Vasectomization

Hey Rebels,

My wife is pregnant with our second (go us!), and the plan is to call it a day after two.  This will involve me getting a vasectomy since, well, it's only fair.  I've done a bit of research, but haven't spoken with any men who've had it done.

My question is simply what do I need to know about the procedure, including how the recovery might impact my work schedule and ability to exercise.  Cautionary tales welcome.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Done on a Friday, back to work Monday. Back to working out the next Monday (took it easy for a little while, but I was mostly just milking it for the sympathy). 

You will want a bag of frozen peas.

WARNING!

If your wife asks to observe the procedure, do not allow it! My wife is a nurse, and my urologist asked if she wanted to watch. Of course, she said yes and then the entire surgery became a vasectomy lesson filled with giggling and uncomfortable discussions. He even gave her a souvenir piece of vas. Not even kidding. I mean, what the crap?

• Like 7

WARNING!

If your wife asks to observe the procedure, do not allow it! My wife is a nurse, and my urologist asked if she wanted to watch. Of course, she said yes and then the entire surgery became a vasectomy lesson filled with giggling and uncomfortable discussions. He even gave her a souvenir piece of vas. Not even kidding. I mean, what the crap?

agree fully with this!  and be prepared to leave any dignity at the door... 

WARNING!

Well, I was present for the birth of Kid #1, so I guess it's fair game, but I doubt she'll be very interested.

PR's

Done on a Friday, back to work Monday. Back to working out the next Monday (took it easy for a little while, but I was mostly just milking it for the sympathy). 

You will want a bag of frozen peas.

I can agree with the above

28%
28%

Main Quest: from 256 lbs. to 200 lbs.

Current weight 256 lbs. on 9/9

Current weight 242 on 12/30

Beskar'ad the level 1 Assassin

WARNING!

Really? That's awesome. I had an emergency c/s for my first, but a VBAC for the second and my husband was up the business end, taking lots of photos for me (I had a major haemmorhage, too, and yelled out "take photos!" of all the blood on the bed/floor/everywhere). We're in the same boat (my husband's suggestion), so good to know I can get my own viewing.

To answer your question, I don't have personal experience but from what I know it is a fairly simply procedure with only a small incision. I suppose that's not too helpful for you!

• Like 1

Daule's First Challenge  :: Daule Doesn't Do Defeat [iI] - current

Race: Deep Dwarf | Class: Assassin | Level: 2

STR +4 | STA +2.5 | DEX +1.5 | CON +3.5 | WIS +1 | CHA +1

My vasectomy story got a few giggles on here. Im right there with Drazen on the leaving dignity at the door.

I had mine in 2008. It was on a Thursday, I'd booked the Friday off work, just to be on the safe side. Went back to work on the Monday. Biggest impact for me was just tenderness when sitting down, particularly when I got into the car. Lasted about a week or so.

You'll be fine, if feeling a little sorry for yourself. ;)

• Like 2

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

My experiance was similar to roundoff's - I took a 4 day weekend from my office job, and that's all I needed. Also, +1 on having a couple of frozen bags of peas :D

I wasn't working out at the time, so I can't speak to that.

Note: Slightly "grown up" advice in the spolier below...

My wife asked the doctor about the overall volumn of 'stuff' I produce - would I still produce any? Answer: I do, but the volumn is noticeably less. Maybe a third to a half? Other than that and one small scar down there, nothing's different.

My vasectomy story got a few giggles on here. Im right there with Drazen on the leaving dignity at the door.

I had mine in 2008. It was on a Thursday, I'd booked the Friday off work, just to be on the safe side. Went back to work on the Monday. Biggest impact for me was just tenderness when sitting down, particularly when I got into the car. Lasted about a week or so.

You'll be fine, if feeling a little sorry for yourself. ;)

I commute by bicycle to work.  Should I consider that off-limits until the recovery is complete?

PR's

I commute by bicycle to work.  Should I consider that off-limits until the recovery is complete?

