Ithil's recovery continues!

Ithil

After a short break I am here again (I totally missed when the last two challenges started, ugh!) I am now level 3 without having updated my charts below but I'll do that tomorrow. The new twists in life are me being now home 100 % time writing my thesis so I have more time to put in exercising and healing from the burn out than before. It's good as my current challenge is designed to help with that. My right shoulder which I injured 1,5 years ago has been worse so I need to take this into the account as well as the tiredness from the burn out.

Quest 1: Running/biking

Running or exercise biking from anywhere between 30-60 minutes including warm-up and cool-down. This I'd like to do minimum 2 times a week if my knee can take it, in next challenge I hope I can up it to three.

100 %: 12 biking/running times

Quest 2: Flexibility

I got Nerd Fitness Yoga and will start this week the flexibility challenge by doing the start measurements and then measuring them again every month or so. Since there's 5 measuring days during the first week and I'd afterwards like to do Nerd Fitness Yoga or Flexibility challenge things twice per week it means that together there's 15 days with yoga/stretching.

100 %: 15 stretching/yoga sessions

Quest 3: Shoulder physiotherapy

As I still struggle with both lifting heavy things (anything more than a cup of coffee) and with my posture as I hunched oddly for so long due to the pain (and now the hunched position which is my current "basic" position hurts but I don't know which should be the normal one..) I still need physiotherapy even though I've been doing it for a long time. I have to lift weights to increase the muscle mass in that arm two times per week unless there's pain and then there's posture exercises I need to do two times per day so this means 84 times posture exercises and 12 times strength exercises.

100 %: 96 physiotherapy sessions

Side Quest:

My goal is to use the sick leave I have (to the end of the year and probably to March after it) to resting and figuring out a way to live with myself, my physical issues, anxiety, PTSD and burn out in a way that doesn't drive me crazy so I've decided to put aside an hour to pick up an actual book (no audio books!) and relax with it. Books have always been a way in addition to soccer which I had to quit after tearing all my ankle ligaments to make me feel better and give new perspective, so starting to read those dozens of yet unread books on our shelves would do good for me.

100 %: Have 1 h reading session on 42 days

I'll come back and edit in this the attributes, percentages and stat points, for today this is enough talking.:D

LV 2 Elf Scout

STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 7 | CON: 8 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Challenges: 1, 2

Running/biking 30-60 min: 0/12

0%
0%

Yoga or flexibility practice: 0/15

0%
0%

Physiotherapy sessions: 6/96

6%
6%

1 h reading: 3/42

7%
7%

I am home a lot too, writing my Dissertation. I think your goal choices here are smart. Good luck on your challenge!! 

What type of dissertation are you doing? Good luck for your challenge as well!

LV 2 Elf Scout

0%
0%

0%
0%

6%
6%

7%
7%

Hey Ithil,

How are things going so far?

Thank you really much for asking, I've meant to answer to your message forever! My challenge went south soon after the start when I felt that I had major collection of fluid both in my left elbow, wrist and right shoulder. This meant I was able to do pretty much none of the things in my challenge except the side quest. I got my rheumatologist appointment so that it was a week or so ago and I got four cortisone + lidocaine injections into those joints plus a med change that should help in the long run. The bad thing is that I am still recovering as my joints feel nasty ("hey, the silly doctor stuck a needle in me, I am not happy!!) so I am not able to continue my challenge. That's why I most likely can't do really anything from this challenge that I am really bummed about which is why my goal is to do the same things I wanted to do this time in the next challenge.

I have though eagerly been following your own challenge, you are doing great!

LV 2 Elf Scout

0%
0%

0%
0%

6%
6%

7%
7%

Ah, injections. We speak the same language! I just got my second set of injections in my neck for my symptomatic osteoarthritis. Not much fun, but when they did the left side it worked great. This time on the right, the 'fellow' doctor had a hard time placing the needles. It's real specific, they even use x-ray while placing them so they don't inject into the wrong area or too close to bigger nerves (at least that's my take on it as a patient). The right injection has been less successful, but hopefully I'll get back to my neck stretches and exercises so that's bound to help.

Challenges are hard when injury, sickness, and other life 'events' happen. I hope you don't feel angry with yourself about not being physically able to do your goals. It's real important to keep your spirits up and do what you can, when you can. That's been my lesson in life this year so I'm passing it on. PTSD is a tricky thing so stay on your toes and let the good moods and laughter have their day as often as you can!

So hang around folks' threads and the Tavern, and post here about what you are doing to get better and you can keep the feeling of connectedness going. NNext challenge will be here soon enough!

Hugs, Terinatum

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Are you thinking you'll do the next challenge? I hope things are looking up.

I am thinking about doing the next challenge with the same quests I tried last time as it sounds doable right now. There was a sudden need of surgery in the family so my challenge would have failed probably even though I hadn't had shoulder issues. Now things seem to have calmed down a bit so I should be able to concentrate on my quests starting next week and also my shoulder seems to be fine now. Next thing is to do another thread in the newer challenge forums, once I am done I'll link it here.

• Like 1

LV 2 Elf Scout

0%
0%

0%
0%

6%