Cloaks and Daggers - The Ranger Costume Contest [Sept.14 - Oct.31]

Alright, Rangers!

We've been talking about this and dreaming about this. Now's the time to start doing this!

Not much in the way of rules or categories yet. I'm figuring that, as we usually do, we will come to working consensus via discussions in the thread.

Post pictures, talk trash, put up links to resources and most of all - HAVE FUN!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

My cosplay for camp has a cloak ;)

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I've already began scavenging parts for my two cloaks.  So I think I'll consider heading out to the fabric store tomorrow and see what I can come up with in the scraps section.

So glad this became a thing!

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

@Rurik Seeds. Those little asides I drop here and there are just seeds that I watch to see what grows. The hardy ones get my attention.

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm not a Ranger, but this sounds like a fun little idea!  Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! 

Hi, Oramac. We'd talked about an all-guild PVP, but I'm stretched thin right now. No reason someone else can't start one, though. I'd like to see what that would look like!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I don't do Halloween [not an Aussie holiday], but yeah when my Bec finishes my Anglo-Saxon Warrior's Coat I will post a pic. Though I have a lot of tablet weaving to do in order to make the belt. 

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

@Rurik Seeds. Those little asides I drop here and there are just seeds that I watch to see what grows. The hardy ones get my attention.

That method sounds awfully familiar... B)

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4)🕶️s, Cooking (7)🍳Fitness (2)💪💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

That sounds like how 90% of the Rangery has exploded about here lately.  It's a pure grassroots movement, born and bred in the Ranger forums.

• Like 4

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I don't do Halloween [not an Aussie holiday], but yeah when my Bec finishes my Anglo-Saxon Warrior's Coat I will post a pic. Though I have a lot of tablet weaving to do in order to make the belt. 

Halloween is just an excuse to do what we all secretly wanted to do anyway.

The coat sounds cool, as does tablet weaving...

That method sounds awfully familiar... B)

Heh. I watch and learn. Or perhaps I should say, I experience and learn, having had a few of those methods thrown in my general direction before. :highly_amused:

That sounds like how 90% of the Rangery has exploded about here lately.  It's a pure grassroots movement, born and bred in the Ranger forums.

Grassroots movement that has had a little extra watering and tending by you know who. ^^^ D_R  Of course, all of the nurturing in the world wouldn't make a difference if the soil wasn't fertile to start with, or the horse wouldn't drink, or [insert your favorite agricultural metaphor].

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Made my hubby a cloak many years ago for Halloween. Long dark grey with a hood.  He has worn it many times...  I have the fabric to make three more one for me in a dark heather blue and two purple ones for my girls.  

This has give me ideas....  

• Like 2

Ranger-Monk Hybrid - Do all the things and lots of BJJ

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Terra turns 50?!?!?

My cloak design/template/pattern is taking shape... soon I will need to recon the fabric store!

• Like 2

How are your plans coming along?

Some resources:

Still designing a character? D&D archetypes by class

larping.org - So much awesome!

A couple Pinterest Boards

Ranger

D&D Ranger

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Oh hell, I might as well jump on this. A cloak would be good to have after I crush my spartan race.

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Are you using larp standards for this? As in, everything has to be crafted or converted by hand? I hope not. It's fun, but better if optional

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4)🕶️s, Cooking (7)🍳Fitness (2)💪💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

Oh hell, I might as well jump on this. A cloak would be good to have after I crush my spartan race.

Wolf

Yay!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Are you using larp standards for this? As in, everything has to be crafted or converted by hand? I hope not. It's fun, but better if optional

No. It's whatever anyone wants to do. We have very flexible standards!

It's called a "costume contest" and is a PVP to have a place to put the thread, but we don't have any rules or categories!

In other words, we're making it up as we go along in true Ranger fashion. (Pun intended.)

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Big props for dropping all of the helpful hints and links across the forums, ShadowLion.  A few have even made their way into my inspiration board on Pinterest.

I've mentioned this in a few places now, but I'm tackling this cloak business with a two front approach.  As I'm a huge fan of both Fantasy and Sci-Fi Rangers, I've decided to attempt cloaks inspired by both,  So both the LARP and Wasteland links have been quite helpful in inspiring some of the thematic elements I'm considering for each.

• Like 2

Big props for dropping all of the helpful hints and links across the forums, ShadowLion.  A few have even made their way into my inspiration board on Pinterest.

I've mentioned this in a few places now, but I'm tackling this cloak business with a two front approach.  As I'm a huge fan of both Fantasy and Sci-Fi Rangers, I've decided to attempt cloaks inspired by both,  So both the LARP and Wasteland links have been quite helpful in inspiring some of the thematic elements I'm considering for each.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! And two cloaks are definitely better than just one. :)

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Here's a preview

40cdbba4b8d146887c4deaa1015606e5.jpg

You'll get a pic of the entire costume when it's together

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

• Like 8

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Excellent work, AJ.  That looks great so far!

• Like 1