Pull-Ups Like I'm 8 Again

VRGirl

My name is Valerie and this is my 2nd 6 week challenge, and my first as a scout. 

I've been a member of the Nerd Fitness Academy for a little over 2 months, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm getting SO much out of this experience, and I'm feeling amazing about myself and my performance. I am a PhD candidate in my last year of school, and I'm working hard to keep both my mind and body in shape. I was born a runner, but I lost a lot of my fitness abilities when I dove headfirst into school. I want to take that power back and be proud of my strength, my body, and what I can accomplish. 

Over the last couple of years, I have moved from barely able to run a mile, to completing 5 1/2 marathons in good time, but I'm still trying to break that 2 hour barrier: PR 2:00:08 (seriously.) In order to accomplish my main goal (below), I must get stronger and faster. My first 6 week challenge was interesting, and you can read it here: Smarter, Stronger, Faster

Main Quest: Run my first full marathon in as close to 4 hours as I can in January 2016 at the Arizona Rock n Roll Marathon (my family will be there to cheer me on W00T!)

Quest 1: Be able to do a pull up like it's not that big of a deal. As I get stronger, I get faster and I am convinced that this kind of strength will really help with my endurance

Measurement: A = Pull ups are kind of easy B = I can do the pullup, but I sort of want to die C = I am so close to a pullup, I can taste it.  

Reward: A = +4 STR ; B = +3 STR; C = +2STR 

Quest 2: Drink Less Alcohol - this is the main source of my bad calories. I am SUPER social, and a social drinker. 

Measurement: # of drinks per week total - A = 7 or less B = 9 or less C = 11 or less

Reward: A = +2 WIS/ +1CON ; B = +1 WIS/ +1 CON ; C = +1 CON

Life Quest: In order to become as competitive as possible for the market, which just opened, I MUST get my digital portfolio in order. I have had a pretty beautiful one open for over a year, but it's never been finished. Potential employers will be looking at it as soon as I get my first application submitted. This challenge, I will have my portfolio finished, polished, and market ready.  

Measurement: A = Finished and Polished; B = Finished but not yet polished; C = Almost finished! So close! 

Reward: A = +2 WIS/ +1 CHA ; B = +1 WIS/+1CHA ; C = +1 WIS

Motivation: Feeling good about my own accomplishments makes me proud of myself, and the direct result is confidence. I need to be confident and academically in a great place when I start interviewing late fall/winter. The more confidence, the more jobs I'll likely score. It only takes one - but I want the right one. 

• Like 1

Skaði Thistleside

Half Dwarf/Half Human : Scout 

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

STR 4/ DEX 1/ STA 4/ CON 3/ WIS 5/ CHA 4

"Je suis Prest." 

Your goals sound really great and support each other really well! Sometimes balancing busy university life with exercise and "life outside the university" seems like a huge balancing act but your goals seem realistic so there's no reason why you shouldn't succeed.

Edited to add: Otherwise good but I answered to this old thread, apparently time to head to sleep.:D

LV 2 Elf Scout

STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 7 | CON: 8 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Challenges: 1, 2

Running/biking 30-60 min: 0/12

0%
0%

Yoga or flexibility practice: 0/15

0%
0%

Physiotherapy sessions: 6/96

6%
6%