how the powering down gadgets impacts your sleep. I've heard it's a great thing, but have yet to pull myself away.

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

I've done my fair share of petering out.  That's why I took a break over the summer.  Hoping to keep focused for the whole challenge by paying as much attention to what other people are doing and how they are doing as to my own efforts, such as they may be.  Flat stomach at Disneyland to show off in photos for years to come sounds like a worthy goal.  I went to Disneyland when I was six and my dad looks really good in those pictures.  He's 84 now and he still looks pretty good.  So I'm rooting for you!

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

thanks man, not going great so far.  Actually the only bit that is going well is the sleep work!

I'm managing to turn off all my device between 10-10:30 pm 6 nights out of 7 and I definitely feel like I'm sleeping better.  The one night I was up late and switched on (levelling my Bounty Hunter Mercenary in Star Wars: The Old Republic) i spent most of the night dreaming I was running around blowing shit up and woke up exhausted in the morning!

I've been logging what little I've been doing the last two weeks so will make an update post over the weekend.

I'm back on it from today - went for a 2 mile run at lunchtime!

Entered a half marathon December 13 :)

Gravitas

• Like 2

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

1st challenge   2nd challenge  3rd challenge   4th challenge  5th Challenge  6th Challenge Current Challenge

Hey Gravitas, good luck with the maraton training.   Have you done one before?  

So you are both running a race and going to Disneyland in spring?  You aren't doing one of those new fangled disney races, are you?  

0515ZW_211-300x200.jpg

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Hey Gravitas, I really appreciate getting to see you succeeding at your sleep goal. I have a sleep goal as well to get out of bed by 6 am each morning and I am totally failing it atm because I can't seem to go to sleep earlier without my mind racing through the netflix/manga/movies etc... Reading this has motivated me to try cutting off my electronics... (I was up til 2:30am last night flipping through netflix just randomly...ugh...talk about a serious late night addiction.)

Anyway keep at it! I'm rooting for you!

"You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be."

Race: Hybrid Elemental Dragon Spirit || Class: Recruit following the Monks around

Attributes:  0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 WIS | 0 CHA | 0 CON

Track my first challenge here

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Suck it up and SHINE: Perfect my Morning Ritual daily

7%
7%

Become a Strong Lady Ninja 5-6 days/week

40%
40%

Become a Flexible and Agile Lady Ninja 2-3 days/week

36%
36%

Eat Real Food, 90-110g protein/day

41%
41%

Hey Gravitas, good luck with the maraton training.   Have you done one before?  

So you are both running a race and going to Disneyland in spring?  You aren't doing one of those new fangled disney races, are you?  

0515ZW_211-300x200.jpg

didn't realise there was such a thing...I need to check with the Boss as I *think* we're flying home the day of the Half Marathon, though it is at 5am so I may be able to squeeze it in to help me sleep on the plane!

• Like 1

Hey Gravitas, I really appreciate getting to see you succeeding at your sleep goal. I have a sleep goal as well to get out of bed by 6 am each morning and I am totally failing it atm because I can't seem to go to sleep earlier without my mind racing through the netflix/manga/movies etc... Reading this has motivated me to try cutting off my electronics... (I was up til 2:30am last night flipping through netflix just randomly...ugh...talk about a serious late night addiction.)

Anyway keep at it! I'm rooting for you!

Thanks man,

the rest of the challenge has not gone so well, but the switching off gadgets 30-60 mins before bed has really worked :)

Hey G. I know it can get tough, but I know you're gonna make it. You can do this, and the Half. Let us know how you are.

Thanks mate,

gone off track a fair bit this challenge, managed to keep up the sleep thing, but the workouts and the running have got sidelined somewhat.

however, will see if I can finish strong during these last two weeks ;)

Out with the running club after work 

• Like 1

running club meets three nights per week, though I usually only make Monday nights.  Monday nights are hill intervals, so if I'm only going to do one night with them, Monday's is definitely the one to do.  I done in after Monday night (first hill session for 10 months), but no injury pain so all good.

Also did my Angry birds workout last night.

running tomorrow after work ;)

• Like 1

Well, not been the best 6 week challenge for me.

The Angry Birds workout was OK for the first couple of weeks then petered out, honestly I'd be going to bed before I was remembering to do it and by that point I was "meh".  Running was surprisingly hit & miss...too much stuff going on at work & home, but at least I ve managed to make it back to the running club on Monday nights for hill sessions...if you can only do one running session per week, you can;t go wrong with hill sprints.

The sleep thing has been a success, though I'd be lying if I said I did it every night, but I've certainly been managing 5 out of 7 nights and feeling better for it.

Learning points:- I need to work to get back into good habits, I tend to be overly optimistic about what's achievable.

points allocation;

run three times per week  - not met but I have been making it to running club 1 night per week so Level C  1Sta, 0Con

Angry Birds workout every other day - not met, managed two weeks plus some randoms, so again level C 1Str, 0Sta

Powering down gadgets earlier, + bed earlier - success, level B, 2Con, 2Wis

working on next challenge taking all of the above into account.

• Like 1