Everyone heals differently, I'm sure, but you'll probably find it VERY uncomfortable for a few days, at the very least. I wouldn't recommend it.

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Something I have been warned of as well (thinking early 2016 for my procedure) is to have tight fitting boxer/briefs for your ride home and the weekend.  I was told that I will be completely useless for 24 hours and the normal recovery time is the "done on Friday, working on Monday" timeline.  Good luck.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I took a 4 day weekend and sent the kids to grandma's.  At the time I was on my feet my entire shift but I probably could have gone back that Monday.  I went in at 8am, was home by 9:30am and my wife went to work.  I spent the day watching TV with a case of beer and some ice packs.  I bought a few extra pairs of compression shorts like Under Armor, I went cheap and bought Champion brand, more comfortable than a jock and I wore two pairs and kept the ice back in between the two layers.

My advice is to take the pain killers even if you think you are fine.  You're fine because you're ahead of the pain, if you skip a dose or take them late the pain may creep in.  That is advice from a nurse who worked in the recovery room for 30+ years, also happens to be my mother.

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 5 CON: 4  WIS: 7 CHA: 5

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Reduce Body weight from 230lbs to 180lbs (lose 50 lbs) Currently 214lbs

32%
32%

I had mine done about a month ago. Like everyone else said. Some fatigue and tenderness sitting down for a few days. I was back "in action" 6 days later haha! I took no painkillers at all! But I would fill your script for the stronger ones just to have them on hand. Also follow the post-op instructions as closely as you can. It will make your recovery much more pleasant.

Everything feels the same for me. If anything, drive has gone up! Contrary to a post above, my volume has not decreased at all. Allegedly the "swimmers" only take up 3% of it anyway. I think this all depends on the patient and their anatomy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter: @CaptTubular  #BIRDGANG  #AlwaysBelieve

I was gaming before you were born

On 5/7/2016 at 3:11 AM, skinNbones said:

Our doctor has tried his hardest to talk us out of this option. 1/20 men have chronic pain that ruins their lives and 1/5 have 'some' pain, any truth in that ?

"The most robust study of post vasectomy pain, according to The American Urology association Vasectomy guidelines 2012 (amended 2015)[1] found a rate of 0.9% at 7 months after vasectomy." - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17850378

And that's just normal vasectomies.  My laser vasectomy (pew pew! lasers!) has a rate somewhere below 0.4%.   I didn't even have pain after three days. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Might as well post a follow-up to this.  I guess it's potentially TMI or NSFW, but that's what you get for clicking on a post about vasectomies:

I had it done about a week and a half ago.  No biggie, it was uncomfortable, but no worse than a trip to the Dentist.  15 minute procedure, if that.

I took is super easy the day of the procedure and the weekend after (I got snipped on a Friday).  There was some tenderness around the incision and it generally felt like my nuts were being squeezed for a week, but apart from when I wake up, everything feels pretty close to normal.  I went for a decently fast 20-minute run and found the itchiness of the hair growing back in after I was shaved for the surgery worse than anything else.

• Like 1

PR's

I had mine done back in January and I think I had a little more time (two weeks) of the general nut squeezing feeling, but got over it quick.  Had a trade show the Tuesday after in a different state, so that was a fun trip...  

I have the follow up to see if the procedure was a success on Monday.  Here's hoping.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

On 4/6/2017 at 11:34 AM, Jittersthe.Clown said:

I had mine done back in January and I think I had a little more time (two weeks) of the general nut squeezing feeling, but got over it quick.  Had a trade show the Tuesday after in a different state, so that was a fun trip...  

I have the follow up to see if the procedure was a success on Monday.  Here's hoping.

According to my urologist, a lot of guys don't do the follow-up tests and wind up with bonus kids.

Also, I'm pretty well back to normal two weeks after, but haven't had a chance to test things with Mrs. Other Scott yet.

PR's